• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Interview with Syrian First Lady Asma al-Assad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is a new interview with the First Lady of Syria about the ongoing war. I believe its a good view into the perspective of the war we don't see on western media stations. She speaks on a number of issues including her husband, President Bashar al-Assad, the refugee crisis (which she claims the western media is not focusing on the internal refugee crisis inside Syria), the actions of Russia, and offers made for asylum to her and her family in 2011.

Also this interview was conducted by Russia's Channel 24.

Syria First Lady Asma Al-Assad 'rejected offer of asylum'

Syria's first lady has said she rejected a deal to offer her safe passage out of the war-torn nation in order to stay by her husband's side.
Asma al-Assad revealed she believed those offering her a new home were trying to undermine her husband Bashar's presidency.
In an interview with Russian state-backed television, she refused to say who made the offer.
Mrs Assad also thanked Russia for its "noble efforts" supporting the regime.
Why Assad wants to take Aleppo
Children suffer horrors in Syria's war
How Moscow's bombing campaign paid off for Putin
Mrs Assad, whose social media pages are filled with pictures of her meeting orphans and the injured, told Rossiya 24: "I've been here since the beginning and I never thought of being anywhere else at all.
"Yes I was offered the opportunity to leave Syria or rather to run from Syria. These offers included guarantees of safety and protection for my children and even financial security.
"It doesn't take a genius to know what these people were really after. It was a deliberate attempt to shatter people's confidence in their president."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37697113

EFV9aEj.jpg

That Russian backed TV station is sure unbiased.

I didn't say it wasn't biased but I think it is important to see both sides to the conflict from both perspectives.

In my post-Graduate History program the professors constantly tell us "History isn't black and white. It's all about the grey." Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't dismissing another point of view for the cause of one's own in itself biased.

I didn't say it wasn't biased but I think it is important to see both sides to the conflict from both perspectives.

In my post-Graduate History program the professors constantly tell us "History isn't black and white. It's all about the grey." Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't dismissing another point of view for the cause of one's own in itself biased.

Both perspectives? There's dozens of perspectives in this conflict. Assad's is just to remain in power at any cost.

What's her take on Russia bombing all those hospitals and aid convoys?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Both?

Lol

Yes it's always important to have the perspective of the genocidal maniac and his family .

Both perspectives? There's dozens of perspectives in this conflict. Assad's is just to remain in power at any cost.

What's her take on Russia bombing all those hospitals and aid convoys?

Of course there are so many perspectives due to the numerous factions and regional interests involved here. I guess I should've been more specific in changing "both" to "all" perspectives.

She claims that the western media is focusing on the humanitarian side of the opposing forces to the regime and doesn't recognize this as a war. She also claims that western media is not focusing on the millions displaced inside Syria due to the refusal of opposing forces to acknowledge civilians who are in regime territory either but instead use this to paint the regime as being an enemy.

That's part of what she said and I don't agree but that is from her/ the regime perspective.

casiopao

Great interview. Nice to see the perspective on the other side too. Hope that Syria will be able to quickly find peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom