• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Obsidian countdown teaser [Update 2: Kickstarter? One more day!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

A PC exclusive, crowd pleaser, hardcore RPG, with J.E. Sawyer involved?
1275905143_raging-midget.gif

Day 1 whatever it is, as long its not Dungeon Siege 4.

Also J.E Sawyer's mod for New Vegas is amazing. My complaint is even with the exp rate halved, you're still leveling quite quickly. Only wish I stuck around for the v5 before starting my playthrough

Corto

The 4 is the countdown? Nice. But then, why 4? hmmmmm Back to DS4. Better put my expectations in check.
I'm lying. It will be something completely unexpected and gorgeousandgreatandnewIPormaybetormentrelatedand *faints*

So, with regards to the Wheel of Time theory, I looked back at the original announcement in 2010 and discovered the company that was partnering with Obsidian on the project, Red Eagle Games, just cancelled a Kickstarter for a mobile Wheel of Time game that had bombed out really badly.

They had gotten less than 3K of their 450K goal with 5 days left at the time they pulled the plug. People were pledging a dollar to complain that it wasn't a proper, full scale PC RPG. Given the timing, this Kickstarter ending essentially 1 day before the countdown should end, its conceivable they thought they'd be carrying some momentum from this mobile project straight into a 2nd Kickstarter for the Obsidian game. Not that that is actually a good idea, since you're basically asking WoT fans to give you money twice in rapid succession with deliver pretty far away. But it makes a perverse sense in these Kickstarter-addled times we live in.

Could be something completely different, but the timing just seemed suspicious.

Dresden

The serpent eating its tail + the name really does make it sound like Wheel of Time.

An old republic-esque take on the WoT universe would be rad.

Whatever this ends up being, I hope it plays up to the strengths of Obsidian with storytelling and choice making. As long as those notes are hit, the setting or whatever can be anything and I'll be interested.

Fjordson

I'm very unfamiliar to this Wheel of Time thing, what's it about?
Mediocre epic fantasy series. 14 (yep, 14) books long.

Bit of a shame Obsidian has that license instead of something like A Song of Ice & Fire. Now there's an interesting fantasy series.

Hindle

Banned
A new obsidian game? Oh yes. After New Vegas I'm interested in what they do.

Something tells me this is going to be for the PC though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mediocre epic fantasy series. 14 (yep, 14) books long.

Bit of a shame Obsidian has that license instead of something like A Song of Ice & Fire. Now there's an interesting fantasy series.

The series starts very strong though, and then loses itself. The first 4 or 5 books are all very good for the most part, and have some great moments in them. More importantly, the ruleset behind / made for the WoT world is pretty deep. 320 pages with lots of intricacies which could easily be expanded further and taken in new directions. Maybe not as deep as D&D, but the inner workings of the Source and various factions (ajahs), classes (warders etc), and races could make for an interesting foundation for an RPG.

The series starts very strong though, and then loses itself. The first 4 or 5 books are all very good for the most part, and have some great moments in them. More importantly, the ruleset behind / made for the WoT world is pretty deep. 320 pages with lots of intricacies which could easily be expanded further and taken in new directions. Maybe not as deep as D&D, but the inner workings of the Source and various factions (ajahs), classes (warders etc), and races could make for an interesting foundation for an RPG.
I remember I was reading WoT when KOTOR 2 was released and couldn't help notice the similarities between the Source and Obsidian's approach to the Force. The books (and the writing) ran out of steam after a while for me but an RPG set in this universe, with its basic setting could be an excellent fit for Obsidian.

Then again, it might just be a testament to their writing and their ability to juice existing IPs of their concepts for all their worth. DS notwithstanding.

Fjordson

Good point. The "mechanics" could translate to a game in some interesting ways. I just remember being really bored by the characters and the setting. Couldn't bring myself to get too far into the third book.

Geoff9920

It wouldn't be the first Wheel of Time game... the CTF mode from the last one was fairly enjoyable. :p Although a Wheel of Time RPG written by Obsidian could be really promising. Lots of potential for some interesting politics / game mechanics.

Derrick01

Banned
Absolutely none. Sega's never going to touch that IP again.

A successor would mean they could make a really similar game but it just couldn't use the name or any of the names in the game.

I'm actually torn if it's a PC exclusive game because it'll likely be old school style, and sorry but the combat in those games almost always sucked. They were well written and used your skills in a good way but damn was the combat sleep inducing.

dude

dude

I liked the WoT books back in highschool, so it'll at least be somewhat nostalgic.

And even from generic fantasy there's much that can be done, as long as you're aware of how generic it is. Look at BG2, they made even Fearun full of actually interesting characters. The setting is a tool, by itself if doesn't make a game good or interesting.

Well, on one hand, it's another Obsidian game, but on the other, was not at all a fan of DS3.

So, here's hoping for a new IP, I guess?
Actually, this is pretty much my problem with Obsidian - I know they can create great games and I can see the potential in many of their titles, but so far they've failed to actually make these great games. Mask of the Betrayer was close, but it still somewhat missed the mark for me. I have particularly high hope for this though, because of all that "returning to the roots" talk and PC exclusivity.

I'm actually torn if it's a PC exclusive game because it'll likely be old school style, and sorry but the combat in those games almost always sucked. They were well written and used your skills in a good way but damn was the combat sleep inducing.
Some post a nope.gif.

duckroll

It's really unlikely to be Dungeon Siege 4, in fact I'll say there's almost no chance of it: http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/355164008602419905

Our external producer at Square, who championed the Dungeon Siege license, left the company in 2011. His departure may have been part of the reason that Square didn’t pursue the DS series any further.

I wasn’t privy to any of the publisher discussions, so I can only guess at Square’s evaluation of DS3. The budget was low, so it's possible that it was a financial success, though it certainly wasn't a major one.

Also, my information is five months old, and anything could have happened since then.

theDeeDubs

My dream game would be an Obsidian RPG where you start out as a recruit in the Black Tower and rise through the ranks. It would be an easy setting to allow for growth (stat, skill, and prestige) while trying to balance being affected by the taint. The picture got me hyped but I don't remember those names at all from The Wheel of Time :(.

It's Obsidian though so /squeel.

To hell with that! If Bethesda can make PS3 games, they can give me my own personal pipboy!

The Wii U controller would probably be too big, but that is the only awesome use I could think of for that MS Glass initiative. FO4 could ship with a PipBoy shell that you put your smartphone in, and use to access all of your menus and maps in-game. Fuck, that would be rad.

ironcreed

Banned
Fallout 4 would be too good to be true. But here is an interesting tidbit from The Fallout wiki regarding Ouroboros:

"Ouroboros is a village in Western Utah. It is where Hecate, the mad tribal "goddess" resides, as well as the Vipers, a group of raiders from the West who serve her. Jordon Captain of Ouroboros elite city guard also resides here."

"Ouroboros did not appear nor was mentioned in any of the published games, but was to appear in the canceled Fallout 3 project by Black Isle codenamed Van Buren. It is not certain if it will appear in any future Fallout game."

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ouroboros

Wishful thinking perhaps, but still interesting due to the symbol being on the teaser page. I would rather Obsidian do Fallout 4, if I'm being honest.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clearly this is a Nintendo published Wii U exclusive RPG, to be shown behind closed doors at the NYC event in a couple of days, giving journalists a chance to see the title prior to announcement, and coincide their previews with the official website countdown.

Orayn

A successor would mean they could make a really similar game but it just couldn't use the name or any of the names in the game.

I half-agree. There's nothing inherently wrong with the style of tactical combat used in Infinity Engine games, but it could definitely afford to be upgraded, which is a lot easier to do if you aren't forced to use the framework of a tabletop game.

robin2

Wishful thinking perhaps, but still interesting due to the symbol being on the teaser page. I would rather Obsidian do Fallout 4, if I'm being honest.
The Ouroboros could also relate to Torment if we want:
The Ouroboros often represents self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end (compare with phoenix).

Fjordson

Fallout 4 would be too good to be true. But here is an interesting tidbit from The Fallout wiki regarding Ouroboros:

"Ouroboros is a village in Western Utah. It is where Hecate, the mad tribal "goddess" resides, as well as the Vipers, a group of raiders from the West who serve her. Jordon Captain of Ouroboros elite city guard also resides here."

"Ouroboros did not appear nor was mentioned in any of the published games, but was to appear in the canceled Fallout 3 project by Black Isle codenamed Van Buren. It is not certain if it will appear in any future Fallout game."

Interesting, but as you said, too good to be true. Bethesda has no reason to not do FO 4 themselves. Or really any future Fallout game.

ironcreed

Banned
Interesting, but as you said, too good to be true. Bethesda has no reason to not do FO 4 themselves. Or really any future Fallout game.

Yeah, I was just speculating really. The Ouroboros symbol could be used in anything, as it has been for ages. I am fully expecting Bethesda to be doing Fallout 4 as well. As for this? I am actually kind of hoping that it is an interesting new IP.

It seems fairly obvious from what's been presented so far that it's going to be in some kind of fantasy setting. That rules out Fallout, Alpha Protocol etc, even aside from the fact that Obsidian will never be allowed to work on those games again anyway.

My personal guess is either the Black Hound, Wheel of Time, or something completely new.

Sentenza

I'm actually torn if it's a PC exclusive game because it'll likely be old school style, and sorry but the combat in those games almost always sucked.
I thought you were a cool guy.

On a side note, while that is absolutely false for many old school PC RPGs, it's absolutely true for every single previous Obsidian production. They never nailed combat, camera and controls.

So, we sure it's Dungeon Siege 4?
I'm almost sure it's The Wheel of Time, actually.
Or did I miss something?

ADPolice

Neo Member
I'll just throw in my wild guess, judging by the logo I would guess its related to the Witcher series. They are looking to expand the brand and world and what better way than give Obsidian a crack at it?

Durante

Obsidian could even make something interesting from Star Wars lore. I don't think the source material is a huge issue.

Labadal

Chris Avellone's blog entry at the official Obsidian home page - September 11.

It’s been a while – aside from Obsidian work, I’ve been doing quite a bit of talks here at Dragon*Con and across the sea in Spain at Gamelab on a variety of subjects, from advice to getting into the industry, to Kickstarter, and even our approach to designing characters for video games. Even better, I’ll be doing the same coming up here in October at Austin GDC’s narrative track concerning Obsidian’s narrative approach - and going through our design process at the end of the month overseas concerning design as well (more on this as it happens).

Still, it’s nice to be home and back into the thick of things here. Speaking of which, for those of you who’ve come to visit the page, you may have noticed our countdown. Our countdown to what? It should become clear in 4 days or so – stay vigilant.

I don't know if my body is ready or not.

Wheel of Time would make for a waaaaaay more fun game series than ASOIAF despite the quality of writing in the latter (which has also declined tbh).

Wheel of Time definitely goes to shit for like 8 books haha. But the last 3 have found their footing and have been far more exciting than Feast for Crows or the Dragons one.

The point I'm trying to make is that when there's finally an end-game in sight the books are back to being interesting again. And I really want to play a Wheel of Time game from Sawyer and Obsidian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom