• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

MarkusRJR

Wow the QA department must have been really lax. Both me and my friend's have screen bleed in on the bottoms of the touch screen (can't tell during normal game play but it's weird to see) and weird issues with the plastic casing on the XL. Doesn't feel like a Nintendo product.

Loving it otherwise, but it just seems weird to see on a Nintendo handheld.

That back cover was a pain in the ass to get off. I admittedly stripped a screw when I wasn't paying attention. Didn't hear the click. It's not too bad, though. Good thing I wasn't applying much pressure. The popping of the case can go to hell though. You have to pull on it with the stylus like you're pulling a tooth out. I dunno. Maybe I just suck but it felt very archaic and neglected.

MBR

Banned
This might be a real dumb question. The new 3DS supports any size of MicroSD card, right? So if I get a 64 gig card, it will work?
I just looked it up. SDXC (64GB+) doesn't work. Good thing for me, was standing in the store and was like "nah, i'll be good with a 32gb".

Edit, wut, it does work?

mrblonde2099

Neo Member
I just looked it up. SDXC (64GB+) doesn't work. Good thing for me, was standing in the store and was like "nah, i'll be good with a 32gb".

Edit, wut, it does work?

Yes, I've heard people say if you format to FAT32 it will work. You'll need to download third-party software to do this though.

Gabe3208

Banned
Fuck! It's gonna take 3 hours to copy my files from my SD card over to my new microSD, wish there was a better way of doing this.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I keep trying to put the stylus on the side of the system and feel like a complete idiot every time :(

Far from being an idiot because only sane people think to enforce the slot on the side. Nintendo's r&d division were full of crazy ppl building the redesign for this.

The power button placement is terrible, the stylus placement is terrible, the sd slot placement is terrible, the glossy finish is terrible.

The actual tech upgrades are nice, but the functional build design is pretty weak.

I can play 3DS games without headphones again, praise be.

This thing is beautiful, probably my favorite Nintendo portable upgrade yet (not counting full generation leaps, natch).

Needlecrash

Just finished with the system transfer. Took about 20 minutes. What's disappointing is that there is a small scratch on the right side of my system. I'm not too worried about it because it's not on the screen or anything. Annoying but livable.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Edit, wut, it does work?

Oh really? whew, good to know ahead of time.

Yes, I've heard people say if you format to FAT32 it will work. You'll need to download third-party software to do this though.

I've been using a 64gb sdxc card for over two years in my 3dsxl now. As mentioned you just need to format to fat32, which is a quick google solution away. Currently have 40gb full on it having gone digital only since!

Some ppl on this forum have gone as high as 128gb. Those cards work fine

Did a system transfer at gamestop, everything went smoothly, all my downloaded games show up on the Home menu

get home, look at my friends list, hit the home button, and it tells me "could not detect a microSD card. the software on the microsd card could not be displayed."

reboot, everything is back to normal, can see all my games again. Load up a game, hit the home button, same thing happens

this happening to anyone else?

Did a system transfer at gamestop, everything went smoothly, all my downloaded games show up on the Home menu

get home, look at my friends list, hit the home button, and it tells me "could not detect a microSD card. the software on the microsd card could not be displayed."

reboot, everything is back to normal, can see all my games again. Load up a game, hit the home button, same thing happens

this happening to anyone else?
It's happened to me once or twice with my original XL, the card might not be seated 100%, but it should be nothing of major concern.

Dalek

I just went to Toys R Us and the person right in front of me in line, with his girlfriend, picked up the very last 2 3DSs. I was so bummed out. I was told though, that any pre-orders that aren't picked up are put out for sale on Sunday at 11am when they open. The trade in offer also expires that day...

so there's still a chance...

MBR

Banned
I've been using a 64gb sdxc card for over two years in my 3dsxl now. As mentioned you just need to format to fat32, which is a quick google solution away. Currently have 40gb full on it having gone digital only since!

Some ppl on this forum have gone as high as 128gb. Those cards work fine
So a quick format via Windows to fat32 doesn't work, you have to do something special with it? Sorry, don't have a 64+ card so can't test.

Jakoo

The screws are terrible, the same thing happened to one of mine. Putting the microSD slot inside the back panel was a mistake.

I don't even know what to do--I am so damn annoyed. How can I get a stripped screw out without messing with the whole 3DS?

This is a terrible experience for a 'premium' device.

DirtyLarry

That back cover was a pain in the ass to get off. I admittedly stripped a screw when I wasn't paying attention. Didn't hear the click. It's not too bad, though. Good thing I wasn't applying much pressure. The popping of the case can go to hell though. You have to pull on it with the stylus like you're pulling a tooth out. I dunno. Maybe I just suck but it felt very archaic and neglected.
Not just you. I also stripped one of the screws slightly putting it back on and I was taking my sweet time. I heard no click at all, it just stopped moving. My screwdriver did not even though I was moving slow. Just a poor, poor choice.
I guess the only solace I can find is it is not very likely I will be accessing it again.

Head's up to anybody planning to System Transfer via phone hotspot (the lady at my store wouldn't let me on their wifi, ugh); if you are using an iPhone, TURN OFF AUTO LOCK. iPhone's stop broadcasting SSID after a minute of no use when it's locked.

My first transfer failed at the end because of this and I nearly had a heart attack thinking it was going to be a bad situation. Thankfully, the system is smart enough to handle a drop, but I had to start over (thankfully the entire process was about ten minutes, so no biggie).

co1onel

Far from being an idiot because only sane people think to enforce the slot on the side. Nintendo's r&d division were full of crazy ppl building the redesign for this.

The power button placement is terrible, the stylus placement is terrible, the sd slot placement is terrible, the glossy finish is terrible.

The actual tech upgrades are nice, but the functional build design is pretty weak.
Please wont somebody think of the lefties?

DirtyLarry

Ummm, not sure I trust this System Transfer business.
I was just in the settings checking things out, went back Home, and EVERYTHING was gone.
It was not until I accessed the store again and went to Home that it all returned.
Hope that is not a sign of things to come.

Sporad

Neo Member
I just caved. A year ago I sold my original 3DS and got a Vita. Great decision, I hit the Vita back catalogue and loved the thing but now gathering dust.

Now there is enough to tempt me back, Vita sold and N3DS with Zelda ordered, MH to follow as well as Smash. Can't wait.

Jakoo

Does anybody have any tried and true method to removing stripped screws from a device like this? Additionally, is there a way to get nicer screws to plug in off of amazon or something?

Impala26

I just caved. A year ago I sold my original 3DS and got a Vita. Great decision, I hit the Vita back catalogue and loved the thing but now gathering dust.

Now there is enough to tempt me back, Vita sold and N3DS with Zelda ordered, MH to follow as well as Smash. Can't wait.

Pokémon fan at all?
The sixth generation games have been fantastic and are totally accessible to folks who haven't ever played or played in a really long time. That was basically the only reason I got my 3DS XL back in like August 2013 anyway.

I have a 64GB micro card on the way, so I have to format that to FAT32 for it to all be recognized by the N3DS?

I thought that was just for 128GB cards.

I guess that means I have to purchase a card-reader.. if so. What a mess.

Sporad

Neo Member
Pokémon fan at all?
The sixth generation games have been fantastic and are totally accessible to folks who haven't ever played or played in a really long time. That was basically the only reason I got my 3DS XL back in like August 2013 anyway.

I've never played a Pokemon game, shockingly! Tempted to give it a go as well

Wookieomg

You can do either:

1) Cooy the files from the old SD to the new micro SD using a computer, put the micro SD in the SD adapter and put it in the old 3DS. You can then do the system transfer. When it's done all you have to do is take the micro SD out of the old 3DS and put it in the new3DS

2) Do the system transfer first. When the system transfer is done put your SD card into your computer and copy the files. After that copy those files to your micro SD card. When done put it into your new 3DS

Sorry for the late response, just a quick question. Should I remove the microSD card that came preinstalled with the N3DS before I start the transfer process? Or just swap it out with the newly purchased one during the process?

Just got everything transferred. Having to use a screwdriver AND then pull he back cover off was terrible. Glad I will never have to do that again.

Hugstable

Banned
I have a 64GB micro card on the way, so I have to format that to FAT32 for it to all be recognized by the N3DS?

Where/how much did you pay for a 64GB card? I've been going off using a 32GB card for awhile and it finally pretty much filled up today when I downloaded MH4U, so I plan to check for bigger micro cards when I do get a chance to get a N3DS. Any sales going on right soon on micro sd would be awesome.

I was remembering this old thread and how my Chopper purse may actually match my red new3DS better than my old XL.
xtnGq.jpg

Jakoo

Just got everything transferred. Having to use a screwdriver AND then pull he back cover off was terrible. Glad I will never have to do that again.

For your sake I hope not. I think changing the memory card screwed up my ability to connect to the Internet. Now I stripped the screws and cannot even access the back panel. So frustrated.

Wookieomg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YBH4YU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the one I purchased a couple of years ago. Works flawlessly for me. I think it was cheaper when I bought it, so perhaps look for alternatives. But they're very inexpensive. Could probably find one at a local B&M electronics store if you were inclined.

Top Bottom