• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 Mp screenz - new maps: Epitah, Shrine and Last Resort - Brute Chopper

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Okin said:
If anything, Halo 3's graphics are very inconsistent. Some screens look OMFG awesome, but then some, like this one, look like an EA game.

[IMGhttp://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/800/800896/halo-3-20070701092602842.jpg[/IMG]

while i disagree that there is anything really bad about that screen (amature?), the quality of shots depends largely on the actual composition of the shot. this doesnt only apply to halo obviously, poor shots can make great looking games look worse then they are. see some forza 2 media, the latest kayne and lynch thread, certain mass effect screens, etc.

ice cream said:
LAG heaven...

i'm sorry, but you all know it's true...
I doubt it.

Halo 2, I've had games where there was a shitload of vehicles in the same area at one time, and I never had any lag problems.

Maybe a framerate hitch here or there, but that is not lag at all.

Every time they release new screens, it just keeps looking better and better.
I'm hella psyched for SP content. PLEASE BE AT E3. :(

My goty automatically.

soco

i saw that first screenshot and thought, oh shit, this is gonna go places.

and then i saw the others and they look pretty good.

op_ivy

Karg said:
Yeah, I guess it kinda looks like you can get in there. Thanks for the pics. :D

pretty sure you cant. at least in the leaked internal beta vids it looked completely inaccessable

Karg

op_ivy said:
pretty sure you cant. at least in the leaked internal beta vids it looked completely inaccessable

Bah! Then why even have screenshots of inside an area that you can't get to? Maybe it was locked down.

Redbeard

Banned
It's functional but certainly nothing I'd call impressive. The whole thing has an almost cartoony look to it, like the armor looks like some kind of cartoonish plastic instead of metal. I guess that's the look they're going for, but I'd prefer a more realistic approach like the old Halo 2 premier trailer. Hopefully the single player looks more along those lines.

I have a feeling just like previous screens that there is extra AA which hides alot of the jaggies...

I hope by release Bungie can pump in a bit more AA, because that was one of the main problems I had with the multiplayer graphics.

GhaleonEB said:
Halo 3 MP is shaping up to be inredibly impressive visually, and we still have only seen less than half the maps, and almost none of the features.

I suppose I should say "OMG the hyperbole cuts my eyes", but I'm just as bad with other games so I won't do that. But incredibly impressive, really? I like the cleanliness of it, but I'm really not seeing the incredible.

On that note though, I really like the way the rocky and grassy ground looks. Reminds of treks in the mountains back home, so that's very cool.

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
Halo 3 MP is shaping up to be inredibly impressive visually, and we still have only seen less than half the maps, and almost none of the features.

i wonder about that statement. bungie must have meant that they have really unvieled (complete with names), cause we have certainly seen more then that.

1. valhala
2. snowbound
3. high(er, lol) ground
4. last resort
5. epitaph
6. shrine

but we have also "seen" (or heard of)...

7. the industrial complex with chain link fences from mp vidoc
8. the forerunner bridge structure from mp vidoc (gyrophobia-lookalike)
9. concept art for possible lockout remake
10. jub-jub

am i missing any?

bungie has also said that there would be approximately as many mp maps as halo 1 and 2 had (which was what? 10-12?)

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, lots of new pics in there. But DO NOT DIRECT LINK THEM. Resize first, holy damn those are large. :lol

that likely explains why the resized ones dont show hardly any aliasing

Okin

GhaleonEB said:
Part of the reason for that is there is mixed compression going on. Some look native, others like this one have some nasty compression artifacting. I think IGN sized them all the same way, but that's not how Bungie provided'em.

Well, compression is one thing, but odd-looking normal mapping, lack of geometry in the background, funky lighting, and uninteresting shaders stand out as worse problems in that shot.

Don't get me wrong, other screens look amazing. I'm just pointing out that some screens still really fall short of expectations.

GhaleonEB

AltogetherAndrews said:
I suppose I should say "OMG the hyperbole cuts my eyes", but I'm just as bad with other games so I won't do that. But incredibly impressive, really? I like the cleanliness of it, but I'm really not seeing the incredible.
This kind of scope:

halo-3-20070701092604686.jpg

Plut this kind of detail:

halo-3-20070701092751684.jpg

Is incredibly impressive to me. THe quality of the lighting, details like grass and such, excellent particle, explosion and weapon effects. I'm not into game x is better than game y, but this is at the top tier of what I've seen from any console game. IMO, of course.

halo-3-20070701092743044.jpg

I think that's a pretty picture.

Frenck

Banned
One of the rare cases of a next-gen game looking better in such zoomed in high-res screenshots. The textures don't suffer in the least, you can see all the scratches and little patterns on every single object on the screen where most other X360 or PS3 games would degenerate into a blurry mess of washed out colors.

I mean, damn, just look at the sand textures.

Easily up there with Gears.

Frenck said:
One of the rare cases of a next-gen game looking better in such zoomed in high-res screenshots. The textures don't suffer in the least, you can see all the scratches and little patterns on every single object on the screen where most other X360 or PS3 games would degenerate into a blurry mess of washed out colors.

I mean, damn, just look at the sand textures.

Easily up there with Gears.

Yup, the detail texture really make it. While some of the normal maps look muddy at that resolution you can really see the detail down to the pixel level!

GhaleonEB said:
This kind of scope:

halo-3-20070701092604686.jpg

Plut this kind of detail:43044.jpg[/IMG]

snip

I think that's a pretty picture.

seriously mate???

people need to stop hyping this games graphics.

It looks fun, I bet it plays fun, but it doesnt look that impressive graphically, and that scale there is just normal. Nice but nothing unusual. Incredibly impressive is ridiculous. How would you judge crysis MP then. Beyond God?

Actually the map pics look pretty good, but the action pics dont look too hot

peace

Okin

GhaleonEB said:
This kind of scope...

Plut this kind of detail...

Is incredibly impressive to me....

What scope? The game is an FPS. I would expect the character models to be detailed. The backgrounds and levels, however, aren't anything special. The tops of the transistors or whatever on the new zanzibar are about as round as a stop sign. It is not a technological feat here to have grass on the ground.

I will say again, though, that the ambient light simulation on the spartans is great looking.

Also, I'm sad to find out that these are probably resized pics. No confirmation of AA it seems. :(

Shawn128

Man, this game looks so ace.

But I find the helmet designs to be atrocious. Perhaps its because I grew up on Master Chief, but MC's style helmet is the only one I like. I'd rather there be a 'helmet editor' than pre-made ones to choose from

See, the problem here then is that I am comparing it to game x, y and so forth. And in that respect, and going by what we saw in the beta as well as what we're seeing here, the scope and scale doesn't seem so grand. I actually like the look of it (barring that chopper), nice and clean, but these comparisons I make to other games aren't necessarily working in favor of cutting Halo 3 all that much slack, at least in terms of scope. But then these are multiplayer maps designed for a certain amount of players, so I'm not expecting the maps to cover massive distance. I'm hoping for some real epic stuff from SP.

And to be fair, Halo 2 screens never seemed impressive either, but it was a lot nicer in motion. Everything will be fine, I'm just not understanding the "incredible" talk.

Proelite

Insane parallax textures, and low polygon models. ingenious because it runs and looks great.

Textures are the most detailed i've seen on a game yet.

GhaleonEB

nelsonroyale said:
seriously mate???

people need to stop hyping this games graphics.

It looks fun, I bet it plays fun, but it doesnt look that impressive graphically, and that scale there is just normal. Nice but nothing unusual. Incredibly impressive is ridiculous. How would you judge crysis MP then. Beyond God?

Actually the map pics look pretty good, but the action pics dont look too hot

peace
I'm pretty far from the only one impressed here. And my point wasn't that the first shot was OMG ginormous, but that the level of detail is incredibly high (as others are pointing out), and that's on a pretty big scale for the kind of detail we're seeing. Many games have blurry or less detailed textures extremely close up, but this isn't one of them. (Gears is much smaller in MP scale, for example.) And I said top tier of console games to specifically head off 1) lists of games that look better (pointless and thread-derailing) and PC games (Crysis, for example). My statement had a narrow scope. You are looking for controversy where there is none.

I'm impressed. You think it's just okay? Fine with me. :)

Frenck said:
Seriously, the textures are incredible. Take a look at this.

How can anyone claim that these are not first-class graphics?
trolls can :(

And I think that is my favourite screenshot of the whole set. It's insanely detailed.

op_ivy

Visualante said:
The maps look fun, well except from what I see of Epitah.

really? that one looks like one of the more fun maps i've seen from halo 3 so far. looks like it has all the fun parts of midship and colossus

Tieno

I think Edge best summed it up how I feel about Halo's MP visuals so far after playing the beta.

Visually, Halo 3 has a lot to prove, with the success of Epic’s Gears Of War raising the expectations and Bungie itself stoking the fires each week in studio updates via its website. Halo 3 doesn’t disappoint. The rich, colourful environments debuted in the multiplayer beta have a bright clarity, creating an unusually consistent game-world in which everything looks like it belongs.

Realism has never been a goal that Halo has chased, but that’s never prevented the series from creating vibrant, believable worlds and that stands true a third time around. The HDR lighting which floods every map as you tear around them on bright sunny days may be the first thing you notice over Halo 2, but it’s Halo 3’s use of environmental detail (greenery, water, snow) and, most importantly, scale, that makes a lasting impression.

There are games out there that look better, but I don't really care nor does it have any bearing on my excitement for the game. I like the look and it's great. Love the game itself even more.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
OverHeat said:
The trolls have arrived

Bailout.gif

It you mean me, then no...
I love Halo.. I was just wondering about the fps.. its like the only thing that cannot be seen on the screenies...

(and no, unfortunaly, i haven´t been able to play the beta)

Okin

OverHeat said:
The trolls have arrived

Bailout.gif

Oh come on. Don't trash up the thread with this. I really hate it when people post this kind of shit, because it just kills discussion. If any trolls do exist, let the mods take care of them. Otherwise, cross the bridge with the rest of the goats and stop making a fuss out of someone else's criticisms.

/rant against everyone that posts this stuff.

armubaba

Maximilian E. said:
so whats the info on the framerate? Could it be 60fps or are they locking it at 30fps?

(not that it matters, right sony-madden08 fans?)
:D

For a game like Halo, I don't think 60 FPS is necessary at all. I would assume Bungie's locking it at 30.

Top Bottom