• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Official Playstation Magazine (Heavenly Sword, Stranglehold REVIEWED)

traveler said:
An 8 is exactly what I would have given the Stranglehold demo. Really fun. Might just be able to rent it. (Had they released it during the summer or delayed until next year it would have been a buy.)
Well, its was on my "get but not new" list. However with it coming out next week and my interest in Lair and HS dropping, I may chip in the extra 10 bux and grab the SE.

traveler said:
An 8 is exactly what I would have given the Stranglehold demo. Really fun. Might just be able to rent it. (Had they released it during the summer or delayed until next year it would have been a buy.)

Yeah. For some reason I thought I read that as a 9. It's on my very long list of games to buy at $30.

traveler said:
at this time of year, presuming it averages about an 8 in reviews, i don't have time for an 8 (own all the main systems... and this winter is going to be nutty) in a genre i'm already getting lots of games, but Hard Boiled makes it a buy. i enjoyed the demo on the 360 so i'm just hoping that even if the ps3 version isn't as good a game, that there isn't much in it.

i'm getting the ps3 version eitherway because Hard Boiled is the selling point for me... so it's reassuring to see the game score an 8 on it's lonesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't believe I am the first to mention the foul stench of MS moneyhats here. Has anyone done the full due diligence on the reviewers yet?

Good news on Singstar though. May pick up that and GHIII instead of RB. Can NA people just import it? I suppose you wouldn't be able to buy stuff from the Store so I guess I'll have to wait.

xbhaskarx

Lair - 6
Heavenly Sword - 7

Stranglehold - 8
Colin McRae Dirt - 8
All-Pro Football 2k8 - 7
NCAA Football 08 - 8

I played the 360 demos for Stranglehold, Dirt, All-Pro and NCAA, and I thought they were all pretty lousy. Maybe lousy is going too far, but definitely not buy-worthy. I'm waiting for some really great games to come out before buying a PS3, it looks like I'll have to continue waiting. Hopefully Uncharted and Killzone 2 live up to the hype.

6 and 7, what did PSM give Lair and HS? Will the editor get booted for giving Lair and HS such low scores?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
xbhaskarx said:
6 and 7, what did PSM give Lair and HS? Will the editor get booted for giving Lair and HS such low scores?
PSM didn't review HS yet. I think that guy there became notorious for giving Warhawk 6 (or 6.5 I don't remember), not because of his Lair or HS review.

Mojovonio said:
Who would have thought EGM would give HS its highest scores, huh?
There are some higher scores than EGM's 83% (and I don't mean nextgenisland, but from US magazines and such)

Dahbomb

xbhaskarx said:
Lair - 6
Heavenly Sword - 7

Stranglehold - 8
Colin McRae Dirt - 8
All-Pro Football 2k8 - 7
NCAA Football 08 - 8

I played the 360 demos for Stranglehold, Dirt, All-Pro and NCAA, and I thought they were all pretty lousy. Maybe lousy is going too far, but definitely not buy-worthy. I'm waiting for some really great games to come out before buying a PS3, it looks like I'll have to continue waiting. Hopefully Uncharted and Killzone 2 live up to the hype.

Lair got 5 by PSM.

The reviews for Heavenly Sword are all over the place (6-10). Lair is keeping it real with the 6-7 range.

kenta

Has no PEINS
So Heavenly Sword is as good of a game as Crazy Taxi Fare Wars

It will be tough trying to decide between which game to get... hmm...

pswii60

kenta said:
So Heavenly Sword is as good of a game as Crazy Taxi Fare Wars

It will be tough trying to decide between which game to get... hmm...

Crazy Taxi for me - with my PSP2000. Seriously, I love me some Crazy Taxi.

pswii60 said:
Got my latest Official Playstation Magazine UK.

PS3 Reviews

Lair - 6
Heavenly Sword - 7
Stuntman Ignition - 7
Stranglehold - 8
Singstar PS3 - 9
Wowhawk - 9
Colin McRae Dirt - 8
NASCAR 08 - 4
All-Pro Football 2k8 - 7
NCAA Football 08 - 8
Gauntlet II PSN - 2

PSP Reviews

Crazy Taxi Fare Wars - 7
Worms Open Warfare 2 - 8
Tony Hawks Project 8 - 7
PQ2 Practical Intelligence Quotient - 6
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - 7
Final Armada - 2

PS2 Reviews

Singstar 90s - 7
Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s - 7
Obscure II - 6
Premier Manager 08 - 3

Previews

MGS4
UTIII
Killzone 2
Call of Duty 4
Ratchet & Clank
GT5 Prologue
Condemned 2
White Knight Story
Prototype
DMC4
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Infamous
Lego Indiana Jones

I'll add that to the official thread

Wollan

The reason for why HS is all over the place is due to different expectations (no shit Sherlock).
What I mean is, if HS was just a adventure game where you walked slowly into the castle found a key, did some riddles and so forth to get to the next level it would be hailed as a adventure title classic with it's ludicrous production values & cutscenes. On the other hand, as it is now it's a game with a good combat system that's very repetitive and short. Comes down to how much a reviewer puts weight on Production values/story/atmosphere over the actual gameplay adventure.

dionysus

Yaldog
BobTheFork said:
Well, its was on my "get but not new" list. However with it coming out next week and my interest in Lair and HS dropping, I may chip in the extra 10 bux and grab the SE.

Why would your interest in HS be dropping? Its getting consistently good reviews with a few exceptions panning it.

The only negatives I hear are length and a hit or miss gameplay(some people love the combat and others hate how its mostly reactive combat instead of proactive.)

I am a story nut, so maybe its just me and I think it might be my personal GOTY.

It's nice to see Wowhawk is delivering MotorStorm caliber review scores. Especially 'cause it appears to be the best game of its kind on any console.

spwolf

Haunted One said:
Woah. Lair and Heavenly Sword are so yesterday's summer draught hype.

It's all about Wowhawk and Singstar now. GAF was fooled again (except for the Wowhawk beta testers.)

edit: I liked the Factor 5.5 joke more than Factor 6.

no wonder jaffe got pissed at cancelled Wowhawk roumors, eh?

Haunted

spwolf said:
I have no doubt that they ran into serious problems during the development (which the original rumour was about), so it's cool that they've seemingly turned it around again. And Jaffe wasn't pissed, that's just the way he talks. :lol

dionysus said:
Why would your interest in HS be dropping? Its getting consistently good reviews with a few exceptions panning it.

The only negatives I hear are length and a hit or miss gameplay(some people love the combat and others hate how its mostly reactive combat instead of proactive.)

I am a story nut, so maybe its just me and I think it might be my personal GOTY.
I've only seen negative reviews so far personally. That won't stop me from buying it, just buying it this year. Main reason, too short. I know that means different things of different gamers but I don't have the money to buy every game. If its only 8-7 hours, I'll wait until its cheaper and buy something I'll get more life out of now. Personally, I've gotten SOOOOOO much gaming goodness out of Resistance, motorstorm and oblivion and I'm finding much harder to want to spend the 60 bux if I feel like im going to be done with in a week.

Edit: I didn't like WarHawk, so I'm a bit bitter. Feels like the gaming hype I had for all the badass games I was going to have is just falling out.

pswii60

spwolf said:

Well the game was obviously in turmoil, but they concentrated on multiplayer and obviously delivered where Shadowrun didn't.

Top Bottom