• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lost Odyssey impressions and videos from IGN - RUH ROH

jett

D-Member
There are a few interesting story points in the demo. Kaim draws attention by the fact that he survives the calamity that kills everyone else in the early battle featured in the demo. A couple of soldiers state that it's amazing that he survived, while two peskier soldiers are a bit harsher in their tone, and seem to believe that Kaim deserted the battle. We presume this will be a recurring theme in the game. Too bad Kaim is the unspoken type of RPG heroes that the Japanese seem to love, as we'd like him to defend himself.

Are you jealous that the Japanese get this early look at Lost Odyssey all to themselves for now? Don't be. Viewed from most areas, the demo seems to be from an early stage of development. The visuals are rough, with choppy movement and a few peculiar glitches. The battle system is in a basic state right now, as it's lacking some of the gameplay systems that will make it into the final, including a growth system where immortal characters like Kaim inherit skills from mortal allies who've passed on.

Judging by the demo, Lost Odyssey feels like a PlayStation 2 RPG running in high definition. With its intriguing storyline and stirring Nobuo Uematsu score, we're hoping that's not the case. For now, you can view the new movies we've uploaded from the demo, but if you're like us, you'll find yourself hoping for a lot more next year.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/742/742895p1.html

Striek

D/ling, but what?!
Judging by the demo, Lost Odyssey feels like a PlayStation 2 RPG running in high definition
TGS huahuh?

edit; oh hey Australian IGN portal, haven't seen this before.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SDFist.gif

Tiktaalik

Judging by the demo, Lost Odyssey feels like a PlayStation 2 RPG running in high definition

They can't possibly mean graphically?

Do they mean like how it's very traditional? The demo movies made it look like it played exactly like an old school Final Fantasy game.

superNoid

Banned
What so new about this ? Sakaguchi said at TGS that the demo was missing SO MUCH content including all sorts of attack animations and gameplay aspects. He said that the demo in no way fully represented what the final game would be.

Why is this news ?

jett

D-Member
superNoid said:
What so new about this ? Sakaguchi said at TGS that the demo was missing SO MUCH content including all sorts of attack animations and gameplay aspects. He said that the demo in no way fully represented what the final game would be.

Why is this news ?

Guess with the Famitsu demo they managed to get much farther than the mostly CG-driven Sakaguchi demonstration. There's vids up at IGN of scenes we hadn't seen before too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`m still interested in checking out the demo. I`ll definitely pick up Famitsu Xbox this afternoon if its on stands.

Striek

Judging by the first video, theres no way they should've released this demo. Just walking around its very obvious its early (and not great looking). Stilted animation the biggest offender.

Although I've got to say I actually appreciate that we'll be able to see another 'premiere' next-gen game blossom from 'meh' to 'wow'. Its not much fun when games always get showcased in private :p

LJ11

GhaleonEB said:
isn't this just the TGS demo? I thought the consensus was the visuals were great, if early.

Yeah the visuals were great, but some media outlets (specifically Shane) stated the game felt and played like a PS2 RPG.

Amir0x

Banned
IGN said:
Judging by the demo, Lost Odyssey feels like a PlayStation 2 RPG running in high definition.

Uhm, good? Is being a "PlayStation 2 RPG" somehow a negative, or what? I mean, for 360 or PS3, all I personally want is a game that meets the standard of a good PS2 RPG but with next-gen graphics. 'Cause, ya know, games rock and haven't got even remotely old yet.

Amir0x said:
Uhm, good? Is being a "PlayStation 2 RPG" somehow a negative, or what? I mean, for 360 or PS3, all I personally want is a game that meets the standard of a good PS2 RPG but with next-gen graphics. 'Cause, ya know, games rock and haven't got even remotely old yet.

This post makes me sad.

RumFore

Banned
Yeah what the hell does that mean? At first it seems like a positive being that the PS2 is use to some great RPG's where as the XBox and 360 has none but then they add...

With its intriguing storyline and stirring Nobuo Uematsu score, we're hoping that's not the case.

Not next gen enough? Not new enough? Not different from the hundreds of other RPG's? What? Thats a odd statement because your not sure what he is trying to say.

clashfan

I think it's way too early to make a judgment on this game. I think MS is rushing this demo alittle too much to try to get attention for the Japan market. Why didn't they do a demo for Blue Dragon which is much closer to completion?

Amir0x

Banned
well i mean that's nice, my comment wasn't meant to stop you from wanting something different.

My comment is like "uhm, many PS2 RPGs rock the fucking house. If a 360 RPG is like a great PS2 RPG but with next-gen graphics, then that = fuck awesome."

Amir0x said:
well i mean that's nice, my comment wasn't meant to stop you from wanting something different.

My comment is like "uhm, many PS2 RPGs rock the fucking house. If a 360 RPG is like a great PS2 RPG but with next-gen graphics, then that = fuck awesome."

Yeah but that doesn't exactly make Mistwalker the foretold mystical RPG saviors for the XBox 360.

Troidal

This is sort of OT, but does playing this demo show up in your "Played Games" list?

I remember seeing some ppl having OXM in their list. (Any achievements?)

Amir0x

Banned
DarknessTear said:
Yeah but that doesn't exactly make Mistwalker the foretold mystical RPG saviors for the XBox 360.

i didn't say it does. In fact, my comment has nothing to do with the quality or lackthereof in Lost Odyssey... only, that it's a really lame complaint to say "it's just a PS2 RPG in HD." Uh, thanks IGN? Purchase confirmed!

Striek

Amir0x, you seem to assume theres only one caliber of PS2 RPGs :p

Watch the videos and read the rest of the text and I think it is meant to imply 'just another PS2 RPG' as in, nothing special.

Hunter D

What are people expecting? Turned based rpgs didn't disappear last gen and they won't this gen. As long as japanese gamers keep buying games with turnbased battle systems companies will keep using them. LO is a game with a big budget. The devs of the game are already doing something unique with the story, doing to many unique things could have a negative effect. It makes sense to give fans of the genre Japan something that they are familiar with.

Amir0x said:
i didn't say it does. In fact, my comment has nothing to do with the quality or lackthereof in Lost Odyssey... only, that it's a really lame complaint to say "it's just a PS2 RPG in HD." Uh, thanks IGN? Purchase confirmed!

Oh I'm not saying that you're saying that. But isn't that what GAF hype has led to? OMG SAKAGUCHI IS A BADASS etc. Blue Dragon looks pretty cool and everything but it really does seem like "SNES era RPGs, only prettier!" nothing revolutionary added to the formula or anything. And Lost Odyseey, well.. not even worth mentioning so far. Probably because it's in like 2% completion or something.

I'm not saying I mind TOO MUCH but I'd really like to see something fresh and new from someone.

Amir0x

Banned
Striek said:
Amir0x, you seem to assume theres only one calibur of PS2 RPGs :p

Watch the videos and read the rest of the text and I think it is meant to imply 'just another PS2 RPG' as in, nothing special.

Oh, I know the actual article has what appear to be valid complaints. I just took issue with that comment, because even in the context it seems to imply that to be a good RPG in next-gen you need to be more than a "good" PS2 RPG w/ next-gen graphics in HD, which is absurd from my vantage point.

Amir0x said:
Oh, I know the actual article has what appear to be valid complaints. I just took issue with that comment, because even in the context it seems to imply that to be a good RPG in next-gen you need to be more than a "good" PS2 RPG w/ next-gen graphics in HD, which is absurd from my vantage point.
Did they use the word "good" though? From the context it seems to imply a average PS2 RPG.

Amir0x

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
Did they use the word "good" though? From the context it seems to imply a average PS2 RPG.

it really seems to cast a 'generalization net', which would be equally as bad imo

I thought this was what people wanted: PS2 like RPG's on the 360.

Now something of that vein arrives and everyone is like "OMG! :( "

:lol

GAF kills me.

Heh.
I get the feeling MS pressured Sakaguchi into releasing this demo..it's way too early.
This is like releasing a demo of Halo 3 multiplayer here..just not needed.

I mean Sak didnt even let us play (or even SEE gameplay of) Blue Dragon until TGS which is like 3 months before it's release in Japan.. <shrug>

I think it looks good though, and I have nothing but confidence that a year from now, the end product will be worth the (year) wait.

I think they shouldve made a new trailer or something to tide us over.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
The TGS DEMO SUCKED

Other than the fact that it was somewhat awe-inspiring (in terms of graphics and musical score by the famous Nobuou Uematsu), the demo sucked. The combat sucked....

THE ANIMATIONS LOOKED NO DIFFERENT THAN TIDUS SWINGING HIS SWORD IN FFX.

THE GAME WASN'T EVEN RUNNING IN HI DEF AT TGS.....STUPID XBOX BOOTH PEOPLE....I TRIED TO TELL THOSE IDIOTS....

but they just wouldn't listen.....I wish the Viva Pinata guy would come. He was awesome! His English was AMAZING.

Mrbob

Bail out.

This game has looked boring anyway. Get away from the cut scenes and the game feels too archaic when going into gameplay.

duckroll

This demo is what happens when you put a bunch of guys whose last projects were FF8 and Legend of Dragoon respectively, give them the Unreal Engine 3.0 with no experience whatsoever, and then cut 30 minutes of the unfinished game out and put it on a DVD hoping it impresses. Big mistake. :D

ssoass

This seems like it'll be a pretty good, yet traditional Japanese RPG...
To me the setting and atmosphere feels like a mixture of FF6 and FF8.

mm04

This is funny yet very predictable stuff. This game isn't even close to being done and people are acting like it's the end of the world.

They seem to have their storyline, art and engine working. That's really all that matters, since it's so far off they could conceivably rework whatever they wanted gameplay-wise and still release it in late 2007. Isn't that about when it's slated for release anyway?

Now if there doesn't seem to be any improvement come June or whenever the new E3 is, then go ahead and restart the hate machine. Nobody is going to remember this demo a year from now. To say the drama in this thread is a bit premature is being very generous.

mm04

JDSN

Banned
This is the kind of article that helped to kill E3, developers dont want to show their unfinished games anymore to avoid this kind of crap.

Top Bottom