• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Godzilla Game Announced For PS3

LDAF

Aww, I saw the thread title and really hoped that Godzilla 4 (from Pipeworks) was being developed. :c

Takao

Banned
Is it some of the same people or something? Because it was Pipeworks who did those games under Foundation 9 IIRC...

The Kickstarter states that it's "most of the key talent from the classic Pipeworks/Atari Godzilla games".

Apparently Pipeworks made this Godzilla game a few months ago ...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wanted to love the Dreamcast Godzilla badly, but it was so shitty.

Destroy All Monsters Melee was great fun, and easily the best Godzilla game ever. Hope this turns out well!

Maxim726X

The NES Godzilla game is the GOAT.

2905945-vlege7g.jpg

DAMM was fucking amazing on GC. I was so hyped for Unleashed (not referring to Sanic) on Wii, but the controls apparently being shitty put me off. :( Might be good with effort as everyone said the Sonic Riders games were shitty to control but I never had trouble, hell the Wiimote on its side in ZG is fine to me. Actually Unleashed (now referring to Sanic) on Wii had so called awful controls for the Werehog, not a problem to me.

Still, I've been hoping for a Wii U remake of Unleashed which I think Sunstone even said they pondered about, but would rather get Kaiju Combat on Wii U. But there's been total silence from them since and it was a while ago.

Stark

Banned
Namco has a pretty good record with these kinds of games, so I'm pretty excited. Though... their is a history with Godzilla games.

Ps3? With each new gen I keep hoping for a next gen Godzilla game with a budget behind it and top of the line graphics and design. Always disappointed.

DAMM was fucking amazing on GC. I was so hyped for Unleashed (not referring to Sanic) on Wii, but the controls apparently being shitty put me off. :( Might be good with effort as everyone said the Sonic Riders games were shitty to control but I never had trouble, hell the Wiimote on its side in ZG is fine to me. Actually Unleashed (now referring to Sanic) on Wii had so called awful controls for the Werehog, not a problem to me.

Still, I've been hoping for a Wii U remake of Unleashed which I think Sunstone even said they pondered about, but would rather get Kaiju Combat on Wii U. But there's been total silence from them since and it was a while ago.

Unleashed would have been fantastic if it allowed the use of the Classic or GameCube controller.

Takao

Banned
Famitsu has gone up with its first online preview of Bandai Namco’s newly announced Godzilla game for PlayStation 3.

The mission-based action game will have players destroying various buildings and weapons as the 50 meter beast while resurrecting the soul of movie special effects.

From the film’s tint to its camera angles, and to the explosion of gunpowder and so on, the game promises to reproduce the special effects of years past.

When Godzilla first appeared in Tokyo in 1954, he was taken down by the “Oxygen Destroyer” secret weapon. But he’s since resurfaced. And using his overwhelming power, players will advance through stages and terrorize the city’s people.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/06/first-look-godzilla-playstation-3#dSlmfJB7WSSQoDGy.99

I like the direction this is heading.

Monsterarts, heisei suits, fuck this bridge, fuck this building etc.

The inevitable jank will only make it better.

Drayco21

This seems like it could be interesting, hopefully there are other Kaiju in it and some really cool kaiju fights, and it's not all building destruction.

Takao

Banned
I don't know if this means anything, but the Famitsu article credits Warner Bros/Legendary alongside Toho/Bandai Namco in the copyright notice. Maybe it'll have more than just Heisei?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Godzilla games are usually garbage in my experience (Those fighter ones were at least) but if this is taking a more "Rampage"-y approach I'll give it a chance... maybe.

The last Godzilla game to take the "Rampage" approach was arguably the worst Godzilla game ever made. Godzilla Generations. Has the music, though, so it's not all bad.

I don't know if this means anything, but the Famitsu article credits Warner Bros/Legendary alongside Toho/Bandai Namco in the copyright notice. Maybe it'll have more than just Heisei?

According to Matt Frank Warner Brothers/Legendary has the rights to their version of Godzilla. Which means it's probably in the game as well.

Drayco21

I can't imagine they'd put out a Godzilla game this year without some kind of tie-in content for the American movie. Hopefully this means multiple playable characters.

Takao

Banned
ANN is reporting that Godzilla 2K14 will be in the game:

Bandai Namco Games is announcing on Thursday that it will release the PlayStation 3 game Godzilla in Japan this winter. The action game lets you play the monster itself against human civilization, as you clear missions by destroying buildings and weapons. The game will recreate the look of tokusatsu (special effects) movies, including signature tokusatsu camera angles and gunpowder explosions, with the latest graphics.

Famitsu magazine describes a backstory that takes its cues from TOHO's first Godzilla movies: Godzilla, who appeared in Tokyo in 1954 and was brought down by the secret weapon Oxygen Destroyer, has somehow made landfall again. The player must destroy buildings in the stage with Godzilla's iconic attacks. The game will also have the 2014 American version of Godzilla from Gareth Edwards and Legendary Pictures.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ter-playstation-3-game-by-bandai-namco/.75947

Bluth54

Unleashed would have been fantastic if it allowed the use of the Classic or GameCube controller.

Yeah I can't believe they didn't put in Classic and Gamecube controller support into the game, especially since they released the game on PS2 as well. If only it didn't have such shitty motion controls, it could of been a really great, fun little fighting game like DAMM.

Ridley327

DAMM was about as good a Godzilla game as you could ever want as a fan of the Showa series, but this seems to be really set on evoking the production values (such as they were) in a way that DAMM wasn't interested in accomplishing, which has merit in of itself. It's likely not going to be a particularly great game, but it sounds like its heart is in the right place.

Top Bottom