• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

Okay, i made a top view

4L2PI.jpg

both views

M7ohn.jpg

BD disc scale might be off.
Thats it, i'm done with photoshop for today lol

Fuuuck dude, please tell me you're working for some important job with photoshop.

AkIRA_22

It will be 199$ unfortunately, they won't be cheaper than a 360 4GB.
Also with a 150$ PS3 there would be a significant boom in PS3 sales that Sony is not forecasting for the next FY.

Your logic is sound... I know it's my inner fanboi screaming, but I really want the PS3 to outsell 360 globally. I don't know why I want it to. I just think if it can do it, even by just a few hundred thousand it would be a show that despite it's early hurdles, the brand is still relevant and quite strong. I'm sick of the hate in the games media leveled at the PS3, I think it would go a long way to silencing the unchecked and undeserved cynicism aimed at the Play Station brand.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, so is the 16GB flash built in? I wonder if the ones with harddrives will also have that builtin.

Also I wonder if Sony is doing this as a pre-test for the PS4, testing builtin flash capabilities.

Nope, just a HDD upgrade from 160/320GB to 250/500GB with a new form factor.
16GB model would allow them to get below 200$ and create direct competition to the Xbox360 4GB.
It's disappointing, the ideal pricing should be 150$/200$/250$ for both PS3 and 360 at this point.......but it's not going to happen, Sony and MS are happy to keep their prices and profits higher even so late in the game.

Hm, well the 360 could still drop.. Not saying 150 but I think the 16gb could be under 200, with a $20-30 drop for the 250gb.

Seems weird. How are custom designs even going to work with this thing.

Just paint the middle section red, everyone can feel like Kaz.

Accoun

I will never understand how people find the original PS3 FAT beauttiful.
Still looks as obnoxious to me as the original XBOX hulk controller and your average american made super-sized SUV.

'Hey look, its big as shit. Lets make it shiny and throw in some chrome plastic too"

It only needed sirens and some flags on top to make its presence aware from space.
Nah, it was a good base shape that was meh-ly scaled. If it had the sizes ~ those of Slim, it would be far better. I still like it, though...

It took the PS2 nine years to reach $99.
I don't think COGS was the limiting factor.

Their forecast is 14m, lower than last year's 15m (although their actual result was 13.9m).
Of course they expect a significant uptake in sales for the rest of the year which will bring them to 14m.
With a 150$ model sales would be much higher than 14m.
Is another $50 price cut on a model with far less internal storage really going to make up for being down 30% Y/Y in the US, with the Wii U launching this Holiday?

Last year's $50 price cut certainly didn't spur sales enough to reach forecast. And despite the cut they're down significantly Y/Y right now and we'll be into post-price cut Y/Y territory soon.

MYE

Nah, it was a good base shape that was meh-ly scaled. If it had the sizes ~ those of Slim, it would be far better. I still like it, though...

The best looking PS3 fat was (funny enough) the cheapest one

rip-20gb-ps3.jpg

Black Panel, black logo

Seance

Banned
Ahhh Sony, look at you now.

In any case it looks like there is a partition in the centre of the "ribbed" section.
Top loading disc tray?

The best looking PS3 fat was (funny enough) the cheapest one

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/rip-20gb-ps3.jpg[IMG]

Black Panel, black logo[/QUOTE]

I agree with the colors of the 20 gig but the Spiderman font still rubs me the wrong way.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
$149.99 base (flash) model. HD models @ $199.99 and up (best guess)

The board and internals are I suspect basically unchanged from current models, I know the first slims had 250W psu's but I think they reduced it over the revisions down to around 200W (actual peak consumption went from ~120w to 90w) so I think dropping to 190w is just another economy.

Either way, the drop is too small to indicate a re-fab of CPU/GPU, if anything has been done it'll be integrating those components onto a single die to reduce heat and cheapen cooling.

BlazinAm

ps3 16gb - $99-$149
250gb-$199
500gb -$249-$299
... That might work for them. A $99 model would be a great competitor to the microsoft $99 pricing scheme. Why does everyone think that they are going to get rid of the slot loading drive? I just thought of something, why would they make just a 16gb version, isn't flash memory at that point? Why go through the trouble of having just one model with flash in it? I would assume that the higher models would have a hard drive plus the flash memory unless that the hard drive support is gone in the new models?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I don't mind the overall style but I'm worried about the sliding door, for it to work well it either has to be motorised or used some kind of good quality runner otherwise it's going to come of feeling really tacky, just basic plastic on plastic sliding door is a no go seriously.

Sony really should've released their own press pics. The same thing happened with the iPhone 4, everyone thought it looked fugly in the leaked pics, but Apple's photos made it look a lot better.

Lucent

PS3 slim is a good looking system

I agree. It's the best looking system IMO. And it feels solid. the slim 360 felt like the plastic wanted to cave in and made sounds whenever I picked it up. Probably because it's held together by the ends but yeah that's not really what we're talk'n about.

If these pics are true, I'm stick'n with my current slim. Unless better pics somehow make it look better. lol

BlazinAm

if this is $149 with 16GB of flash & PlayStation Mobile is added to the PS3 or Android someone is in trouble.

Lol yeah, i am a little shocked that there isn't a new model of the vita. Sony should be able to reduce component costs and have some internal memory added.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
16gb of flash chips is a lot cheaper than a 250gb hd, especially since the wholesale price remains inflated after the Thai floods and seems unlikely to drop until 2013.

BlazinAm

Sony really should've released their own press pics. The same thing happened with the iPhone 4, everyone thought it looked fugly in the leaked pics, but Apple's photos made it look a lot better.

I am pretty sure Sony doesn't respond to every leak by reveal all their info right then and there. Also its the weekend so I'm pretty sure you won't get a official response from Sony until Monday Japan time which would be Sunday in the States.

Not that I'm going to buy it (because frankly it's fugly), but if it really is top loading, I also wouldn't be able to place it where my PS3 currently lives. There's just not enough room to see the top of it (and I wouldn't be comfortable fumbling around and sticking my fingers all over the mechanism etc).

Their forecast is 14m, lower than last year's 15m (although their actual result was 13.9m).
Of course they expect a significant uptake in sales for the rest of the year which will bring them to 14m.
With a 150$ model sales would be much higher than 14m.

No actually there forcast is now only 13M, 900k lower than what they achieved last year.

Top Bottom