• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horror/ Mortal Kombat inspired ''Omen Of Sorrow''

C-Sword

Omen of Sorrow is a horror fighting game, by ex-Ace Team developers (Zeno Clash 2, Rock of Ages) , with Art by the internationally acclaimed Genzoman (Double Dragon: Neon, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Hearthstone), Music by Francisco Cerda (Jamestown, Gunpoint) and the best young talent from SCL.

Features

Master its hardcore combat mechanics; The game’s combat system is intended to be challenging, deep and fluid, based on player skill rather than stats or random chance.

Timing, reflex, and pattern recognition are emphasized, yet we are striving to make it accessible to new players.

Compete Online; Using a netcode technique called rollback (the same used in GGPO), we’ll provide you with a near-lagless online experience.

Fight your friends in Local Multiplayer; Having someone in the same physical space when playing a game is a very different experience than playing with them over the internet, you know that, and so do we.

Art

We'll convey horror using a dramatic, dark and grim art style influenced by various sources; from the heavy chiaroscuro of Caravaggio and Rembrandt, to the dramatic framing of Tod Browning´s Dracula, to contemporary gore like Saw and classics such as Jan Svankmajer's shorts.

Each of the environments will have a distinct mood, but darkness will always play an important role and on each level you'll have ways to obscure your character.

First Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5yccE2jZFQw

Screenshots and concept art:

IVbhdex.jpg

SLbrlDW.jpg

uMkytS7.jpg

sJz864w.jpg

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Steam GreenLight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=595408526

Official site:

http://www.aonegames.cl/

Trailer music:

https://soundcloud.com/franciscofoco/omen-of-sorrow-trailer-music

Nev

Banned
What does this have to do with Mortal Kombat? Visually it looks nothing like it and gameplay wise it looks like yet another streetfighter-esque, generic 2D fighter that thinks that hitstop is somehow a good thing because Street Fighter is successful. Mortal Kombat is one of the few current fighters that doesn't have that shitty "feature", so saying this game is inspired by that while it's clearly a Street Fighter/Killer Instinct 3 makes no sense. There's not even blood or some gratuitous violence by which you could link this to MK.

Aesthetically it looks good anyways, just not very excited about what looks to be yet another version of the same fighting game with some variations.

C-Sword

What does this have to do with Mortal Kombat? Visually it looks nothing like it and gameplay wise it looks like yet another streetfighter-esque, generic 2D fighter that thinks that hitstop is somehow a good thing because Street Fighter is successful. Mortal Kombat is one of the few current fighters that doesn't have that shitty "feature", so saying this game is inspired by that while it's clearly a Street Fighter/Killer Instinct 3 makes no sense.

The devs are big MK fans and they used MK9 as a reference/inspiration during development.

Nev

Banned
The devs are big MK fans and they used MK9 as a reference/inspiration during development.

Well it seems that they switched to SF for that reference/inspiration halfway through because the only thing that is slightly reminiscent of Mortal Kombat in that trailer is the music. Gameplay is totally Street Fighter and visually it's "dark" Street Fighter, so basically the Killer Instinct remake.

Man, every time a new fighter comes out, I get all giddy till I see the footage. Maybe I'm being too hard, but this looks like shit already.

- Lack of fighting game pedigree. Understanding how a fighter works is such a huge thing that many people miss or think they can emulate.

- Doesn't look like it plays anything like MK. It just looks like a crappy 2D fighter with bad hitstun. I'm not opposed to hitstun either, it just looks cheap in the trailer. The fact that they mention MK and their game shows nothing linking it to the series makes me worry.

- Besides the music. That shit is straight up ripped off an early MK game.

- Obscuring your character? Playing in the darkness? Blocking visual elements hardly ever turns out well.

- It doesn't look fluid at all. Sometimes the transitions are too fast, other times, too slow.

- An instant, super fast divekick? Have fun balancing that.

Not including how ass it looks on all the other fronts, this game needs to be put down before it gets released. It looks like one of those Steam Unity fighters made in a few months or so.

Edit: When I saw the thread title, all I saw was Horror and MK. The first thing that popped up was: "OMG IT'S HAPPENING!"

Only to be disappointed. :p

Gameplay is totally Street Fighter and visually it's "dark" Street Fighter, so basically the Killer Instinct remake.

KI (2013) is still as it is, KI. lol Nothing like Street Fighter.

It does look a bit like MK, but seems to play more like the new KI.

From what was shown, there really wasn't any trait to KI.

J-Tier

Eh, I'll reserve judgement until we see more. I like the concept of horror fighting game, but characters seem a tad generic looking.

Yeah really hard to say much since so little of the game is being shown... but looks like it should be a $20 game or free to play.

Definitely not on the level of a Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, etc...

MiguelItUp

Really great idea, we need more MK type beat 'em ups. This needs a lot of work though, it looks flat.

Agreed. Especially after seeing that new gameplay clip. I know it's still in development, but that clip just feels pretty empty / flat. Not to mention it looks pretty slow compared to a lot of modern fighters.

Sesha

My thought on the game's aesthetic from the latest clip is that it looks like one of those fake games you'd see in a movie. It's the fault of the generic look and rather stiff movement and animation.

LMAO

Devs say the art is inspired by Rembrandt, Caravaggio, and SAW... people's first impression is that it looks like Scooby Doo. Guess they aren't quite hitting the art style they're shooting for...

No kidding. They've gotten GENZOMAN of all people to do the designs, but say they're aiming for a baroque aesthetic. Their priorities are mixed up. With GENZOMAN they should be aiming for a look that mixes anime with a Warcraft/DotA/LoL-type aesthetic.

Warxard

Banned
This looks...really bad, not something I'd expect from ACE-Team dudes.

They really need to work on the hitstun.

Is this a sequel to Eternal Champions?

I kid, I kid. Neat concept. Not so sure about the actual game you're presenting, though; seems like it would've been worth it to sit on it for a while before revealing it. Definitely not impressed. Additionally, the art style is far too... I dunno, anime? It's not really befitting of the kind of game you seem to be going for.

It does look a bit like MK, but seems to play more like the new KI.

Not even close.

HF2014

Well, they have big shoes to wear if they think they can match SF,KI,MK or SSB. Dont know how a new fighting game can rival the tops.

Pacotez

The concept is awesome but wasted.
That Dracula is a disappointment. Gabriel too. Quasimodo not so much but they could've made his movements a little more wild and jingly.

You have a game about horror characters yet you don't show how menacing or powerful they are? You don't really have to make them look horrendous or bad even, just not using a random guy's or first time cosplaying clothes.

I can't really think of any vampire with a more underwhelming look

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think you guys are too harsh with this, this is an indie game right? It looks really good for a game with a low budget and a low number of developers.
Give to developers the time to improve it.

I think you guys are too harsh with this, this is an indie game right? It looks really good for a game with a low budget and a low number of developers.
Give to developers the time to improve it.

Games don't get a pass to be mechanically shit because it's an indie game. Skullgirls was indie, and that turned out great.

The thing with fighting games is that you spend much of your time, well, fighting. If the mechanics are not there, then there isn't much else to draw players in.

Like, I'm not looking for this to be EVO perfect, but when you whiff a sweep when his foot touches the character and it's probably not for balance, then I'm probably going to be wary of the game.

Top Bottom