• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese trademarks from Sega (Shenmue), Sony, Square Enix and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Hell, why does it have to be exclusive to one company anyway? I don't see Sony or Microsoft having any reason to buy exclusivity for a series that didn't sell well 10 years ago.

I agree.

Shenmue is certainly a niche game from generations ago, and Sega couldn't even get the more action oriented Yakuza series sell for shit after numerous tries.

Jomjom

Banned
Yeah, but knowing that Cerny's talking to him about Shenmue 3 is more association with Sony and the title as of lately than Microsoft has with it currently. Just because it was on Xbox at one point doesn't mean 3's gonna be on it too. Final Fantasy started on Nintendo. Now, who's the only company without Final Fantasy coming to their system. Xenogears started on PlayStation, now Xenoblade and X are on Wii and Wii U. Titles change hands pretty frequently.

Hell, why does it have to be exclusive to one company anyway? I don't see Sony or Microsoft having any reason to buy exclusivity for a series that didn't sell well 10 years ago.

This is about money. Sega doesnt have the extra cash nor is it willing to drop the money necessary to make the game multiplat. Sony cant/wont drop that kind of money because its guaranteed to have a negative return. That leaves MS who both have the money and have shown that they would drop ridiculous money to develop a game, despite said game being in horrible shape and not at all proven to make money. Again if its to happen at all I dont see how its gonna be anyone but MS.

Or for the M. Night Shamalan twist Amazon or Apple funds it.

Totally agree. If anyone will drop money on this it will be MS. I just cant see it selling well to justify Sony investing in it. Ideally, it should be muliplat IF it happens in the hopes of a more broader appeal. IF anything comes out of it though, I just expect a HD remaster.

Well, there's Nintendo as well. They can't be expecting to make anything off of Bayonetta 2. They did that purely to try to reach the core gamer.

Fox Mulder

Well, there's Nintendo as well. They can't be expecting to make anything off of Bayonetta 2. They did that purely to try to reach the core gamer.

and they got shit on for saving the game by the very fans that loved it. It's going to sell like shit and do nothing for their underwhelming wiiu sales.

I doubt they'd bother doing that again.

SEGA
Shenmue
69e25708-af62-48e4-8edd-66cdd117a6e2.gif

Won't get my hopes up.

People overestimate Shenmue's audience. It is not going to be the 'Bone's messiah. Assuming of course the trademark is actually for something.

I'm not sure anyone is expecting it to sell. It's the very definition of a hardcore series. Anyone that's funding it, whether it be Sega or a first party studio, should be prepared to lose money on that investment. And a lot of it depending on the budget. S3 would be lucky to sell 2m units.

and they got shit on for saving the game by the very fans that loved it. It's going to sell like shit and do nothing for their underwhelming wiiu sales.

I doubt they'd bother doing that again.

I actually wonder how many of those people were fans of the original Bayoneta and how many were just complaining because it's a sequel to a game only on the PS3/360 and now it's only available on the Wii U. Anyone that was a fan should've been able to understand that there wasn't going to be a Bayonetta 2 without Nintendo stepping in.

Just a hunch, but I think Shenmue would sell muuuuuch better on the ps4 than the x1. I may be typing from my ass right now but I think the Playstation demographic is more susceptible to a game like Shenmue and SEGA would be foolish to ignore the PS4. If the game were to ever come out I would really hope it is multiplat.

abadguy

Banned
Being exclusive to X1 guarantees the series' death.

i thought it was already "dead", Odd. Anyway everyone pick their console of choice and claim that Shenmue is obviously coming to it. That's how this goes right?

Shenmue HD Collection. WiiU exclusive

jony_m

Errr if this ever comes out (which is not) it will be PS3 & Vita (maybe)

No way this is for new consoles, specially the bone with 0 units sold in Japan to date.

Hyunashi

True. But didnt Bayonetta sell relatively well and was also quite a recent game? I think people really over-estimate the fanbase and popularity of Shenmue.

Pennywise

I'm not sure anyone is expecting it to sell. It's the very definition of a hardcore series. Anyone that's funding it, whether it be Sega or a first party studio, should be prepared to lose money on that investment. And a lot of it depending on the budget. S3 would be lucky to sell 2m units.

True, allthough it was one of the most requested titles on the list Sony has build up with fan requests, it would cost money.
However, it could be something to raise the numbers for the japanese market.
Yeah I know, the Famitsu most wanted lists won't count as an argument, but we know that it would certainly help the system.

Oh, I agree. I've seen a few posts in here claiming Shenmue 3 to be the Xbox One's killer app. It's an incredibly niche title.

Gorillaz

Shenmue's crowd is more "cult classic" then the Soul Series before it went multiplat. It's not pushing console but it will be nice to see the fanbase finally get some "closure".

On the flipside TLG fans are basically dying of thirst at this point just to get the trademark going let alone closure lol

wapplew

Shenmue going to be multi billion project.
Full reboot of the series come with TV show, movie and only MS have the muscle behind it.
It's got the appeal to Chinese audience and MS will use it to enter China market.

Iwata announces renewed partnership with SEGA.

Drops Shenmue 3 for the Wii U on E3, is already 2 years in development, will release early 2015.

Imagine the tears on GAF.

People that keep on saying this kind of stuff have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to Shenmue fans.....we will take Shenmue III even if it’s written on toilet paper!

Shenmue fans don’t give a shit about what console Shenmue III comes out on, we just want the game! We’d be ecstatic no matter which of the three main consoles it appears on.

abadguy

Banned
Oh, I agree. I've seen a few posts in here claiming Shenmue 3 to be the Xbox One's killer app. It's an incredibly niche title.

I've seen people claim they would buy one if Shenmue came to the console, not that it would be some "killer app", though it's obvious a lot of people seem to think it is. Judging by the claims of it obviously coming to "insert favorite console here".

This thread in a nutshell:
tumblr_lzh0uhMkwM1qgwi7to1_500.gif

Pretty much.

Jomjom

Banned
People that keep on saying this kind of stuff have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to Shenmue fans.....we will take Shenmue III even if it’s written on toilet paper!

Shenmue fans don’t give a shit about what console Shenmue III comes out on, we just want the game! We’d be ecstatic no matter which of the three main consoles it appears on.

This. I wasn't trying to say it would likely be exclusive to xbone if it really did release as some fanboy nonsense, its just the most reasonable guess from a financial standpoint. I'd be happy no matter what its exclusive to, even the Ouya.

Shenmue 2 was on the Xbox along with a lot of SEGA's other games, while they weren't on the PS2 even though they would've made a lot more money if they were multitplat. It was like a middle finger to the PS2 for completely eating the market and helping to put the Dreamcast down. Pretty sure it's water under the bridge since a decade passing and changing leaderships tend to do that.

Tell that to Nintendo and their third party relationships.

True. But didnt Bayonetta sell relatively well and was also quite a recent game? I think people really over-estimate the fanbase and popularity of Shenmue.

It sold 2m units. But it's worth keeping in mind that it reached 1.3m in March of 2010. They just announced the 2m figure earlier this year. Certainly not bad numbers, but Platinum mentioned that they were expecting it to sell more than that.

True, allthough it was one of the most requested titles on the list Sony has build up with fan requests, it would cost money.
However, it could be something to raise the numbers for the japanese market.
Yeah I know, the Famitsu most wanted lists won't count as an argument, but we know that it would certainly help the system.

I do think Shenmue was biggest in Japan than it was in the west. It ended up selling 1.2m worldwide. It was one of the few DC games that actually sold 1m units. But Crazy Taxi outsold it. That kinda puts the sales into perspective. That's not a knock on CT. I'm just using it as an example because it's a series that you really never hear about, and even it outsold Shenmue.

Shadoken

Shenmue 2 would have done very well if it came out on PS2. Releasing on the Xbox with that ridiculously small install base was just suicide.

And at the time werent most people buying Xbox to play Halo? While PS2 had a healthy dose of Japanese titles that were selling well. Yea go figure where it would have sold more Sega.

abadguy

Banned
As someone who was a Sega fan for most of the years i have been gaming and loved the Dreamcast, it's pretty surreal to see erm..."certain fanbases" clamoring for this game to be on their console, considering how they would shit on it when it was a Dreamcast game and made fun of it when it failed.

My how things change... I am tempted to chalk it up to entitlement, or just another game to add to the "list warz".(The test will be how many people put their money where their mouth is and actually buy it if it comes to their system of choice. ) In any case which ever console it should land on it will likely be one i own. Unless it's a Vita/3DS.

Shenmue 2 would have done very well if it came out on PS2. Releasing on the Xbox with that ridiculously small install base was just suicide.

And at the time werent most people buying Xbox to play Halo? While PS2 had a healthy dose of Japanese titles that were selling well. Yea go figure where it would have sold more Sega.

Sega brought me to the Xbox, i only started liking Halo after the fact. As someone coming off the death of the DC, there was no way in hell i was buying a PS2 at the time. Not to mention at the time Sega and MS had a decent relationship( DC had a form of Windows in it as i remember) and most of the most anticipated games for the DC were moved to the xbox.( JSRF, Shenmue 2, Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta) I really don't see how Shenmue would have been a big seller on the PS2. It's a VERY niche title, it's not going to be a big seller on ANY console.

stevil

The only Shenmue that will have a chance of selling on console would be a new story or the story of 1-3 as a new game.

B.O.O.M

Honestly at this point sony has so many games that we know are being developed but have not seen yet. They are in a good position to have a good E3/TGS/GC this year. I'm curious to see how they go about it

That said that bloodborne name keeps reminding of Legacy of Kain. But it has to be the rumored/leaked Demon's souls spinoff right?

I could see MS fully funding this as their big Japanese Game. It'd certainly be one of the few games that could counter a potential Project Beast/TLG/Uncharted Trio and it'd bring a lot of attention to the X1 from the core audience. Still, I don't know if Sega would go for it, and who knows, maybe Sony funded it. Or maybe it's on both. Or more likely, it means nothing and it doesn't exist.

Tell that to Nintendo and their third party relationships.

Nintendo hasn't changed much, though, and they're still under Iwata who's oblivious to what 3rd parties want and supposedly Nintendo's not very open to 3rd parties like MS and Sony are.

Edit: Crap, I don't want to derail this thread.

Fox Mulder

MS got exclusivity to diversify their library, not a horrible motive. They got a couple of exclusive Sega titles after the Dreamcast died, which was very appealing to me as a Dreamcast fan.

Shenmue 2 just came out like a year later on the Xbox, and by then I imagine a lot of shenmue fans just said fuck it and had already imported the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom