• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New piracy technique on PS4 in Brazil confirmed real, Sony might take legal action

Ahasverus

I dunno this technique sounds like a chore. This will not get massive until it's as easy as putting in a burned blu-ray. Probably involving a modchip.

Duxxy3

Spent all of that time locking down the USB, trying to prevent piracy but fucking over legit customers who just want to use their $200 arcade stick or $300 steering wheel, and people still end up hacking the console.

Pacotera

Banned
All i can say it works...but its a chore indeed.... the fact that when you leave a console to someone to do this "hack", first thing they need to do is create a new user with their account and download ALL 10~12 games on the users harddrive....

That alone takes time...

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
I'm sure those who are doing this are getting a big laugh right now but in the end they won't be laughing.....Cheaters in games believe they're invincible but get caught eventually, banned, etc...and those who meddle with hacks & piracy are no different. There's a saying...."You play with fire, you get burned with fire". If you were a developer, worked on games and saw your work going for Free...how would you feel?

BibiMaghoo

I'm sure those who are doing this are getting a big laugh right now but in the end they won't be laughing.....Cheaters in games believe they're invincible but get caught eventually, banned, etc...and those who meddle with hacks & piracy are no different. There's a saying...."You play with fire, you get burned with fire". If you were a developer, worked on games and saw your work going for Free...how would you feel?

This has nothing to do with cheating. You cannot hack or cheat with this method, only play games you don't own.

The majority of pirates are fine with playing offline. The only burning getting done is of the games.

I honestly don't think they need to do anything, its really to the benefit of Sony if they get more sales. Their consoles are selling at a loss anymore and it increases the install base greatly(though largely not a purchasing user base, but that is fairly irrelevant unless it causes stock shortages)

But in the eyes of publishers and developers they have to be seen to be doing something.

From what I understand this method isn't really anything new, it was used plenty for past consoles too
You know they take a cut of game sales, too. So it isn't just 'Bobby K will be on our arses over lost sales if we don't fix this'.

Publisher lost revenue is also Sony's lost revenue. So it is ludicrous to suggest Sony deep inside might not care because they're making 1% margin on a console sale.

Spent all of that time locking down the USB, trying to prevent piracy but fucking over legit customers who just want to use their $200 arcade stick or $300 steering wheel, and people still end up hacking the console.

Joke post? Or (more likely) you read the title and not the first post?

Majority of pirates I know are perfectly aware of this, they simply find their enjoyment more important than anything regarding people they don't personally know.

A little like soldier at war mentality, except they could absolutely live without that content.

jimi_dini

It depends on how you look at it.

Is the PS4 hacked as in hackers got the keys? Nope.
But people can modify the hardware/software, so their "customers" can play games, that they haven't paid for? Yes. I would call that a hardware hack.

They flash another PS4's data onto a PS4 and that seems to work.

The PS4 is definitely not meant to let you play games, that you haven't paid for. At least it's supposed to stop people from duplicating games an unlimited amount of times. This method lets people do exactly that and that's what Sony cares about. It doesn't really matter how it's accomplished. Sure, getting the keys would be way worse, but people pirating games is really bad already.

Tunin

Not surprised to be honest. Prices are still very high here in Brazil, it's only worth to be a gamer if you are a PC gamer.

For example, the Witcher 3 for the PS4, right now the retail price is R$ 229 and I just bought it on steam for R$ 85, that's ~63% lower.

When the prices are high piracy always find a way, unfortunately.

The Hermit

This wont spread like the DS or Ps2, thats for sure.

Too cumbersome and still expensive.

What the above poster said, here in Brazil PC is the way to go. (Expect for the hardware, that's still a bitch. Theres no decent gsync monitor here :( )

Duxxy3

What is incorrect about my post? Sony did go way out of their way to ensure that the USB port was locked down. That did not stop people from hacking the system and pirating games. You can argue about definitions if you like, but the end result is the same.

le-seb

What is incorrect about my post? Sony did go way out of their way to ensure that the USB port was locked down. That did not stop people from hacking the system and pirating games. You can argue about definitions if you like, but the end result is the same.
But the USB port isn't really locked down, Sony has simply removed system wide support for legacy USB devices.
It's mostly an API change, and developers are still free to implement drivers for these devices if they wish (and can, because there are some legal reasons - like licensing fees to third parties -that may prevent them to do so.)
Games like War Thunder, or more recently Driveclub and Project CARS, have shown that many of these legacy USB devices can perfectly be used on the console.

Duxxy3

But the USB port isn't really locked down, Sony has simply removed system wide support for legacy USB devices.
It's mostly an API change, and developers are still free to implement drivers for these devices if they wish (and can, because there are some legal reasons - like licensing fees to third parties -that may prevent them to do so.)
Games like War Thunder, or more recently Driveclub and Project CARS, have shown that many of these legacy USB devices can perfectly be used on the console.

Yes and no. Some games are using specific drivers (which IMO they shouldn't have to do), but it's still not good enough. No logitech wheels work on the system (please correct me if I'm wrong), and the only way to get legacy arcade sticks is a convoluted method where you need a dualshock 4 as well at the arcade stick.

Even the cronus/titan devices have issues with the PS4.

le-seb

Yes and no. Some games are using specific drivers (which IMO they shouldn't have to do), but it's still not good enough. No logitech wheels work on the system (please correct me if I'm wrong), and the only way to get legacy arcade sticks is a convoluted method where you need a dualshock 4 as well at the arcade stick.
You're wrong.
So wrong.

Even the cronus/titan devices have issues with the PS4.
These devices are a joke, trying to trick the console into believing you're playing with a controller when you're not.
That's not the proper way of getting device support on the console.

le-seb

Actually, you do need a controller for each player in addition to the arcade stick.
Ah my bad, I thought Duxxy3 was speaking of adapters a la CronusMax.

Having to keep a controller powered on for the missing/unsupported buttons is not that convoluted, though.
The same thing happens when I play Driveclub with my T500RS wheel, and it's really nothing to be mad about: the only times I have to use the controller is when I'm browsing the Playstation Store or users' PSN profiles from the game. Or need to hit the Share or PS buttons, obviously. Every other menu can be accessed using the d-pad and buttons on the wheel.
Not a perfect solution, for sure, but still better than not being able to use the devices at all, right?

Top Bottom