• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gears of war vid on G4 right now

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
It looks OK

They are having an interview with Cliffy B. right now on G4TV.com...

The game has some great details but the movement is extremely stiff...

Did anyone else see it??

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Straightballin said:
Have they fixed all the shitty light bloom

I like the bloom lighting in GOW....it is subtle and it looks good in the game...

I am really surprised I wasn't more impressed by this game....it looks *awesome* in stills but running it looks......Kill Switchy and Jerky.....

BTW, Cliffy is pimping a GOW art book right now....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So it still looks like shit in motion? Man, I just can't get that one E3 video out of my head. Watching a poorly animated dude run across the screen while jittering about as he takes hundreds of bullets from all directions really killed my anticipation. I'm hoping it will turn out, though...

Looks better than Killzone.
What, the PS2 game? Yeah, it obviously looks millions of times better. If you meant the PS3 CG demo, then no, it wasn't even close (not that I believe any game will look as good as that demo).

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
dark10x said:
So it still looks like shit in motion? Man, I just can't get that one E3 video out of my head. Watching a poorly animated dude run across the screen while jittering about as he takes hundreds of bullets from all directions really killed my anticipation. I'm hoping it will turn out, though...

The new footage has a new daytime level but that jerkyness remains, I'm afraid...

Can anyone Tivo this tonight??

Mrbob

Kleegamefan said:
The new footage has a new daytime level but that jerkyness remains, I'm afraid...

Can anyone Tivo this tonight??

Ok, yeah, seriously the animation is jerky BUT...the enviroments look insane. The game isn't going to be run and gun. You need to use your enviroment to survive. I think Gears of War is the most beautiful looking next gen game by far. I think it looks better than the Killzone 3 PS3 trailer. The only place it is lacking is the animation, but it isn't like the Killzone 3 trailer is real, anyway. I expect the animation to get cleaned up before release.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I should be home watching this.

This is the one 360 game that kinda makes me want the damn platform a bit. I hope it turns out horribly. It pains me to open my heart to Sony and their Playstation 3, but I'll be damned if I become a completely unbiased gamer!!!1

dark10x

I think Gears of War is the most beautiful looking next gen game by far.
That's the thing, it LOOKS beautiful as hell...but there is so much more to making a good looking game than pure details.

They need to focus on the overall appearance. Animation is so damn important here and they are failing so badly. I also do prefer the appearance of the backgrounds to just about anything else shown this gen, but it very obviously is not technically on par in any way with that pre-rendered Killzone demo.

Coming from a PC developer, I wouldn't expect the animation to improve all that much...

Gattsu25

Banned
GDGF said:
I should be home watching this.

This is the one 360 game that kinda makes me want the damn platform a bit. I hope it turns out horribly. It pains me to open my heart to Sony and their Playstation 3, but I'll be damned if I become a completely unbiased gamer!!!1
Use GAF as a case study: owning multilple system has nothing to do with having little bias.

Coming from a PC developer, I wouldn't expect the animation to improve all that much...
Doom 3 and ... uh ...

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Mrbob said:
Ok, yeah, seriously the animation is jerky BUT...the enviroments look insane. The game isn't going to be run and gun. You need to use your enviroment to survive. I think Gears of War is the most beautiful looking next gen game by far. I think it looks better than the Killzone 3 PS3 trailer. The only place it is lacking is the animation, but it isn't like the Killzone 3 trailer is real, anyway. I expect the animation to get cleaned up before release.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this:

the Gears of War Footages *I* just saw:

Had fantastic textures

Had very jerky animation

Had a MAX of 4-5 characters on screen

Still had the crappy "tracer" bullet effects (sure hope they change this)

Looked to be around 20fps

Reminded me of Kill. Switch

I think PGR3, as a next gen game....is so much more impressive than this sofar.....keep in mind this is coming from a person who is *really* looking forward to GOW...

Yes, the texture are Really, Really good, and you can see how this could be a fun game but I dont think it would have that CG look KZ3 had even if GOW had a 60fps frame rate...

I do not doubt we will see KZ3 like stuff because GOW looks to be....I would say...about 1/3 there, but that is just my opinion on this....you probably dissagree with me on this though...

It would be great if anyone could Tivo/host this video tonite.....we would all be able to give our opinion then...

Doube D

Mrbob said:

Incidentally it looks too good for x360 dev kits if I recall. Wasn't it running on PS3 ish kits (what w/ dual 6800s and all)?? lol

oh and no, in no way shape or form does it even come to appraoch Killzone 3 but does look better than most titles out there (with the exception pf PGR3).

BigBoss

Kleegamefan said:
It would be great if anyone could Tivo/host this video tonite.....we would all be able to give our opinion then...

On what program did they show the GOW footage? Maybe the video will be uploaded to their website.

dark10x

Doom 3 and ... uh ...
Funny you mention that...

Doom 3 was id's redemption, as far as animation is concerned. Every single one of their other games was loaded with terrible animation. Quake 1 and 3 especialy. Just absolutely terrible...

Doom 3, however, might be one of the best animated PC games ever created. On the flipside, games like Far Cry and UT2004 are in the basement in that area. Even Half-Life 2 doesn't animate all that well at times. Still, they are all massive improvements over previous years. PC animation has come a LONG way, as your typical PC game 2-3 years ago had animation so bad it became the butt of many jokes. I still get a kick out of Jedi Knight 2's cutscenes. Could they possibly have done a worse job?

Mrbob

Kleegamefan said:
I couldn't disagree with you more on this:

the Gears of War Footages *I* just saw:

Had fantastic textures

Had very jerky animation

Looked to be around 20fps

Reminded me of Kill. Switch

Well I can base Killzone 3 off the fact that Killzone sucked, but I won't do that. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt before it comes out. Also, you don't think the framerate will be cleaned up before release? It isn't like this is a 2005 game. I was actually surprised how coherent the game is at the moment. Of course, I could get all excited about that Killzone rendered demo, but then look what happened with The Getaway. Also, I don't see how the barren wasteland in the Killzone 3 rendered demo looks better than the detailed enviroments in Gears of War.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Did you actually see it DD??

So Mr Bob saw it and I saw it....anyone else???

Yeah, GOW was running on GF 6800Ultra SLI @ E3 but Cliffy B. said it was running on X360 hardware now.....

I would love if all you guys could see this for yourself....

I don't see why we shouldn't give Epic the benefit of the doubt. Remember GoW isn't a launch title. They still have plenty of time to fix the framerate and animation issues.

IMO, I thought the G4 footage looked awesome. The graphics are mindblowing. I can't wait for this game.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Mrbob said:
Well I can base Killzone 3 off the fact that Killzone sucked, but I won't do that. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt before it comes out. Also, you don't think the framerate will be cleaned up before release? It isn't like this is a 2005 game. I was actually surprised how coherent the game is at the moment. Of course, I could get all excited about that Killzone rendered demo, but then look what happened with The Getaway.

Oh yeah...don't get me wrong Bob....they have tons of time to fix the game and, of course, KZ on PS2 did suck...

I am just giving impressions of what I saw, the way I saw it....

Again, I am a fan of the game and although I can "fill in the blanks" like everyone else, I am just trying to be as honest and as objective as I can be.....

As we can see by our differing opinions, impressions are highly subjective....it would be really nice if someone could host this video when it airs again tonite *hint hint* because I would like to see it again myself...

dark10x

Of course, I could get all excited about that Killzone rendered demo, but then look what happened with The Getaway.
The Getaway was an entirely different studio and one of the only Sony studios to out and out lie about the visuals in their game. They did so without any video footage either. They simply released those high-res shots. That's it. There was no demonstration with those visuals in motion.

There is no point in getting excited over the KZ demo, though. It's just too complex. You can say you prefer GoW's visuals, but that doesn't change the fact that they aren't even in the same ballpark as far as detail is concerned (we are comparing CG to realtime here, afterall). Even if they were able to come near that level of detail, the animation and movement of everything is just too good. I just don't see animation of that quality being possible within the context of a game.

I think Epic deserves a chance here, but I really don't have high hopes for the game as far as motion is concerned. So many developers just don't get it (Epic never has...). I'm certain the framerate will improve, though.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Here is an MP3 of the Cliffy B. interview....no video, though:

http://media.g4tv.com/audio/g4tv/Cifford_B_G4tv.com_segment.mp3

And here are the times they will be showing the episode again:

his episode also airs on:

7/30/2005 6:30pm ET / 3:30pm PT

7/31/2005 4pm ET / 1pm PT

8/1/2005 1pm ET / 10am PT

8/2/2005 10am ET / 7am PT

8/2/2005 1:30pm ET / 10:30am PT

8/3/2005 11:30am ET / 8:30am PT

8/4/2005 10am ET / 7am PT

8/5/2005 9:30am ET / 6:30am PT

Kleegamefan said:
It looks OK

They are having an interview with Cliffy B. right now on G4TV.com...

The game has some great details but the movement is extremely stiff...

Did anyone else see it??

dark10x said:
That's the thing, it LOOKS beautiful as hell...but there is so much more to making a good looking game than pure details.

They need to focus on the overall appearance. Animation is so damn important here and they are failing so badly. I also do prefer the appearance of the backgrounds to just about anything else shown this gen, but it very obviously is not technically on par in any way with that pre-rendered Killzone demo.

OK, WTH is some of you guys' problem with the animation? It was great! What, it's not enough like all the fancy animations in the Killzone video? THAT BECAUSE THIS IS AN ACTUAL GAME!

You can have all kinds of fluid and drawn out animation routines in cut scenes and such, but that doesn't work well with interactive characters in a fast action games! Think people! Think!

Can you imagine you inputing the move for ducking for cover but your character still gets shot to hell because some fancy drawn out animation routine running previous was still going on, or good enough tween frames bewteen that and your new inputed move was still being played out? Have you people forgotten the core gameplay lesson from the 8/16bit days? No fancy animation routine shall ever come before instaneous button response!

This kind of BS complaints are what you get if you take Sony's BS pre-rendered videos as gameplay facts.

Forsete

Gold Member
Impressive looking, really nice graphics and the effects look great. But I agree on the animation, stiff.

I'm sure they will fix that though.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Come now Shog, I agree with what you're saying in general - but we've all seen games that animate better then this.

Anyway, I figure people want animation to advance as much as the rest of the visuals as well - but they're in for a wait with that one...

Fafalada said:
Come now Shog, I agree with what you're saying in general - but we've all seen games that animate better then this.

Have you seen fast action twitchy shooters animated better than this? I've seen plenty of platformers animated better, since the jumping and running around in those tend to be slower and "floatier". But for a twitchy shooter, I can't imagine improving the animation unless you bar the twitchy movements from the user.

Anyway, I figure people want animation to advance as much as the rest of the visuals as well - but they're in for a wait with that one...

And I think people keep confusing passive entertainment for interactive ones. Videogames are not movies people. There are inherent obstacles for movie like animation in games. Get over it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The quality of that video's compression does absolutely nothing for the game. It's hard to make out most detail at all.

One thing that struck me though - he mentions it's running on X360. Is this the first time we've seen it on X360 hardware? Beta hardware?

dark10x

OK, WTH is some of you guys' problem with the animation? It was great! What, it's not enough like all the fancy animations in the Killzone video? THAT BECAUSE THIS IS AN ACTUAL GAME!
Has nothing to do with the Killzone demo (and I don't compare actual games to that pre-rendered movie either as I don't believe any games will achieve that). I think Gears of War features terrible animation in comparison to current generation games, however...

As I said in another thread, it looks like a PC game from 2001 with a new coat of paint.

I can que up any number of PS2 titles with superior animation in every way. Good animation does not need truly powerful hardware at this point (though it can obviously benefit). This is not a failing on X360s part, this is a failing on DE/Epic's part. Considering that they've yet to release a game with good animation, it does not suprise me. These characters animate as if they were running around in some MMORPG or something. It's that typical, no wieght, twitchy PC animation that I hate so much...

It actually does piss me off, believe it or not. I absolutely love the design of the backgrounds in this game and am very interested in exploring them. However, running around with some horribly animated dude right in front of my camera does not appeal. Hopefully they will give us a 1st person view in order to save us from animation hell.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Looks frickin awesome. I want to be first to say fuck you to all the "anime loving eastern art is teh best because they show cheescake and teenage angst while eateing ramen" because western art is fucking cool.

dark10x

Ryudo said:
Looks frickin awesome. I want to be first to say fuck you to all the "anime loving eastern art is teh best because they show cheescake and teenage angst while eateing ramen" because western art is fucking cool.
Hmm, did anyone actually say otherwise? GoW has awesome art design (at the backgrounds). It's just that, ya know, animation...

Though, that's pretty insulting to Eastern artwork. I think you need to open up your mind and learn to appreciate art from all over the world. You sound just as bad as those you critisize...

dark10x

m0dus said:
2006, kiddies. Don't endeavor judgement on the game's animation when it's at least a year or more away, and likely not yet running on final hardware :)
I don't think it will see much change, though. The fact that it is on unfinished hardware doesn't prevent them from using more complex and better animation. The framerate should see a massive boost, but the animation seems unlikely. Of course, I could be wrong, but their track record suggests otherwise...

Xenon

Animation looks better to me than E3. I loved the cut scene with them landing and getting out of the helicopter. I think the one thing that is going to stand out because of the increased detail of characters is the lack of random movement. Since cut scenes are all scripted they look great but watching a guy run with the same animation over and over really hurts the over all presentation. Hopefully this will be fixed with the next wave of games.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
dark10x said:
Hmm, did anyone actually say otherwise? GoW has awesome art design (at the backgrounds). It's just that, ya know, animation...

Though, that's pretty insulting to Eastern artwork. I think you need to open up your mind and learn to appreciate art from all over the world. You sound just as bad as those you critisize...

I do appreciate eastern art, its the wapanese i hate.

DCX

DCX
I looks great, if the gameplay is tight, it will be a contender for GOTY. The bullet trails don't bother me, i just hope it doesn't turn into a next gen Contra and more of a blend of Rainbow Six and Halo.

DCX

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I really hope there will be some destructible environment, the first explosion in the video looks really stupid because the building stays the same.

dark10x

At least we should be able to hope for a better camera...

Besides the choppy animation, the camera also prevents the game from looking smooth. The way it interacts with the environment is really bad and it has the choppy "mouse controlled" look. It's like, when a pillar gets in the way, the camera snaps into a totally different position. A lot of PC 3rd person games do that. There is no reason why they can't get rid of the "PC camera"...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
newsguy said:
Isn't "Emergence Day" sometime in late 2006? There's no way the final product will be that stiff.

I think 2006 is all they are saying right now. They still have dev time to polish up framerate and animation stuff.

Gattsu25

Banned
Vid looks ace =)

animation is somewhere in between Ghost Recon 3 and UT2K4 (i.e. not as bad as far cry/quake 3) so I'll refrain from any further complaints

Top Bottom