• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Legacy of Kain Art from a 2016 Pitch (Kain/Raziel, Blood Omen Style Gameplay?)

KUaedV3.png

This is a couple days old but noticed it hadn't been picked up anywhere. Paul Scott Canavan, a concept artist/illustrator, was apparently approached to do art for a Legacy of Kain pitch last year and was just recently given the go-ahead to post said art publicly.

While one can assume the pitch wasn't picked up due to art being able to be released the prospect of a sequel/reboot/remake done in the vein of Blood Omen would be fantastic. At least someone(s) is out there still trying to make Legacy of Kain come back

Jebral

My heart! It hurts. I was just reading the thread about having a series you love die on you.

The end of Defiance was so awesome. Damn shame.

The voice work from Simon Templeman and Tony Jay. So exceptional. So great.

Cancelled Legacy of Kain game number 12?

The Pillars of Nosgoth 3DO
Blood Omen Saturn
Kain II Silicon Knights version
Kain II Crystal Dynamics version
Shifter
Soul Reaver 2 32-Bit
Sirens
Chakan II
The Dark Prophecy
Dead Sun
Nosgoth

And now...

Kain/Raziel Unnamed Project

I'm so fucking ready to play the game in those last two renders. How come no one has made a game look like that before, from that angle? How great would that have been as an update for the series?

Oh look it's time to cry!

Kain doesn't look monstrous enough like before. He just looks like a dude with his skin painted white

Hell he looks like Orlando Bloom Legalos

It was potentially set around the time of Blood Omen either a remake or via time travel. Kain would look more human around that time. I think he was killed in his early 30s?

CAR105 3

Blood Omen Saturn
Shifter
Soul Reaver 2 32-Bit
Sirens
Chakan II
The Dark Prophecy
Dead Sun
Nosgoth

And now...

Why must this world be cruel!

gdt

This just seems like an easy game to turn into a big open world Witcher 3 like game. Or lean in that direction with dungeons and such.

Cardon

Well at least SE is receptive to pitches being made for LoK, or at least they were last year.

But yeah, with Eidos seemingly on Marvel and Tomb Raider duty I wonder which studio would tackle a LoK game.

DocSeuss

Blood Omen Saturn
Shifter
Soul Reaver 2 32-Bit
Sirens
Chakan II
The Dark Prophecy
Dead Sun
Nosgoth

And now...

You can't cancel a pitch

According to E3 Coliseum Square Enix got 2 unannounced projects, anyone think Legacy of Kain is happening ?, I mean COME ON, we need something. This is brutal and heartbreaking.

Raziel looks like Norman Reedus.

But seriously, seeing that art makes me dream... I'd love another Soul Reaver. There's nothing quite like it.

Also, Denis Dyack may or may not have been involved. Only comment from anyone else I've seen online is from him.

9rfa8FW.png

The artist also follows him on Twitter and vice versa.

kJMZR7j.png

TwkYrJy.png

LMWanderer

Neo Member
Mama Robotnik, that list hurts more and more as it grows. I'm dissapointed, but I'd really want to see a team with an outstanding pedegree to handle a new LoK title. This pitch seems iffy. I have to say each time we get bad news like this it seems harder and harder for a new project to get off the ground.

[Asmodean]

Why not crowdfund?. #edit: if they could get the rights to do so (derp, forgot who owns the IP)

Can you imagine a kickstarter(etc.) page for a proper Legacy of Kain reboot, from a reputable development studio. If they could get the main voice talent back (where possible) too.

Maybe I'm an undead fool, but I believe this would succeed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not my kain. Either a reboot or not kain at all. He's not even holding the soul reaver hmmm.

Stuff like this hurts. I hate hearing about these games that never will be.

Psxphile

I'm all for a Kain reboot that looks like that, not sure what Raziel is doing there though. But I guess there's no point in rebooting something if you're just going to do everything the same as before, right? As long as they're still rivals it should work out.

That's not my kain. Either a reboot or not kain at all. He's not even holding the soul reaver hmmm.

Stuff like this hurts. I hate hearing about these games that never will be.

Depending on when it was set, that's how he would look. He was youngish when he died, and it could be pre-obtaining the SR, which doesn't happen till late game iirc.

There are higher resolution images on Paul's site. The Raziel and Kain image filenames refer to them as "Omen_Character_01" and 02. Maybe it was going to be a reboot of Omen but where Raziel shows up to muck things up?

Garlador

There are two sides of this coin. One side, a pitch is made and Square Enix rejects it. On the other, Square Enix turns it into a MOBA or mobile game. Either way, the game is rigged.

But perhaps you flip a coin often enough, and one day it lands on its edge....

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Also, Denis Dyack may or may not have been involved. Only comment from anyone else I've seen online is from him.

9rfa8FW.png

The artist also follows him on Twitter and vice versa.

kJMZR7j.png

TwkYrJy.png

If this is true maybe its better it didn't happen.

There are higher resolution images on Paul's site. The Raziel and Kain image filenames refer to them as "Omen_Character_01" and 02. Maybe it was going to be a reboot of Omen but where Raziel shows up to muck things up?

Given the time travel shenanigans the series has going, it's possible that Raziel could have played a background part Kain wasn't aware of at the time.

Kind of like how
Raziel the wraith is who killed Raziel the man in the past.

Tamanator

Wouldn't be surprised if this was a Dyack pitch in 2016. Guy seems desperate to develop another video game, which I doubt will ever happen again.

Why does it seem like LOK gets pitched constantly but nothing gets made >.>

I would love something in that series to be made but I've got to admit that if I was the one holding the purse strings it'd be tough to figure out the way to do it. It's a series with a convoluted backstory that may be impenetrable for newcomers, yet it's that convolution that drives its fanbase.

Does permission mean that it's been cancelled, and that's why he can show it? 🤔

Or they've decided to go in a different direction. Either way I'm not getting my hopes up, but at least there is still some recent interest in doing something with the LoK universe, that's enough for me, for now.

Given the time travel shenanigans the series has going, it's possible that Raziel could have played a background part Kain wasn't aware of at the time.

Kind of like how
Raziel the wraith is who killed Raziel the man in the past.
That happened 500 years before kain was born I think. But they could change around the story a bit

Top Bottom