• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V Day Time Demo: Must Watch!

-Winnie-

This looks incredible, holy shit. I loved all the new moves he had (that hand to hand combat was sick) and the lighting really deserves props for how realistic it looks. Although that regen health... looks like legit CoD style shit. Please remove.

Setsuna

Not sure how I feel about all the action and explosions at the end, but it looks good nonetheless.

not really the action its how they did the action

you leave the base getting chased by APC then you run back steal a car and then drive out the front gate while getting shot at

its just weird

iiiiit's beauuuuuutiful

and how in the world do these graphics look dated? is it the video compression artifacts or something? lol

Looks better than the last demo, but I still get the feeling that tackling open world has turned out to be a bit of a mistake. A lot of the new stuff I'm seeing in the gameplay is looking less and less like what I loved about MGS gameplay, and more like a developer desperately trying to catch up on certain popular things in the AAA space spearheaded by western developers in the last few years.

It's really hard to be impressed by any attempt at open world action when I'm playing GTAV too, and I think the comparisons at this stage will be really hard not to make, since there are a lot of similarities in the scenarios shown and some of what you do in GTAV. Except one game is actually out right now, and much more impressive and vast in scope, while another is merely being demoed in a very limited way at TGS with no release date in sight.

Might be a bit of unfortunate timing on Kojima's part. :(

The very idea of comparing other games to MGS makes no sense to me personally. There's always that signature MGS flavor to these games, no matter how much they deviate from each other. I have my problems with them, but these problems are never defined as: "Game X did this better than MGS"

When it comes to "scope" I never wanted a large map to traverse freely; I'll get GTA or similar open world games to satisfy that need. I'm more interested in "sandbox" elements when designing encounters / challenges / boss fights. I.E: Making it so a situation can be approached from multiple angles and play styles.

At the end of the day, all I want is for Kojipro to approach this in manner they feel makes sense for their style.

duckroll

The very idea of comparing other games to MGS makes no sense to me personally. There's always that signature MGS flavor to these games, no matter how much they deviate from each other. I have my problems with them, but these problems are never defined as: "Game X did this better than MGS"

When it comes to "scope" I never wanted a large map to traverse freely; I'll get GTA or similar open world games to satisfy that need. I'm more interested in "sandbox" elements when designing encounters / challenges / boss fights. I.E: Making it so a situation can be approached from multiple angles and play styles.

At the end of the day, all I want is for Kojipro to approach this in manner they feel makes sense for their style.

I actually agree with all that. Which is why it is troubling for me to see that KojiPro seems to be directly chasing a lot of those comparisons on their own. They're trying to do stuff which look and feel less MGS to me, and more like "we can try to be more like xxxx". Maybe it's just what they've been talking a bout and showing off to try and get more attention in the press. Who knows.

I have my problems with them, but these problems are never defined as: "Game X did this better than MGS"

Kojima would be relieved to hear this, because mechanics wise MGS has sucked for a long time. Without some kind of Gestalt thing where the whole is more than the sum of its parts, MGS would collapse under the weight of its cumbersome controls, crappy combat, overlong, stilted script and its unbearably pretentious, bloated story.

RSB

Banned
Looks like a next-gen Peace Walker, which is great.

The graphics (especially the lighting) look amazing. I hope they release a 60fps video of that level soon. The gameplay looks as good as ever (I'll never understand the people that call MGS gameplay bad and/or cumbersome, if anything I'd say it's always been very intuitive and natural, definetly one of the best games in that regard) Love the way Snake moves now, he looks so agile sprinting, rolling, jumping, diving, shooting... pretty cool.

And people are worrying over nothing, IMO. I'm pretty sure all those assists (marking, slow-mo, etc) will either be optional, or restricted to the easiest difficulty settings (like the radar, or the ez gun in previous games) You'll be able to play the game old school if you want to, and surely there will be plenty of incentives to play the whole game stealth. Kojima is just making the game so that there will be many options whether you are playing stealth or not. That's definetly a good thing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
UI, animations and enemy AI needs work but besides that it looks amazing.

kitanii

Banned
This is not how next gen looks... this looks terrible.

1. All the detail is lost due to compression and only 720p res via YT.
2. Ground Zeroes has only been announced for PS3, 360 and possibly PC? Making this the PS3-version.

Despite the loss of quality it looks amazing.

jett

D-Member
Well, COD-like health regeneration style confirmed multiple times over. BUBUBU HE'S PROBABLY BE USING AUTO-RATIONS!!111 Wish I had the patience to quote all those that contradicted me. :p

That was definitely a better look at the game. Some of the animations seem robotic and dated, the way Snake runs looks completely unnatural. And the shooting doesn't seem very much improved since MGS4. Graphically it looks great for a PS360 game though. I still don't know how I feel about the whole thing, almost none one of the "additions" sit well with me.

Omikaru

I want to like this, but I can't. As a diehard MGS fan, this looks so disappointing. I don't see any of the signiture Kojima Productions style or uniqueness. Instead, all I'm taking away from the two demos is that Kojima is trying to make a generic "safe" Western game. The biggest offender is, of course, the recharging health. In Metal Gear, I always liked that there was a limit to how much "action" you could have in the game, since your rations weren't forever. I see no motivation to use stealth in this game.

Of course we haven't seen everything, and we don't know how boss battles and such will play out, but I'm not hopeful about this one, I'm sad to say.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I want to like this, but I can't. As a diehard MGS fan, this looks so disappointing. I don't see any of the signiture Kojima Productions style or uniqueness. Instead, all I'm taking away from the two demos is that Kojima is trying to make a generic "safe" Western game. The biggest offender is, of course, the recharging health. In Metal Gear, I always liked that there was a limit to how much "action" you could have in the game, since your rations weren't forever. I see no motivation to use stealth in this game.

Of course we haven't seen everything, and we don't know how boss battles and such will play out, but I'm not hopeful about this one, I'm sad to say.

I entirely agree with the above mentioned point of regenerating health on a whim, but fans of genres have to embrace change. Can you imagine how terribly boring it must be for a developer if they mass produce the exact same game every few years with very few differences?

Formulas grow old and stale, and developers are always willing to try new things, and I think fans should recognize that and not be too stubborn and quick to dismiss their efforts.

In addition to that, considering the route MGS4 took in regards to gameplay, I don't find the open-world to be too much to get used to.

duckroll

I entirely agree with the above mentioned point of regenerating health on a whim, but fans of genres have to embrace change. Can you imagine how terribly boring it must be for a developer if they mass produce the exact same game every few years with very few differences?

Formulas grow old and stale, and developers are always willing to try new things, and I think fans should recognize that and not be too stubborn and quick to dismiss their efforts.

In addition to that, considering the route MGS4 took in regards to gameplay, I don't find the open-world to be too much to get used to.

Nothing wrong with trying new things, but it's boring for consumers when people aren't trying "new" things but rather trying to copy whatever else seems to be popular at the time. Can you imagine how terribly boring it must be for a gamer if they play the exact same game mechanics every 6 months with very few differences? :)

Ratrat

I'm confused on how the health regen works. In the live demo the guy says Snake has to be crouching or lying still to heal, which doesn't seem to be the case when he's playing. They also say something about heavier injuries involving disjointed limbs and stitching (automated version of Snake Eater?)wounds, which we did not see at all n spite of him nearly dying, jumping off shit.

cackhyena

Kojima would be relieved to hear this, because mechanics wise MGS has sucked for a long time. Without some kind of Gestalt thing where the whole is more than the sum of its parts, MGS would collapse under the weight of its cumbersome controls, crappy combat, overlong, stilted script and its unbearably pretentious, bloated story.
Yuuuuup.

pixlexic

Banned
Thank goodness I hardly if ever notice these things lol. I just play man. If the graphics aren't nurtured shit then the mechanics is what counts.

I use to not notice but after playing on a decent pc for 2 years these things jump out at you .. even on pc!..

I much rather rather they dailed back the bells and whistles and have one coherent world than have LOD for everything.

Wind waker is a perfect example of that.

NeoUltima

Looks very promising and fun. But also looks like it needs some more work too (pop in, janky animations, horrible explosion effects).

I guess I can see why regenerating health is in. That shit went nuts once the alert started.

Alienous

One thing I don't remember anyone mentioning is if camo is done as a mechanic. I see no camouflage usage at all in the game. That is probably why Kojima added tagging and the slow mo cause losing the ability to hide in the open is huge

MGSV's stealth seems to be based on light/shadow, in addition to line of sight.

Amazing game design mate.

Alienous

Looks better than the last demo, but I still get the feeling that tackling open world has turned out to be a bit of a mistake. A lot of the new stuff I'm seeing in the gameplay is looking less and less like what I loved about MGS gameplay, and more like a developer desperately trying to catch up on certain popular things in the AAA space spearheaded by western developers in the last few years.

It's really hard to be impressed by any attempt at open world action when I'm playing GTAV too, and I think the comparisons at this stage will be really hard not to make, since there are a lot of similarities in the scenarios shown and some of what you do in GTAV. Except one game is actually out right now, and much more impressive and vast in scope, while another is merely being demoed in a very limited way at TGS with no release date in sight.

Might be a bit of unfortunate timing on Kojima's part. :(

I think there needs to be a distinction between open-world and a sandbox game. MGSV is the former, not the latter. It isn't a "do whatever you want to, in this playground"-game.

The move to an open world, in my opinion, is perfect. Rather than a cutscene explaining your infiltration and exfil, that is up to you. You might sneak in on foot, or hide in a truck. There are probably a plethora of other ways to infiltrate the bases in the game, such as underwater.

This should allow Kojima and Kojima Productions to tone down the amount of cutscenes, and allow players to create their own stories. You allowed your helicopter to get shot down. You decided to take a Jeep to escape. You barely made it, not Snake in a cutscene.

At its best, it could fulfill the potential of GTA V's heists. You'll survey a base for a couple of days, decide your best point of infiltration, set up a vehicle on the outskirts and attempt your mission.

I was pretty excited until I watch this, I love the whole concept of open world stealth and I think it could be amazing but a couple of things bug me about this and another night time video I watched.

He can drive cars with lights on, under watch towers and the guards AI is so poor they don't even notice.

He can see enemies through walls, what the fuck, the worst mechanic from the last of us returns and I fucking hate it. Wall hacks don't belong in any game period. Maybe allow it in easy mode or some shit, or have the tag fade away after 5 seconds or something.

The biggest issue I had with MGS4 is back, he seems to have infinite health, I think god mode is standard for a demo, however sometimes if I fucked up a mission or didn't stealth through a part properly in MGS4 I would try to restart the section by getting killed. I would need to absorb something like 100 bullets straight to the head while Snake plays out the only damage taking animation they seemed to make over and over "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh" "uh"

While on the subject of animation, some of them are amazingly well done while others are terrible, he seems to lean when turning which is great but his jump and fall animations are just poorly thought out. He doesn't even roll when he lands, he also looks rigid as fuck in the car he's driving.

The enemy AI is alarmingly bad, straight daylight he's standing almost in front of the enemy and they are oblivious to his presence.

I think most of my issues could be put down to balancing, and animation.

Jay Sosa

Man the shadows right at the beginning look real bad and I'm usually not someone who notices stuff like that.

and since when is snake superman and can see through stuff? meh

iqUBWTUQ7p2DB.gif

Either this or the dolphin dive were the funniest parts of the demo to me. Game definitely looks great though.

On the bright side, the controls look a LOT less cumbersome than the usual MGS standard. And with the open world nature, maybe Kojima might reign it in a bit with his bloated, stilted narrative storytelling.

Alienous

Man the shadows right at the beginning look real bad and I'm usually not someone who notices stuff like that.

Stealth games, generally, either have:

- A way to see enemies through walls to avoid detection.
- or a radar that shows enemies' cones of vision, and where they are in relation to you.

MGS just shifted from one system to another. Previous MGS games allowed you to turn off your radar, so I don't see why MGSV wouldn't allow you to turn off tagging if you didn't want it.

BadWolf

Looks excellent, can't wait for this.

The way things are set up I can see myself spending countless hours on this game.

pixlexic

Banned

since forever?

he has always had a tech something to allow him to see people through walls. Its never magical.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing wrong with trying new things, but it's boring for consumers when people aren't trying "new" things but rather trying to copy whatever else seems to be popular at the time. Can you imagine how terribly boring it must be for a gamer if they play the exact same game mechanics every 6 months with very few differences? :)

Mechanics will always be borrowed from other games. Nothing is novel. At least concerning the title of Metal Gear itself, it's a turn in a different direction.

In an open world game you can literally be spotted from any direction, it's different from navegating narrow spaces with lots of walls blocking field of view, so I can understand that they felt the need for the tags. I'm playing Crysis 3 right now which works the same way and also has a sandbox environment and though I feel it's cheap, I can see why it was implemented, though I will avoid using it.

Mechanics will always be borrowed from other games. Nothing is novel. At least concerning the title of Metal Gear itself, it's a turn in a different direction.

People expect these types of games to play in a certain way and it isn't surprising to see japanese franchises that still have their control schemes stuck in the past to assimilate these mechanics.
It's like RE and other games still having a button prompt to climb or drop down a ledge. Instead of just giving you a button to jump/climb you still get an on screen prompt to execute these actions in 2013, this stuff needs to die.
If they can figure out ways that improve the formula fine, but getting rid of these archaic mechanics is also important.

yeah, if you thought enemies suddenly spotting you right out of your peripherals in a game full of linear hallways was annoying, multiply that possibility times 10 in an open world. I think that's also why they're going for the slow-motion thing, I mean you could be potentially spotted from just about anywhere now. There's not that "OK, I got to the next area/next room, I'm safe from those guys in the last one, even though they're on Warning/High Alert" feeling anymore.

BadWolf

yeah, if you thought enemies suddenly spotting you right out of your peripherals in a game full of linear hallways was annoying, multiply that possibility times 10 in an open world. I think that's also why they're going for the slow-motion thing, I mean you could be potentially spotted from just about anywhere now. There's not that "OK, I got to the next area/next room, I'm safe from those guys in the last one, even though they're on Warning/High Alert" feeling anymore.

There's also the fact that in previous MGS games the guards moved in a very specific pattern and if you didn't like how things were going you could just exit and re-enter the area to reset everything and start a new.

You can't do that anymore since its all one huge area now. Guards will be constantly on the move and memorization won't be as effective anymore.

Top Bottom