• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW INFO for Punch-Out!! 2 players mode confirmed!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only for a Wii game will people get excited over the announcement of local multiplayer before online.

On that note, shame there isn't any online that we know of. I really want this, but if its light in content I'm going to have to wait until a price drop.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SpacePirate Ridley said:
So much disrespectful talk in this thread about Punch-Out!!.
Really its a shame becuase its going to be an excellent game.

agreed. some people want to be such negative nancys. retarded.

the inclusion of all the nes boxers is the best decision they could have made here. can't wait to play this.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
and doc louis is in this too. that's awesome.

i hope they include some side games for training, and maybe even some leveling or rpg style mechanics for little mac. the original ready to rumble had some goofy weight lifting and speed bag stuff to help you build your stats, and i thought that was pretty cool. expanding on that and including that trademark punch-out charm would be ace.

EatChildren said:
Only for a Wii game will people get excited over the announcement of local multiplayer before online.
You never know. It's being developed by the same guys to release the first online mulitplayer Wii game. Not that online would be a selling point for me anyways.

GCX

EatChildren said:

On that note, shame there isn't any online that we know of. I really want this, but if its light in content I'm going to have to wait until a price drop.
Next Level Games made one of the first and best online games for Wii (Mario Strikers Charged) so I wouldn't be surprised if there was an online mode.

jibblypop

Banned
beelzebozo said:
the inclusion of all the nes boxers is the best decision they could have made here. .

Yep. For many of my friends, the only reason they bought Street Fighter IV was because "YES IT HAS ALL THE OLD CHARACTERS AGAIN!!!" so this might be a good route to take for Punch Out as well.

Hunahan

Banned
The three "new" characters should be Pizza Pasta, Kid Quick, Piston Hurricane.

Then again, even on hardcore message boards, very few people seem to remember the original arcade release to really get much out of that.....

As for the debate about how to make it modern - it's kind of a shame that WiiWare is so limited, because - frankly - DD seems like a far more suitable format for a new punch-out than retail does at this point.

Personally, I just really hope it doesn't turn out like the SNES iteration. IE - so fucking easy that you beat it the first time you play and lose interest quickly.

SpacePirate Ridley said:

Seriously, motha fuckas. This is mother fucking Punch-Out!!. Get that? No, I don't think you did. THIS IS MOTHER FUCKING PUNCH-OUT!!.

You can easily determine the age of someone by their reaction to this announcement. Most of you probably came in the late-SNES/early-N64 era. GTFO with that shit, this is Wii, the spiritual successor to the mother fucking NES, king of the consoles. This IS how gaming ought to be.

NOW, all that said, I too, am curious as to what this game will bring to the table. Interesting that it's been kept under-wraps, I wonder if Nintendo will handle their future releases so low-key.

I have extreme affection for this series, it, more than any other series, capture's Nintendo's lightning in a bottle, that sense that the odds are against you but you're going to fuckin pull-through because you're fuckin Little-Mac, the cool young guy that's taking on these tough assholes. And the mythos. MY GOD, the mythos. The characters, their calls, their quirks, the PINK SWEATS, and MOTHER FUCKING Doc Louis. Damn, man. I've missed you, man. AND THE DAMN MUSIC, TOO.

And being someone of latin-background, I cannot tell you how excited I am that Little-Mac looks ethnic. FUCKING BADASS. Makes perfect sense, too. He looks awesome, here, I wish I had a macquette.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
TheGrayGhost said:
Seriously, motha fuckas. This is mother fucking Punch-Out!!. Get that? No, I don't think you did. THIS IS MOTHER FUCKING PUNCH-OUT!!

:lol

i love you, gray ghost. you are awesome.

GCX

TheGrayGhost said:
Interesting that it's been kept under-wraps, I wonder if Nintendo will handle their future releases so low-key.
This is pretty much Nintendo's current way of doing things. Super AAA games get the big hype treatment (Zelda, Mario, Wii __ games, etc..) but games like this (Excitebots, Sin & Punishment 2, Endless Ocean 2, etc..) get a trailer and a few screenshots and then the game is out before we even really notice it.

:lol It's not like anyone in this thread is being that negative. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! was actually the game my family got with the NES back in 1987, so it's not like I don't appreciate the series. (Though at the time I was mad we got it instead of Super Mario Bros.)
Hunahan said:
As for the debate about how to make it modern - it's kind of a shame that WiiWare is so limited, because - frankly - DD seems like a far more suitable format for a new punch-out than retail does at this point.
I don't think that would have really been a problem if they'd wanted it that way. It's not like the storage needs would be pushed high by a large number of characters or detailed environments. Especially since they're going for nostalgia anyway, an even simpler look could've worked.

I think 2 players is a nice addition which will increase replayability. I love the throwback look and the origianal characters.

Whoever suggested the rpg style level-up minigame system had a great idea, except I can see them being waggle-fest minigames that require no skill.

Still hoping for at least an online leaderboard with records for fastest ko or an achievement list like megaman 9. Two player might be a lead in to online vs. mode...

DavidDayton said:
Yech... please don't hint at something like that again.

We're getting the classic NES Punch-Out!! here, not the silly SNES spin-off.

The SNES Punch-out is better. It's much closer to the original arcade versions, which are also better than the NES version. I love Punch-Out in all forms though, so more is always great.

pvpness

Does this mode come with the game or will I have to pay and download it when I get my disc home?

I'm excited cause I love Punch-Out!! and two players makes for more awesome.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
2-player modeis surprising for a Punch-Out!! game. Hope it'll prove interesting and fun.

I'm a bit disappointed that the game has less boxers than Super Punch-Out!!, so I hope they've managed to make the game addictive and hard enough.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Shin Johnpv said:
Do you feel this way because you were dropped alot as a baby, and therefor you don't have full use of your brain?

homer: you know, when i was a boy, i really wanted a catcher's mitt. but my dad wouldn't get it for me. so i held my breath until i passed out and banged my head on the coffee table. the doctor thought i might have brain damage!

bart: dad, what's the point of this story?

homer: i like stories.

TheGrayGhost said:
Seriously, motha fuckas. This is mother fucking Punch-Out!!. Get that? No, I don't think you did. THIS IS MOTHER FUCKING PUNCH-OUT!!.

You can easily determine the age of someone by their reaction to this announcement. Most of you probably came in the late-SNES/early-N64 era. GTFO with that shit, this is Wii, the spiritual successor to the mother fucking NES, king of the consoles. This IS how gaming ought to be.

NOW, all that said, I too, am curious as to what this game will bring to the table. Interesting that it's been kept under-wraps, I wonder if Nintendo will handle their future releases so low-key.

I have extreme affection for this series, it, more than any other series, capture's Nintendo's lightning in a bottle, that sense that the odds are against you but you're going to fuckin pull-through because you're fuckin Little-Mac, the cool young guy that's taking on these tough assholes. And the mythos. MY GOD, the mythos. The characters, their calls, their quirks, the PINK SWEATS, and MOTHER FUCKING Doc Louis. Damn, man. I've missed you, man. AND THE DAMN MUSIC, TOO.

And being someone of latin-background, I cannot tell you how excited I am that Little-Mac looks ethnic. FUCKING BADASS. Makes perfect sense, too. He looks awesome, here, I wish I had a macquette.

OK, you are my god.

beelzebozo said:
homer: you know, when i was a boy, i really wanted a catcher's mitt. but my dad wouldn't get it for me. so i held my breath until i passed out and banged my head on the coffee table. the doctor thought i might have brain damage!

bart: dad, what's the point of this story?

homer: i like stories.

And you are awesome!

pvpness said:
Does this mode come with the game or will I have to pay and download it when I get my disc home?

I'm excited cause I love Punch-Out!! and two players makes for more awesome.

That's a HD console exclusive thing.

Vinci

Danish
TheGrayGhost said:

You just earned yourself MAD awesome points with this post. Really.

Azure J

Vinci said:

You just earned yourself MAD awesome points with this post. Really.

I think the majority of people born during the NES days can attest to the truth that Punch-Out is sacred. Hell, I only recently discovered the game on VC and was mad that I never got it during the NES's prime. :lol

Also, this shit is Gaming Cocaine. Fact.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
GoutPatrol said:
Who the hell is dissing Super Punch Out? That was so much better than the original.

No, no it wasn't.

Luckily, NOA and Next Level appear to be aware of this.

Cipherr

DavidDayton said:
No, no it wasn't.

Luckily, NOA and Next Level appear to be aware of this.

Your crazy SPO was much better than the original. This looks so far like a step from there but to early to tell with just small videos and a promo.

SpacePirate Ridley said:

Agreed. Even though I mostly considered PO a puzzle/pattern game of sorts myself. Just in the form of a boxer. Fun stuff. The old man with the cane used to murder me in the SNES version.

I really dont get the hate for super punchout, the game was basically the original with a few added moves. Some of the characters were certainly zany, but regardless of there moves, it still played like regular ole punchout. It even advanced the aspect of speed runs imo, as far as punchout goes.

Things that fail in Super Punch-Out!!
-Music is shit (well not shit, but not memorable, the NES one only had 3 themes and kick the ass of SP-O OST)
-Protagonist boxer is shit (were the hell did little mac go)
-Much, MUCH more easy
-Theres a time that it gets too not boxing (a man with a cane, its that legal, really? Im not talking about spitting in the eyes like Masked Muscle or the hair punch from Kagero, that really was good, as its like ilegal when the referee was not watching, but a cane is just to much)
-No Doc Louis
-No Mario referee
-No awesome final match
-The character quotes and their personalities are not that memorable.
-The special move is too easy to pull off. That is a radical change from the original.

Things that gets right:
-The rival boxers trainers
-The record times and speed runs

People still play A LOT the nes Punch-Out!!, Super Nes? not so much.
A game that its so old and yet so great it really has to be a VERY good game.

dyls

In my 20-odd years of gaming, I'm not sure if I've ever had a more tense moment than waiting for Sandman to unleash his uppercuts of doom. Macho Man was east to time, and Tyson was just silly, but Sandman scared the shit out of me. And it was as true when I played it 6 months ago as when I played it in 1987.

If Next Level can capture that essence--that pure rush of adrenaline--I will be a happy man. My only worry is that few developers who aren't EAD have that ability. Let's hope they have serious oversight on this game.

Mr Sandman really its that frightening. Its vicious, its fast, and when he hits you, its hits you HARD.
Not only that but the design really scares. The smile he has when he wins, his laugh, and his eyes penetrating your soul. Its not a person you will like to see in the street at night.

Mike Tyson (Mr. Dream) is harder, but only because a punch of him KO's you instantly. Thats like if you are playing vs a cheat, not as frightening as Mr Sandman, its only more frustraiting.

TheGrayGhost said:

+1 You´re awesome.. So PUNCH-OUT!

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Things that fail in Super Punch-Out!!
-Music is shit (well not shit, but not memorable, the NES one only had 3 themes and kick the ass of SP-O OST)
-Protagonist boxer is shit (were the hell did little mac go)
-Much, MUCH more easy
-Theres a time that it gets too not boxing (a man with a cane, its that legal, really? Im not talking about spitting in the eyes like Masked Muscle or the hair punch from Kagero, that really was good, as its like ilegal when the referee was not watching, but a cane is just to much)
-No Doc Louis
-No Mario referee
-No awesome final match
-The character quotes and their personalities are not that memorable.
-The special move is too easy to pull off. That is a radical change from the original.

Things that gets right:
-The rival boxers trainers
-The record times and speed runs

People still play A LOT the nes Punch-Out!!, Super Nes? not so much.
A game that its so old and yet so great it really has to be a VERY good game.

First of all where's the proof people play the NES version more than the SNES?

The special move was easier to get in the NES game for most fighters, or atleast equal. And besides the arcade verison (AKA the original Punchout) used the same method.

I think pretty much all the characters in SPO are better than PO (minus Soda Pop and Don Flamenco), that includes Little Mac, they had more personality.

And the most important point of all, I have more fun with Super Punch-out to this day.

Dabanton said:
First reply wins.:lol

Two player for a game like this shouldn't be bragged about it should be their from the start.
especially after wii boxing.
Dabanton
Has never played a Punch-Out game ever
(Yesterday, 04:50 AM)
Reply | Quote

Cynar

Tim-E said:
Some of us have real friends.

One would hope for both online and local play as those of us with real friends like to play late at night without leaving our homes with co-workers.

VerTiGo

Banned
Are people hating on Super Punchout!!? That's insane. Easily one of the best SNES games and overall best games ever IMO. I like it so much more than Mike Tyson's Punchout.

I can't see motion controls working without Wii MotionPlus unless its simplified, which I hope it is to begin with to recreate the PunchOut feel. Punchout was never about depth in combos but pure arcade bliss.

Top Bottom