• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Independence Day: Resurgence trailer out! Looks fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

Feels like this year's Jurassic World.

Hollywood seem pretty keen to destroy London these days, feels like we've seen London Eye keel over countless time.

EGM1966

Goldblum's delivery is perfect.

He is going to steal the show isn't he?

He always does. What's worrisome here though is in the original he was one of multiple actors making jokes and winking at the audience.

Here he feels isolated with a bunch of young actors who (at least in trailer) seem to be trying to take it all seriously.

This is it. He did it. Roland Emmerich has officially graduated past your typical summer blockbuster destruction into some kind of psychological... prison of mass death, where he has complete control over a proverbial chessboard of destruction-- and every move he makes is a deviously, meticulously calculated, bona-fide victory over the last.

This isn't summer blockbuster destruction. This is the musings of a psychopath.

Bishop89

Tom Rothman is lying on a park bench somewhere in LA, drunk, watching this realising that whatever slim chance his Robotech film had of getting made has probably gone up in smoke.

there was a possible robotech film?

That would have been awesome

This is it. He did it. Roland Emmerich has officially graduated past your typical summer blockbuster destruction into some kind of psychological... prison of mass death, where he has complete control over a proverbial chessboard of destruction-- and every move he makes is a deviously, meticulously calculated, bona-fide victory over the last.

I think you're confusing Emmerich with Snyder.

Sephzilla

That's more Zack Sny---

f7FdEdG.jpg

So was Mae Whitman ever asked to come back to play the daughter or did they really just skip over her when casting everyone else from the original?

Snyder has a ways to go before he approaches the disasterthrone that Emmerich sits upon, wearing the skull of Irwin Winkler atop his head like a bony crown.

So was Mae Whitman ever asked to come back to play the daughter or did they really just skip over her when casting everyone else from the original?

They skipped her.

Dude: We don't stand a chance.
Pullman: We didn't the last time, either.
Han Solo: So, it's big.

They're going to blow that fucking thing up. And when it explodes, it will rattle the universe so hard it will wake up even more pissed off aliens with dogfighting vehicles the size of Star Destroyers.

I'm sorry guys but Snyder doesn't have fucking shit on Emmerich. Come on. There is nothing in Snyder's movies that come even remotely close to Emmerich's scale and insanity.

I'm sorry guys but Snyder doesn't have fucking shit on Emmerich. Come on. There is nothing in Snyder's movies that come even remotely close to Emmerich's scale and insanity.

Snyder has wrecked, in his films:

A gas station, an RV, and a suburb (Dawn of the Dead)
About a square mile of New York (Watchmen)
About a square mile of Metropolis (Man of Steel)
About an empty square mile of New York (Batman v Superman) (It's empty!) (I promise!) (Good thing there's no people in there!)

Roland Emmerich has wrecked, in his films:

Almost every major city in the world (Independence Day)
Most of New York City (Godzilla)
The World (The Day After Tomorrow)
The World (2012)
Multiple major cities in the world (Independence Day 2)

it really isn't even close.

I don't know how anyone cannot love Independence Day. It's one of the best popcorn flicks ever, this looks to be just as awesome. I am so hyped.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I don't know how anyone cannot love Independence Day. It's one of the best popcorn flicks ever, this looks to be just as awesome. I am so hyped.

It is basically the prototype version of the modern big-budget action blockbuster: incredibly derivative, a pastiche of better movies, shitloads of effects, and totally marketing driven. But so fucking great.

Savitar

It'll be the typical blockbuster faire but it could be a fun way to waste two hours.

The planes flying out of the hanger still looks bad though, so slow.

Shit looks horrible. Cheesy ass lines and bad acting all over. Why not try to make a good movie instead of just pandering to nostalgia?

because most people don't give a fuck, I know.

"It has its own gravity"

Come on bruh

Looks like another charming guilty pleasure

They need to keep making sequels every 20 years so Brent Spiner can get work

There's just enough hints that the film is self-aware about how dumb it looks that I'm optimistic. Not that it will bee good, because it looks like that ship has sailed. But that it will be good, dumb fun. It's all I want it to be.

"They like to get the landmarks," sold me.

Agree.

Will Smith will be in ID3. They only thought he was dead, boys.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I can't wait for the reviews. I wonder how many critics will forget what made the first one so great.

I don't even think I care what the reviews will be. I saw the original in the theater and it is still to this day one of my most memorable movie going experiences ever. People were just into ID4 back when it came out. The movie was big, dumb fun, and I still enjoy watching it today in that context.

I'm seeing this on the big screen no matter what any reviewer says!

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
"They like to get the landmarks." Sold.

I'm still holding out hope that when things look impossible and humanity is going to lose, Will Smith comes back and saves the day. Turns out he didn't die he was transported really far away or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom