• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Independence Day: Resurgence trailer out! Looks fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

There's just enough hints that the film is self-aware about how dumb it looks that I'm optimistic. Not that it will bee good, because it looks like that ship has sailed. But that it will be good, dumb fun. It's all I want it to be.

"They like to get the landmarks," sold me.

Director Roland Emmerich mentions that the sequel is more complex and more dark...
Check it out at 1:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTtMqC-36mg

So far the companies that are in charge of the ID Resurgence visual effects are :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta_Digital
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanline_VFX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Picture_Company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinesite
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Engine

Makes sense that the mother-ship has touched down all over the Atlantic ocean.

A look on Independence Day: Resurgence via Empire Magazine
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/independence-day-resurgence-everything-need-know/

Wait, what?

This is a trilogy of some sort?

harSon

Banned
Roland Emmerich hasn't had a good film in 16 years... I'm fully expecting this movie to be trash.

And why does Hollywood keep trying to push Liam Hemsworth? He's pretty much his brother, but with every ounce of charm and emotion sucked dry.

guek

Banned
This looks like a ton of stupid fun.

Liam definitely feels bland but Maika Monroe is one hell of a cutie

GavinGT

Banned
Wow, they brought back every single actor they could find. Will Boomer the Dog be reprising his role?

independence-day.png

Kinyou

I don't know why they'd do this whole gravity thing instead of firing a ton of lasers, but I'm not sure I really care if it means we see that buildings fall from the sky.

Catdaddy

Independence Day was the best first half of a movie ever.... fell off fast after that but still had it's moments of awesome badness.... cue Bill Pullman speech...

I'm in...

Whoever Will Smith's son's actor is seems like a terrible actor.

I wonder if - like with Man of Steel - this will end with the vast majority of the Earth being destroyed before they can take down the aliens and declare it a victory. Looks like a lotta shit got fucked up in that trailer alone.

GavinGT

Banned
I don't know why they'd do this whole gravity thing instead of firing a ton of lasers, but I'm not sure I really care if it means we see that buildings fall from the sky.

I think they're just implying that the ship is so big that its gravity is enough to pull buildings towards it. Which is probably garbage science considering that the earth is right there and fucking huge.

Branson

"They touched down over the Atlantic!" Which part? "ALL OF IT".

Bahahaha. Amazing. These trailers show too much.

Kinyou

Whoever Will Smith's son's actor is seems like a terrible actor.

I wonder if - like with Man of Steel - this will end with the vast majority of the Earth being destroyed before they can take down the aliens and declare it a victory. Looks like a lotta shit got fucked up in that trailer alone.
Yeah, rewatching that trailer, the speech he gives seems pretty weak. I hope it's not meant to be the replacement for Pullman's speech.
I think they're just implying that the ship is so big that its gravity is enough to pull buildings towards it. Which is probably garbage science considering that the earth is right there and fucking huge.
Oh, so it's perhaps just a beneficial side effect for the aliens? I really wonder what their exact plan is with landing that giant ship

The line delivery from the new actors, yikes.

I don't mind stupid but I think this film is 17 years too late.

It's absolutely way too late, so it has to ride the line between self-aware yet over-indulgent.

It can't just be regular-indulgent. It has to be over.

Honestly, a large part of why ID4 worked as well as it did in 1996 is that the marketing managed to make it look like a Fun-With-Boys-In-Space Adventure film when it wasn't just disaster disaster disaster raining from the skies.

This sequel seems to be stepping heavy on the idea that you're supposed to take this seriously. Even the stuff you were supposed to take seriously in 1996, you weren't really taking seriously. Blowing up the White House didn't make people go "Oh God," it made 'em go "Fuck Yeah."

That movie spoke to a weird tone that existed only in the mid-late '90s. I don't know if 2016 has managed to recycle that shit yet. We'll find out, I guess.

jond76

Banned
Ugh, looks like the usual dumb summer shit Hollywood's been churning for years. Also, Emmerich is directing, so there's that.

What I'm wondering is...HOW the hell did Pullman get THAT old? He looks 20 years older than Goldblum.

Have you seen what 8 years does to the average American president? Also, the big grey beard helps. Also, it's a movie, they can him look like whatever they need ;)

Yep. Right now this is looking like the right kind. Maybe?

I think it's possible. Although if the only character puncturing the self-importance is Goldblum, that's not a good sign.

But at least there's Goldblum, who will be commenting on the absurdity of this shit as we go, which will definitely help.

It does also step hard on that "boys-with-toys-on-adventures!" tone the last few looks at this movie didn't have.

But then again, in 1996, we hadn't seen a Star Wars film for like, 13 years. We just got one a few months ago. So the novelty of atmospheric dogfights might not be enough to carry us.

Ugh, looks like the usual dumb summer shit Hollywood's been churning for years. Also, Emmerich is directing, so there's that.

What I'm wondering is...HOW the hell did Pullman get THAT old? He looks 20 years older than Goldblum.

I don't get how you could realistically convince yourself that the original ID4 wasn't a typical summer blockbuster movie with cheese slathered across the screen. Were you alive in 1996? Also a lot of this fully expands upon things that were in the original. While the original was a generic Hollywood summer blockbuster, it practically created the bar that modern ones try to the emulate, particularly in terms of special effects. If there's one Hollywood film that deserves some slack about this in the year of our lord 2016, it's a sequel to Independence Day.

I think it's possible. Although if the only character puncturing the self-importance is Goldblum, that's not a good sign.

But at least there's Goldblum, who will be commenting on the absurdity of this shit as we go, which will definitely help.

It does also step hard on that "boys-with-toys-on-adventures!" tone the last few looks at this movie didn't have.

But then again, in 1996, we hadn't seen a Star Wars film for like, 13 years. We just got one a few months ago. So the novelty of atmospheric dogfights might not be enough to carry us.

Also, there's the fact that we had 1996 tech and jets versus alien ships. That's one appeal taken away as well because we've been developing more advances ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom