• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new nintendo 2ds xl comes out july 28 $149

Hahahaha wait. I love how this is just randomly fucking announced.

Also, I wish this was the original design for the 2ds. I love mine, but its too damn big.

ggx2ac

It's funny too because the 2DS is 80 bucks now or something? You are paying near double the price for the claimshell and a NFC reader.

Stereo speakers + NFC + Clamshell + Better SoC + Extra Buttons + C-stick

And it can play the only two exclusive N3DS games: Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Note: 2DS had a mono speaker.

And faster processor.

I edited my post I totally forgot about that in the new3DS lol.
Yes it does have the improved CPU. It's basically a new 3ds xl minus the 3d

Yeah it slipped my mind there.

Stereo speakers + NFC + Clamshell + Plus Better SoC + Extra Buttons + C-stick

And it can play the only two exclusive N3DS games: Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Note: 2DS had a mono speaker.

Oh right the extra buttons. The 2DS was mono sound? Jeez.

On second thought if you don't care about the 3D this seems kinda like a deal?

Xenoflare

So uh... it has the C stick and ZL/ZR, so I presume this is closer to a the "New XL" rather than the 2DS in terms of power?

I did not expect this at all.

But I want it so much. I don't know why. I already have a 3DS and everything! But it looks so good!

Argh why can't the 3DS family allow multiple handhelds to use the same account so that I can play my games and stuff on both my FE Fates New 3DS XL and this new beauty?

psyfi

Banned
I'm laughing my ass off. Fucking Nintendo man. I'm not even saying this is a bad decision, but it's SUCH a Nintendo decision.

Orayn

Easily the most aesthetically appealing design of the whole 2DS/3DS family, wow.

I bet the screen panels wind up being the best of any version somehow.

SenkiDala

Oh, guys, is there already a EU price? If it's over 149€ (which is already pricey) it's a no no, even with selling my N3DSXL.

I might be the only one to be really enthousiast about that fact but, thanks Nintendo to think about people like me who can't see 3D but who doesn't like tiny screens. Oh I know they do that for money rather than stereoblind people, of course, but still it's cool. :D

HalfJoey

Neo Member
If they had released this 1 or 2 years ago I would have been all over it. But now I own a Switch and can't justify owning two portable systems at once. The DS library is tempting but I would rather they start remastering or porting over some DS games to the Switch.

I understand this is more for people who cant afford the Switch or people who are still interested in the large DS library. It just feels somewhat too late.

If anything this should have been the hardware revamp from 3 years ago instead of the 2DS/new 3DS.

I was shocked when I read the headline. I was thinking to myself "Why the hell are they releasing a new model of the 2DS now?", but then I watched the trailer and god damn that looks sleek as fuck.

I kinda want one.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmm, I was tempted several times in getting a N3DS XL but couldn't pull the trigger. This is far more enticing as I never like the 3D feature of the system. Probably won't get it, but if I were to this would be it.

18-Volt

NA website confirmed, only black color is coming to NA. Which is really stupid, the only reason NoA give for only black color option will be "we don't want to confuse our customers".

I dunno... I've always found the N3DS XL fairly uncomfortable to hold for long gaming sessions, so if they can deliver on being more ergonomic (maybe even lighter?), I'm game. I'm one of those weirdos that actually uses the 3D, but I'd be willing to give it up for something more comfortable.

FWIW, press material is saying that the screen is 82% larger than the 2DS screen. Wouldn't that make the screen somewhat smaller than the one in the N3DS XL?

new-nintendo-2ds-xl.png

Holy shiiiitttttt

wvan13

To me it seems par for the course. Nintendo usually releases a cheap, pared-down version of their product before it dies off. At least, they did with the Wii. This has the C-stick and extra buttons, but lack of 3D keeps the price down.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If this isn't impossible to find, I may pick it up. Never had a 3DS but I saw how hard it was to find 2DS last holiday when I was working retail.

Too little too late. I would be all over this 2 years ago. I've been saying that 3D is one of the most useless gimmick ever and look like Nintendo just finally get it.

Steiner

Banned
HOW does Nintendo do this? How?

Every single time with Nintendo the roller coaster goes like:
"WTF even is this Nintendo and why?"
"Huh, that looks pretty slick."
"Oh man, it's got some neat upgrades."
"Okay that trailer was awesome, I might need this..."
"Pre-orders when?"

Like... I already have two 3DSes and a Switch. Why would I possibly want or need this?

rekameohs

Banned
Why even call it XL when there's no "New 2DS"? Just gotta extend that "Nintendo DS" product line naming to its logical conclusion, I guess.

exfatal

daaamn that white and yellow one looks pretty sleek, guessing nintendo learned from the success of the sexy sleek switch.

BriGuy

It's basically the same thing as the new 3DSXL since most of the high profile games don't bother with 3D anymore. I would have gotten this instead if it released a year back. I primarily use my n3DS as a portable Super Nintendo.

Top Bottom