• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gears of war vid on G4 right now

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
It looks alright but it's hardly the huge step up one could hope for. No global shadowing and cramped, poly starved environments. I think both Xbox 360 and PS3 can do much better.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
cybamerc said:
It looks alright but it's hardly the huge step up one could hope for. No global shadowing and cramped, poly starved environments. I think both Xbox 360 and PS3 can do much better.

Have you seen pics of the realtime Gladiator game? Now that is what I call next gen, d00ds.

SpokkX

game looks fun, but not exactly groundbreaking

graphics are great, don´t think it will be a "halo-killer" though.. seems more stiff and strategic..

maybe what Brute Force SHOULD have been?

Pimpwerx

There must be a glitch in the matrix, b/c I swear I'm reading people complaining about this game's visuals. I actually like the animation. I mean, I guess I assume a lot of it's due to the framerate, but the shotgun recoil looks great, and I have no problem with the run animation. I suppose it might get repetitive, but all I've seen are brief 10-20 second snippets of the game.

I would like to see better transition animation, though not at the expense of reaction time. I'd also like to see the destructible environments. The particle effects are fine, but let's see them buildings at least crumble a little bit. But there's so much time for this game to improve, as opposed to some of the crappier stuff that's coming for launch, that I'm not worried. The cutscene with the heli was clearly the best part, but that's what you get with cutscenes. The lighting was so nice though. Lighting...the be all and end all of this gen IMO. :D

Oh yeah, the game actually looks fun. I like the tracer fire thing. I think it's used to help the player spot enemies. I do hope that it's not a universal thing. It would be nice to have some snipers or more advanced enemies with no tracer fire, so you'll have to take cover and try and locate the guy first before returning fire. But other than that, my only hope is the story doesn't completely blow. This game looks so damn good though. Can't wait to see more. And thanks to whoever upped the vid. PEACE.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cybamerc said:
Wha? From what I've read and can tell from the videos, it does use global shadowing...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i keep watching the video and i'm blown away. looks fucking awesome graphically (much better then any other "game" i have seen yet), but it looks really really fn to. kill.switch + squad play + vehicles = must have in my book.

dark10x

Thing is, this is just the beginning. The tip of the iceberg, if you will. I don't think we've had a true taste of next-gen just yet...

I can't wait to see what else is done with the UE3 engine. I'm also very curious to see how loading is handled with Gears of War. I'm hoping they do away with the PC style "load one level at a time" concept and go for streaming...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dark10x said:
Thing is, this is just the beginning. The tip of the iceberg, if you will. I don't think we've had a true taste of next-gen just yet...

I can't wait to see what else is done with the UE3 engine. I'm also very curious to see how loading is handled with Gears of War. I'm hoping they do away with the PC style "load one level at a time" concept and go for streaming...

back before GoW was announced, in one of the older UE3.0 demos, they talked about "no loading" and that the entire city would stream... not sure if that holds true for the console versions of UE3.0 though

Blimblim

The Inside Track
op_ivy said:
back before GoW was announced, in one of the older UE3.0 demos, they talked about "no loading" and that the entire city would stream... not sure if that holds true for the console versions of UE3.0 though
The whole UE3.0 engine was written with streaming content in mind. There is no way Epic themselves would not have streaming level for GoW.
Of course it does not mean that there won't be a loading screen between one gigantic level/city and another.

Dante

And I think people keep confusing passive entertainment for interactive ones. Videogames are not movies people. There are inherent obstacles for movie like animation in games. Get over it.

As an animator @ a video game company I couldn't agree more, the engines will always fuck your animations up to some extent, however there are different approaches to take you just have to keep viewing your work in an asset viewer and make necessary adjustments, we'll get close eventually. This game does indeed look a bit stiff, my problem isn't with the animation so much as the framerate wich looks very very slow at this point. I am expecting them to lock it @ 30fps by launch. Also remember in games you don't animate to a "shot cam" which means you have to do animate from every viewpoint much much more work always in much less time then our friends in film get with their shots.

dark10x

And I think people keep confusing passive entertainment for interactive ones. Videogames are not movies people. There are inherent obstacles for movie like animation in games. Get over it.
No shit. However, perhaps I've been spoiled by developers who get it right.

I do not expect movie like animation in a game, but I've played a great number of other games which all present far superior animation than GoW. Hell, I'm replaying Riddick (on the PC this time) right now, and the animation is fantastic for an FPS. It absolutely destroys GoW in that department.

When people rave about visuals, I would hope that animation is a part of it. Resident Evil 4, for example, looks as good as it does not simply due to its usage of technology. The animation is great and that plays a big role.

GoW animates like an old 3rd person PC game. Hell, Heretic II actually animates better and that's from, what' 1998 or 99? They just took a bunch of individual animations and stuck them together in a haphazard fashion. There are no transitions, no sense of weight or momentum, and no flair. It's all so stiff and jerky looking.

dark10x

MightyHedgehog said:
dark, why are you comparing an unfinished game to a finished one?
They've never delivered good animation before. What makes you think anything will change this time?

I will believe it when I see it.

Prior to Doom 3, I didn't think id would ever create a game that animated well. However, they delivered and proved me wrong. Difference is, Doom 3 demonstrated incredible animation from its very first showing...

What's bothering me is the praise. They deserve praise for some aspects, I agree, but I don't like to see people satisified with such poor animation. It's almost as if they are sending a message to developers that it's A-OK to deliever a game with poor animation.

I can agree, however, GoW looks to be their biggest budget title ever and because it's so campaign-focused, I'd imagine that animation will be something that is taken far more seriously this time around. I'm confident in the final game having very good animation in the end. It also helps that this is a sort of ambassador game to everyone showing off the UE3 engine...so I think it'll turn out fine. And they have many, many months to go on the game.

Zer0

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah, I saw it.

Looks better than Killzone.

oh my god,you were the smart guy of your class?

by the way

for me animation its important,as much as graphics,if you got a character with billions of poligons,shaders and all that crap,and animates like a 5 years old game the magic is gone

look at ghost recon3 the animation is superb.this gow maybe a eyecatcher in screens but in motion leaves a lot to be desired

Zer0

Banned
dark10x said:
There are plenty of 5 year old games that animate really well, though...

well a bad 5 years old games :)

the problem i see its that the gow developers are using the animation of unreal tournament ,but the third person view animations of this saga sucks

cybamerc

dark10x said:
Kinda like Splinter Cell perhaps?
Exactly.

Redbeard said:
How can you tell?
I've read about it somewhere (not GoW specifically but UE3) but I can tell because sometimes environment shadows aren't projected onto the characters, sometimes the characters don't seem to have a shadow, sometimes objects lack self-shadowing etc.

Redbeard

Banned
cybamerc said:
I've read about it somewhere (not GoW specifically but UE3) but I can tell because sometimes environment shadows aren't projected onto the characters, sometimes the characters don't seem to have a shadow, sometimes objects lack self-shadowing etc.

Where are you seeing this, exactly? I just watched the video looking for this stuff and nothing stands out to me as looking wrong, unshadowed, etc..

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Zer0 said:
oh my god,you were the smart guy of your class?

by the way

for me animation its important,as much as graphics,if you got a character with billions of poligons,shaders and all that crap,and animates like a 5 years old game the magic is gone

look at ghost recon3 the animation is superb.this gow maybe a eyecatcher in screens but in motion leaves a lot to be desired

Everyone knows you would dance to a different tune if it was PS3 exclusive.

J2 Cool

Looks very good, but I agree, Ghost Recon 3 really blows it away as an overall package. Their animation just reaches a different level. The environment concept art and still shots of GoW are hotter than the game in motion. Also, I need to see em lock the framerate. Right now it's definitely not.

cybamerc

Redbeard said:
Where are you seeing this, exactly? I just watched the video looking for this stuff and nothing stands out to me as looking wrong, unshadowed, etc..
Don't have the video on the computer I'm at now but in the beginning there's an object which casts a shadow on the ground but not on the character walking by it. Also the characters in the same scene don't seem seem to cast shadows. Later on there's a vehicle with no self-shadowing.

Kleegamefan said:
FYI, cybermerc is a developer, IIRC...
Haha... I'm not :)

Midas

I never understood why characters won't burst into pieces when you throw a grenade at them, it's the same thing in HL2. When will we see games where limbs will fly?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gibs were all the rage during the 90's, here's something that I can understand. HL2 pissed me in that regard because you could blow people and aliens into bloody chunks in the first game. This is also one of the things that worries me about SiN: Episodes as they are using the same engine, I don't know if this was a Valve's choose or some technical limitation.

SOF games have always been shit. Their only appeal was the stomach churning ghoul system for killing and dismembering people in the most gruesome ways.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
cybamerc said:
There is MANY unshadowed elements in the video. One of the things that makes it look inconsistent and therefore ugly and unpolished in my eye.

Same problem with the demo's at E3. It looked weird, some objext are lighted completely, some have shadowing and look good, it's crazy and looks so ugly. The art and technology is good, no one is agrueing that, it just needs to come together. I'm sure it will. :)

But, like I said, I can't make myself like this video, or find it impressive...

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Nice vid. Quite underwhelmed by the game so far though. I guess this is the reason most devs don't show much work in progress media. Those animations just piss me off.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ryudo said:
Everyone knows you would dance to a different tune if it was PS3 exclusive.
Well, I can easily say the same with you and the Xbox/XBox360...but I can't say that about Zer0...mainly because I don't know who he is :b

Top Bottom