• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on PS4s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

Because they don't have enough bandwidth to support the PlayStation app functionality, so the PS4 has to act as a webserver.
If you wanna use your PlayStation app outside of your home you'll have to mess with your router settings, not a very commercial friendly design choice.

Either MS were just too cheap or MS intentionally made it huge so they could more easily hawk an updated 'slim' version later and garner more sales. That's the MS we've been dealing with nowadays.

Honestly, I think it is about the risk of new HW. The RROD stuff provided some hard lessons for Microsoft, and they aren't taking any risk of any overheating with the current Xbox One Design. Same reason they bumped the speed up a few MHz. Lifetime testing went well and that was the result.

I'd be hopeful that when playing movies it won't be spinning any faster than it needs to - i.e. you won't get the full whack of its speed/noise.

When it is at full whack it will be louder than PS3's drive. So maybe during initial installs or caching (?)

yeah, i can see this and hope it's the case

Because they don't have enough bandwidth to support the PlayStation app functionality, so the PS4 has to act as a webserver.
If you wanna use your PlayStation app outside of your home you'll have to mess with your router settings, not a very commercial friendly design choice.

Why do you have to mess with your router settings, if the PS4 can connect to Sony why wouldn't you be able to connect to your PS4?

Elios83

Slim or Phat? because the Phat was loud

He's very likely talking about the PS3 Slim (2009 model), PS4 should have a pretty similar peak power consumption but will take advantage of all the low power technologies that have been developed in the meantime for mobile devices (the APU draws power depeding on the actual performance needed in a fully scalable way, in the past there were just a few operative modes like idle, low power, full performance). Also the stepless fan is an other positive news. So overall it should make less noise than the original PS3 Slim.
PS3 fat shouldn't even be considered, that thing simply belonged to an other (upper) class of power consumption (and hence noise level).

Anonumos

Banned
This doesn't actually say anything concrete. Less noisy than the ps3 means shit considering how loud it is. Good to hear about the heat level though.

hawk2025

What?

Where did this come from?

I ask again, is there equivalent Smartglass functionality I'm not aware of?

Does the fact that we don't know yet if you can remote-purchase something on the X1 and start the system by itself make you worry about MS' s cloud infrastructure, then?

johnny956

I'd be hopeful that when playing movies it won't be spinning any faster than it needs to - i.e. you won't get the full whack of its speed/noise.

When it is at full whack it will be louder than PS3's drive. So maybe during initial installs or caching (?)

Playing a blu-ray disc is played back at normal speed not 6x so playing a disc will be virtually silent as it would be in a standalone blu-ray player.

Morts

I just hope that the fan doesn't go crazy while playing blu-ray movies like my PS3 did before it died. Last month. Ugh...

But they already said that you can make purchases on your phone while away from home and it'll start the PS4. I think you're reading far too much into this statement.

Yoday

Lucky you! My launch is not bad, but when it has been cooking along for a couple of hours, it gets noisy.
Have you cleaned it recently? Mine was insanely loud at all times, but cleaning the vents off and blowing some of the dust out made it run nearly silent, even when running games for awhile.

artist

Banned
Do you have to ask?
loki_kiss_gif_by_miasqgqo9.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Did no one see this?!?

We need more info on this. If the Blu-Ray is actually playing movies or games not needed on the hard drive will it be louder? That doesn't sound like a plus.

You ask if anyone saw it? Yes, and I read it:

'Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.'

The PS4 will be able to cut your home heating bills in half... Since it will throw off as much heat as a space heater with all that power and small footprint with such quiet cooling.

Seriously though, it concerns me that the original design was intended to have half as much horsepower and they upped everything. But the design of the PS4, size, and cooling has stayed the same.

I do want to get a PS4 but I am going to wait for a while to make sure this thing doesn't overheat or have heat related problems.

Skeff

I don't mind if the disc spins louder I am just sick of the grinding noise the laser makes, it was unbearable with GTA5.

The drive will be audible during game installation, which could be as fast as 38 seconds per gigabyte, If we assume an average game size of 15gb and a slower transfer rate of 45 seconds per gigabyte, It will only make noise for around the first 11 minutes of a game.

Not really an issue IMO.

XeNoN89

Banned
They are not going to support .mkv, none of the consoles probably ever will.

People should get over this fact. Use PS3 media server to stream them, otherwise, you're out of luck.

Yep. I'm happy using PS3 media server to do this anyway. It means I don't have to copy my massive video files over to the console. Just download once on PC and then stream

The drive will be audible during game installation, which could be as fast as 38 seconds per gigabyte, If we assume an average game size of 15gb and a slower transfer rate of 45 seconds per gigabyte, It will only make noise for around the first 11 minutes of a game.

Not really an issue IMO.

I thought it handled installs like PS3, whereby it doesn't install the whole disk just a portion of it, but instead of having to do it upfront you do it as you play.

Skeff

The PS4 will be able to cut your home heating bills in half... Since it will throw off as much heat as a space heater with all that power and small footprint with such quiet cooling.

Seriously though, it concerns me that the original design was intended to have have as much horsepower and they upped everything. But the design of the PS4, size, and cooling has stayed the same.

I do want to get a PS4 but I am going to wait for a while to make sure this thing doesn't overheat or have heat related problems.

Heat is based on power draw, not how powerful a machine is, the power draw and size are roughly the same as the PS3 slim. stop spreading FUD.

To be honest I was always more aware of the Blu Ray drive noise than the fan noise, so I'm a little wary of this.

So long as it doesn't sound like it's about to explode I'm fine with it.

hawk2025

Seriously though, it concerns me that the original design was intended to have have as much horsepower and they upped everything. But the design of the PS4, size, and cooling has stayed the same.

We have no evidence that design, size, and cooling stayed the same.

In fact, the changes early in the year probably explain why we didn't see the actual console until E3.

You ask if anyone saw it? Yes, and I read it:

'Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.'

Would this mean all games are required for download?

Krakn3Dfx

Dat speculation.

Makes sense to have the PS4 communicate directly with the tablet on a local area network. Everything else you've said here is unknown at this point.

the only thing i have with the ps3 slim is the noise while accessing the hard drive. hopefully it's not too bad. does it change with using a different HDD/SSD?

Hoo-doo

Banned
what is a stepless fan please?

A fan that can spin at a variable rate, so it can spin exactly fast enough as the heat requires.

The PS3 had fans that had like three or four different speeds and it switched between them when necessary. The one moment your PS3 is super silent, and the next moment it sounds like a vacuum for an hour.

nib95

Banned

Means a fan that can change RPM in incremental steps. So say instead of two or three different RPM speeds, one low, one medium, one fast (and loud), the PS4's will have variable speeds (10%, 20%, 30% etc) and adjust based on the heat being produced instead of jumping from one extreme to the other. This method is far more efficient and noise friendly.

How do you know that?
There are many benefits to the PS4 acting as a client to a cloud service that the Playstation app communicates with.
There is literally no benefit to PS4 acting as a webserver for the Playstation app.
The only reason they would make it a PS4 webserver is that they aren't able to scale their own infrastructure up enough before launch.
That isn't a permanent problem, and they said it might possibly change in the future.
But it is certainly not a good sign of their cloud infrustructure.

But they already said that you can make purchases on your phone while away from home and it'll start the PS4. I think you're reading far too much into this statement.
You can. If you open whatever port the PS4 is using on your router.

What?

Where did this come from?

I ask again, is there equivalent Smartglass functionality I'm not aware of?

Does the fact that we don't know yet if you can remote-purchase something on the X1 and start the system by itself make you worry about MS' s cloud infrastructure, then?
We do know you can remote purchase on Xbox One.
Xbox One acts as a client to a cloud service, it can open a connection to an external server no problem. Smartglass also act as a client to a cloud service.
PS4 is an intermediate server between PS App and PS servers, you'll have to mess with your routers port security to access it thru an external host or else your router will block your request to the PS4 web server.

Dat speculation.

Makes sense to have the PS4 communicate directly with the tablet on a local area network. Everything else you've said here is unknown at this point.
Yep. That's it tho.
Smartglass does the same thing but with wifi direct if you're near your Xbone.

Abriael

Banned

A fan with stepless speed control will raise the voltage of the fan gradually instead of in big increments, basically the fan will become noisier more gradually depending on the heat it has to counter instead of going from zzzzzz to WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO suddenly.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Seriously though, it concerns me that the original design was intended to have half as much horsepower and they upped everything. But the design of the PS4, size, and cooling has stayed the same.

Now people are just making stuff up

Cidd

What the hell are you talking about?

Have you seen the PS4 before they updated the specs to know they kept the same design?

Top Bottom