• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview (Asturias) - on creations, Zelda by Retro, online, Miiverse...

What the hell constitutes as "charm?" Annoying NPCs that serves no purpose but to have one, long ass, mundane, boring tuturial on how button A is used to attack, and the Z or R shoulder button is to lock onto an enemy? Gee wiz, why do I feel like I've seen all this before? "Hey! What's that light over there! You should check it out!" Hey! What's that hole over there!? I think you should bomb it!"

Nintendo and its Zelda team is no different than CoD or other developers out there. They don't want to alienate and create difficult games.

There are very few NPCs that do that.

Nintendo is a publisher, and it has a many developers so that's one big hyperbole. There too many different games coming from Nintendo.

NewFresh

Bullshit. Miyamoto & crew knows what Retro did with Metroid Prime and DKCR and he's scared to death they'll blow Zelda into something way better than what they could do. He'll have to die in order for Retro to get a shot at Mario or Zelda. Until then, they'll probably just have to deal with franchises like Star Fox, F-Zero, etc

I think a far better reason than them being "afraid" of creating a great game (Which, by the way, sounds insane seeing as Retro and Nintendo have a great relationship and a good game regardless of developers would only benefit Nintendo) is that they see Zelda as a major franchise that is a key part of their company and its history. For this reason, they like having full control over its creation. Really, it does not sound like it has anything to do with Retro, but more with Nintendo wanting to keep it internal. The person asking the question simply framed it within the context of Retro, it could have been asked as "Why aren't any other developers working on Zelda?" and the same answer would have probably come from Miyamoto.

I hope that quells some of your concern towards Nintendo being afraid of Retro.

Violet_0

Banned
leave Zelda to EAD, someone mentioned a Sheik spin-off made by Retro Studios in another thread and I'd be totally behind this idea. The game would follow the Zelda formula and still be it's own thing (think Mario > Banjo Kazooie).

What the hell constitutes as "charm?" Annoying NPCs that serves no purpose but to have one, long ass, mundane, boring tuturial on how button A is used to attack, and the Z or R shoulder button is to lock onto an enemy? Gee wiz, why do I feel like I've seen all this before? "Hey! What's that light over there! You should check it out!" Hey! What's that hole over there!? I think you should bomb it!"

Nintendo and its Zelda team is no different than CoD or other developers out there. They don't want to alienate and create difficult games.

Oh no, they want their game to be played by more than forumites, the shame, the horror!

NPC's in Zelda games are some of the most interesting in gaming, from Tingle to Malo, Malon to Talon, all the various other shop keepers, the Gorons, etc They are pretty memorable(& that's without mentioning the obvious ones like Sheik, or "Hey! Listen!") Considering some of those character are from a game I played almost 15 years ago I would consider them to have charm.

Your suggestion sounds like a smaller, mechanically sound Skyrim(which would be fun to play, but not suitable for a Zelda game imo), whereas I would prefer a Zelda game that followed the structure of a Portal or a SoT(which would be an actual change rather than pining for an update of the first game in the series which was surpassed back on the SNES.

The Retro comment is kind of a BS answer as Nintendo has handed off the franchise to Capcom in the past. His reasoning is that Retro is too far to take direction from EAD? Whatever. Nevermind Retro's own involvement with a Nintendo franchise that has always been developed at Nintendo, Metroid.

Capcom is in Japan. And Miyamoto has really nothing to do with Metroid.

Then what do people want it to be? They tried changing things and adding new elements in Skyward Sword, and that didn't work. I think at this point Nintendo doesn't give a fuck anymore and will just make whatever Zelda game they want to make, It must be a pain in the ass to deal with a fanbase like the Zelda fanbase.

Sorry for exploding but seriously .________.

These are the hazards of designing a series that has as many working elements as Zelda. You'll notice that on Ami's description of what Zelda is "about," overworld exploration totally dropped out. I suspect there are people for whom puzzles are not important (since they weren't a major element in the first two games), and there seem to be plenty here who could do without significant NPC interaction. Yet there are large groups insisting each of these things is essential to a good Zelda. Nintendo cannot fully satisfy all Zelda fans at once. In fact, I'd argue that the reason the OoT formula has been so successful is that it does a good job of giving all these groups some of what they want in a Zelda. The trouble is that there have been seriously diminishing returns on the exploration element, both because Nintendo has actively cut back on non-linearity (see PH, ST, and SS, where regions of the world don't even exist until it is time for you to conquer them) and because players' familiarity with the structure leaves them with a pretty good idea of where everything is going to be. This second point is, I think, why everyone loves the Snow Manor stage in TP so much: the dungeon itself comes as something of a surprise, and the item is a surprise. So even if nothing else radical were to happen within the dungeon, even if the puzzles were really boring (they're not), there would at least be the slight gratification of not knowing what sort of puzzles or encounters to expect.

neoism

You know, I kind of find it funny that people try to slam games by saying they have archaic design in them. These are large games that are comprised of design principals learned from other games that those other games learned from games before them and so on. It doesn't surprise me that when scoping out a game a design team would have to lean on some older design principals so they can focus on the new things that they're adding. If you're always starting from the ground up you get development nightmares like The Last Guardian. Almost every game out there has a little bit of old (and maybe a little too old for some people) and a little bit of new.
yeah I agree to a point.. but nintendo with Zelda other then adding a couple of ""new"" items... it uses the same thing every time while not making it as fun and of course this is subjective. I want something 100% originally new for Zelda not the same shit every time. SS had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much filler... The last great Zelda game was Wind Waker...it to had archaic design but had real charm with its graphics, and the boat stuff did get old.. but whatever this is nintendo where talking about..lol

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
yeah I agree to a point.. but nintendo with Zelda other then adding a couple of ""new"" items... it uses the same thing every time while not making it as fun and of course this is subjective. I want something 100% originally new for Zelda not the same shit every time. SS had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much filler... The last great Zelda game was Wind Waker...it to had archaic design but had real charm with its graphics, and the boat stuff did get old.. but whatever this is nintendo where talking about..lol

ugh

MYE

Okami was Zelda lite that happened to have a very original artstyle to make up for its shitty dungeons and repetitive structure.

I love Okami and I own it twice. But its no Zelda.

See this is the problem Nintendo has, In my eyes WW is the worst 3D Zelda game(except in terms of art-style) how would they ever keep both of us happy?

Also one mans filler is another mans new mechanic. I love the abuse that the note-collecting gets in SS though(even though the justification for it was terrible, it was a perfectly acceptable mechanic that wasn't overused in the slightest), they add a new mechanic & it's filler, they don't add anything new & it's formulaic.

BlankaBR

Banned
Okami was Zelda lite that happened to have a very original artstyle to make up for its shitty dungeons and repetitive structure.

I had more fun playing OKAMI than any Zelda but Ocarina of time

onilink88

See this is the problem Nintendo has, In my eyes WW is the worst 3D Zelda game(except in terms of art-style) how would they ever keep both of us happy?

Also one mans filler is another mans new mechanic. I love the abuse that the note-collecting gets in SS though(even though the justification for it was terrible, it was a perfectly acceptable mechanic that wasn't overused in the slightest), they add a new mechanic & it's filler, they don't add anything new & it's formulaic.

Man, can you image what a clusterfuck a fan-developed Zelda would turn out to be? I'd pay hundreds to see it.

I had more fun playing OKAMI than any Zelda but Ocarina of time

Good for you. It's still not Zelda, though.

Violet_0

Banned
*Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to ask: why is that people with Japanese/anime/manga avatars aren't taken seriously around here? Should I disable/change mine?*

my advice: a pony/homestuck avatar will garner you sympathy and respect around these parts

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
These are the hazards of designing a series that has as many working elements as Zelda. You'll notice that on Ami's description of what Zelda is "about," overworld exploration totally dropped out. I suspect there are people for whom puzzles are not important (since they weren't a major element in the first two games), and there seem to be plenty here who could do without significant NPC interaction. Yet there are large groups insisting each of these things is essential to a good Zelda. Nintendo cannot fully satisfy all Zelda fans at once. In fact, I'd argue that the reason the OoT formula has been so successful is that it does a good job of giving all these groups some of what they want in a Zelda. The trouble is that there have been seriously diminishing returns on the exploration element, both because Nintendo has actively cut back on non-linearity (see PH, ST, and SS, where regions of the world don't even exist until it is time for you to conquer them) and because players' familiarity with the structure leaves them with a pretty good idea of where everything is going to be. This second point is, I think, why everyone loves the Snow Manor stage in TP so much: the dungeon itself comes as something of a surprise, and the item is a surprise. So even if nothing else radical were to happen within the dungeon, even if the puzzles were really boring (they're not), there would at least be the slight gratification of not knowing what sort of puzzles or encounters to expect.

Sometimes I think the problem Zelda and its fanbase suffers from, is an inflated sense of gravitas with what The Legend of Zelda even is.

I am not too young; I'm 38. I was already past the "early childhood christmas" phase when I played games like Zelda II, and A Link to the Past. Back in the day, I never had the sense that The Legend of Zelda was as big of a deal as people make it out to be. To be sure, Zelda is a storied series. Zelda has a lot of iconic elements that have become tropes and cultural references in gaming. That's the biggest contribution it's made.

But in its original context, Zelda was just "another good Nintendo game". It wasn't above or below Super Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, or anything else. It was seen as a gold star example of how to make a solid adventure game, and nobody made them quite like Nintendo, so yes, Zelda was special. And despite all the cynicism aimed at Nintendo today, nobody still makes them like Nintendo. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and yes, the DS duology - set aside bitch fests over hating X element from a game, be objective about it, and nothing has quite the polish and attention to detail of an in-house Nintendo production. Even if it's not a title you, personally, love.

What I think did the real damage to Zelda was Ocarina of Time. That game is put on a pedestal as few video games ever have been. I believe one of the main reasons is shock value. It arrived at the time of the great transition to 3D games. It was the first large scope 3D action adventure game. Nobody had ever seen anything like it - it was like a Battle Arena Toshinden, if Battle Arena Toshinden had ha ha, been a good game after the shock and awe of a three dimensional world wore off. Add to that the "Nintendo childhood effect", where so many people have Nintendo games burned into their brain on christmas morning, creating a aura of chemically entrenched nostalgia that will never be recreated.

As a result, suddenly Zelda went from being just another quality game in Nintendo's portfolio with beloved bits of lore, to supposedly being a game the industry hinged on. I really do get the impression that a lot of people possess a virtually subconscious expectation that every Zelda game is supposed to be a gamechanger. Like a centerpiece release for the entire gaming landscape. And in truth, objectively, after only one game (OOT), it's been nothing but criticism and scorn that every subsequent Zelda game hasn't had the same impact as Ocarina of Time. Nintendo, meanwhile, has mainly focused on just making good Zelda games. The truth is they've succeeded. Regardless of how each game compares to another Zelda, the games are still on a high level of quality. It's one of those situations where I can't help but think if you removed the name from the cover and called it something else, people would generally applaud it as brilliant. Sometimes I think we seriously need a Folger's Taste Test in video gaming. Too much of people's reaction to a game always seem wrapped up in their expectations. And for die hard fans of a series, the hope that a new entry will be a religious experience.

I liked Okami. I just wanted to kill the flea guy.

That and I HATED the fact there are objects that can be lost forever and you have to play all the game again just to get it.

Too bad we didn't get a Zelda game as ambitious as Xenoblade on the Wii.

You think changing the control system to be motion controlled shows a lack of ambition? Or is it only ambitious if they give you what you want?

Man, can you image what a clusterfuck a fan-developed Zelda would turn out to be? I'd pay hundreds to see it.

The funny thing is so many people on Gaf hate the thought of focus-testing games, but when Nintendo (try to at least, although I think SS was a step in the right direction)make the game they want to the bitching starts(although saying that did the bitching ever stop after TP was released?)

It can be when you post your opinion as a fact.

But it's literally not Zelda. It doesn't have the name Zelda, or characters from Zelda, or story from Zelda. It's just very similar and also very fun. How can Okami be Zelda when it can't be Zelda?

Zelda

onilink88

It can be when you post your opinion as a fact.

Holy shit. It can't be a better Zelda by virtue of not fucking being Zelda. You wanna call it a superior Zelda clone? Fine, go ahead. But shit, let's not pretend there's not a massive nuance between both statements.

There's some kind of virtual gas leak in this thread or something...

K' Dash

Thank God they don't seems to hand over Zelda to Retro...
Not that they aren't good in general it's only that they can't make a Zelda because it would be like Infinity Ward doing a Dragon Quest

What the fuck? o_O

On topic, they should give Retro a chance to do a spinoff Zelda like MM, of course they should have creative freedom with Nintys supervision.

nmanma

I would pay anything to see a behind-the-scenes documentary of that. Oh, the carnage

*Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to ask: why is that people with Japanese/anime/manga avatars aren't taken seriously around here? Should I disable/change mine?*

People like having prejudices about other people because of their hobbies. Some people judge gamers as violent manchildren, some gamers judge people that like anime as pedophiles and so on. At least we are above furries in the pecking order. I'd keep it, it's handy for keeping prejudiced people away

Says who?
okami_cover_original.jpg

The box

noobasuar

Banned
Can someone give me some examples of better adventure games this generation than skyward sword?

Some of you people litterally don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Nekofrog

Banned
Remember what happened last time Miyamoto came face to face with an Western developed game using one of his characters and it was better than anything he'd made at the time?

He instantly hated it. He's afraid.

Remember what happened last time Miyamoto came face to face with an Western developed game using one of his characters and it was better than anything he'd made at the time?

If you are talking about DKC, it was an average game with amazing soundtrack.

I was very happy with the way Skyward Sword shook the Zelda formula up - it felt different to previous Zelda's, and did a lot of creative things with the new control method. Settings were also creative and memorable.

It did have its own irksome problems, however. If these had been fixed it would've ranked as my favourite in the series. But yes, I am happy for Zelda development to stay in Japan.

Quackula

Sometimes I think the problem Zelda and its fanbase suffers from, is an inflated sense of gravitas with what The Legend of Zelda even is.

I am not too young; I'm 38. I was already past the "early childhood christmas" phase when I played games like Zelda II, and A Link to the Past. Back in the day, I never had the sense that The Legend of Zelda was as big of a deal as people make it out to be. To be sure, Zelda is a storied series. Zelda has a lot of iconic elements that have become tropes and cultural references in gaming. That's the biggest contribution it's made.

But in its original context, Zelda was just "another good Nintendo game". It wasn't above or below Super Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, or anything else. It was seen as a gold star example of how to make a solid adventure game, and nobody made them quite like Nintendo, so yes, Zelda was special. And despite all the cynicism aimed at Nintendo today, nobody still makes them like Nintendo. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and yes, the DS duology - set aside bitch fests over hating X element from a game, be objective about it, and nothing has quite the polish and attention to detail of an in-house Nintendo production. Even if it's not a title you, personally, love.

What I think did the real damage to Zelda was Ocarina of Time. That game is put on a pedestal as few video games ever have been. I believe one of the main reasons is shock value. It arrived at the time of the great transition to 3D games. It was the first large scope 3D action adventure game. Nobody had ever seen anything like it - it was like a Battle Arena Toshinden, if Battle Arena Toshinden had ha ha, been a good game after the shock and awe of a three dimensional world wore off. Add to that the "Nintendo childhood effect", where so many people have Nintendo games burned into their brain on christmas morning, creating a aura of chemically entrenched nostalgia that will never be recreated.

As a result, suddenly Zelda went from being just another quality game in Nintendo's portfolio with beloved bits of lore, to supposedly being a game the industry hinged on. I really do get the impression that a lot of people possess a virtually subconscious expectation that every Zelda game is supposed to be a gamechanger. Like a centerpiece release for the entire gaming landscape. And in truth, objectively, after only one game (OOT), it's been nothing but criticism and scorn that every subsequent Zelda game hasn't had the same impact as Ocarina of Time. Nintendo, meanwhile, has mainly focused on just making good Zelda games. The truth is they've succeeded. Regardless of how each game compares to another Zelda, the games are still on a high level of quality. It's one of those situations where I can't help but think if you removed the name from the cover and called it something else, people would generally applaud it as brilliant. Sometimes I think we seriously need a Folger's Taste Test in video gaming. Too much of people's reaction to a game always seem wrapped up in their expectations. And for die hard fans of a series, the hope that a new entry will be a religious experience.

This post is awesome and spot on and I don't understand why everyone is ignoring it :(

I like how you can't even bring yourself to name the game you are referring to? If it is DKC, then you are sadly mistaken, even at the time it was seen as "merely" a competent platformer, DK64 wasn't even Rares best 3d platformer, & DKCR while being the best of the games mentioned is nowhere near the classic platformers he has made.

Violet_0

Banned
Can someone give me some examples of better adventure games this generation than skyward sword?

Some of you people litterally don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Twilight Princess :p
but not by much (technically also qualifies as current-gen, I believe)

He wasn't afraid to suggest Retro to make the latest Donkey Kong game, so whats up with this?

Yes, this is also why Miyamoto was seen sneaking into the new Retro Studios building, later that night, plans for Retro's new game were reported missing, files deleted, storyboards burned, and people kidnapped.

He's afraid.

Amir0x

Banned
This post is awesome and spot on and I don't understand why everyone is ignoring it :(

it's a well articulated point, but I think the point would diverge in that I genuinely don't think the DS duo or Skyward Sword hold up well. There are so many issues in Skyward Sword that not even a first year amateur developer would fall into that I can't just say 'look at it objectively and you'll see no one polishes blah blah like an in-house Nintendo product.' Same for the DS products.

But I really do believe that the Zelda game DOES have pride of place among the best franchises ever. And that is without Ocarina of Time too. It is LINK'S AWAKENING, not Ocarina of Time, that is the greatest in the franchise; I'd also take Majora's Mask, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, etc and a few others over it too.

I agree totally with his assertion that Ocarina of Time was put on a pedestal, but there is also sound reason for this. It implemented so many standard-setting gameplay features and transitioned the experience into 3D so effectively that, like Mario 64 before it, it changed people's perspectives of what is possible. While I would certainly agree that, like Mario 64, it's actually overall quality is relatively lower now compared to the industry standard today, I can't say it's somehow unwarranted that it received the place it has.

nluckett

Well said.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nor did he hate it when Retro revamped Metroid, another classic Nintendo series. In fact, HE SUGGESTED IT.

He did, however, hate Amusement Vison's take on F-Zero, though I'm not sure why, since it rocked.

I thought Miyamoto was disappointed with the portable F-zero games' sales and not much else? Or something to that effect. And yeha Miyamoto had some input with Prime, wasn't he the one who told them to go first person to begin with?

Top Bottom