• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new nintendo 2ds xl comes out july 28 $149

mindsale

It's mind-boggling to me how much better than the 3DS the Vita looked in 2011 when they launched and how that's been dead for years and the 3DS line is still selling.

Not that graphics make a game, but how this ancient tech still moves units.

The only thing that's weird about this announcement (since it's on the level of like the gameboy Micro in a way.) is the timing of this announcement. Only about 2 months after the Switch does look...odd.
wait...what?! why? no one asked for this.

I didn't ask for the Switch to be some weird junction of both handheld and console either.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It seems a bit pricey for a 2DS. And in Canada it's $200 vs $240 for the New 3DS XL.

StereoVsn

Huh, I am going to get this for my daughter. She is only 5 and doesn't need the Switch. I'll see if I can trade in her 3DS XL for it. Especially if we get a good range of colors.

TheFlow

Banned
Imagine a kid that got this and he's playing Mario Kart 7 on the bus and the kid next to him has a Switch and is playing Mario Kart 8. I would be so pissed.

why? switch cost twice as much and is less portable than a 3ds. plus I am sure the 2ds has a better battery life.

can you imagine being a kid and losing the portable part of the switch or getting it stolen? heartbreak soup

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Some one said they wouldn't drop the 3ds in favor of the Switch until the 3ds hit sub 200 dollars.

I argued they already can and use the 2ds for sub 200...lol.

Now this.

It's now literally a 3ds, with no 3d.

I think they are all on board for Switch now.

I didn't expect this to pop up on my subscription feed, but I like the design of it compared to the ugly original 2DS.

This is pretty much the phase where Nintendo sells out the cheapest models possible at the near-end of the line like the Game Boy Micro, DSi XL, and Wii Mini(?).

Tagyhag

Very surprising news but it looks really nice.

And the price isn't too bad either, would be a great gift for people.

But you have to play the worst Mario Kart. That's not a life worth living.

I give zero fucks about Mario Kart compared to other franchises like Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Fire Emblem. I like it, but it's not a dealbreaker to me.

Now, if we were talking about Pokémon Stars on Switch vs New 2DS XL you would be right.

JCX

It looks great but why? I guess the same sentiment I had towards Game Boy Micro back in the day. Seems like a thing for collectors.

emb

Man that name sure does make me mad.

Really though, looks pretty nice. I'll try to pick one up, to round out the collection.

SenkiDala

I've never been able to see 3D, so I'll probably sell my N3DS XL for this, then I'll have 2 more years of warranty. Didn't buy the OG 2DS because screens were too small and I like to be able to close my DS/3DS.

Some one said they wouldn't drop the 3ds in favor of the Switch until the 3ds hit sub 200 dollars.

I argued they already can and use the 2ds for sub 200...lol.

Now this.

It's now literally a 3ds, with no 3d.

I think they are all on board for Switch now.
Yeah how someone can't see it is beyond me. This will be the default 3DS. You won't be seeing 3DSs in stock from here on out.

Really random how this came pretty much out of nowhere. That said it is a really nice looking system (especially in white) and those screens look like a massive improvement over the current 2DS.

mario_O

Why?

if they want the 3ds to stay alive they should release more first party (AAA) games for it. bring a new mario 3d, a new zelda, a metroid etc..not this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is soo stupid and why does it cost 149 in 2017 WTF??

Sell it for $100 maybe 120 max. and sell the original 2ds for 69.99 or something equivalent.

You do realize they're selling and giving Nintendo a profit at the current price, right?

Thinking the original 2DS should be $69.99 is hilarious.

$150USD? That's at least $200AUD straight conversion and no doubt it will end up being a little more.

New 3DS XL is $230AUD here, so then why would anybody bother with it.

Why?

if they want the 3ds to stay alive they should release more first party (AAA) games for it. bring a new mario 3d, a new zelda, a metroid etc..not this.

That 2D Pikmin is still coming I guess...

I give zero fucks about Mario Kart compared to other franchises like Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Fire Emblem. I like it, but it's not a dealbreaker to me.

Now, if we were talking about Pokémon Stars on Switch vs New 2DS XL you would be right.
It's already gonna happen so I'm gonna tell my future self that I am right.

As seemingly the only person who doesn't own a DS, what are the best games to get for it? Will probably pick this up.
Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of the best for sure
Smash Bros.
Pokemon SM
Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Any of the Fire Emblem games, Echoes comes soon.

Love the design.

However, like many are saying, price point is ridiculous. $150 for a near end of life system is absurd.

It's funny too because the 2DS is 80 bucks now or something? You are paying near double the price for the claimshell and a NFC reader.

EDIT: Oh wait it has the new DS CPU in it too right?

why? switch cost twice as much and is less portable than a 3ds. plus I am sure the 2ds has a better battery life.

can you imagine being a kid and losing the portable part of the switch or getting it stolen? heartbreak soup
Can you imagine losing a 2DS? Your Switch friends will take pity on you and lend you a joy con.

Magwik

Banned
I don't understand the point...
I guess this is the GBA micro of the 3DS.

End of life hardware refreshes are fairly common
Super_Slim_PS3_35454664_35454666_35454667_35454668_04.jpg

XBOX_360_35791989_35791991_35789091_35791992_08.jpg

wii-mini-131105_w_600.jpg

800px-PS2-Slim-Console-Set.jpg

9047840-2.jpg

psp-go-003.jpg

playstation-vita-tv-329413.6.jpg

trixx

Very surprising news but it looks really nice.

And the price isn't too bad either, would be a great gift for people.

No way, the price is quite bad. I mean I bought my 3ds xl almost 4 years ago for 150 Canadian. This should be 120 imo, ideally even $99 and drop the price of the 2ds. I also got a 2ds refurbished for $70 Canadian last year before moon.

Leynos

Huh. This came out of the blue. I do find it odd that Nintendo removed the 2DS's best feature: the slab design. I bought my daughter a 2DS over a New 3DS as the hinge is a liability.

Top Bottom