• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NRA president Jim Porter still fighting war against 'Northern Aggression'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
I think you guys are being a bit reactionary. When an old southern redneck NRA type says "northern aggression" he really just means "exercise and vegetables."

JCizzle

I can't believe how anti-gun GAF is. Wow. I'm not going to get into it because it seems the bannings are quick if you don't agree.

And you have the right to do so.

I mean, you did see this guy call the civil war a war of northern aggression, right? That's not normal. The guy is delusional and pretty clearly isn't a fan of how certain things played out due to that "aggression". People can't be openly racist anymore so they resort to idiocy like this.

When guns and their biggest lobby are represented by clowns like this guy, then yeah they get a deservedly bad reputation.

Frolow

Banned
I lived in the deep South for over half my life and not once did I hear someone call it the "War of Northern Aggression." I've heard "The War Between the States" occasionally, but never this nonsense.

I lived in the deep South for over half my life and not once did I hear someone call it the "War of Northern Aggression." I've heard "The War Between the States" occasionally, but never this nonsense.

My favorite was always "The South will Rise again!"

It's always said ironically without fully understanding the implications behind said phrase

Cyan

Banned
Deleted massive derail.

Some quick rules of thumb: if you think a thread shouldn't exist, don't post in it. If you think a thread title is inflammatory or trollish, PM a mod. If you think someone has been unjustly banned, PM a mod. If you find yourself saying "I don't mean to backseat mod, but..." or "I'm not going to say what I really think, because I don't want to get banned," consider not posting what you were about to post.

Edit:
And in case it's not clear, if you want to discuss this, please PM me rather than replying in-thread.

We went too easy on the south during reconstruction. Refusing to stomp out confederate culture is why we're still dealing with this shit a century and a half later.

Eusis

We went too easy on the south during reconstruction. Refusing to stomp out confederate culture is why we're still dealing with this shit a century and a half later.
Yet I imagine that'd have infringed on the First Amendment and would've likely just made things worse, depending on how "stomping it out" would've worked (if it was just outright forcing equality earlier and whatnot maybe that'd be a different story), but it does seem things have failed to really resolve themselves, and worse I kind of expect this is a gross parody of the mentality of that period.

Well the republicans wanted the presidency, so they gave up on Reconstruction.

Yet I imagine that'd have infringed on the First Amendment and would've likely just made things worse, depending on how "stomping it out" would've worked (if it was just outright forcing equality earlier and whatnot maybe that'd be a different story), but it does seem things have failed to really resolve themselves, and worse I kind of expect this is a gross parody of the mentality of that period.

We had troops enforcing rights (Freedmen's Bureau), making sure traitors weren't in office, preventing vigilantism like the KKK etc. We got rid of that and we got stuck with racists

Reconstruction is woefully under-taught in the US (probably because it would show northerners tacitly betrayed blacks for economic reasons and showed the 14th and 15th amendments didn't do anything until the civil rights movement)

RedSwirl

Was this shit seriously said in 2013?

But just to joke for a minute, I can't help wonder what a society would be like if literally everyone above a certain age had basic weapons training (ex: Gallia in Valkyria Chronicles). I know that certain countries require men to serve a certain amount of time in the military but I've never looked up what affect that has.

Reconstruction is woefully under-taught in the US (probably because it would show northerners tacitly betrayed blacks for economic reasons and showed the 14th and 15th amendments didn't do anything until the civil rights movement)

Agreed. I don't know shit about it (maybe I just didn't pay attention those days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom