• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 2DS XL - Hardware Review Thread

takoyaki

nintendo-2ds-xl-prese3ssei.jpg

Reviews for Nintendo's latest addition to the 3DS/2DS family have started to show up online, impressions are largely positive so far:

• IGN 8/10

• USGamer "The 3DS Model You Should Own"

• The Verge 7/10

Good Stuff
    • Sleek new design
    • Reasonable price
    • Tons of great games

Bad Stuff
    • No 3D
    • Screens are still bad
    • Archaic data management
  • Nintendo World Report 8.5/10
    Overall, I was quite impressed with the New Nintendo 2DS XL. It is a slimmer model with XL screens that can easily fit in a bag or pocket but still has all the power of the New 3DS line. There are certainly things they could have done better, the stylus and position of the AR Cameras to start. If you want more premium materials and 3D effects, I suggest staying with the New 3DS XL but it's hard to be disappointed with this new version. It is sleek, fun looking and a reminder of the Nintendo 3DS' huge game library.

[*]Destructoid

Keeping in mind that it's $50 (plus the cost of a charger) cheaper than the New 3DS XL, I'd say that many of its drawbacks are an acceptable trade-off if you're upgrading from an older 2DS or 3DS, or if you're picking up a console in its family for the very first time. If you've already got a New 3DS, however, you'll see little reason to upgrade.

[*]Eurogamer

The top screen stacks up nicely against other 3DS products: it's colourful and punchy. But of course, we've since been spoilt by the Switch's six-inch IPS panel, meaning there's a sense of regression going back to the 2DS XL. For one, viewing angles aren't great, there's ghosting on grey-to-grey transitions, and it just lacks the sheer brightness of Switch's display. In fact it looks positively dull if you take it outside, even on max brightness. For perspective, we measured a peak brightness level of 147 nits on the 2DS XL, compared to 368 nits on Switch. It makes a big difference, but as long as you're not out in blazing sunlight, there's still plenty of contrast and punch to the screen in most gaming conditions. Our review unit seems to have a TN panel, but besides restrictive viewing angles, it's still a very strong-looking display. [...]

From our perspective, we'd still opt for the New 3DS XL as the unit of choice - the front-facing speakers are preferable, and from time to time, it's interesting to see how titles use its 3D features. But there's no real deal-breaker for the New 2DS XL. As a way to complement the more expensive Switch, this is a respectable way to enjoy the 3DS' massive library of excellent software.

[*]Digital Foundry Video Review

• T3 4.5/5
    The 2DS XL is what the 3DS line should have always been — there's no gimmicks here, just a combination of great hardware and software

+ Simple but elegant design
    + Incredibly reasonable price
    + Awesome catalogue of games

-The screen struggles to stay in place
    -Ridiculously small stylus
    -C stick isn't a serviceable analogue

[*]Pocket Gamer 9/10

The New Nintendo 2DS XL is the finest 3DS design yet. It's equally as comfortable as the 3DS XL, though several improvements - like the card flap and lip - make it arguably even more so.

Most impressively, it includes all of the hardware enhancements already seen in the other 'New' models but at a fraction of the price. If you wanted to increase your library but not pay a premium, this is an excellent choice for you.

The 2DS XL might be aimed at kids, but I'd argue that it's simply for everyone - and much better than any design that came before it.

[*]Trusted Reviews 4/5

Don't care much for the slightly gimmicky 3D effect of the Nintendo 3DS? Then buy the New Nintendo 2DS XL. Even for its at-times puzzling design choices, it's still a massive step up from the unwieldy Nintendo 2DS and contains all of the other upgrades that have come to the various 3DS systems over the years. The bigger screens by themselves make for a much more enjoyable experience, coupled with a more sensible form factor and typical Nintendo build quality. [...]

The New Nintendo 2DS XL is the best-value Nintendo 3DS system family console to buy for everyone but the most ardent 3D fans.

[*]Techadvisor 4.5/5
    One of the other major design changes is that the game cartridge and microSD card slots are now both tucked under a flap on the front edge, meaning there's no longer a risk of popping your games out by accident. [...]

Despite some initial scepticism about the colour, I'm actually a big fan of the white model I've been using. The glossy orange band around the lid stands out nicely, while the face buttons are just muted enough to not offend the eye.

Finally, it's worth noting the slightly textured stripes across the lid. These aren't just an aesthetic choice - they also make the case much more grippy, so the 2DS XL is ideal for younger gamers with slippy fingers - or the clumsy among us.

new_nintendo_2ds_xl03m0s6w.jpg

new_nintendo_2ds_xl072ysuo.jpg

[*]Techradar 4/5
    +Beautiful design
    +Huge game selection available
    +Terrific price point
    +Comes with a charger

-Battery life is still underwhelming
    -Low-res screen looks ancient compared to the Switch

[*]Kotaku
    There are tradeoffs. Of course there are tradeoffs. The most noticeable (if you're not using headphones) is that the speakers are located on the bottom of the unit and point down and away from you, meaning you'll perceive the sound as being much quieter. Loud in-game noises also cause the unit to vibrate a little bit in your hands.

The stylus is also the worst stylus on any Nintendo DS model. It is a stubby little thing like a golf pencil. You remember how the original 2011 model 3DS had a telescoping stylus? That thing is longer than the 2DS XL stylus when it's closed. When I hold it, it's too short to rest the top of it on my index finger.

Will update the OP with more reviews, please share them in the thread.

If anyone on GAF already bought a 2DS XL, chime in with some impressions of your own!

BY2K

Membero Americo
-The screen struggles to stay in place

during testing the top screen would move around even when propped up which is the only aspect of the design that oozes the same budget feeling of the original 2DS.

What do they mean by that? Move around how?

RalchAC

Unless something unexpected happens (a friend of mine may or may not want to sell me his New 3DS XL), I'm planning to buy one of this things next month.

I want one, but I think I am going to hold out to see if NA gets any other colors for for the holidays. Not really a fan of the black/ teal. Fingers crossed for white/red.

takoyaki

I am thinking of getting one because it seems this is the Gameboy Advanced SP of the 3DS line.

I planed to do the same and was hoping for a brighter screen now that 3D is gone. But it sounds like the screen is no improvement over current 3Ds/2Ds when playing outside:

Eurogamer said:
The top screen stacks up nicely against other 3DS products: it's colourful and punchy. But of course, we've since been spoilt by the Switch's six-inch IPS panel, meaning there's a sense of regression going back to the 2DS XL. For one, viewing angles aren't great, there's ghosting on grey-to-grey transitions, and it just lacks the sheer brightness of Switch's display.

In fact it looks positively dull if you take it outside, even on max brightness. For perspective, we measured a peak brightness level of 147 nits on the 2DS XL, compared to 368 nits on Switch. It makes a big difference, but as long as you're not out in blazing sunlight, there's still plenty of contrast and punch to the screen in most gaming conditions. Our review unit seems to have a TN panel, but besides restrictive viewing angles, it's still a very strong-looking display.

I am getting one of these to play through Xenoblade Chronicles, having never owned one of the New 3DS systems. My preorder at Best Buy is in place. Now to wait.

I love the look of this thing.

I think the weight reduction sounds pretty nice. I'll lose the 3D, sure, but it sounds like I could play something like Kid Icarus or Picross at a stretch without horrible wrist cramps.

It's a shame about the battery life, though. If anything, the system being lighter and (presumably) longer lasting was definitely gonna sell me. I'll just have to settle for lighter.

WillyFive

Being forced to play 3DS games in 2D is a nightmare; you lose so much visual information.

Why can't Nintendo just release the regular N3DS in the US?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I am getting one of these to play through Xenoblade Chronicles, having never owned one of the New 3DS systems. My preorder at Best Buy is in place. Now to wait.

I love the look of this thing.

Unngh... Xenoblade Chronicles does NOT look good without the 3D effect turned on. Sorry. I don't know the technical term of it, but it looks "smeared with vasoline" as the nerds would put it.

The DS series just never sat well with me. Two screens, one fuzzier than the other, both janky to some extent, the touch element requiring a chintzy stylus instead of the iPhone screen style which has been around for a very very long time now.. the poorly implemented 3d which would later just vanish.. So many iterations on the same console and while new 3ds is close, and none of them feel as solid and satisfying to me as a gameboy advance sp.

It could be said that I prefer simpler and focused hardware.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Being forced to play 3DS games in 2D is a nightmare; you lose so much visual information.

I agree. I don't get why they didn't just release more regular N3DS and more Faceplates.

I'm sure it's a wise business decision... but I thought the N3DS was perfect. And I'm certain the N2DS is some how cheaper to build than a N3DS, but it's a bummer because the regular N3DS is the perfect size, great screen, and Faceplates, and colored buttons!

Hesemonni

Banned
Yeah, I have a new 3DS XL, which I would've gladly switched if this one had had improved battery life. The playful design grows on you.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The 3D was the only saving grace of that horrible screen...

I agree, that's what I'm saying about Xenoblade 3DS. It looks awful in 2D.

But y'all gotta remember: We [NeoGAF] probably represent... 25% of the 3DS audience? MAJORITY of 3DS owners are non-enthusiasts who don't give a shit about screen quality and don't notice it. They just want to play their Mario Kart 7 and Pokemon and don't ever care or let things like how the 3DS games look in 2D bother them for a second.

I would agree, I would wager majority of 3DS owners probably don't use that 3D and don't care how the games look on the screen. So this is probably a wise business move by Nintendo. The 3DS/2DS audience of gamers don't care about Faceplates and 3D effect in their games.

Caffeine

I would agree, I would wager majority of 3DS owners probably don't use that 3D and don't care how the games look on the screen.

pretty much everyone i've met with a 3ds probably 100 or more people never use 3d because its lost easy in the small field of view. i think ive only met 2 people with a new 3ds or xl.

everyone else had a og 3ds or 2ds. they just want to play pokemon lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
they just want to play pokemon lol

And Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. Yeah the only "non-gamer" people I know with 3DS just play those games.

Nintendo knows their audience better than we think. Sometimes we [GAF] lose ourselves into thinking we represent the core Nintendo audience.

takoyaki

Did they fix it so you can put the microsd card in without any tools? The worst part of the n3dsxl

looks like the slot is right next to the game card slot.
Techadvisor said:
One of the other major design changes is that the game cartridge and microSD card slots are now both tucked under a flap on the front edge, meaning there's no longer a risk of popping your games out by accident.

new_nintendo_2ds_xl03m0s6w.jpg

edit: yup, great change. Agreed that the placement on n3Ds was a horrible design choice.

Tamanator

I must be living in a nightmare then. I've never really been able to use the 3D on the 3DS. Irritates my eyes no matter what level the slider is on.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The New Nintendo 2DS XL is the finest 3DS design yet. It's equally as comfortable as the 3DS XL, though several improvements - like the card flap and lip - make it arguably even more so.

So it's not comfortable?

Galdelico

I'm pretty sure to be the only one, here, to feel this way, but... The color choice - on top of something about the overall design - makes it look like a Retron kinda knock-off, to my eyes.

nubbe

Unngh... Xenoblade Chronicles does NOT look good without the 3D effect turned on. Sorry. I don't know the technical term of it, but it looks "smeared with vasoline" as the nerds would put it.

XC don't look good with 3D on... Those damn health bars have no 3D depth and looks to be floating above everything

zeromcd73

So according to the DF review, the speakers are now at the bottom and at times sound can be muffled due to the interference from your own palms? That's not great :(

Was thinking of picking up one for Metroid, but will probably not go for it. The screen will probably be unbearable after playing with the Switch. I already found it hard to look at over a year ago when I sold mine. I really like the design and both color choices though.

Noooooooooooooo
DF also had TN panels it seems.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Why is the battery life so middling on the 2/3DS line?

... How long of a battery do you need? Just curious. I've never played my 3DS from 100% to 0% without charging. I guess if I was in a car on a road trip or traveling. But the battery has been such a non-issue for me, I've owned one since release.

They did. It might not be in stock anymore but u can still get it second hand or refurbished easily.

I'm hoping they do a final 3ds revision, as I love the 3D effect. Sucks cuz I like the look of the 2ds but without that feature I won't pick one up.

Top Bottom