• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

anddo0

Tried to put my nephews older/larger capacity sd into the system.
You have to unscrew it in order to replace the card!!!

WTF Nintendo?

And to make things worse the screws are hard as hell to get off.

Just remember the screws never actually come off the back faceplate, you hear a click, and then it's forceful-oh shit am i gonna break this thing-pull off the back plate time.

Hey I just started the system transfer. Is there any way too estimate how long this is gonna take? I'm going from a 16gb to a 32gb.

watershed

Banned
Those faceplates are so sweet. Damn NoA for not bringing over the N3ds but really damn Nintendo for not making faceplates for the N3ds XL. I want the big screens and the customizable faceplates! And the colored buttons too!

Impala26

If you had to pick one?

See I'm biased because OR/AS are remakes of 10 year old games that I always really liked. So I'd suggest that just because I think they have a slight edge. But someone completely new to the series? Seriously any of them would be great.

grkazan12

Picked up the black xl today and it's pretty excellent. The only problem is that it has tiny speck of debris under the camera. I never used the camera the on my old 3ds, so it's whatever I guess and I already re downloaded a bunch of my games on it.

I know the camera is useless and sucks anyway, but do you guys think I should send it back in or just keep it?

Hey I just started the system transfer. Is there any way too estimate how long this is gonna take? I'm going from a 16gb to a 32gb.
Did you copy your files to the new memory card first (via PC)? If so, less than ten minutes.

If you are sending all your memory card data as part of the process, it could be a long time.

Aiustis

I just really hope they improved the standby batter life. My vita has been in standby for over a week, and at full battery when i turn it back on.

My old 3DS would last barely 3 days in standby.

I got so spoiled from having a 3ds with the nyko power pak. I have to charge my xl every night. Haven't switched over because what I thought was an 8GB micro sd is actually 2.

Tried to put my nephews older/larger capacity sd into the system.
You have to unscrew it in order to replace the card!!!

WTF Nintendo?

Yah, reading about it is one thing, but then executing it as an adult and imagining this thing is made primarily for kids and you wonder what in the absolute fuck Nintendo was thinking with that design. So out of touch.

Also, what are the average size of Nintendo games from the store? Animal Crossing New Leaf is like 800MB I think. Are they all that big?

I'm gonna be so scared when I have to pop the back off. D:

Its not bad at all as long as you have a small flat head screwdriver to pop each side where the indent is. I tried using the end of the stylus at fist like I sat in a video and it kept slipping / was a pain in the ass. As soon as i grabbed a small flathead, each side popped right out and the back came off easily.

You'll still hear popping noises as you pull the back off, but thats just because its fitted snugly around the ports on the botton edge.

Is it just me, or is the sound quality much better on n3ds than on old when using headphones? I traded my laungh OG in, so can't compare. seems to be different per game, just like before imo. Not a problem once I've adjusted 3D, can keep higher 3D in FE:Awakening than in Majora's Mask, which are the obly ones I've tested this far.

It's better, and the 3ds XL was also an upgrade on the OG 3DS.

With the 3ds XL, event at max volume the sound was not loud enough, whereas with the n3DS XL I can even slide down the cursor a bit. I use Sennheiser 550MMX with a Fiio 06.

The speakers are much better too, it's now an option to not use headphones if you don't want to be isolated.

I just got home, got the RED 3DS XL from Target they had plenty in stock(I called every 10 minutes to be sure LOL) I couldnt do the system transfer of my old system in store since their wifi is crap..so I am home now doing it, Target folk were so nice they even put in the new microsd card for me..I just hope Im doing the system transfer right, I had a zelda VC game in there and it said something about how streetpass mii wont be transfered and if thats OK so I said yes..I am doing the wireless transfer transferring everything over

misterck

Guys is it not possible/safer to try just unscrewing the screws then just lifting the back cover enough to slide out the SD card and slide in the new one?

I do have to say, I don't like the wobble for the top screen at all. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's very annoying at this point.

Not sure if other DS systems suffer the same design flaw - this is my first one.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So my 3DS XL didn't finish the transfer properly. Have to redownload all my games on the N3DS XL, and I lost my saves despite them being on the damn SD card. On top of all this the bottom left of the screen has leakage of the back light or whatever. It's only noticeable sometimes.

Giolon

Got my shiny new system - and boy is it shiny. It shows fingerprints really badly (why Nintendo why!? Matte is the best!)

I'm really enjoying how snappy it feels moving between applications or when bringing up the system menu. The boot time for Smash Bros is like a night and day difference.

Speaking of difference, the stabilized 3D is fantastic. I'm one of the few people that actually liked to play the OG 3DS w/ the 3D effect on, and I'd gotten really good at keeping both myself and the system in the "sweet spot". Now that there is no more sweet spot (or should I say it's all sweet spot?), it's a lot more pleasant to use the feature.

A knock-on effect of the stabilized 3D is that bystanders can actually see what's on your screen without getting the messed up double-image effect. Whether that's a good or bad thing for you, depends on your privacy inclinations, but it certainly helps when you're trying to show something to somebody over your shoulder and you've got the 3D effect turned on.

It's definitely worth the $100 upgrade (trading in your old system to subsidize the new one).

So my 3DS XL didn't finish the transfer properly. Have to redownload all my games on the N3DS XL, and I lost my saves despite them being on the damn SD card. On top of all this the bottom left of the screen has leakage of the back light or whatever. It's only noticeable sometimes.

When you were doing your system transfer, did you get a message(On your old system NOT the new one) about how "Some" data cannot be transferred and then it showed on the bottom "Streetpass mii" I pressed OK since I didnt have any other option

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
When you were doing your system transfer, did you get a message(On your old system NOT the new one) about how "Some" data cannot be transferred and then it showed on the bottom "Streetpass mii" I pressed OK since I didnt have any other option
I think so, yeah.

Has anyone else had issues getting 64GB cards to work? I've tried two different cards, both work with my PC. I've formatted them to FAT32/32kb and neither card is detected by the system.

I've been trying to get this to work for hours now.

rpmurphy

Guys is it not possible/safer to try just unscrewing the screws then just lifting the back cover enough to slide out the SD card and slide in the new one?
Not really easy to do, and if you were able to open it enough, you'll probably have opened it. The SD card slot is like at the center of the unit.

You're suppose to pry the back cover from the left and right edges (it is obvious when you see it), but it is still a pain. The normal N3DS is so much better.

Did you copy your files to the new memory card first (via PC)? If so, less than ten minutes.

If you are sending all your memory card data as part of the process, it could be a long time.

Lol. I'm kicking myself for losing my microsd-sd adapter. I'm doing wireless transfer and it's the most confusing yet cute loading screen.

It's been at 25% for like an hour now. What does this thing even mean? Am I waiting for the pikmin to move the panels and when they are done, it's finally reached 25%?

I think so, yeah.

OK phew I was worried that maybe I did something wrong..then it mentioned something about one game that I had(Zelda Anniversary Edition its a virtual console game) and how it has to be transferred to the sd card, I have no clue I just pressed OK, if I dont get it oh well, just as long a s I get everything else its what matters..I should have called Nintendo to walk me through it but I figured I knew what I was doing

Spades

I don't understand why people are having so much trouble taking off the back faceplate. Once the screws were loosened, mine just popped off when I gently pulled at the indent on either side.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
anyone run into a N3DS XL with dead or stuck pixels yet? It's the #1 worry anytime I buy a new portable system

Gurrry

So I got the LE from best buy delievered to me today...

But no XL.

Its still preparing.

Mother of god, please ship by tonight.

BondFancy

anyone run into a N3DS XL with dead or stuck pixels yet? It's the #1 worry anytime I buy a new portable system

I think 3 or 4 people have so far. Mostly one dead pixel, but someone had one with 3 dead pixels. That's always my biggest fear when I buy electronics, shit sends my OCD into overdrive.

Has anyone else had issues getting 64GB cards to work? I've tried two different cards, both work with my PC. I've formatted them to FAT32/32kb and neither card is detected by the system.

I've been trying to get this to work for hours now.

Thought about going 64GB, so glad i just went with 32GB just to be safe.

Hope you get it working man.

Just sitting here. Sitting here waiting. Waiting for my Monster Hunter LE that has been "out for delivery" for ten hours.

People with patience, please tell me what it's like.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic post! I shall pass on upgrading though for the time being though. Xenoblade alone is not enough to push to spend a lot of money on hardware I "already" own.

K the system transfer finished now the NEW system is asking me "Nintendo DSIware will now be moved to the system memory from the microsd card..move or do not move..also..my old system is asking me if I want to delete all data on the sd card

Hollycat

So, I've only had mine for a little while, and while the better 3d is nice, I have to say:

I hate this system. It feels cheaper than the 3ds xl, fingerprints are all over because of the glossy finish, and it only comes in solid colors which are kind of ugly. Due to the glossy plastic the system actually warms up in your hands, and quickly.

I may just sell this in BST if my opinion doesn't improve soon.

My screens are clear of dead pixels. The analog nub isnt quite as smooth as i'd like when moving through the bottom right quadrant, but since the screens are good and all the buttons feel solid, i'm sticking with it and not pressing my luck by exchanging.

Where/how much did you pay for a 64GB card? I've been going off using a 32GB card for awhile and it finally pretty much filled up today when I downloaded MH4U, so I plan to check for bigger micro cards when I do get a chance to get a N3DS. Any sales going on right soon on micro sd would be awesome.

I got this one from PA:
http://www.play-asia.com/sandisk-ul...8mbs-uhs-iclass-10-paOS-13-49-en-70-7wrb.html

It is $34.99.

The Vita 64GB I got there was twice as much.

So I will have to format it to FAT32 then? I don't mind buying a card reader, but it is another inconvenience.

+ Philips #0 screwdriver
+ Card reader
+ AC charger

So annoying.

Just wanted to know for sure..I got this message after the system transfer ended and it rebooted

Nintendo DSIware will now be moved to the system memory from the microsd card..move or do not move..also..my old system is asking me if I want to delete all data on the sd card

Hugstable

Banned
I got this one from PA:
http://www.play-asia.com/sandisk-ul...8mbs-uhs-iclass-10-paOS-13-49-en-70-7wrb.html

It is $34.99.

The Vita 64GB I got there was twice as much.

So I will have to format it to FAT32 then? I don't mind buying a card reader, but it is another inconvenience.

+ Philips #0 screwdriver
+ Card reader
+ AC charger

So annoying.

Yup it's been a pain trying to plan for everything that I need to have prepared for when I do get the n3dsXL, let alone how ridiculous it is just trying to find one of these right now. I've been to way too many stores today, I'm just callin it quits for now until the next shipment.

Your post just reminded me that I really want to pick up a 64GB memory card for my Vita soon, been wanting to do it for awhile since my 32gb isn't cutting it anymore, but I always keep forgetting haha. Wish they would finally have the 64GB here in NA so I wouldn't have to import :-/

Top Bottom