• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Killzone: Shadow Fall story trailer [new footage]

ZeroAlpha

Banned
Watched this last night finally, looks fracking amazing having played all the previous killzone titles i love the angle this one is taking with the story So pretty too they have some amazing tech engineers over at Guerrilla Games.

Now the long wait to play it as I aint gonna be able to get a PS4 at launch :/

I love Killzone... but I feel like it would get so much more respect if it weren't called "killzone" (not the best name for the series imo)

GodofWine

I love Killzone... but I feel like it would get so much more respect if it weren't called "killzone" (not the best name for the series imo)

Is it really any better or worse of a name than cod or battlefield? its just generic war shooter names.

Its getting plenty of respect and might just outsell (on ps4) one or two of these 'generic name' shooter games.

the last scene with the guy with the skull cap in the rain.... I think
Spoilers
He is Lucas Father.... talking to him as a child before he (the father) gets killed

how do I know this?
KZ japan website said Lucas lost his Father because of some Helghast

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Speaking of Vita... so, am I really going to be able to play Shadow Fall (or any game) streamed through he PS4 to the Vita? I am still struggling to believe it / there must be lag.

There will obviously be lag, completely getting rid of it is a physical impossibility. But hopefully it won't be enough to make the game feel noticeably unresponsive. The PS4 has dedicated hardware for capturing gameplay and turning it into video ready to be streamed instantly (be that to Twitch/Ustream or your Vita), so hopefully that whole process is very fast (it isn't on the PS3, which is a major contributing factor to Remote Play lag there). The Vita is supposedly very fast at decoding video as well, although I'm not sure if it has dedicated hardware for it. Then it's just a matter of how fast the video can get to your Vita, but on a small and fast local network, or using an ad-hoc connection (i.e. a direct wireless connection between the PS4 and Vita), this shouldn't add any noticeable latency. So it should work very well. If you leave your local network and try to do this over the internet you're obviously talking about a completely different situation though, with a lot more potential for lag. You might get lucky and get completely playable results, or you might get unacceptable lag.

aly

But Kill zone is a real military term.I don't see it as being any more generic than COD or Battlefield. Although I also don't think most journalists are fans of the series as a whole either,so I wonder if that might hurt it some.

Servbot24

Banned
The human animations were not great, but that's such a minor part of the game that it doesn't matter too much.

But Kill zone is a real military term.I don't see it as being any more generic than COD or Battlefield. Although I also don't think most journalists are fans of the series as a whole either,so I wonder if that might hurt it some.

It's not the meaning of the name but the implication of the brand. Killzone is popularly established as a "pretty good" series, not an essential one. With a different name, who knows, could have been a fresh start.

Tesshin

Neo Member
the last scene with the guy with the skull cap in the rain.... I think
Spoilers
He is Lucas Father.... talking to him as a child before he (the father) gets killed

how do I know this?
KZ japan website said Lucas lost his Father because of some Helghast

I suspect that too. That'll give him some justification to dislike the Helghast, and gives him reason to join the VSA as a Shadow Marshal. (Not to mention character development! :D)

Tesshin

Neo Member
So...after seeing the story trailer, I still have that speculation that Echo might be Chancellor Visari's daughter. Even from the beginning it was obvious that Echo could never be Visari's daughter due to the 30 year gap. But could she be Scolar Visari's granddaughter?

Honestly I don't have much going for this theory, only that all three have the same color of eyes and Echo seems like she knows pretty well how Lady Visari thinks and acts because...well, they're daughter and mother.

Then again, green eyes might be a common trait for all Helghast, and Echo isn't related to the Chancellor at all. But it was just an interesting thought. :)

aly

It's not the meaning of the name but the implication of the brand. Killzone is popularly established as a "pretty good" series, not an essential one. With a different name, who knows, could have been a fresh start.

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I remember the reactions from the February reveal basically being ugh Killzone and I hope its not another Killzone.

Tesshin

Neo Member
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/killzone/shadowfall/story/

New updates on the JP Playstation site for KZSF. Echo is added, and apparently Elliott Sinclair was changed to Thomas Sinclair. :p The 4th character yet to be revealed will be either Lady Visari or Tyran, I think.

I used multiple translators, but I can't make heads or tails of Echo's bio. I may be Asian, but I'm Vietnamese (not Japanese!) so I have no idea what it says lol. Anyone want to take a crack at it? The official English site seriously needs to make a Characters section soon. :/

Vire

Poor Knack:

KuedDJX.png

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Poor Knack:

KuedDJX.png

I would agree. Looking forward to trying the demo for Knack though.

If I was only getting one PS4 game it would be Shadowfall.

Best launch title by far.

Best showcase of new hardware capabilities
Great looking SP campaign @30fps
Amazing looking multiplayer @ 60fps
Free Maps Model
Integrated with Sony UI better(from trailers)

That is the kind of stuff that makes for a great all around launch day package.

Nothing says, I got a PS4 and its awesome like Killzone Shadowfall.

That said, I also am getting Battlefield 4 Premium for dat

64 player
60fps
900p+
Vehicular Combat
Destruction
OiBF Moments
Pretty SP campaign.

While that is an amazing and for me, the more hyped game, SF is by far the best all around launch title package.

SnakeEyez

As someone looking in from the outside, I have seen the owl (beyond its great artistic look) to be a crux for players. It kills people for you, makes the game easier for you (stuns, shields etc)...

I would prefer if it was different than just damage and defense... maybe as a recon like thing where you can switch to seeing what it can?

This has been my biggest concern about the SP campaign. I feel that if they wanted to open the game up a bit, they would have to make the game a little more difficult but it seems that with the owl, it's actually easier. Hopefully hard difficulty nerfs the owl

Overall this is an awesome trailer, I didn't expect much, but I was blown away, everything looks great, but the real treat is actually Echo, I hope she is frequent in the game, and not like 30min of the whole game.

lol both this trailer and the BF one... what is with the female cast and kicking like badasses
well personally that's the only reason why these 2 trailers are great, without the badass females, these games would be the same old cliche military esque, especially Battlefield 4.
I think they look better in motion.

iCJ7mS7HLr3AC.gif

iZNUfNc3S9rM5.gif
Thank you, Echo looks so awesome and badass, especially the 2nd shot, just wow, love it.

yep he just doesn't talk that much.... unless he is about to be tortured that is ;)
Shame, I hope he at least talks from time to time like a human, rather than listen to someone keeps going on and on about something without replying at all.

It breaks immersion to me.

TUROK

They're not trying to recreate KZ2. They've said that they took Shadow Fall in a different direction because they felt the design of the trilogy had run its course, hence the vastly different level design and change of setting (although I expect we'll still get lots of war-torn dark Helghast environments on their side of the wall). Personally I'm glad of the change in style and new environments we'll get to explore. I've played all of the others and I've definitely had my fill of Helghan industrial complexes by now (I actually think KZ1 probably had the best level design from the trilogy, but it was also the weakest game by a long way), so I look forward for Killzone expanding in a different direction.
Oh, I'm beyond aware of that, but as someone who was drawn into the franchise by Killzone 2 (after being absolutely repulsed by Killzone 1), I want more of that. I want the intensity, the grittiness, the loud guns and the sense of "war is hell."

If Shadow Fall ends up being a great game, it won't matter that it isn't like part 2, though.

Keep on trolling turok.

Havent seen you say a single positive word for a playstation game yet
You're a sensitive one.

To be fair, I really don't have much kind words for anything relating to next-gen. The cynicism is strong in this one.

Top Bottom