• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Girl Season 3 |OT| You gave me an OT, I gave you an OT... Gave me OT got you OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawwwwww. That was a really sweet episode. And damn funny too. Coach and Winston together was fantastic. And loved seeing Bearclaw again.

The best part was Schimidt's part of the video at the end.

Tonight's ep was really good. If the show was consistently that funny and entertaining it would be right up there with my fav sitcoms.

We need Schmidt and Cece back together. The writers need to find a comic balance to Jess and Nick because mostly what we get is yelling. Last night's episode was sweet but it still wasn't as funny as the consistency of last season.

Linius

Damn, this is one of my favourite New Girl episodes I think. Especially the birthday movie was amazing. Such a great episode!

Ym6.gif

And how cool was that? :D

big ander

Really great episode, especially Winston and Coach's bake off. Favorite moment was probably in the surprise video though when Tran showed up silent and then "he said a bunch but it was really weird and racist". Also liked Sadie and Outside Dave in it

Other best line: "Do you have any like, time-consuming and free activities in Griffith Park?" "Gross....suicide?"

inm8num2

'New Girl' sued for copyright infringement

Fox’s New Girl is being accused of plagiarism, EW has confirmed.

According to court papers filed Jan. 16, Stephanie Counts and Shari Gold are suing New Girl creator Elizabeth Meriwether, William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Peter Chernin, Jacob Kasdan, and Twenty-First Century Fox for copyright infringement.

In the lawsuit, which EW has obtained, Counts and Gold allege that prior to New Girl, they had a script for a pilot for their show hopeful Square One, which was met with favorable interest in the industry, but they weren’t able to make a deal. They worked on this from 2006-2011. Once New Girl aired, Counts and Gold hired a lawyer. Fox allegedly made the writers a $10,000 settlement offer, but they refused the money. (UPDATE: A rep for New Girl tells EW the network and studio have no comment.)

Square One is based on Counts’ real-life experience of moving into a three-man bachelor pad after learning that her husband was having an affair, and the lawsuit lists many similarities between the two shows, including “both protagonists are awkward, quirky women around the age of thirty, the name of the protagonist’s unfaithful beau in each work is Spencer, the plot of both works revolves around the protagonist moving in with three guys, the three new guy roommates in each work have identical personality traits, and the best friend in each work is named “CeCe” or has the initials ‘C.C.’.” Basically, the lawsuit alleges, “New Girl was nothing more than a slavish copy of Square One…if [a person] is give a simple description of Square One, would immediately identify the show as New Girl.”

Counts and Gold are seeking credit as the show’s true creators as well as “compensatory, statutory, punitive and exemplary damages.”

big ander

Why female wish fulfillment? And why levy that as a complaint? The "pulling off a surprise birthday party" plot is a popular one on sitcoms and I don't think I've ever seen a complaint of that type. I mean because of course it's wish fulfillment that's the entire point of that plot line. That a character thinks their friends didn't pull through and they have to put on a front that they failed so that they can actually surprise them later with exactly what they wanted.

More conspicuously though, if the party had been for Nick or Coach-- would you have specified "male wish fulfillment"? Genuinely curious.

Enzom21

Jess was the worst part of the episode.
Something really bothered me about her just diving into that cupcake.
Even if it had been her actual party, her not waiting for anyone else to get there seemed insane.

Coach and Winston's bake off was great. "Behind!"

New episode tonight after the Super Bowl:

"Prince"

Jess and Cece are invited to a party at the mansion of music superstar Prince (playing himself), and the guys come up with a scheme to crash the gathering.

But he did ask someone if they wanted pancakes, which is good enough for me.

It is obvious he has a good sense of humor about himself. The pancake joke was great, but the butterfly was my favorite thing. Especially at the end when it followed him as he stormed off after Cece beat him.

Blastoise

Banned
What a great episode. Everyone was on fire. I'm really glad coach is a permanent fixture now. Missed the guy from Happy Endings.

big ander

Ok Prince was nice, but Exes was hilarious. Excellent rendition of the standard exes sitcom story in the A plot, another excellent rendition of the standard hook-up apartment sitcom device in the B plot.

When Coach came back I wasn't very excited. I couldn't see where he'd fit in. After he and Winston baked cakes the deal was sealed: he has a place, and he's hilarious when set against Winston and/or Schmidt. This only firmed that up. Just the three of them talking sex positions in Schmidt's living room was hysterical. Coach and Winston were probably the biggest source of jokes overall this ep, from "I'll probably get ham" to Coach's contacts to Winston trying to help with the plan to Winston pretending he knew the Uh-oh Oops.

The guests here were so great too. Mary Elizabeth Ellis was fun if unvaried, the guy doing Beverly made a role that could have been incredibly forgettable into something quite fun, and the girl playing Coach's hook-up had so many great reaction shots (for some reason her eating the strawberries slayed me). Best of all might have been Bertie, she was hilarious.

Nick and Jess ar estill definitely the center of the show (they were cute and fun all episode, liked Nick's multiple beer jokes), but it's wonderful to have the supporting and guest cast firing on all cylinders like this.

The common Winston and Coach pairing is great, really enjoyed Exes.

After a pretty uneven set of episodes in the fall, I think they've settled in nicely so far in the new year.

Linius

I'm mostly happy because she's hot. And her role is about the fact that she's hot. Almost a shame New Girl isn't on HBO :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom