• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

Buy a pair of P7 Wireless. Wireless version is better than the wired ones. Plus it comes with a 3.5 mm cord so you can plug it in if you prefer to listen to it wired.

BunnyBear

Wait, how do you defend the lack of a headphone jack? How do you listen to audio on your phone, then?

I couldn't care less. I just use the stock phone earphones anyway, so it's not really an issue. And if I did happen to want to use my Sennheiser's with the phone sometimes, I'd just use the fucking adaptor. I just do not get the uproar that I only see here. Nobody in the real world seems to care?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Even if you think wireless headphones own and don't give a shit about a headphone jack, or even giving people the choice of a headphone jack, the fact remains that enough people use the jack to warrant keeping it in because the benefits gained from removing it are

n o n e x i s i s t e n t

If the phone hardware was radically altered in a good way or the battery life had crazy improvements then okay at least you can justify trying to force people into using a dongle or whatever. But don't tell me the iPhone removing the headphone jack suddenly caused an exponential battery life increase and made the form factor that much better. Shaving off 0.003mm the dimensions to add to your hardware reveal bullet point isn't a benefit.

Ash735

OnePlus 5 it is for me then. Google have been arrogant thinking they can charge Apple/Samsung prices and yet offer less, it's really weird.

I couldn't care less. I just use the stock phone earphones anyway, so it's not really an issue. And if I did happen to want to use my Sennheiser's with the phone sometimes, I'd just use the fucking adaptor. I just do not get the uproar that I only see here. Nobody in the real world seems to care?

Going without a headphone jack on my iPhone 7+ hasn't really been an issue for me. There have been times where it was a minor inconvenience such as needing a charge and wanting to listen to music at the same time. That has only happened a few times in almost a year of owning the device though. Perhaps to some, those few times is enough to warrant not purchasing the phone, but for myself I don't really mind. I just use the adapter that was provided in the box with my earbuds, or I use my wireless BT headphones. After a while, I got used to it and it won't be a deciding factor on my next phone purchase.
I can see the issue people have, but I wouldn't rule out a phone solely on a lack of a headphone jack.

Zushin

Why u do dis Google :|

I come out of contract at the end of the year but might wait until early next year to see what LG comes up with before replacing my note 5. I like pretty everything I've read about the G6 but it's outdated spec wise I'd say, so might as well wait for the G7.

Hylian7

We are so entitled these days when it comes to phones.

I don't really understand the use of the word "entitled" here. We want to have a feature on our phones, therefore we won't buy a phone that takes away said feature. How is that entitled?

If someone was saying "The next Pixel is going to have no headphone jack, so it should be free!!!!", that would be entitled.

Orbis

Putting headphone stuff aside, it sounds pretty unremarkable and unadventurous from those rumours. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Erv

Think I just might buy another 6p. Still love mine but somehow it got bent the fuck out of shape on the sides by the power and volume buttons.

lord pie

I'm curious to see the new phones, I use Fi and while I like the service enormously I hate the forced lock in.

I do hope the speakers are good though, I have the 5x and despite their size the dual speakers on it are *awful*.

I don't give a damn about the headphone jack as I never use headphones :p

hirokazu

Even if you think wireless headphones own and don't give a shit about a headphone jack, or even giving people the choice of a headphone jack, the fact remains that enough people use the jack to warrant keeping it in because the benefits gained from removing it are

n o n e x i s i s t e n t

If the phone hardware was radically altered in a good way or the battery life had crazy improvements then okay at least you can justify trying to force people into using a dongle or whatever. But don't tell me the iPhone removing the headphone jack suddenly caused an exponential battery life increase and made the form factor that much better. Shaving off 0.003mm the dimensions to add to your hardware reveal bullet point isn't a benefit.
The headphone jack wasn’t removed on iPhones to make it thinner. Y’all hyperboling, LOL.

ArchAngel

People talking about music quality but listen to music on smartphones or stream it low quality ... hahahaha!

Get a FiiO, iBasso or Cowon, good earphones and enjoy a new universe of mobile music! :p

I think they will include a USB-C<->3.5mm adapter. Who charges while listening to smartphone music?
For me Headphone jack < any feature or bigger battery they'll implement instead with the new space

I finally gave into buying a Smartphone not too long ago but I was considering upgrading to a Pixel 2 (as much as the idea of buying a several hundred dollar phone might kill me with dread) after it came out but now that this rumor seems more and more likely, maybe not. Also bought Samsung Level U Pro BT earbuds a couple weeks ago and while they're thankfully not total shit like my first Bluetooth headphone experience with some Motorola shit that had terrible battery life and were completely useless (though really they were useless before that and I should've returned the damn things since they ended up barely used while falling apart) within a year. They're alright but I can't wear them for more than an hour or two before they irritate my ears but the main reason I got them was convenience with phone calls and so I could walk around talking to myself and look a little less like a crazy person. I still use the headphone jack in my car and I think still overall prefer my ten year old wired, rebadged Sennheiser earbuds from Creative.

People talking about music quality but listen to music on smartphones or stream it low quality ... hahahaha!

Get a FiiO, iBasso or Cowon, good earphones and enjoy a new universe of mobile music! :p

I think they will include a USB-C<->3.5mm adapter. Who charges while listening to smartphone music?
For me Headphone jack < any feature or bigger battery they'll implement instead with the new space

Your "bigger battery" will be irrelevant when you're relying on Bluetooth headphones, what did Apple do with all that saved space? Nothing of significance from what I've seen it was primarily for aesthetics.

People in their cars, especially on long trips though that could apply to other modes of transportation too, who don't have some sort of fancy docking (or BT) feature in their cars, like myself who use their stereo line-in jacks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GAF, where spending $600-$800 on a smartphone is the norm, but having to dish out $30 or more on wireless headphone options is an apocalyptic disaster.

$30 gets you trash wireless earphones. Utter trash. It doesn't get you good wired earphones either, but you don't have to spend AS much to get something decent there. Wireless earphones are just an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Pixel 2? Didn't the first one come out like two months ago?

Last October

I think you'd be forgiven for thinking that, though. I bought my Pixel XL in March because I didn't want the longer screen of the upcoming Galaxy 8's and I wanted a stock Android device, and there weren't any stores in the entire state that had the model/size I wanted in stock. I lucked out thought and Verizon had it on its store. I tried going direct to Google but it was backordered for a couple weeks. It seemed difficult to find.

mid83

I've had my iPhone 7 Plus since launch and while the lack of a 3.5mm jack annoyed me at first, I don't even notice anymore. I much prefer using Bluetooth headphones with my phone anyway and there are plenty of adapters if you need to charge/listen at the same time using 3.5 mm headphones.

It really isn't that big of a deal after a little bit of time.

diaspora

What you are "losing" with a 3.5mm jack is space that can be used for something else
It isn't. People can use wireless and USB-C headphones with a phone that has a headphone jack if they want to, but the Lord of the port equals the loss of an option with nothing gained. For emphasis: nothing is gained for the user with the removal of the headphone jack.

Fatalah

I use one pair of headphones that I can keep a done on at all times. Not really a deal breaker. No other OEM comes close to the software optimization, so the Pixel is still best.

2MF

I will admit that I'm amused by all the people in the Android camp who vocally derided Apple for cutting the headphone jack last year now having to face that issue on their own side.

(I still think it was a bad idea.)

What's there to be amused about? I'm an Android user: It was a stupid idea when Apple did it, and it's a stupid idea if Google does it.

The only thing there is to be amused of are any related instances of hypocrisy, but I don't see any in this thread at least.

Vuze

God, I just want this to be true because they ridiculed the iPhone 7 for the headphone jack thing last year iirc. The fallout will be amazing.

I only use my 3.5mm jack on my phone when I go to the gym, so I will likely just leave the adaptor on my cheap gym earbuds if the pixel 2 turns out to be as attractive as the first. Put me in the 'not understanding the anger' camp. If there's any cable you often connect your phone to (car aux, gym earbuds like me) you can just get another cheap adaptor and leave it on that cable I mean you're already spending like $800 on a phone what's another $5

I am curious about this person who uses the audio jack outside of my listed examples though.Is this someone who can only use their phone to listen to music while at work? I am just trying to understand this profile of someone who has enough money to spend hundreds on a new phone, cares enough about the music listening experience to be frustrated with the loss of a headphone jack, but seemingly does not have a proper music setup (pre-amp/amp + quality headphones) that sounds infinitely better than streaming music to your phone

Pixel 1 has my favorite camera of any smart phone and comes with stock Android. It's a basic phone but a great one. Excited to see how P2 turns out, but if it is a bust I will likely get last year's model

ArchAngel

I stream 320Kbps MP3s from Play Music. Problem? Are you one of those people who believe that lossless makes any audible difference?

It's not the format, it's the quality of the player I'm talking about. 98% of smartphones are shitty music player quality wise. 320Kbps mp3s don't help with that.
If you want better sound, don't use lossless or anything else with bad hardware. Hardware won't scale in quality of lossless music :p

Is it proven that if you remove the headphone jack, you get a bigger battery?

AHA-Lambda

I'll just be waiting for a price drop on the Pixel 1 in the UK then, if this is true.

Then again I hate those bezels >_>

Hoo-doo

Banned

Did you time travel here from 2004? Nobody cares about shit like Cowon or FiiO these days.
Having to carry around another separate device with extremely limited features, limited storage and a beyond clunky UI just for a hair better audio quality? It's laughable for the inconvenience factor alone.

It's not the format, it's the quality of the player I'm talking about. 98% of smartphones are shitty music player quality wise. 320Kbps mp3s don't help with that.
If you want better sound, don't use lossless or anything else with bad hardware. Hardware won't scale in quality of lossless music :p

Any objective sources on this hot take? Or did you get enveloped in the audiophile bubble enough to actually start believing this.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
People saying they wont buy it because of no headphone jack meaning they will not buy any flagship phone going forward from 2018 right?

I mean ya it really sucks that they doing this but time to get over

AHA-Lambda

People saying they wont buy it because of no headphone jack meaning they will not buy any flagship phone going forward from 2018 right?

I mean ya it really sucks that they doing this but time to get over

Why?

There's not been a good reason yet to remove it
And if it means I'll "downgrade" to a oneplus then so be it.

This isn't like floppy discs going away, there's no reason

BeforeU

Why?

No I get that, i am not trying to justify the action. But its happening. Its going away, you can count on OnePlus to follow same too.

BunnyBear

Why?

Because you're fighting a losing battle and I'd say the phonemakers have realised the vast majority of people don't give a fuck about whether their phone has a 3.5mm jack. The vast majority will just use the earbuds that come with the phone.

GAF seems to be a loud decrier of the jack removal but you've got to remember that we're generally tech-minded folk here and the Everyman doesn't care.

Accept and move on.

Because you're fighting a losing battle and I'd say the phonemakers have realised the vast majority of people don't give a fuck about whether their phone has a 3.5mm jack. The vast majority will just use the earbuds that come with the phone.

GAF seems to be a loud decrier of the jack removal but you've got to remember that we're generally tech-minded folk here and the Everyman doesn't care.

Accept and move on.
Spot on.

eso76

Do these jackless phones include a different solution for FM radio ?
Because radio FM needing headphones wire is the main reason why I will often use wired over wireless.

tokkun

Dedicated source devices are only beneficial if you want to use difficult-to-drive headphones. Smartphones are more than sufficient for anything with reasonable impedance and sensitivity, and have been for many years.

In any case, the degradation in sound quality from Bluetooth is like an order of magnitude worse than just having an underpowered source. It sounds pretty similar to a typical motherboard headphone jack. Plus the audio may decide to cut out at random times.

Reszo

I've moved on to Bluetooth headphones and earbuds months ago and prob won't go back to corded just because I hate cords and don't hear a difference in sounds quality, so the absence on the 3.5 isn't a deal breaker for me but I'm still a advocate for it for other people.

Never really understood why they had to get rid of it, apple said it was stopping progress because it was so old but how's that?

Also the phone overall seems underwhelming my Nexus is still going strong. But I'll wait for a official announcement.

BeforeU

Are you calling Galaxy S8 not a flagship?

No I am saying 2018 phones. Dont count on flagships coming out next year to have headphone jack.

And 95% dont really care, just look at Iphone 7 sales. 5% will eventually fall in line. If the backslash translated into less sale, then there was a hope. But now? Nah

jacobeid

Banned
I mean, my Nexus 5X had the bootloop issue and neither Google nor LG would replace it despite being purchased directly from Google and it being under warranty (less than 6 months old). The device had no damage and was not altered in any way.

It was my first time going to Android and probably my last. Treated me like shit.

Top Bottom