• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New handheld game console announced: the Playdate

iconmaster

Jul 18, 2013
It's... cool? But really bizarre.

You get several games included in the price but each unlocks on a certain week, and is apparently delivered over wifi.

The crank isn't for charging the battery, it's a kind of analog input device.

It comes in yellow.

$149, early 2020. 12 games in "season one," so perhaps they plan for more games down the line?

A few more details from https://play.date/edge/:

- 2.7-inch black-and-white screen, not backlit
- resolution of 400 × 240 – around four times the pixels of the Game Boy’s screen

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Jul 27, 2018
Beautiful design, but looks like it would be uncomfortable to hold - the d-pad is too near the bottom of the device and the side edges aren't rounded. The crank as a controller is neat, assumed it charged the battery at first.

I bought an Ouya at launch, so I'll be more cautious next time...

• Thoughtful
Reactions: nush and iconmaster

GamesAreFun

Jul 27, 2018
Odd choice, I tried playing an original GBA and it's difficult...

Is there a backlight?
No! Wild, right? In daylight, the reflective layer makes it look spectacular. At night, you can sit by a reading lamp and bask in how incredibly beautiful a modern, sharp, highly-reflective black-and-white LCD can look. It’s great.

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
I'm listening....

What new mechanics can crank controls bring us besides fishing?

Pallas

May 9, 2018
Tennessee
Looks interesting but what are the games? And it’s blackmsnd white? That may me interesting if the picture and graphics are sharp.

Shifty

Sep 25, 2015
the planet Thra
Aesthetically, I like it. Might have picked a different colour given the choice but it's not the worst.
Ergonomically, hmm. Unsure. The crank is certainly novel.

It looks like something I would really want root access to.
Pretty much this. It's intriguing enough that I'd want to fiddle around with a SDK and build something for it.

*sigh*

Game Boy Light - 1998
Game Boy Advance SP - 2003

And a black-and-white screen? It's like they never heard of Nintendo.
Cost saving measures, most likely.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
Not every idea is a good idea.
Not having a backlit screen is really stupid, more just monochrome.

EverydayBeast

Aug 18, 2017
Mount Olympus
www.neogaf.com
I wish playdate all the best, maybe they could of handled some aspects a little better (backlit screen, color etc.) so without being to critical I still see this handheld struggling given the handheld numbers.

MayauMiao

Feb 14, 2018
The crank I assume is to recharge the unit? Perfect for long trips to remote area without any power source.

DiscoJer

Sep 26, 2009
St. Louis
I could see $50. It's hard not to compare it to the Atari Flashback Portable, which is $45. That has no wi-fi but does have an sd-card slot.

I also wonder if Sony will allow this? I think they probably have "Play" in the the hardware name of a video game device locked up.

Reactions: Alter_Fridge

Vitacat

Oct 20, 2011
I'm old. I love retrogaming. But, I don't get this device. Especially at that price.

It does remind me of another device, though... The LDK Game. This costs about $50 shipped (from China of course), has a backlit 2.6 inch color screen, emulates everything 8 and 16bit, plus even some PS1 pretty well. In fact, I have one on order, albeit in the transparent shell. Plenty of reviews on youtube if you're curious.

Here's the transparent shell version:

Last edited:

Rodolink

Aug 19, 2013
rodolink.wordpress.com
The crank as a charging mechanism as well as an input would be amazing. And might forgive the no backlight. But is not so thats a big sin.
Great overall design though. But very expensive for an experiment. Its a $60 thing tops.

Edit: just read the website, didn't know they made Firewatch, that's crazy. Changed my mind, I might give it a go. Gave me ideas for making something for it.

Last edited:

BunzLee

Apr 11, 2019
Switzerland
So, don't get me wrong, but... What or who is this product for? Considering it has no backlight and will be playing their own games, I really don't get who they're trying to reach with this. When it comes to handhelds they're competing with Nintendo and the regular phone, so they'll need a few good arguments to get people to buy into this at a regular price. Also the image looks like a rendering, and I don't trust unfinished products.