• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Muse album - The 2nd Law - Trailer inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly

Banned
Fuck that brostep part, what the hell.

The first part with strings sounds great and it all gets ruined at the end.

Clegg

If it's anything like The Resistance then count me out.

That record was garbage apart from MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection.

I'm still a fan and I hope for a return to form.

Dilly

Banned
It's like they made the Mass Effect franchise into a song.

A lot of promise and it fully goes tits up at the ending.

123rl

Fuck this shit. Muse are dead to me after the last album and this just confirms it. What happened to them? Their first four albums cemented them as one of the best rock bands in the world

Fuck this shit. Muse are dead to me after the last album and this just confirms it. What happened to them? Their first four albums cemented them as one of the best rock bands in the world

First two albums and a bit of the third one, is what I think you mean.

I thought both Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations had some absolutely stellar songs but The Resistance was mostly schlock. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't listen to this trailer, that's going to bother me the rest of the day...

Okay fuck it I'm going to wander outside with my phone and play it.

I thought both Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations had some absolutely stellar songs but The Resistance was mostly schlock. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't listen to this trailer, that's going to bother me the rest of the day...

Okay fuck it I'm going to wander outside with my phone and play it.

I played it at my desk :p

I can't imagine its going to be an album full of dubstep or something, I'm not against them employing that sound - to me, those kind of interludes are an electronic equivalent of the Rage Against the Machine style mosh riffs they used to employ - it's another thing for Muse to have in the musical pallette, and I can imagine they might be quite effective with it live, which is where Muse are best.

For me, the Resistance is shlocky in the sense that there are a few poppy songs on there and its a bit like a cheesy concept album of sorts, but I still enjoyed it -- I really enjoyed the Queen sounding songs, you can tell they had fun making it and I had fun listening to it... I also enjoyed the melodies in songs like I Belong To You, and the three part Exogenesis. It's not a classic, but I don't think it was ever intended to be... for me, nobody makes music that sounds quite like Muse, nobody makes songs as endearingly big and silly as they do, and few bands are as good in the live arena. I'm ready for more!

123rl

Black Holes & Revelations has some good songs but the whole album flows well. I can listen to it from beginning to end and enjoy the whole thing.

I played it at my desk :p

I can't imagine its going to be an album full of dubstep or something, I'm not against them employing that sound - to me, those kind of interludes are an electronic equivalent of the Rage Against the Machine style mosh riffs they used to employ - it's another thing for Muse to have in the musical pallette, and I can imagine they might be quite effective with it live, which is where Muse are best.

For me, the Resistance is shlocky in the sense that there are a few poppy songs on there and its a bit like a cheesy concept album of sorts, but I still enjoyed it -- I really enjoyed the Queen sounding songs, you can tell they had fun making it and I had fun listening to it... I also enjoyed the melodies in songs like I Belong To You, and the three part Exogenesis. It's not a classic, but I don't think it was ever intended to be... for me, nobody makes music that sounds quite like Muse, nobody makes songs as endearingly big and silly as they do, and few bands are as good in the live arena. I'm ready for more!

I agree with the dubstep comment, it's obviously not something they'll use all the time but it'll get thrown in here and there for effect. More importantly they've always screwed around with musical techniques that are impactful in the same way that dubstep is in their live performances.

Resistance bothers me because the majority of the songs on it lack the energy they used to have and, far more importantly, the writing is sub-par and tacky. It feels like the songs are all about being together with someone and fighting some unsubstantiated threat. Okay? I guess that's...inspiring? Or something?

I guess that's always been a part of their writing (get up, go do something and change the world in some way or I guess not if you don't want to so long as you don't let it get you down) but the laziness felt significantly more pronounced in Resistance.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if there is more than two minutes of dubstep in the album.

Prepare to quote me on that in September and laugh :lol

At least it sounds more aggressive than the Resistance!

Oh look, it's muse. The alternative band for people too lazy to look for actually good music.

Also: This.

I like Muse. Whether it's 'alternative' or not doesn't factor into it; I like the sound of their music. A crazy concept, I know.

I thought that trailer was horrible though.

CrankyJay

Banned
Holy shit at the dubstep, lol...

I'm kind of a fan of dubstep....but not sure if I like with Muse...fucking dubstep. So trendy.

edit: Not sure if they're trolling the fuck out of us.

123rl

I want this Muse to be back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fr4LEPnu50

I just don't think they're capable, or even want to, write this kind of music any more. They can obviously still do it live so it isn't about that. I saw them again in 2010 and they were stunning. The old era songs just had more energy and enthusiasm to them than any songs they played from The Resistance

CloudWolf

Well, after this trailer my expectations are so low that the album itself can almost only turn out better than expected. That's good right?

123rl

Good dubstep?

Seems relevant:

intervention.png

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Dubstep bit is shit, but I've actually been following this album closely and the strings part is actually a separate song called Supremacy - they've mixed two songs in the trailer. The dubstep bullshit is Unsustainable. (This coming from a list of songs written on a whiteboard Muse accidentally tweeted ages ago)

I'm willing to believe there's only gonna be one brostep song on this album, and I'm going to reserve judgement on the full album, but I can comment on what I have heard, and the first bit was good, second bit was not.

holy fuck. no fuckin way.

my expectations were at rock bottom and they just took a huge dump on em. screw fuck you Bellamy.

blackflag

So much music elitism here lol.

I love Muse, didn't think their last album was great though. I'll definitely give this a chance. The strings were awesome. That end part....not so much. Not sure what dubstep is, I've heard the term lately, but if that is it, I'll pass. Unless that was just a shit example.

Jezbollah

Meh. It's Muse. Will buy and enjoy. And will try and make the tour this time around.

Still better than a hell of a lot of music around these days.

I like Muse. Whether it's 'alternative' or not doesn't factor into it; I like the sound of their music. A crazy concept, I know.

I thought that trailer was horrible though.

If all you ate was awful you'd think it tastes great because you wouldn't know any better. Alas, the Muse fan was born.

Dubstep bit is shit, but I've actually been following this album closely and the strings part is actually a separate song called Supremacy - they've mixed two songs in the trailer. The dubstep bullshit is Unsustainable. (This coming from a list of songs written on a whiteboard Muse accidentally tweeted ages ago)

I'm willing to believe there's only gonna be one brostep song on this album, and I'm going to reserve judgement on the full album, but I can comment on what I have heard, and the first bit was good, second bit was not.

Looking forward to Supremacy, then. I love me some good strings.

It's a shame that their sideways step this album is into dubstep, because their previous diversions (Map of the Problematique, Knights of Cydonia, Undisclosed Desires, Exogenesis Symphony) were the best bits of their albums. Unsustainable fills me with zero confidence.

If all you ate was awful you'd think it tastes great because you wouldn't know any better. Alas, the Muse fan was born.

Well, I thought I enjoyed their music, but I guess I must have been mistaken.

It's a shame that their sideways step this album is into dubstep, because their previous diversions (Map of the Problematique, Knights of Cydonia, Undisclosed Desires, Exogenesis Symphony) were the best bits of their albums. Unsustainable fills me with zero confidence.

Blargh, I can't stand Undisclosed Desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom