• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview

SantaC

European magazine LEVEL has interviewed Shigeru Miyamoto. It's quite a lengthy interview so I translated the most interesting questions (not all of them) for gaf's pleasure.

And no, this is not a fake interview. LEVEL is mostly consisting of people from the old Superplay crew and has credible game journalists.

edit: I did the translation in a hurry, so sorry if there is bad grammar and stuff.

Q: You have said that development teams are too big today, and that you prefer to work with a max total of 10 persons. In that perspective, it must had been fun creating New Super Mario Bros.

Miyamoto: Yes, and I had to do Donkey Kong all alone. We a lot grew during the NES era, but I had to do Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda the same time. Back then I welcomed new co-workers. Today it's easy to look back and see the charm with that time.

Q: New Super Mario Bros has got some criticism for being too easy. Has it been difficult to make games for both new and old gamers?

Miyamoto: I always try to make games that caters to both accustomed and unaccustomed gamers, so that's always a difficulty. But sure, I had never to deal with it directly as this time.

Q: You're known to customize Nintendo's next game controller after a new Mario game. How was your input with the DS?

Miyamoto: I am an industry designer at base, so I contributed with advice and assistance in the big perspective. I checked how the buttons fitted, the distance between the screens, things like that.

Q: How do you know when a game is real good?

Miyamoto: I use to invite my colleagues and their families and let them play. I don't tell them anything, but I study them how they play. I give them no hints at all. It's very good to see how people manage to play a game for the first time. Then I have help by Super Mario Club, a team that bug test all the games. They also say what they think of the games if they're good or bad. They always speak their mind and give criticism on level of difficulty and other things.

Q: The music in the Mario games had always been special, and is apparently inspired by bluegrass that you like a lot, but still you haven't written any music since Donkey Kong.

Miyamoto: It because I don't have time, but I still have an influence what kind of music that is selected. I have benefit to work with Nintendo's best composers. I often bring discs that I play for them, so they understand what genre I am looking for and what feelings I want to supply with the music. For me, the genre, the feeling and the pace are more important than melodies. I also have my point of view on the sound effects.

Q: Nintendo is sometimes accused of catering too much to the Japanese gamers. Are you afraid that westerners don't understand them? (the games)

Miyamoto: Everything is about choosing universal subjects; then a game can be appreciated by anyone. Take Nintendogs as an example. Everybody likes to pet dogs. Therefore anyone can appreciate that game. Can I ask you what you ate for dinner yesterday?

Q: I ate a steak.

Miyamoto: That phrase actually came from a Brain Training commercial. When we ask that question, people start to wonder. The question has nothing to do with games, so even though the people that are not gamers think this must concern me! It's better to ask that question than how many weapons that will be in the next Zelda.

Q: During the years many different Mario Projects has been rumored to be in development just to vanish later on. A sequel to Super Mario 64 has been in development, and a 3D Mario for snes, and during the Gamecube era; Mario 128 has been mentioned i many different contexts. What happened to these games? Have they only been rumors, is Super Mario 128, Super Mario Galaxy?

Miyamoto: Super Mario 128 is only one of many experiments we had. Suddenly everybody talked about it. I have the easy habit of starting a project to later not do much of it. There is a lot unfinished work on my desk. I worked on a prototype for a N64 game with Mario and Luigi in it back and forth for a time.

Q: What's your role in Super Mario Galaxy?

Miyamoto: I oversee almost all Wii games that we develop, but I focus my time extra with SMG and Zelda Twilight Princess.

Q: Nintendo's goal with Wii is to change the videogame industry. How do you think it will look in 5 years?

Miyamoto: I think games are too complicated today. With the 3D games, the gamers had to manage a camera, and still perform more complicated maneuvers than earlier. We want to get off that with Wii. Everybody should be able to play. The interaction will be direct thanks to the motion sensitive game controller. You get in touch with what happens on the screen in a whole new way.

Q: Mario 64 was in a way the introduction to the 3D era, and you said that you wanted to give Mario as many moves as possible. It seems that you have changed your mind now.

Miyamoto: It's true that I wanted to give Mario as many moves as possible, and that I also wanted implement a few thing just for the sake of it, not that it would be necessary to complete a task. I also made sure that it wasn't necessary to use more than a few buttons to complete the game, except for the camera.

Q: It's easy to see how the adjustment to simplicity works for Super Mario Galaxy, Wii sports and Wario Ware, but you originally created Legend of Zelda as an antithesis to Super Mario, and that's been the story through-out the years. Does Zelda really fit in your new philosophy?

Miyamoto: What we have observed with the DS is that many start with the simple games, and then they advance to Mario 64 and more advanced games. By the end they have also found Zelda.

Q: When you look back at your time at Nintendo, is there something special that you remember the most?

Miyamoto: I get very nostalgic when I look back at all the games I have been involved in. Some periods has been extremely tough, but since Nintendo is a company that always want to renew the game industry, I have always loved this job, and still do.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Thanks for the interview, SC. I wish the guys would have grilled him a bit more, namely about the future of the Mario series.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
bmf said:
WTF is vegetable steak?

Probably a meaty vegetable, like an eggplant, that's cooked and served sorta like a steak. My best guess.

Nothing new, really, and some bad translating, but cool and thanks nonetheless.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Wow, i never knew there was a SNES 3D mario game planned, or a sequel to Mario 64 planned (unless that turned out to be super mario sunshine)

Miyamoto: I have the easy habit of starting a project to later not do much of it. There is a lot unfinished on my desk.
I was reminded of Leonardo da Vinci the moment I read this. He too had a lot of unfinished work, some of which were very fascinating.

pitt_norton

SantaCruZer said:
LEVEL is mostly people consisting of the crew from the old Superplay and has credible game journalists.

I take it since it is German that this Superplay you speak of is not the great UK Super Play SNES mag of the 90's... sorry I just had to confirm the obvious ... for myself :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kangu said:
What's the last game miyamoto directed? Pikmin? He should get back to making great games.

Technically, it was Mario 64. Though, he did have MASSIVE input for Ocarina of Time, that he's considered producer/director from what I've read. But that's supposed to be the last game, pre-Zelda: TP that he's supposed to have really delved into.

Edit: Pikmin too, probably.

Kangu

Banned
Oblivion said:
Technically, it was Mario 64. Though, he did have MASSIVE input for Ocarina of Time, that he's considered producer/director from what I've read. But that's supposed to be the last game, pre-Zelda: TP that he's supposed to have really delved into.

o rly? well i'm all for him making a bunch of average games into above average games like he does but i'd rather he make outstanding games himself.

SantaC

pitt_norton said:
I take it since it is German that this Superplay you speak of is not the great UK Super Play SNES mag of the 90's... sorry I just had to confirm the obvious ... for myself :(

swedish superplay.

WTF is vegetable steak?

I don't know the english word for it, so I just changed it to steak. :lol

AniHawk

Kangu said:
o rly? well i'm all for him making a bunch of average games into above average games like he does but i'd rather he make outstanding games himself.

After OoT, he handed control of the series to Aonuma. Takashi Tezuka controls Super Mario these days. I think there was a time at the beginning of the GC lifespan when he stated he'd be overseeing something like 30 games. Pikmin was his idea, but I don't think he actually directed it. Lately, he's gone from 30 games to around 5-7.

It was his idea to make MP a FPS. :(

It wasn't his idea to go with cel-shading on Zelda though. He just took the initial blame for it, and a little while later admitted he didn't like the idea when it was first pitched.

loosus

Banned
Miyamoto has been hit-and-miss since day one, although he can't take as much blame nowadays.

To me, making Metroid Prime a first-person game wasn't a mistake in and of itself. What was a mistake was making the game boring as shit and then treading along a path of genericness with the sequels, and Corruption appears to continue down that same road.

I also think that he shouldn't be touching the business side of Nintendo. I don't care what anyone says: Pacman Vs. wouldn't have been a key title back a few years at E3 if Miyamoto didn't have so much unnecessary pull.

And finally, I agree to some extent that games need to be simpler in terms of buttons (it's too difficult to go from one game to another and remember what the buttons do for each game), but Miyamoto needs an outspoken counterpart at Nintendo that's saying the exact opposite: that games need to be deeper, can use however many buttons are necessary, that games can have huge budgets, that violence in games is fine, etc. I mean, Nintendo is making Zelda, but that's still a bit simple. There needs to be someone (who oversees a team, separate from normal EAD and other traditional Nintendo groups) that wants to create something like Oblivion.

Q: It's easy to see how the adjustment to simplicity works for Super Mario Galaxy, Wii sports and Wario Ware, but you originally created Legend of Zelda as an antithesis to Super Mario, and that's been the story through-out the years. Does Zelda really fit in your new philosophy?

Miyamoto: What we have observed with the DS is that many start with the simple games, and then they advance to Mario 64 and more advanced games. By the end they have also found Zelda.

Can all the haters PLEASE shut up now?

AniHawk said:
It was his idea to make MP a FPS. :(
I know you ultimately despised Metroid Prime so I won't discuss its merits as a Metroid game. But you need to know that what Miyamoto decided was the best (and probably only) viable course of action: after overseeing all existing Retro Studios' projects at the time, Miyamoto quickly realized they all were a joke (and promptly canned them), and that the only thing Retro's employees were good at was at developing FPS. The 3rd person Metroid playable build that Retro had developed sucked a fat one so Miyamoto decided to change it to a FPS in order to put their only talents at work in the one game that had the biggest expectations.

loosus said:
Miyamoto has been hit-and-miss since day one, although he can't take as much blame nowadays.

To me, making Metroid Prime a first-person game wasn't a mistake in and of itself. What was a mistake was making the game boring as shit and then treading along a path of genericness with the sequels, and Corruption appears to continue down that same road.

Miyamoto did not have any sort of directorial role in the first Metroid Prime. He simply oversaw the production from afar, checking in every now and then. The change first-person as well as the other changes he made such as the scan visor apparently all came from one huge blowup he had where he told Retro that everything they had made to that point sucked and that this is was how it was going to be. His role in the sequel was even more subdued to the point where is barely if even affiliated in it. It certainly could've used his help.

And WTF, Corruption at least looks to shake off the stagnation that plagued Echoes. New mechanics, a genuine story, varied locales.

loosus said:
And finally, I agree to some extent that games need to be simpler in terms of buttons (it's too difficult to go from one game to another and remember what the buttons do for each game), but Miyamoto needs an outspoken counterpart at Nintendo that's saying the exact opposite: that games need to be deeper, can use however many buttons are necessary, that games can have huge budgets, that violence in games is fine, etc. I mean, Nintendo is making Zelda, but that's still a bit simple. There needs to be someone (who oversees a team, separate from normal EAD and other traditional Nintendo groups) that wants to create something like Oblivion.

While I don't necessarily agree with this specifically, I do agree that Nintendo needs a fresh new developer to rise out of its ranks. Miyamoto isn't going to be around forever, and after him all they've got is roleplayers and guys who feed off him. Like Kobe and the Lakers. Yes, Nintendo is like Kobe and the Lakers after Shaq left. Gunpei Yokoi was Shaq. Nintendo needs another great developer to have that one-two punch again like in the NES days when you were all like "Donkey Kong, Mario, Metroid, Kid Icarus, OMFG WHAT WILL I PLAY?!?!".

PkunkFury

loosus said:
There needs to be someone (who oversees a team, separate from normal EAD and other traditional Nintendo groups) that wants to create something like Oblivion.

I'd really like to pick apart your Miyamoto is overrated and Metroid Prime sucks all-rolled-up-into-one post (how those go together is beyond me...) but let me just ask why Nintendo "needs" to be developing the same type of games other developers are creating? If you want to play Oblivion, buy Oblivion, or buy one of the many similar games on the way from competent Western developers. Zelda is nothing like Oblivion, and should NEVER aspire to be Oblivion. You can play titles from more than one company, why not let each company focus on what they do best?

This line of thought continues to your comments about Metroid Prime. As much as you folks hate hearing us call the game a First Person Adventure, it is not played the same as other shooters. Many of us enjoyed Metroid Prime, and want seamless first person games with a focus on exploration over shooting. Those complaining that the backtracking and respawning enemies make Prime boring are missing the point. Retro doesn't need to change how they are developing Metroid, you need to play one of the millions of other games already available that are giving you what you ask for. The more companies turn projects into cookie-cutter copies of what is popular at the time, the more stagnant the industry becomes. If Rockstar made GTA as an FPS to fit gaming trends, it wouldn't have seen nearly the same amount of success. Do they need a guy like Miyamoto around to contradict their violent, realistic, gritty game making style in order to be good developers? Or is it only Nintnedo that you feel must cover every base?

The industry is growing right now because Nintendo is doing their own thing, not because they are developing Oblivion featuring Link.

Nebur

Don't know if its all so i put it here, first images of Miyamoto taking a look at the Xbox E3 Stands..

What was he loocking for? ;)

Maybe Wii60 :lol

28gq1.jpg

45rt1.jpg

19bw3.jpg

Source: Overpal

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Nebur said:
Don't know if its all so i put it here, first images of Miyamoto taking a look at the Xbox E3 Stands..

What was he loocking for? ;)

Maybe Wii60 :lol

28gq1.jpg

45rt1.jpg

19bw3.jpg

Source: Overpal

Miyamoto is 12 years old in his head, don't forget that! He was probably looking at how Too Human was coming along. A game in development scince what? 1997? C'mon SK where is RavenBlade?

goomba

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Miyamoto is 12 years old in his head, don't forget that! He was probably looking at how Too Human was coming along. A game in development scince what? 1997? C'mon SK where is RavenBlade?

You need to ask Retro Studios about RavenBlade , not SK.

Tiktaalik

BrodiemanTTR said:
...Nintendo needs a fresh new developer to rise out of its ranks. Miyamoto isn't going to be around forever, and after him all they've got is roleplayers and guys who feed off him. Like Kobe and the Lakers. Yes, Nintendo is like Kobe and the Lakers after Shaq left. Gunpei Yokoi was Shaq. Nintendo needs another great developer to have that one-two punch again like in the NES days when you were all like "Donkey Kong, Mario, Metroid, Kid Icarus, OMFG WHAT WILL I PLAY?!?!".

That's a really good analogy. I always get the feeling that Miyamoto's influence on Nintendo is too large. I recall an interview with Aonuma where he mentioned that younger developers at Nintendo were large fans of more mature games and I think he may have mentioned Devil May Cry 3. It would be nice when Miyamoto leaves if Nintendo allows various producers to branch out from under Miyamoto's shadow and to do different types of projects. Not necessarily mature stuff, but different stuff. I suppose Animal Crossing and Wario Ware have been new franchises with no Miyamoto influence, but we need more of those.

i dont think miyamoto is as young acting as yall think. he only does it for public appearances probably. hes probably just as a serious business guy regularly

unifin

UltimaKilo said:
Whoa, you are right. My mistake! But RavenBlade did look incredibly generic and poorly executed. Remember that dragon scene?

Fixed. Why do people remember Raven Blade as some fantastic concept that was never realized? From what I remember, it looked like your typical dungeons-and-dragons fare with broken control.

chadums90

Miyamoto...dead to you? BLASPHEMY!

I do agree on him being more heavily invovled in fewer projects, though. I'll take 2 SM64/OoT quality games every five years from him rather than his GC output (input).

I think you guys are overrating Miyamoto here. Nintendo would be able to carry on just fine without him. I mean, how much influence does a director of 20+ projects at a time really have on any individual game?

loosus

Banned
PkunkFury said:
I'd really like to pick apart your Miyamoto is overrated and Metroid Prime sucks all-rolled-up-into-one post (how those go together is beyond me...) but let me just ask why Nintendo "needs" to be developing the same type of games other developers are creating?
Same types of games? Oblivion is just an example. A lot of Nintendo's "games," though, just aren't fun anymore because they're so ****ing dumbed down. I guess that makes it more accessible or something, but it sucks. I mean, it's cool if Nintendo wants to be left behind again, but it'd be nice if they kept up with the times for once.

Zelda is probably going to be fun because it's NOT dumbed down.

PkunkFury

loosus said:
Same types of games? Oblivion is just an example. A lot of Nintendo's "games," though, just aren't fun anymore because they're so ****ing dumbed down. I guess that makes it more accessible or something, but it sucks. I mean, it's cool if Nintendo wants to be left behind again, but it'd be nice if they kept up with the times for once.

Zelda is probably going to be fun because it's NOT dumbed down.

The problem with your statement is that currently Nintendo is not being left behind. They are in fact doing better than they've done in years, and they owe the simpler games strategy in part. You're idea of keeping up with the times seems to be making games in the vein of certain other studios, games with more violence, more buttons, bigger budgets. However, nothing says that is how games have to be. You want Nintendo to make certain types of games that are already being offered elsewhere. Let Nintendo make their own games, the stuff they are making fills a void most other companies won't touch and a lot of people enjoy them. If you want violent big budget games, you have a bargain bin full to chose from.

Also, I don't see how their games are dumbed down. They're making the Wii sports stuff, but they're also making Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Frie Emblem, Advance Wars, etc. Mario looks more complicated than ever. If you're playing alone you have to do all the standard jumping stuff and use the pointer. Maybe you should wait until the games are released before complaining about how dumbed down they are.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
typhonsentra said:
I think you guys are overrating Miyamoto here. Nintendo would be able to carry on just fine without him. I mean, how much influence does a director of 20+ projects at a time really have on any individual game?

Quite an influence if he said just the right thing at the right time about each title.

I realize that if anyone gets as "big" in percieved clout as Miyamoto, that lots of people are going to want to downplay him and say "eh, that shmuck don't mean much". However, the man does have a huge amount of respect from other producers and designers in the industry for a reason. He's geniunely talented with a geniunely special insight. Not to say that other people are not; but they're not a dime a dozen either.

Having said that, I would hardly say he's perfect. I still think his grasp on "games are too complex" may not be /quite/ right, and that it also, it may betray some flaws in the assertion that despite Nintendo's best efforts, they haven't gotten the Wii all that "simple" from a lot of perspectives. The biggest point Miyamoto has, probably, is that for non-gamers/clueless people, pointing a remote control device at a screen and interacting with what you point at, is probably a lot less confusing and intimidating than figuring out a visually indirect control device. But the execution of that in some of the big initial titles, like Mario Galaxy, suggests that Miyamoto and Nintendo themselves don't have a stunning "ZOMG!" flash of game design vision that will change the world in an instant.

Ironically, I personally think the Wii still has vast potential despite this, but because it's something truly different rather than because it's really all that less intimidating to Joe and Jane Average.

The DS, ironically, still seems to be the best realization of making games less threatening to outsiders.

loosus

Banned
PkunkFury said:
You're idea of keeping up with the times seems to be making games in the vein of certain other studios, games with more violence, more buttons, bigger budgets.
I didn't say that, which is why I'm not going to reply to you, anymore.

PkunkFury

loosus said:
I didn't say that, which is why I'm not going to reply to you, anymore.

loosus said:
but Miyamoto needs an outspoken counterpart at Nintendo that's saying the exact opposite: that games need to be deeper, can use however many buttons are necessary, that games can have huge budgets, that violence in games is fine, etc. I

perhaps you didn't mean to sound like a troll, but with the Miyamoto hit or miss and Metroid Prime sucks stuff at the beginning it reallly made the last paragraph sound like you wanted Nintendo to make entirely different types of games, games like oblivion, or FPS that aren't as "boring" as Prime

Now I'm not sure what you were getting at, but I fail to see how Nintendo's new strategy is dumbing down any of their flagpole titles or killing the company. If anything, the problem they had during the Gamecube era was that they tried to pump out too many titles in too short a time, with key staff such as Miyamoto splitting attention instead of focusing on one game. If you were trying to say Nintendo needs to have more key developers that get press attention, aside from just Miyamoto, I agree. In fact, I barely follow Miyamoto, and am much more interested in Aonuma and Eguchi's work. But both of your posts indicated that you want someone at Nintendo who wants to make different content, to get with the times. If you didn't mean bigger budgets, more violence, cut scenes, voice acting, more buttons, etc. than what is it that has you so upset about Nintendo?

Miyamoto-san is truely one of if not THE greatest video game desingers off all time. This is the man who came up with Mario and Donky Kong after all. To say that he's not all that is to totally and completely ignore the foundation upon which modren video games was built on!

Rocked

Miyamoto: It because I don't have time, but I still have an influence what kind of music that is selected. I have benefit to work with Nintendo's best composers. I often bring discs that I play for them, so they understand what genre I am looking for and what feelings I want to supply with the music. For me, the genre, the feeling and the pace are more important than melodies. I also have my point of view on the sound effects

Ah! Now we see why Nintendo's music from the GameCube onwards has become less catchy than it used to be and we have so many generic carnival type tunes. Does Miyamoto really need to be involved in EVERYTHING?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Zaxxon said:
That's a really good analogy. I always get the feeling that Miyamoto's influence on Nintendo is too large. I recall an interview with Aonuma where he mentioned that younger developers at Nintendo were large fans of more mature games and I think he may have mentioned Devil May Cry 3. It would be nice when Miyamoto leaves if Nintendo allows various producers to branch out from under Miyamoto's shadow and to do different types of projects. Not necessarily mature stuff, but different stuff. I suppose Animal Crossing and Wario Ware have been new franchises with no Miyamoto influence, but we need more of those.
Concerning Animal Crossing, that's not correct. He didn't have any influence on Wario Ware though.

Rocked

Yoshi said:
He didn't have any influence on Wario Ware though.

And it shows IMO. The art direction, style, sound effects etc... are all very different to most Nintendo games.

Miyamoto is definitely too power hungry these days.

Top Bottom