• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Forum Avatar Request Thread

Coreda

header-mainxpkiz.png

After a remarkable six years the avatar request thread continues into its second edition for yet more avy shenanigans, edits, kudos, and pixel tweaking!

GAF has a pretty amazing avatar creation scene. From simple crops to background removal, or just avatars in need of a clean up, this is the place for it.

Read the rules, be friendly, and post your request in the thread. With any luck one of the benevolent wizards on GAF will make it for you. Happy shopping!

FYI - themed requests (eg: holidays, event inspired) are best kept in their own thread if there is one, as it's nice to be able to later browse them collectively.​

thingstoknow-subheadi2fjt8.png

listindentmarkerfzst5.png
The more complex the request, the less likely you'll get it.

The less specific the request, the less likely you'll get it.

Just because you make a request doesn't mean you'll get an avatar.

If you want the edges cleaned or background removed of your current avatar it helps to link a larger version of the image.

Be nice to the avatar creators! This is out of the kindness of others' hearts! Requesting changes is fine, but don't get crazy.​

thingstoknow-subheadi54kaa.png

Avatars must be 100 pixels wide × 120 pixels high max. See also FAQ below.

Avatars need to be under 50kb in size. (It's rare to exceed this anyway).

Don't get bummed out if you create an avatar for someone and they don't use it.

Don't get bummed out if someone else makes the avatar first.​

faq-subheadinguzkaf.png

Q: “I chose a transparent image for my avatar but when uploaded to GAF the background became white. What's happening, and how can it be fixed?”

A: Uploads larger than 100×120 pixels are auto resized and lose transparency. It’ll first need to be resized within the max dimensions then re-uploaded.​

faq-exampleqvj7z.png

tips-headingimageedit6ej1b.png

Pixlr.com | Free | Online

listindent-sub-indentw7kgl.png
A browser-based image editor with Photoshop-esque UI. Useful for simple resizing and adding avatar badges. Uses Flash.

Paint.NET | Free | Windows

Recommended by FillerB, Mike Hattsu and others, usually as an easier alternative to GIMP. See FillerB's tutorial here.

Photoshop | Commercial | Windows/OS X

“I never leave home without it.” – Michelangelo. 9/10 Renaissance painters can't be wrong. See Elements for the basic version.​

tips-editing-sub-head40jy7.png

Maintain the original aspect ratio of images. If resizing in place hold Shift (or equivalent) to scale proportionally.

For avatars with transparency check how it looks on a dark background, since it will be seen on GAF's dark theme.

If the image editor supports it layer masks are an ideal way to isolate/'cut' parts of an image non-destructively. Basic concept here.

Image quality can benefit being edited at a larger size. Adds scaling flexibility, detail, and as a bonus hides occasional imperfections.​

tips-editing-exampleplkc2.png

tips-imagehosts-subherqjw1.png

Imgur.com

Good for hosting PNG images. Unlike JPEGs the site doesn't further compress PNGs so it's a popular choice for the thread.

See this post for easier upload on Windows, including auto BBCode formatting (adds images per line but still a time-saver).

Abload.de

A GAF favorite for hosting original quality JPEG and PNG images. While the site is in German it's pretty easy follow the cues.

The default upload uses Flash—update: Flash no longer needed for multi-file uploads!

NoelShack.com

French host. Supports common formats in addition to PSD, TIFF, and SVG. Like Abload the site doesn't further compress images.

Upload using the red button. Below the thumbnails click Voir tous les liens and copy the link(s) from the URL des images section.

Hosts to avoid

TinyPic, Imageshack, Photobucket (prevents right-click saving and now hotlinks), Minus (GAF blacklisted).​

resources-headingavattqjm9.png

Popular around GAF for displaying support, hype and paying tribute avatar badges are often hard to source so I've linked some here for easier access.

Click for variants/large size. See the Tips section above for some recommended image editors. Seen others you'd like to share? Shoot me a PM.​
resources-spacer-198j5i.png

Consoles
resources-spacer-29zkfg.png

Hype

shenmuedefenseforcecpurc.png

Tributes

seasonalthreads-headijqj0l.png

Since Adam wore a fig bikini annual themed avatar threads have been a fun tradition on GAF. Revisit some from Christmas and Halloween below.

Curious about GAF’s avatar culture and what this thread gets up to? Check out this infographic-y milestone post of sorts from the previous thread.​

credits-1e2sdt.png

credits-39bpfj.png

Coreda

Nice work on the OT Coreda.

Hey, thanks. There were a few completely different headers but went with something more simple. Looks better on desktop since I added secondary pseudo-indents to avoid mobile's dual-indent margins, but figured most things from the Tips section down would be seen on desktop since it's aimed at creators.

There's also a great image uploading program I had in the draft that was cut due to imgur changing its API recently. If it gets fixed I'll be sure to add it back as it's super useful.

Added by me;

:p

Coreda

Mozendo

Thanks you two, and I'll definitely use the larger one for other sites that isn't limited to NeoGAF's avatar size. You two are the best!

Numb

new thread. nice

Could i get Snoop transparent.
With the area he is sitting on pillar and platform included.
e6hxz.jpg

No need to resize just transparent.
Thanks a million

Left the hand with the bird only one as it would need a redraw.

You're amazing! Thanks so much!

Sent you a PM but i figured i'd post here incase anyone else was interested...

As soon as you made me the stellar Bastion's Bird avatar i saw this comic....

Would anyone be able to take this nicer, official artwork (i believe it is) Bastion's Bird avatar Coreda made me and edit the fingers so that the bird's standing on the middle and he's flipping the bird?

snowblind-transparentxou7e.png

Or even one of a cut out "Salt Bastion" like this other one Coreda made...

snowblind-transparent0rusy.png

Not a huge deal but i saw the comic and instantly thought... fucking perfect! lol Thanks in advance if anyone's bored and feels like messing around.

Coreda

Would anyone be able to take this nicer, official artwork (i believe it is) Bastion's Bird avatar Coreda made me and edit the fingers so that the bird's standing on the middle and he's flipping the bird?

snowblind-transparentkoupt.png
snowblind-transparent53umq.png

See if these suit. Also looks like Abload just added a HTTPS toggle for image links.

Not to worry, this is exactly why I went to Tibet for seven years!

Nice one! (Happens to me, too :)

Ultimadrago

Can anyone get me the character on the left in a transparent (without clipping into the center figure, if possible)? I don't mind if it's just the upper-body or anything as long as the face and arm are showing! Thanks

Zackat

Okay can someone Avatarize me Durotan, or Durotan and Draka. Whichever you think looks/fits better. Same with keeping the background or making it transparent, I'll leave it up to you and whatever works the best. Or if you can even get it to work with how big these dudes are. Just love that shot from the new trailer I saw.

Kaizer

Banned
Could someone please resize/avatarize this picture for me please?

bbFcW2v.jpg

Feel free to crop some of the lower third chest/should area out if that helps so it focuses on the face. Thank you in advance!

Lnkn52

Wow, didn't know there was so much backstory on this thread. Great OT.

I'll keep lending a hand when time is available.

Okay, so this is not an avatar request, but a Photoshop request nonetheless. I have this image and I would just like to remove the logo from it (upper-left corner), while preserving everything else including quality and resolution. If anyone can do it, I would greatly appreciate it. PNG format would be preferred.

If it's not allowed to make non-avatar requests in this thread, please ignore this comment and I apologize. Thanks!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Could someone please resize/avatarize this picture for me please?

bbFcW2v.jpg

Feel free to crop some of the lower third chest/should area out if that helps so it focuses on the face. Thank you in advance!

fBPQw0K.png

[edit]

Since when can avatars be 100 by 120?

q4JUmUl.png

100 width version.

Fantomas

I suck at doing transparency on stuff, so if someone would like to help me out by getting rid of the background and leaving just Bart and a little bit of the squishy cup, I would really appreciate it. :)

Original unsized/uncropped image below.

Chanser

I suck at doing transparency on stuff, so if someone would like to help me out by getting rid of the background and leaving just Bart and a little bit of the squishy cup, I would really appreciate it. :)

Original unsized/uncropped image below.

dZ13u9u.png

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Sorry to ask this question here, but is possible to have a animated gif for a avatar? I saw one user with a gif and i want it too :$

Coreda

Can anyone get me the character on the left in a transparent (without clipping into the center figure, if possible)? I don't mind if it's just the upper-body or anything as long as the face and arm are showing! Thanks

ultimadrago-bluepen-tn6z49.png
ultimadrago-bluepen-tn3aj1.png

About the most usable area without redrawing the entire right side.

Top Bottom