• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V Day Time Demo: Must Watch!

Respawn

Banned
mgs2_by_raziel1992-d6n5cfj.gif

This scene solidified my purchase. *sooo good. gif*

I use to not notice but after playing on a decent pc for 2 years these things jump out at you .. even on pc!..

I much rather rather they dailed back the bells and whistles and have one coherent world than have LOD for everything.

Wind waker is a perfect example of that.

Built my first PC back in the late 90's.
Now I have a Quad I7
12gigs of fast ram
GTX570 EVGA OC
Both my 750 Seagates running on a marvell processor in Raid 0.

Trust me when I say it isn't really a problem for me.

Jay Sosa

since forever?

he has always had a tech something to allow him to see people through walls. Its never magical.

Seriously? I can't remember having x-ray vision in MGS1 2 or 3, haven't played 4.

And lol at the radar pic..totally the same as actually seeing the guards through obstacles on screen.

LowParry

Seriously? I can't remember having x-ray vision in MGS1 2 or 3, haven't played 4.

And lol at the radar pic..totally the same as actually seeing the guards through obstacles on screen.

I don't remember if MGS1 had the "see through" mechanic but you clearly had a radar that shows you the enemies and cone directions of where they were looking. To me; basically the same thing.

The slow mo stuff I think they can do without however.

That looked fun. I hope the open-world nature of this game doesn't take away from the variety of the game though since the unique and changing stealth scenarios are really what I love about the series.

Radar or X-ray/tagging both allows you to keep track of your enemies. Tagging might be more challenging as it's manually done through binoculars, which have never been as useful as in previous MGS games. And unlike the radar, X-ray doesn't show you where your opponent is looking.

Kojima is hearing feedback on those, so you'll probably get at least one difficulty mode where it won't be available, and can get caught as many times as you want.

Jay Sosa

I don't remember if MGS1 had the "see through" mechanic but you clearly had a radar that shows you the enemies and cone directions of where they were looking. To me; basically the same thing.

The slow mo stuff I think they can do without however.

Well we agree to disagree then, I hope you really will be able to turn that off.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
In an open world game you can literally be spotted from any direction, it's different from navegating narrow spaces with lots of walls blocking field of view, so I can understand that they felt the need for the tags. I'm playing Crysis 3 right now which works the same way and also has a sandbox environment and though I feel it's cheap, I can see why it was implemented, though I will avoid using it.

People expect these types of games to play in a certain way and it isn't surprising to see japanese franchises that still have their control schemes stuck in the past to assimilate these mechanics.
It's like RE and other games still having a button prompt to climb or drop down a ledge. Instead of just giving you a button to jump/climb you still get an on screen prompt to execute these actions in 2013, this stuff needs to die.
If they can figure out ways that improve the formula fine, but getting rid of these archaic mechanics is also important.

Agreed, especially with the last part.

FACE

Banned
Looks better than the last demo, but I still get the feeling that tackling open world has turned out to be a bit of a mistake. A lot of the new stuff I'm seeing in the gameplay is looking less and less like what I loved about MGS gameplay, and more like a developer desperately trying to catch up on certain popular things in the AAA space spearheaded by western developers in the last few years.

It's really hard to be impressed by any attempt at open world action when I'm playing GTAV too, and I think the comparisons at this stage will be really hard not to make, since there are a lot of similarities in the scenarios shown and some of what you do in GTAV. Except one game is actually out right now, and much more impressive and vast in scope, while another is merely being demoed in a very limited way at TGS with no release date in sight.

Might be a bit of unfortunate timing on Kojima's part. :(

Well...

Hideo Kojima said:
"GTA V" new trailer was awesome! This free control is future of the game, way higher than anywhere, makes me depress as matter fact. I don't think our "V" can reach that level. Rockstar's team are the best. W/o question they will pull up the possibility of game.

I think this game looks great. They should totally give you the option to turn off slow motion, mark and execute, and x-ray vision if you want to though.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if that shadow pop in is something that is smoothed out on next-gen versions by release time. From the sounds of it the next-gen builds are relatively new considering they had nothing to show at E3 for next-gen.

Also, I think this game will look way more impressive on next-gen on a proper 1080p 60FPS feed.

Xyber

So, when are we getting the high quality versions? The links in the OP are still way to shitty to see any details so I haven't watched the demo yet.

bud

the animations are still so very robotic. i remember an interview with kojima years ago where he talked about how next-gen (this was ps3, iirc) would allow them to do much more realistic animations, but i have yet to see any of that. the way they are now, the animations look very similar to mgs4's.

The Lamp

-He wants to give feel of survivor game, he doesn't want players to feel of game where "if I take 3 more hits, I will die" so no HUD for life. But he is willing to listen to user feedback.

The bolded is exactly what makes people feel like they're in a survivor's game. It brings weight to the consequences of your actions. Kojima, please consider a real life/health meter!

Tekku

Markers would be enough to locate enemies, the x-ray vision is a bit over-the-top. Also I don't see the point of slow-motion really. But then again I don't know exactly how it works. Is it unlimited or do you only have a couple of slow-mo's each mission?

BadWolf

Really like how BB has a unique animation for shooting where the camera is pointing in relation to where his body is.

Like when he goes on the roof of that watch tower and takes out the rifle, his body kind of twists in that direction.

Also during the part where he is on the ground and shooting enemies after the helicopter is destroyed he shoots enemies in an arc but instead of just moving around an axis or whatever he actually positions his body and arms in a unique way the further he turns.

Radar or X-ray/tagging both allows you to keep track of your enemies. Tagging might be more challenging as it's manually done through binoculars, which have never been as useful as in previous MGS games.

At the 5:28 or so mark he tags someone without the binoculars, seems you have to be close enough to do it though.

the animations are still so very robotic. i remember an interview with kojima years ago where he talked about how next-gen (this was ps3, iirc) would allow them to do much more realistic animations, but i have yet to see any of that. the way they is now, the animations look very similar to mgs4's.

Hm, I really can't agree with that. I think they are pretty good. The enemy soldier's walking animation or his arm dangling back and forth while Snake is carrying him for example are well done.

Guymelef

Both demos (Sony and Microsoft) shows PS3 and X360 buttons. (and i think it's the same running on PC)
Has Kojima say something about this is next gen versions?

Tremis

This man does his research.
I don't think it even matters that he's willing to take feedback on the xray vision or slow-mo.

The fact that he thought it was a good idea in the first place means this game has little hope. Too bad I guess.

Vire

Both demos (Sony and Microsoft) shows PS3 and X360 buttons. (and i think it's the same running on PC)
Has Kojima say something about this is next gen versions?

This is the next gen versions?...

Breaking news: PS4 and Xbox One have same buttons as last generation.

Really like how BB has a unique animation for shooting where the camera is pointing in relation to where his body is.

Like when he goes on the roof of that watch tower and takes out the rifle, his body kind of twists in that direction.

Also during the part where he is on the ground and shooting enemies after the helicopter is destroyed he shoots enemies in an arc but instead of just moving around an axis or whatever he actually positions his body and arms in a unique way the further he turns.

At the 5:28 or so mark he tags someone without the binoculars, seems you have to be close enough to do it though.

Thanks for the clarification.

A lot of those motions plus the vehicular (helicopter and tank) destruction, the lighting, and some of the enhanced CQC make me love this already. Feels like there's going to be many fun ways to approach the same missions.

cackhyena

Hm, I really can't agree with that. I think they are pretty good. The enemy soldier's walking animation or his arm dangling back and forth while Snake is carrying him for example are well done.
Really? Like, sure some of it has improved without a doubt. A lot of it seems so stiff, still. It's even more jarring because it happens in seeming 2x speed a lot of times. Several things he did I was just like, "oh, well that just happened faster than humanly possible".

dan2026

I don't think it even matters that he's willing to take feedback on the xray vision or slow-mo.

The fact that he thought it was a good idea in the first place means this game has little hope. Too bad I guess.
Reducing the frustration and making the game more fun, can only be a good thing.

Why must everything be rediculously difficult?

He's also zoomed the camera in at that point. Seems like pressing R3 will toggle to a closer view like it does in the binoculars and the map screen. Actually he does this at 6:00 too, again tagging when zoomed.

I'm just not feeling it anymore. Hopefully with more environments shown, MGSV will grab my attention.

The CQC looks awful, at least the animations. Kojima should hire the guys at Naughty Dog to work on the animations.

leadbelly

Banned
While other things are much better in other games, this probably has some of the best lighting I've ever seen.

Yep. I thought the same thing last night when watching it. I think the lighting is a big reason for why the game looks as good as it does.

Really? Like, sure some of it has improved without a doubt. A lot of it seems so stiff, still. It's even more jarring because it happens in seeming 2x speed a lot of times. Several things he did I was just like, "oh, well that just happened faster than humanly possible".

Well, some animations have to play out fast for the sake of responsiveness. Overall I think it's good.

They should really give some incentives to play this game stealthy, everbody will just Rambo through this from start to finish, and that doesn't really look like a lot o fun.

But it probably will depend on the map, it can work both ways.

If it's anything like Peace Walker, getting an S Rank on missions is usually only possible by fast, stealthy completions -- unless the mission requires combat.

One thing I don't remember anyone mentioning is if camo is done as a mechanic. I see no camouflage usage at all in the game. That is probably why Kojima added tagging and the slow mo cause losing the ability to hide in the open is huge

Most likely, it will be like Peace Walker, where you choose you outfit before heading out on the mission. There's the Sneaking Suit, Battle Armor, and a number of Camo outfits that are suited to different environments; so there's no constant camo changing like in MGS3, just one outfit for the whole mission.

Carbonox

Looks fantastic. Can't wait to play this. If there is an option to turn off some of the new stuff, that'll be even better.

Cross post from the other thread:

These are the things i want Kojima to improve for the next gen version:

1) Better/higher detailed character models. Add tessellation or opensubdiv kojima, character models looks almost exactly the same as current gen versions which is saying a lot.

2) Improve some animations. The running animation looks amazing, but the falling/jumping animation is somewhat lacking.

3) Make the hair better.

4) Better implementation of motion blur.

That's about it, 1080p60fps is more than i could've ever hoped for an mgs game.

pixlexic

Banned
This scene solidified my purchase. *sooo good. gif*

Built my first PC back in the late 90's.
Now I have a Quad I7
12gigs of fast ram
GTX570 EVGA OC
Both my 750 Seagates running on a marvell processor in Raid 0.

Trust me when I say it isn't really a problem for me.

your specs and trust doesn't make the shadows stop popping in. :/

Also it needs to be said, it's been over 10 years since MGS2 so WHY is the AI dumber. When soldiers going missing from their posts no one get suspicious, they don't send out patrols or replace the guard. This was basic stuff in MGS2 for god sakes.

Another thing that I've noticed throughout all these trailers. No caution state. There has not once been a point where Snake is seen or whatever and then hides from the guards and they search for him. It seems to be either stealth the whole way or alter phase that never goes away that leads to a shoot out. Hiding to get ride of caution was one of the most intense and fun moments of Metal Gear. You finally have an open world to play hide and seek in but instead we play shoot'em up.

How do you know the guards dont call in or check in. In the demo boss was moving quickly from place to place, you have no clue what the guards in the other area were doing.

Again you are making an assumption, they only showed alert in the demo. Now having no timer is worrisome so maybe you are correct but we still do not know if there is no caution phase. I dont think Kojima would remove that, that would be stupid.

Most likely, it will be like Peace Walker, where you choose you outfit before heading out on the mission. There's the Sneaking Suit, Battle Armor, and a number of Camo outfits that are suited to different environments; so there's no constant camo changing like in MGS3, just one outfit for the whole mission.

Yeah I am starting to see that this is Peace Walker the mega big budget edition. That could be great but there are some things about PW that didnt sit well with me, mostly the endless repetition of certain types of missions and how you have to use one strategy over and over to get the best ranks. The ones with tanks or enemies that take like ten minutes of repetitive damage to take out, it was more like PSO than MGS,

BadWolf

Yeah I am starting to see that this is Peace Walker the mega big budget edition. That could be great but there are some things about PW that didnt sit well with me, mostly the endless repetition of certain types of missions and how you have to use one strategy over and over to get the best ranks. The ones with tanks or enemies that take like ten minutes of repetitive damage to take out, it was more like PSO than MGS,

That was the point, they were trying to go for the MH crowd with it.

Top Bottom