• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NRA president Jim Porter still fighting war against 'Northern Aggression'

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1333864

5.02.2013, 23:09 PM
Nutty new NRA president Jim Porter still fighting war against 'Northern Aggression'

The new president of the NRA is a good ol’ Southern boy, who sounds even crazier than the group’s gun-nut mouthpiece Wayne LaPierre.

Alabama lawyer Jim Porter has called U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder “rabidly un-American” and proudly spews the Confederate line on the Civil War.

In a June speech, Porter noted the NRA was “started by some Yankee generals who didn’t like the way my Southern boys had the ability to shoot in what we call the ‘War of Northern Aggression.’ ”

“Now y’all might call it the Civil War, but we call it the ‘War of Northern Aggression’ down South,” Porter said to the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association.

He also advocates training all U.S. civilians to use standard military firearms so “they’re ready to fight tyranny.

“Every time you take your nephew out to the gun club, every time you take your daughter skeet shooting, every time you take your grandchildren out, we’re passing on the legacy of freedom,” Porter said in the June speech.

Jim Porter says the NRA was 'started by some Yankee generals who didn't like the way my Southern boys had the ability to shoot in what we call the 'War of Northern Aggression.'
He went on to say that fighting for the Second Amendment was “vital to the very fabric of this country.”

“We got the pads put on, we got our helmets strapped on, we’re cinched up, we’re ready to fight, we’re out there fighting every day,” he said to loud applause.

Nearly a year later, Porter — currently vice president of the NRA and chairman of its Legal Affairs Committee — is bent on overturning recently tightened gun laws that states, including New York, adopted after the Newtown massacre.

“At this stage in the NRA’s history, Jim Porter will be the perfect match for president,” said outgoing President David Keene.

“We will have to move to courts to undo the restrictions placed on gun owners’ rights in New York, Connecticut, Maryland and Colorado,” Keene told The Washington Times.

Porter, son of former National Rifle Association President Irvine Porter, will be in Houston on Friday to kick off the organization’s national convention.

NRA Vice President Wayne LaPierre has been trumped in the crazy department by the gun rights organizations incoming president.
On the eve of the three-day event, the country’s latest shooting in a public place occurred just a few miles from where the group is meeting.

Cops said a man opened fire inside Houston’s Bush International Airport on Wednesday afternoon and died in a confrontation with law enforcement officials. Police believe the man shot himself.

Porter, a former Alabama assistant attorney general, is set to begin his two-year term on Monday.

“I am honored to be able to continue their work to ensure that the inalienable rights to keep and bear firearms for the defense of one’s country, family and self is protected for future generations,” he said in a statement.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre will remain the public face of the group.

The outspoken LaPierre has bashed all government efforts to curb gun violence through legislation.

Following the Dec. 14 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, LaPierre proposed putting armed guards in every school in America.

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” he said.

Keep fucking that cray cray chicken, NRA.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Knowing that these assholes have guns makes me want to buy a gun.

They can call the war whatever they want. They just shouldn't forget that the "northern aggressors" kicked their asses and made them surrender. Their gun culture failed at defending their screwed up way of life.

Everyone needs safety from gun owners, even if you're one yourself.

Should have regulations, rather than no regulations.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Even though it was the South that fired the first shots of the Civil War, they call it "The War of Northern Aggression". LOL

Kinyou

He also advocates training all U.S. civilians to use standard military firearms so “they’re ready to fight tyranny.

Great idea. Those Boston bombers really lacked some proper training.

Yeah, some people still call it the "War of Northern Aggression," but I'm willing to bet this guy wasn't speaking in a serious manner. His quotes read like the joke openers to a speech.

I wouldn't be surprised if he meant it, but eh I'll give him the benefit of the doubt--not like he'll be adding any crazy to the NRA.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get it. Why an important group of this people want to give Washington more power with things like the patriot Act and insurmountable military budget when they fear it so much?

ISOM

Didn't the other thread have a lot of republicans on this forum talking about how the polls were wrong about 44% of them wanting to secede? I'd take a long hard look at it again if I was them.

Man, that's a long time to still be fighting a war.

I really don't know why the US doesn't allow these states to secede and when they inevitably fail, come to the rescue and use the failure as an example of why secession isn't a good idea. There's always the possibility they might not fail but it seems like a risk worth taking.

Then again, I'm on the outside looking in and have no idea of the finer points about why these states can't secede. (I know the reason why they couldn't before, but that doesn't seem like an issue now...am I missing something?)

the North is the REAL America. The founation of the revolution, independance, the constitution... that's the North man, that's real America.

Philly, NYC, Boston, the Tri-State area...

the South can just try to secede already and GTFO if it wants to

Milchjon

Kind of how I feel.

Let the south secede - conquer it - make them shut their fucking mouths for a few more decades.

Let me get back to MN first though, huh...

the North is the REAL America. The founation of the revolution, independance, the constitution... that's the North man, that's real America.

Philly, NYC, Boston, the Tri-State area...

the South can just try to secede already and GTFO if it wants to

Wouldn't that lead to millions of blacks, gays and atheists being condemned to life under an authoritarian theocracy? They've got it rough enough down there as it is.

Damn, you guys are a bit radical...

Antagonism won't make anything better.

I'm amazed you're still here if you dislike this forum so much. Maybe this place just isn't for you. I suggest just not participating anymore.

C'mon, don't stoop to that real America shit. It's all real America just different ideas and ways to work culturally. You don't want to turn into one of them.

Fox, NRA and The Tea Party Republicans won't stop spewing their ''Real'' American bullshit and real America small town values crap.

But hey!!! it's the North that has always been REAL all along

Kusagari

It's pretty annoying when GAF acts like the entire population of the south wants to secede because these of nut cases.

Hey guys, like half the people in the south aren't right wing or cray. Chill out baby.
image.php

Protein

Banned
I'm from a metropolitan area in Texas and I hate the south. The cities are decently liberal (younger crowd) but there's still idiots around here.

At the convention, the NRA said this was part of a 'culture war'. That was probably a bad move on their part. Yeah, go ahead and link guns with gay-hating and being anti-civil rights. Good plan . . . you've just tied yourself to a sinking ship.

Protein

Banned
I don't get it. Why an important group of this people want to give Washington more power with things like the patriot Act and insurmountable military budget when they fear it so much?
They fear minorities and "axis of evil" more than big-government.

I just looked up the population demographics of Texas, and it looks like only 45% of the state is non-Hispanic white. Either most of the minority groups are also republicans, or they must be less likely to vote.

It's mostly the latter to go along with a dysfunctional state Democratic Party and incredibly Gerry-meandered House districts. A huge reason a lot of Republicans are still against immigration reform despite Latinos winning the presidency for Obama is that they're terrified of losing on a state level.

At the convention, the NRA said this was part of a 'culture war'. That was probably a bad move on their part. Yeah, go ahead and link guns with gay-hating and being anti-civil rights. Good plan . . . you've just tied yourself to a sinking ship.

I assume they'll say it's between "urban culture" and "rural culture" -- at least, that is the new talking point I've heard lately.

Although no doubt there's a bit of dog-whistling against TEH GAYS going on as well.

Wouldn't that lead to millions of blacks, gays and atheists being condemned to life under an authoritarian theocracy? They've got it rough enough down there as it is.

Yes, which is why that kind of thinking is dangerous. At that no point you're really no better than the group you disapprove of.

Nah. We'll take em off the grid and halt all imports. The south will fall in days, and then once taken we will not give them power in the government, and they will only have as much representation as puerto rico.

I assume they'll say it's between "urban culture" and "rural culture" -- at least, that is the new talking point I've heard lately.

Although no doubt there's a bit of dog-whistling against TEH GAYS going on as well.

That is the real key difference and the big problem with guns. There really does need to be two different sets of rules. It makes sense to have a shotgun if you live out the middle of nowhere and go deer hunting. But the same shotgun is just not needed if you live in Manhattan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom