• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
Shiiiit, at the beginning of the Luna's VA vid you can see vague snippets of her talk with Nyx.....it most definitely seems like the same location in which Noctis and Stella were supposed to meet.

You also see the crystal room in the beginning I think, though did the room have ice in it originally?

benzy

It's a mullet with class tho.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Why does it have to take place in Asia for there to be asians? You do realize there are Asians living in places all over the world right? Jeebus.
Holy mental gymnastics, who the fuck said that asian people only live in Asia, are you serious? It seems like you actively avoiding reading the content of posts. That's all you've done in this thread.

I see some Versus XIII stuff in there.
Some shots from Versus XIII that've been removed from the game have been repurposed for this film.

Balls

Banned
Holy mental gymnastics, who the fuck said that asian people only live in Asia, are you serious? It seems like you actively avoiding reading the content of posts. That's all you've done in this thread.

Some shots from Versus XIII that've been removed from the game have been repurposed for this film.
Look bro, this just isn't gonna go anywhere. Am I being a little extra? Sure, but sometimes you gotta be a little extra to get your point out there. If you don't feel that certain way then more power to you but I think it's naive to believe that some people wouldn't prefer playing as a more Caucasion looking character.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This seems is worthy of an answer. Seemingly the Japanese were critical of Noctis and crew's look in the game, calling them guys from a "Host Club". For those not knowledgeable, these are guys from a host club:

japanese-host-club.jpg

As with everything, its not an either or situation. Based on blogs like 2ch and JIN and Esuteru, there are many Japanese who didn't like how the held over Roen designs clashed with the new look of 15, that's generally where the criticism of hosts came from.

But there are just as many people saying that SE has essentially westernized the franchise and playing the gloom and doom card with the reveal of information about this movie, as many as there are people who are resigned to it being 'a reality of catching the global audience'. There are also those who are supportive of realistic faces, but they are usually seen as off putting by those used to the usual SE CG esque look.

As far as i've seen, opinions are very divided, the only thing that is generally agreed upon is that the departure in style is a shock.

I do, but it clashes with the photorealistic style they are going for.

Anime style when done with class and flair (Guilty Gear for example) is great.

Every FF since it went to 3D has generally been a fusion of anime style and CG esque 'realistic depth' with a hint of Japanese. That's the style vision works is most used to and what the games have based their styles on.

I'm just wondering where i've been for 20 years for this now to be a problem.

I heard someone say, "People's tastes change", well that's not the fault of the developers. The users being put off by Japanese designs and more 'accepting' of western oriented designs is their own problem. I didn't have a problem then and i don't now.

Crossing Eden

This seems is worthy of an answer. Seemingly the Japanese were critical of Noctis and crew's look in the game, calling them guys from a "Host Club". For those not knowledgeable, these are guys from a host club:

japanese-host-club.jpg
Meh, people in Japan just must not like the look of asian people duh.
/s
There are so many holes in that bullshit racism accusation that it might as well be painted yellow and named Spongebob.

Look bro, this just isn't gonna go anywhere. Am I being a little extra? Sure, but sometimes you gotta be a little extra to get your point out there. If you don't feel that certain way then more power to you but I think it's naive to believe that some people wouldn't prefer playing as a more Caucasion looking character.
Accusing people of not liking the look of asian characters when we're not even talking about a cast that looks asian is more than a bit extra. Literally only one person stated they prefer a more caucasian looking character in this thread. And again, you haven't been referring to "some people." Your posts keep generalizing everyone who disagrees with you. Because you seem unable to address what people are actually saying so you play the race card against some people who're minorities no less, and when called out on it you doubled down multiple times. Like either quote some fucking people saying that or drop it. Period.

Balls

Banned
Meh, people in Japan just must not like the look of asian people duh.
/s
There are so many holes in that bullshit racism accusation that it might as well be painted yellow and named Spongebob.

Accusing people of not liking the look of asian characters when we're not even talking about a cast that looks asian is more than a bit extra. Literally only one person stated they prefer a more caucasian looking character in this thread. And again, you haven't been referring to "some people." Your posts keep generalizing everyone who disagrees with you. Because you seem unable to address what people are actually saying so you play the race card against some people who're minorities no less, and when called out on it you doubled down multiple times. Like either quote some fucking people saying that or drop it. Period.
Noctis, you know the main protagonist of the game looks Asian. It doesn't matter if he is or isn't, but he looks it and that is enough to bother SOME people. And like you said, one person already admitted to liking Caucasian characters more. Just cause others haven't openly admitted to the same thing doesn't mean they don't feel the same way as well. They just don't want to admit it. Loving the passive aggressiveness though!

Crossing Eden

Noctis, you know the main protagonist of the game looks Asian. It doesn't matter if he is or isn't, but he looks it and that is enough to bother SOME people. And like you said, one person already admitted to liking Caucasian characters more. Just cause others haven't openly admitted to the same thing doesn't mean they don't feel the same way as well. Loving the passive aggressiveness though!
Considering the bolded, literally who? Quote more than one goddamn person saying it. At best. He looks half asian. His hair style is also identical to Sasuke, an anime character. He looks much more like a realistic depiction of an anime character than an actual person. Square even made an anime about the game itself. Nothing about Noctis's ethnicity is what bothers people about his design, some of the people who openly don't like it have praised much more asian looking characters in other game series. Again, start quoting what people have actually said. There are tons of final fantasy XV threads where people have expressed their opinions about the character designs. 99.9% of them, have nothing to do with the perceived ethnicity of characters who's design look right at home like this:
4f1d08e60c211088c4ab54d0de6d7199.jpg

Aters

japanese-host-club.jpg

I don't know how I feel about this.
A part of my brain tells me that it's supposed to be bad to look like someone form a Host Club. The other half tells me that they look so good that they are paid handsome money (pun not intended) for just being there and listening to what their customers say.

Balls

Banned
Considering the bolded, literally who? Quote more than one goddamn person saying it. At best. He looks half asian. His hair style is also identical to Sasuke, an anime character. He looks much more like a realistic depiction of an anime character than an actual person. Square even made an anime about the game itself. Nothing about Noctis's ethnicity is what bothers people about his design, some of the people who openly don't like it have praised much more asian looking characters in other game series. Again, start quoting what people have actually said. There are tons of final fantasy XV threads where people have expressed their opinions about the character designs. 99.9% of them, have nothing to do with the perceived ethnicity of characters who's design look right at home like this:
4f1d08e60c211088c4ab54d0de6d7199.jpg
I already addressed that in my post. One person already admitted to preferring white characters more. You REALLY think she/he is the only one? Come on now. Most complaints are just drive by posts that consists of "1000x times better than the main cast with no further explanation aside from the usual "jpop". You can interpret the jpop any way you want too but the way I interpret it is probably different from yours.

Crossing Eden

I already addressed that in my post. One person already admitted to preferring white characters more. You REALLY think she/he is the only one? Come on now. Most complaints are just drive by posts that consists of "1000x times better than the main cast with no further explanation aside from the usual "jpop". You can interpret the jpop any way you want too but the way I interpret it is probably different from yours.
No you didn't address that at all. What you said:

With the downfall of the Japanese console game industry which is now dominated by western games, people have become so accustomed to generic white protagonists that anything different is considered bad now.
^
The above is bullshit. I stated a number of reasons why including multiple links. Because you perceive ethnicity to be part of the issue I linked to a bunch of gaf reactions to minorities in other games. Again, the onus of proof is on you, not this--> "Uh, well, um, you see I interpret the word jpop differently than you." Sure you do. You're on one of if not the most liberal gaming forum on the internet. It's a lot harder to accuse people of racism when there aren't actual facts at play. Then you had the nerve to ask if I found that accusation offensive. Hell yes I found it offensive. You're using the race card as a incredibly transparent defense mechanism against people not liking realistic 3d anime doll faces compared to CGI characters that look like real people. The reaction would be the same if these characters were all based on actual Japanese people yet still had the same fidelity.

Balls

Banned
No you didn't address that at all. What you said:

^
The above is bullshit. I stated a number of reasons why including multiple links. Because you perceive ethnicity to be part of the issue I linked to a bunch of gaf reactions to minorities in other games. Again, the onus of proof is on you, not this--> "Uh, well, um, you see I interpret the word jpop differently than you." Sure you do. You're on one of if not the most liberal gaming forum on the internet. It's a lot harder to accuse people of racism when there aren't actual facts at play. Then you had the nerve to ask if I found that accusation offensive. Hell yes I found it offensive. You're using the race card as a incredibly transparent defense mechanism against people not liking realistic 3d anime doll faces compared to CGI characters that look like real people. The reaction would be the same if these characters were all based on actual Japanese people yet still had the same fidelity.

My proof is a poster openly admitting to preferring white characters because they prefer playing as something they enjoy looking at the most. That should be proof alone. You're naive to think that she/he is the only one with that thinking.

Crossing Eden

My proof is a poster openly admitting to preferring white characters because they prefer playing as something they enjoy looking at the most. That should be proof alone. You're naive to think that she/he is the only one with that thinking.
Nice try but first of all, you and others presented that bullshit defense mechanism BEFORE someone said that they prefer a more caucasian protagonist.
Your very first post in the thread:
Do people love the character designs because they look 100% white instead of Eurasian? Just curious.

Here's what people were actually saying:

I'm loving everything about this damn project except Tim Burton Luna. The character designs are amazing, and the fact that this is actually recreating what the Versus XIII would have been is so promising.

Also, I don't think how this character designs are any more "westernized" than characters like Snow, Sazh, Balthier, Tifa or Laguna were at the time. Final Fantasy has always had influences from every culture, not just japanese, and it's nice it's still going to be that way

So hot. I wish I can play as him instead of Noctis. It makes me not as excited about FFXV anymore. I'm bored with SE's typical emo, skinny hero with anime hair.

bro u being prejudice against beautiful Japanese boiz?
(I do agree, has a more grounded and interesting appearance)

I actually like the 'imperfections' they have. Not race, but wrinkles and other small flaws that, IMO, make it look just a little more realistic looking whereas most FF's, unless you're the old man character, you looked like a walking-talking model.

Your response:

So white = more interesting?
But white automatically = Interesting, deep, masculine.

You actively fucking ignored a shit ton of actual reasoning and immediately decided to play the race card. Someone even called you out on this shit because you only harped on race while ignoring what people were saying. And then ignored what people were saying again and again. One person does not represent everyone in the thread. Take issue with that poster specifically. Like, I don't know what else needs to be said at this point besides take the L and drop the racism accusations because they're bullshit. Even the guy who admitted to the cardinal sin of liking a caucasian protagonists said the following

You really do have inferiority complex of some sort.

Final Fantasy has been stuck in the whole Gackt phase since VII.

If they had modeled their Japanese characters along the lines of Hirai Ken, I'd be more interested but nope, they're stuck to their emo rock band type of character in almost every game, except maybe XII when Balthier came along. At least XV has more variety but still, the lead character is the same old archetype.
It's the Nomura same archetype people are tired of, not asian people.

Balls

Banned
Nice try but first of all, you and others presented that bullshit defense mechanism BEFORE someone said that they prefer a more caucasian protagonist.
Your very first post in the thread:

Here's what people were actually saying:

Your response:

You actively fucking ignored a shit ton of actual reasoning and immediately decided to play the race card. Someone even called you out on this shit because you only harped on race while ignoring what people were saying. And then ignored what people were saying again and again. One person does not represent everyone in the thread. Take issue with that poster specifically. Like, I don't know what else needs to be said at this point besides take the L and drop the racism accusations because they're bullshit.

Well what exactly made Nyx more"interesting"? That was a fair question to ask. But whatever, I'll let you continue living in your little fantasy world where whitewashing doesn't exist.

Crossing Eden

Well what exactly made Nyx more"interesting"? That was a fair question to ask. But whatever, I'll let you continue living in your little fantasy world where whitewashing isn't really a thing.
ice_cube_wtf.gif

What the fuck have you been reading? Seriously. Take a screencap of that post because obviously my screen is saying something different from yours.

I actually like the 'imperfections' they have. Not race, but wrinkles and other small flaws that, IMO, make it look just a little more realistic looking whereas most FF's, unless you're the old man character, you looked like a walking-talking model.
I'm bored with SE's typical emo, skinny hero with anime hair.
(I do agree, has a more grounded and interesting appearance)

I almost feel like this is what you see

Hurrdurr hurray, less asian more whitey yay!!!!!

Seriously, what the fuck have you been reading, this has to be some sort of trolling.

BlueWord

Well what exactly made Nyx more"interesting"? That was a fair question to ask. But whatever, I'll let you continue living in your little fantasy world where whitewashing doesn't exist.

FFS

I don't think anyone here is arguing that whitewashing doesn't exist.

Crossing Eden

FFS

I don't think anyone here is arguing that whitewashing doesn't exist.
It's literally like he's not reading my posts at all. It's pure insanity. It's like chatting with a tinder bot. That's all he's done in this thread is bring up arguments that literally no one is making. I literally linked the opinions and bolded the parts where they specified why they prefer the designs. Yet, he still persists.

Balls

Banned
It's literally like he's not reading my posts at all. It's pure insanity. It's like chatting with a tinder bot. That's all he's done in this thread is bring up arguments that literally no one is making. I literally linked the opinions and bolded the parts where they specified why they prefer the designs. Yet, he still persists.

I mean good for them I guess? Does it mean that everyone else feels the same as they do? One person openly admitting to preferring Caucasian characters is more than enough for me to think others with the same thinking exist. But please keeping trying to deny that.

Crossing Eden

I mean good for them I guess? Does it mean that everyone else feels the same as they do? One person openly admitting to preferring Caucasian characters is more than enough for me to think others with the same thinking exist. But please keeping trying to deny that.
Who specifically do you think prefers white people over asians? Specifically. Which big bad contingent of racist gamers are you referencing here? Who in this thread? That one person you're referring person didn't even say they prefer asian characters, just that they like the look of these specific caucasian characters. Seriously. Stop dancing around the argument, please.
-No one is saying they prefer whitewashing
-No one is saying whitewashing doesn't exist
-Plenty of people have outlined precisely why they prefer the look of the film cast

You have an issue with self awareness and some sort of persecution complex. Do I really have to ask what your ethnicity is. Because i'm genuinely curious.

Balls you got your point across just don't let the driveby posts get to you and let it go. Whitewashing exists and some prefer it because they identify with it.. It's messed up but it is what it is.

Ps: stop debating with C.Eden he's a known Ubi fanatic so it's like talking to a wall.

Crossing Eden

Balls you got your point across just don't let the driveby posts get to you and let it go. Whitewashing exists and some prefer it because they identify with it.. It's messed up but it is what it is.

Ps: stop debating with C.Eden he's a known Ubi fanatic so it's like talking to a wall.
Nice ad hominem. You know what I wouldn't do, I wouldn't go into a final fantasy XV thread and say:

"Don't debate the game with NoctisVsStar, he's obsessed with the game and no matter the reception or flaws will deem it a GOTY contender with the best story ever based on his post history in the FFXV threads."

Because it accomplishes nothing and is really childish. And Ubi fantatic? Seriously? Is this gamefaqs? Balls's posts have been pointed out by many other in the thread yet somehow i'm the wall here. Actually, this is a great example of the problem with a lot of debates I find here, here I am, with links backing up my points, actual quotes from other users and the devs, yet here's a dude doubling down on all of his bullshit accusations with literally nothing to back it up besides "Hurr I interpreted it this way." Yet somehow, i'm the one who's the issue here. Maybe you can do better.

When. Did. Anyone. Even. Imply. That. Whitewashing. Doesn't. Exist.

Wtf is with you guys in this thread? Even Tabata admitted that it took him a while to actually start liking Noctis since he thought he looked artificial. I rarely get pissed at people here on Gaf but you guys are insufferable with this. I've heard of deflecting criticism but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Balls

Banned
Nice ad hominem. You know what I wouldn't do, I wouldn't go into a final fantasy XV thread and say:

"Don't debate the game with NoctisVsStar, he's obsessed with the game and no matter the reception or flaws will deem it a GOTY contender with the best story ever based on his post history in the FFXV threads."

Because it accomplishes nothing and is really childish. And Ubi fantatic? Seriously? Is this gamefaqs? Balls's posts have been pointed out by many other in the thread yet somehow i'm the wall here. Actually, this is a great example of the problem with a lot of debates I find here, here I am, with links backing up my points, actual quotes from other users and the devs, yet here's a dude doubling down on all of his bullshit accusations with literally nothing to back it up besides "Hurr I interpreted it this way." Yet somehow, i'm the one who's the issue here. Maybe you can do better.

When. Did. Anyone. Even. Imply. That. Whitewashing. Doesn't. Exist.

Wtf is with you guys in this thread?

Look bro, I'm sorry for being too real with you. You listing a couple examples of people saying it's "not race! I swear!" or other bull crap like that just isn't enough gonna change my views. That's not how the REAL world works. And Ubisoft games suck. I bet you loved Aiden from Watch Dogs.

udivision

I don't think it's really about Asian vs. Caucasian.

The "Nomura Face", while stylistically is good, still has remnants of that doll kind of look. It's the reason why you could swap the hair of Lighting/Cloud/Stella/Noctis like people were fond of doing with those 3D renders and still have essentially the same person.

The Kingslaive style seems to avoid that, with having (at the very least) more flaws and different facial structures for the cast. It could just be higher fidelity allowing them to do that.

You should be able to like one or the other without being accused of a hate crime.

Crossing Eden

Look bro, I'm sorry for being too real with you. You listing a couple examples of people saying it's "not race! I swear!" or other bull crap like that just isn't enough gonna change my views. That's not how the REAL world works.
Here's the thing, you're being about as real as the look of the cast of final fantasy XV. As in, not very real at all. No one ever even implied that it's about race, YOU, brought it up in the first place despite people clarifying why they liked these character designs. You could scour through many post histories of many posters here including myself to see how we feel about racial issues in the US, especially Dice. In the real world, people don't double down on bullshit while everyone else is making expressions similar to that gif of Ice T posted above, even less so when you've done jackshit to back up your claims. Meanwhile, look back at any link i've posted in this thread. Look at those quotes, those were before your accusation. No one was thinking about race but you.

I don't think it's really about Asian vs. Caucasian.

The "Nomura Face", while stylistically is good, still has remnants of that doll kind of look. It's the reason why you could swap the hair of Lighting/Cloud/Stella/Noctis like people were fond of doing with those 3D renders and still have essentially the same person.

The Kingslaive style seems to avoid that, with having (at the very least) more flaws and different facial structures for the cast. It could just be higher fidelity allowing them to do that.

You should be able to like one or the other without being accused of a hate crime.
Exactly. Usually people are. But somehow in this thread it's different despite us knowing the look of the characters before. I seriously take offense with being accused of being a racist because god forbid I prefer the look of this film over the cast of the game for the reasons i've provided. It's like it's too hard for him to accept the idea that people don't like looking like a boy band coupled with yet another protagonist designed by Tetsuya Nomura who looks incredibly similar to his other typical character designs. So instead of accepting that Balls, NvS, and some others are doing these awful mental gymnastics.

Kinyou

I think you'd have a point if the only difference between these characters and the main cast was race, but their overall design looks a lot less extreme to me than the main cast and appears more grounded in reality. That the movie can render the skin and hair with so much more detail obviously helps as well.

Crossing Eden

I think you'd have a point if the only difference between these characters and the main cast was race, but their overall design looks a lot less extreme to me than the main cast and appears more grounded in reality. That the movie can render the skin and hair with so much more detail obviously helps as well.
A fuck ton of reasons have been specified in this thread about why people prefer the designs in the OP over the game's designs. Yes that includes how much more grounded and believable in the "fantasy based on reality" sense compared to the main cast. He's absolutely deadset on not accepting any of them. Doesn't help his argument that there's no difference in the race of the main cast and the cast of this film and we certainly can't have that so apparently we're racists. ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) I'd be even more pissed if Balls isn't a minority because like so many other thing dodged that question when asked. I just can't believe this shit considering how vocal i've been on this forum in threads with race issues in the past.

I prefer the look of the game characters (well some of them - Noctis, Luna, Cor, Gentiana, Ardyn). Aside from Crowe and Luna, most of the movie characters look very bland/generic to me (amazingly modeled/animated, but none the less).

However, it would seem fairly evident that there are lots of reasons one might prefer the movie characters aside from implicit bias. They're certainly more realistic. And in the context of Final Fantasy they're somewhat fresh looking.

I get irritated when people dismiss characters in a Japanese game as generic anime trash out of hand, and do think implicit bias and a desire to carry out some sort of proxy culture war can, at times, be part of what drives that kind of response. But there's plenty of room for people to dislike FF character designs in good faith and for totally personal and faultless reasons.

Not to wade into a firefight, but it should be possible to state that one feels traditional JRPG character design gets an unfairly bad rap without blanket accusing any particular individual who doesn't like a particular instantiation of that design of alterior motive.

There's so much zero sum/all or nothing discussion on Gaf lately. I like it when we get more variety in our games, and when developers keep changing it up.

Balls

Banned
A fuck ton of reasons have been specified in this thread about why people prefer the designs in the OP over the game's designs. Yes that includes how much more grounded and believable in the "fantasy based on reality" sense compared to the main cast. He's absolutely deadset on not accepting any of them. Doesn't help his argument that there's no difference in the race of the main cast and the cast of this film and we certainly can't have that so apparently we're racists. ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) I'd be even more pissed if Balls isn't a minority because like so many other thing dodged that question when asked. I just can't believe this shit considering how vocal i've been on this forum in threads with race issues in the past.

What does my ethnicity have to do with anything and yes I'm a minority. So forgive me if I take personable offense. I also don't like that jpop is used as a negative connotation but whatever.

Crossing Eden

What does my ethnicity have to do with anything and yes I'm a minority. So forgive me if I take personable offense. I also don't like that jpop is used as a negative connotation but whatever.
You're acting like you're being persecuted because people don't like the look of characters that don't look like actual people compared to the designs in the OP. You've ignored the reasons why and decided it's about race despite the characters in the OP being the same race as the cast of the game. It was never about race especially considering more than half the people in this thread elaborated on why. Their reasons make sense under scrutiny and they've all been here longer than you, i've seen their opinions in race threads. It's asinine to imply that not like the look of what's ultimately realistic depictions of anime to be equated with race. Seriously, drop the racism bullshit and listen to why people prefer it and discuss those reasons without trying to paint them as racists.

Koozek

You're acting like you're being persecuted because people don't like the look of characters that don't look like actual people compared to the designs in the OP. You've ignored the reasons why and decided it's about race despite the characters in the OP being the same race as the cast of the game. It was never about race especially considering more than half the people in this thread elaborated on why. Their reasons make sense under scrutiny and they've all been here longer than you, i've seen their opinions in race threads. It's asinine to imply that not like the look of what's ultimately realistic depictions of anime to be equated with race. Seriously, drop the racism bullshit and listen to why people prefer it and discuss those reasons without trying to paint them as racists.

Preach.

Balls

Banned
You're acting like you're being persecuted because people don't like the look of characters that don't look like actual people compared to the designs in the OP. You've ignored the reasons why and decided it's about race despite the characters in the OP being the same race as the cast of the game. It was never about race especially considering more than half the people in this thread elaborated on why. Their reasons make sense under scrutiny and they've all been here longer than you, i've seen their opinions in race threads. It's asinine to imply that not like the look of what's ultimately realistic depictions of anime to be equated with race.

Again, it doesn't matter what actual race the main cast is or isn't. Point is Noctis and his bros have an Asian aesthetic to them. Noctis especially looks asian.
screenshots-from-uncovered-final-fantasy-xv-show-a-very-sad-noctis.jpg

If you don't think he looks asian then I don't know what to say. Some people can say that he looks too "anime" but imo what they really mean is he looks too asian.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Since when are the Nomura characters a race? They don't look like humans at all.

They are not supposed to look like actual humans. They are based on anime inspired illustrations done by him after all.

Which is exactly why basing the movie's characters on real life western white people is so jarring

Crossing Eden

Again, it doesn't matter what actual race the main cast is or isn't. Point is Noctis and his bros have an Asian aesthetic to them. Noctis especially looks asian.
screenshots-from-uncovered-final-fantasy-xv-show-a-very-sad-noctis.jpg

If you don't think he looks asian then I don't know what to say. Some people can say that he looks too "anime" but imo what they really mean is he looks too asian.
No, they don't. That's what anime looks like, not actual people. When people are saying he looks too anime, they're saying he looks too fucking anime. Again, news flash that shouldn't be surprising to anyone, the vast majority of anime characters don't actually look or act like actual people, in fact, quite the opposite, the whole point of anime specifically is escapism. Most anime designs go out of their way to not resemble real people. Some anime that does feature realistic depictions of people received backlash for doing so, (Flowers of Evil). Prompto, has blue eyes, blonde hair, and freckles, Glados or whatever has the same hairstyle as the dude in the OP. We've had people who live in the East remark upon this fact. You have some warped perceptions of the East if you think Nomura designs are what people in the East look like. This is Nyx's VA.
IlhXpaQ.gif

No one would have any issue whatsoever is Nyx was based on him and not a french model. Noctis looks vaguely asian at best. It's the same reason why Prompto prounces around and makes expressions like this:
4472533-happy+prompt.gif

Since when are the Nomura characters a race? They don't look like humans at all.
giphy.gif
FFXV is the closest they've ever come to vaguely resembling people and that's due to things like wrinkles being added instead of perfectly smooth skin, which they still have in spades. We're talking about a cast that doesn't feature any facial wrinkling of any kind even when they're doing things like smiling.
noctis_lucis___smile_by_blackcat435-d8sjkit.png

They are not supposed to look like actual humans. They are based on anime inspired illustrations done by him after all.

Which is exactly why basing the movie's characters on real life western white people is so jarring
If the aesthetic is gonna be incredibly realistic, they need, (and have more than ever before), to start making the characters look like actual humans. I would actually welcome a final fantasy with faces based on scans of the Eastern cast. Otherwise, it starts to look jarring, especially the magic self styling hair styles that Nomura straight up admitted to be done out of obligation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom