• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Details, Clarifications & No Beta Currently Scheduled

So, my concern here is that they only rule out a "massively asymmetrical advantage" instead of any advantage.

I mean, it's not something I boycott a game over, but it does feel like a pretty significant philosophy change if it's not a balanced trade-off.

I realize they say the hope is to provide a balance, but my only concern would be that this exists at the top of the leveling scale instead of at the start.

It sounds similar to what Alan Kertz has got with BF3's balance. You might be at an advantage for a specific situation given your loadout and there'll be a few options the opposing player has to counter that.

My biggest concern is one of the best parts of Halo's MP is everyone starts out with the same weapon and has to fight over the power weapons. There's very little camping in Halo because of this and the gameplay is better for it, but from the sound of it 343i might be moving away from this in favor of a more customizable player experience.

I think anyone who values Halo's level playing field is nervous about it, particularly in light of how little information we have. I'm very concerned myself, but not drawing any conclusions until we actually know the details.

Even though I've been supporting the possibility of a good "perk" system, I am still nervous about it; I didn't really like the direction Reach went. Its a good nervous for me, though, I see potential at the least.

Hurmun

Neo Member
Though I was more hesitant at first about the idea of 'perks', as long as players are matched up well with either a visible or hidden 'skill' system I won't really be worried at all.

I just wan't Halo 2's matchmaking system again along with the cool emblems. I felt like I was the best in the world when I reached the purple and blue colors. Once I hit level 37, I was happy as hell!

I think anyone who values Halo's level playing field is nervous about it, particularly in light of how little information we have. I'm very concerned myself, but not drawing any conclusions until we actually know the details.

Agreed. I think we're all nervous hearing about this after Reach, or at the least, not jumping for joy about more sandbox/playing field altering equipment. 343 aren't stupid, but at the same thought, Bungie wasn't stupid either and we still got vanilla Halo Reach, didn't we?

Cautious feelings.

That said, if it is a far cry from the classic Halo experience I am sure "classic/barebones" playlists will be available at launch. I'm just going to take a wait and see approach, and while I could be worried, I'm just going to be excited for something new and unknown to look forward to. My biggest complaint with Reach wasn't the AA but rather the movement speed, jump height and bloom.. Now that's not to say certain AA's didn't bug me, but I imagine 343 has that in mind with whatever they are doing.

You know what I'm worried about though? I really wanted the Bubble Shield to come back, but it seems equipment will still not be present.

I just wan't Halo 2's matchmaking system again along with the cool emblems. I felt like I was the best in the world when I reached the purple and blue colors. Once I hit level 37, I was happy as hell!

I don't know how this escapes play testing. I haven't seen a single person say they disliked the system. and the colors! Man the colors! Each set of three was a new challenge to overcome. I remember when getting 28 was the greatest moment ever, especially since up until the TU the highest I touched was like 17. Then it was the Watermelon ranks, then the Pink Lemonade, and finally, the purple and blue goodness of the upper 30s. GOD WHAT A TIME IT WAS.

Blueblur1

I know they were glitches, but it made melee combat much more exciting and they weren't really cheap glitches either. You could learn to get better with them and it did help make you a better player.
It also made melee combat non-existent.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
They didn't really give any new info.

If they're not going to share much right now they should have not tried answering at all. It was basically what we already knew/figured out already.

Khezu

Oh ya, that stuff was neat.

Also halo 2 had that nifty clan system, it was pretty simple but wall really well executed, made finding custom games really easy. Why did that never return for 3 or Reach? Bungie being lazy or was it MS being all weird with XBLive again? Would love for that to return.

Hurmun

Neo Member
It also made melee combat non-existent.

I understand what you're saying, but I feel it kept the gameplay at a fast pace. Rather than sit there and hit the guy (3-4 times I believe) and in the process of that risk getting shot by another teammate or you could BxR and move on.

Oh ya, that stuff was neat.

Also halo 2 had that nifty clan system, it was pretty simple but wall really well executed, made finding custom games really easy. Why did that never return for 3 or Reach? Bungie being lazy or was it MS being all weird with XBLive again? Would love for that to return.

I have no idea why it wasn't brought back. When I was really into competitive Halo and MLG the clans meant everything since custom games were the best way to get practice. Getting into a "well known clan" with some of the pro players meant a lot then.

I miss Halo 2 but I do like the other games as well. I think they need to just bring back some of those elements from H2.

thatbox

Banned
Nothing they've said makes me feel comfortable about where Halo is going. Which is fine for the series, probably, but I guess it's just time for me to leave. I didn't pick up Anniversary and I doubt I'll be buying this. It will be weird not going to a midnight launch for a Halo game :(

KageMaru

My biggest concern is one of the best parts of Halo's MP is everyone starts out with the same weapon and has to fight over the power weapons. There's very little camping in Halo because of this and the gameplay is better for it, but from the sound of it 343i might be moving away from this in favor of a more customizable player experience.

I don't think you should be that concerned, they pretty much addressed your post already:

although it should be noted this will not allow players to arrive in a game session with what are traditionally called “power weapons”

It sounds like we'll still be fighting over power weapons.

We should play some halo soon.

Nothing they've said makes me feel comfortable about where Halo is going. Which is fine for the series, probably, but I guess it's just time for me to leave. I didn't pick up Anniversary and I doubt I'll be buying this. It will be weird not going to a midnight launch for a Halo game :(

Honestly feeling this way right now. I feel like 343 is just shoving the BR in our faces in hopes that it will make up for the perks system which will run the game into the ground.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Ichabod

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
And sure, it's not impossible to balance out a perk system, the problem from a gameplay perspective is that the more variables you put into a game, the harder it is to balance, the less reliable your core gameplay mechanics become, and the random the experience becomes. For me, a game is all about reliable systems, the more random the experience, the less fun it becomes, the more fustrating it becomes.

A friend of mine echoed this sentiment to me while we were playing MW3 the other night. He said he missed playing Halo because the combat has always (well, prior to Reach anyway) emphasized marksmanship over perks, loadouts, killstreaks, deathstreaks, attachments, etc. Basically, your ability to control the high ground, power-weapons/items, and flow of the match was almost entirely based on good aim/shot placement, teamwork, and wile. He said while MW3 is enjoyable in its own derivative way, he pines for a shooter where the better man wins based on precision with a rifle rather than how many jets and helicopters he has in the sky.

While I agree with him, I'm afraid the days of barebones gun-on-gun dueling are over. Tastes and preferences have changed and right now, the numbers say CoD is king. While I highly doubt Halo will ever turn into CoD-lo, I think H4 will most likely try to straddle the line between keeping Halo Halo and injecting some component of CoD-ness to keep the brand relevant.

Speaking of power weapons, I really hope they get rid of the rocket launcher in 4. If they don't, I hope its much more useful against vehicles than it is against on-foot players. The damn thing was awful in Reach, as if it wasn't OP enough in halo 3.

While I highly doubt Halo will ever turn into CoD-lo, I think H4 will most likely try to straddle the line between keeping Halo Halo and injecting some component of CoD-ness to keep the brand relevant.
All I'd like to see copied from COD is the option to drop into matches already in progress, and having sprint as a base player trait if possible.

I think Reach's cosmetic-only rewards/customization was the absolute right way to go - it just needs to be tweaked and expanded.

All I'd like to see copied from COD is the option to drop into matches already in progress, and having sprint as a base player trait if possible.

I think Reach's cosmetic-only rewards/customization was the absolute right way to go - it just needs to be tweaked and expanded.

I agree with the option to drop into matches in progress, but there should be a time limit, like beyond halfway into the game timer you shouldn't be able to. Not only because its not fun to play the last couple minutes of a game, but mainly because I like opponents to be consistent so it actually feels like a match.

I agree with the option to drop into matches in progress, but there should be a time limit, like beyond halfway into the game timer you shouldn't be able to. Not only because its not fun to play the last couple minutes of a game, but mainly because I like opponents to be consistent so it actually feels like a match.
Oh yeah, Halo's no-drop-in policy makes for a more fair and meaty match, when nobody drops out that is. But shit happens, and I'd rather not have to fight an entire team all by lonesome if it could be avoided. But they could also solve that by having some option to forfeit the game without being penalized.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
GTTV had no new info or new footage.

I am shocked.

borat-not-jb.jpg

Overdoziz

Banned
Speaking of power weapons, I really hope they get rid of the rocket launcher in 4. If they don't, I hope its much more useful against vehicles than it is against on-foot players. The damn thing was awful in Reach, as if it wasn't OP enough in halo 3.
That's why you shouldn't let the other team get it.

On a different note: If Halo 4 doesn't spawn people on an even playing field at the beginning of a match I will be incredibly disappointed.

monome

I can see the story reveal to be made only at E3.

Readying myself for 3 months of bits of info with one or two nuggets.

Hopefully the game launches september, I don't want to be spoiled two much after E3 and the MP full reveal to journos.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I tried to warn people.

No warning should have been needed. However I think it's possibly the worst Halo 4 related interview I have ever seen... even compared to when they couldn't say much last year.

Trust if this was Naughty Dog, Geoff would have been sucking their ****'s all over.

JonCha

i know bloom isnt popular but I feel it balances the game, other then that it seems they are pretty far into development, sounds like they will have time to thoroughly fine tune everything

No it doesn't. Hitscan BR, with spread from Halo 2 1.1, means that when anybody fires at a target accurately the bullets instantly hit. Simple as that. With the DMR you can spam, but the bullets may or may not hit. With the hitscan BR there's only one variable: accuracy.

Dreaver

Will there be any Covenant presence in Campaign or Multiplayer? Be it weaponry, equipment, architecture, etc. –Lloyd Jo en es

Yes. The Covenant will definitely return, albeit in a completely (graphically, politically and sonically) overhauled form, but they may be the least of your problems.

Awesome! I freaking love the Covenant and the grunts. I don't think Halo would have been the same without them. Though I am happy they won't be the main villian.

The Rocket Launcher may be strong but it also has a limited amount of ammo, plus it's only effective at short range. There's nothing wrong with it.

Well, I hope they decrease the kill radius or rocket velocity; I feel like the Reach launcher shot faster and increased the damage radius. Not my cup 'o tea 'tall.

Petrichor

Awesome! I freaking love the Covenant and the grunts. I don't think Halo would have been the same without them. Though I am happy they won't be the main villian.

I hope their presence in the campaign is minimal. I don't mind maybe half a level of fighting covenant but there better be a major new enemy that we spend a majority of the time fighting. I'm bored shitless of shooting covenant. I'd almost prefer the flood to return (as they've always been artistically interesting and it's almost a certainty that 343 would completely redo them gameplay-wise)

Top Bottom