• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Official TLOU2 Video - "Inside The Gameplay | PS4" (PLEASE DON'T POST SPOILERS)

scalman

think that will be first game that you wont be completely hidden when you in grass, people still can see you as devs said. so you not safe anywhere, they can find you under cars or in grass or in any places if you will stay there for long time, so its not like all other games where you go in grass and you invisiable forever. so that will be gameplay changing thing because suddenly you cant play it like AC game or other game where you could do stealth in grass forever. cool.
i liked snow effects
QjtRuv4.jpg

liMlPZV.jpg

oSjQXst.jpg

though maybe lighting wont be that good as in modern open world games, meaning scenes not look so dark when you would think they should maybe, but then its not open world game too so they needed to make those look how they wanted them not how engine did it .

and as i remember in first game you couldnt fight so many clickers alone , and here she just put them on fire as thats just fine
jmVvmC0.png

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Looks great, as we already knew. It's the same gameplay demo.

I like what they were saying about increased mobility though. Made me look at the gameplay differently. The tanky movement & responsiveness of part 1 made sense as we were controlling Joel. Ellie can jump, dodge, crawl under things to hide or through cracks in the wall to escape.

I never really thought too much about those differences & they do sound good. They're going for a more hectic combat style than part 1, which was a bit slower & more deliberate a lot of the time. I could get into this. Love me a really responsive, reliable dodge button. Wonder if there's a counter attack system if the player dodges & hits back quickly enough.

I sometimes wish I'd never looked at those leaks. Then I could just have enjoyed these teaser videos without that shadow hanging over everything.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We are finally getting close to release date, I guess its about time I replay original game before Part 2 drops in.

Woggleman

This looks like a new and improved version of the first gameplay wise and that is exactly what I wanted. I just hope there are sections where you can pit the humans and infected against each other like in the Left Behind DLC.

DjMystix

The more I see of this game, the more I regret knowing about the spoilers. All the sjw crap aside, it is hard to question the overall quality of this game.

I mean, yeah it looks good, but I don't want to play a game about hate, and crazies during a post apoc pandemic/virus.
I expect the game will look and sound good, and will have great voice work, but I am not impressed by the writing, the leaks, or the gameplay.

Eimran

Looks amazing. Deep respect for Naughty Dog and their talent and I hope they get the credit they deserve.

That aside, considering the political agenda of Druckmann, it's still a no-buy for me and will stay so.

I mean, yeah it looks good, but I don't want to play a game about hate, and crazies during a post apoc pandemic/virus.
I expect the game will look and sound good, and will have great voice work, but I am not impressed by the writing, the leaks, or the gameplay.

In a lawless, post-apocalypse, isnt that a setting where hate and crazy could be as present as ever?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Funnily enough, one of the first things that gave me pause for thought was when Neil said the theme was 'hate'. In fact, I could not believe he said it considering the complexity of the first game. Hate is such a shallow driver for a meaningful narrative that it would render it puerile, unless he misspoke or is hiding the true theme because it may lead to spoilers. However ... and this scares me ... if that 'hate' is expanded upon to cover different layers of hate for different aspects of a personality, that could be problematic given what the 'agenda' is likely to cover. I just pray to God he misspoke.

10 minutes of patting themselves on the back for implementing prone and a dodge button because STORY interspersed with footage from the faked E32018 showing and for some reason last fall's downgraded and unimpressive b-roll. No fucks given.

I love how it cut away from the scene just before the one npc did that embarrassing shimmy through the doorway everyone made fun of last year.

Less than four weeks to go... Guess if you want more recent footage you got to check out the spoiler threads.

Quotes from video in OP

"In this game we've gone so far in making the level design open that there are actually entire story moments, entire combat encounters, full scripted sequences that you may completely miss," The Last of Us part 2 Co-Director Anthony Newman said in the latest look at the sequel. "And there are things that we feel like, even though a portion of our player base may never see these things, the fact that when you do encounter them, you feel like you discovered them, it lends them this charm and this magic I think is unique to games that this happened to me, because of what I did and the place I explored to."

"We put a much stronger emphasis on the importance of the choices you make in the longterm for your character," Newman said. "Through the weapon upgrade system, through the player upgrade system, there aren't enough resources in a single playthrough to fully upgrade your character. The choices that you make, you're going to have to live with. And we wanted to make sure that all the choices that you made had a really noticeable and tangible impact on the way that you play."

Whether this means any sort of New Game+ mode will be included from the jump or introduced later is not stated, but it sounds like players will have to play through The Last of Us Part 2's journey multiple times to experience the full skill trees.

GIMME DAT NEW GAME+

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Definitely looks like the gameplay is improve since the previous game, which is to be expected. But I don't know, nothing about it screams insane to me. Will still be checking it out regardless as I enjoyed the first enough to want to.

"Through the weapon upgrade system, through the player upgrade system, there aren't enough resources in a single playthrough to fully upgrade your character. The choices that you make, you're going to have to live with. And we wanted to make sure that all the choices that you made had a really noticeable and tangible impact on the way that you play."

Just what i wanted.

Umbral

"We put a much stronger emphasis on the importance of the choices you make in the longterm for your character," Newman said. "Through the weapon upgrade system, through the player upgrade system, there aren't enough resources in a single playthrough to fully upgrade your character. The choices that you make, you're going to have to live with. And we wanted to make sure that all the choices that you made had a really noticeable and tangible impact on the way that you play."

I’m tired of ”fully upgrade your character.” More specifically in this type of context and game where it’s shooting for realism then you have a damned upgrade tree of stats. It’s silly and there’s got to be better solution.

How about instead of going to a “workbench” and using ”scrap” to upgrade your your water bottle suppressor (LOL) to work longer you reward the player for exploring by placing actual suppressors around the environment for them to stumble onto.

I just want to see somebody before I die try to make a game with as little UI as possible, or even better, no UI at all.

Last edited:
next video on May 27th

From here on out, we’ll be releasing new videos every week for the next three weeks. Here’s what to expect and when:
  • May 13th: Inside the Story
  • May 20th: Inside the Gameplay
  • May 27th: Inside the Details
  • June 3rd: Inside the World
We look forward to sharing more in the weeks to come! Enjoy!

Caio

I think it looks and plays great. The Level design has improved a lot and it's more complex, giving you more freedom and choices. I can't wait, I loved the first one !

Matsuchezz

I just remembered that the game is 2 Discs, the game is gonna be massive. I hope there is a higher difficulty than grounded. I believe i have seen a prison, I hope there is really big factory or something like an assembly line, I love architecture, furniture in games, and I love to see pipes and all that, I am enjoying Control a lot, since it has a lot of geometry on their levels and scenarios.
I really enjoy when replaying a game, you find out new cutscenes or new story elements that you did not see the first time.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Outdated & recycled footage from September and E3 2018. Seems overall this stuff is geared towards the more general audience of course.
Anyways, the gameplay really is going to be incredible and tense. Most looking forward to the UI and analog stealth.

The wider level design they're going for really excites me as well. Gonna be a big game.

Last edited:
I am simply so excited for this I cannot wait to try out this new ai animation system. Boooyah! Looks awesome and they showed updated bits from the original trailer so that says to me it was actually true gameplay all along! I mean they wouldn’t show off fake stuff so close to launch since the game has gone gold right?? Wow!!

People posting spoilers? Im out. Ive managed to avoid them all so far so I’m not looking at any more im going dark.

Last edited:
Looks fantastic and i can't wait.

My last PS4 purchase. I always support Sony studios but I can't do Ghost Of Tushima as well. Will be too much to play.

After this game its all PS5.

Last edited:

dan76

Yeah it looks ok. It's a long way to say they've added a prone button and a jump button. Also, I've never felt and conflict when killing anything in a videogame, so really don't get the thinking on this. The only reason I'd sneak past an enemy and not kill it is because I want to conserve supplies, not because of any moral conflict.

In a lawless, post-apocalypse, isnt that a setting where hate and crazy could be as present as ever?

Just because something makes sense in context of the story, does not mean it's something I have to seek out and enjoy. These types of things just add to my anxiety considering I live in one of the worst hotzones where many of the people where I live are acting just like the TLOU part one intro via fireflies V Government.

It's not the kinda story I wish to playthrough at this time. Maybe after a price drop and after this on going situation ends I may think about checking it out. At the very least I will youtube it in a year or two.

THEAP99

Banned
Remember guys, this game is going to redefine the word “AAA”. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lock great though. Can’t judge the gameplay yet, having that said, I don’t see anything that is standing out.
It doesn't really need to have gameplay so out there to "redefine" anything. It will probably just set a new standard for narrative-driven AAA games and how the gameplay and narrative come together to complement each other in an impactful way.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Everytime I watch those scenes I keep asking myself...are they playing on baby mode?

Anyway, gameplay aspect doesn't seems to be that much different from the first one. They added that stealth sneak mechanic(which is not new in their videos) which I feel like its gonna make the game even more "snail pacing" to play.

Crafting seems better I think and I like the battle sequences...bar a few here and there. The sequence to deal with a zombie quickly seems neat.
The dogs being able to pick up your scent and chase you is going to through a wrench in the slower stealth style 😜

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
A video about the gameplay, where they mostly talk about the story and how the gameplay's there to support the story. Okay. Otherwise, it looks virtually the same as the first game with minor improvements. This doesn't feel like an evolution or upgrade in terms of gameplay.
The contextual melee got improved, there's an injury system, there's prone stealth, there's verticality because Ellie can jump now so she can get to new areas to get an advantage point on the enemies, there's dodge too

THEAP99

Banned
When do you guys think we'll get the review embargo announcement and how long before release do you think the review embargo will lift?

Judging by past sony games, embargos are announced a little less than a month before release. So surely we should know soon when reviews drop.
(god of war review embargo for a week before release was announced March 19th. reviews dropped April 12th..a week before release. spiderman ps4 review embargo was announced august 20th.. embargo lifted on sept 4th which was 3 days before release.)

And when will they drop? I don't know. Probably a week before release like God of War 4. Uncharted 4's embargo lifted 5 days before release I believe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom