• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

knerl

I can take a video, what game do you want me to show?

I'll also show it going from the game to the main menu (that usually makes th fan ramp up on most consoles)

If you have them and can I'd like to see Shadow Fall, Infamous First Light and TLOU after at least 15 min of gameplay.

Shadow Fall in the level where a skyscraper is collapsing.
TLOU in the level where you have to turn on a generator in a basement filled with water and spores.
First Light in the arena having some action going on while looking towards the ceiling.

OCD Guy

If you have them and can I'd like to see Shadow Fall, Infamous First Light and TLOU after at least 15 min of gameplay.

Shadow Fall in the level where a skyscraper is collapsing.
TLOU in the level where you have to turn on a generator in a basement filled with water and spores.
First Light in the arena having some action going on while looking towards the ceiling.

I have all three.

One thing though, how can I prove its after 15minutes of gameplay. Aside from making a 15 minute video?

OCD Guy

Judging you beforehand I'd say you're decent enough to tell the truth. No reason to lie about it I mean.

That's fair enough, I just wanted to get that out there, as anyone cynical (not saying yourself) could just say "it's only been switched on for two minutes"

Anyway I'll get a video up soon and post to YouTube.

big_z

I have all three.

One thing though, how can I prove its after 15minutes of gameplay. Aside from making a 15 minute video?

far cry 4 is a better test if you have it.

-go to any shop, bring up the menu with the options screen and wait a few minutes for the ps4 fan to base line.
-exit menu, talk to shop owner and quickly go to weapons menu and leave any gun model on screen for a few minutes. ps4 fan will speed up quickly.

OCD Guy

far cry 4 is a better test if you have it.

-go to any shop, bring up the menu with the options screen and wait a few minutes for the ps4 fan to base line.
-exit menu, talk to shop owner and quickly go to weapons menu and leave any gun model on screen for a few minutes. ps4 fan will speed up quickly.

Yes I have far cry 4.

So go to a shop, press playstation button to go to xmb for a few minutes, then go back to game, select gun and wait for a few minutes?

I've got assassins creed unity too, wasn't that meant to ramp the fan up on a menu?

Edit: I'll make a couple of short videos, one showing the fan at idle on xmb, another showing in game, and another showing going from game to xmb without closing the application.

SpyGuy239

GAF I'm thinking of getting my first PS4 when my First paycheck comes in a few weeks.

Question: Is there a price cut coming soon? If so what are the rumors on when it is?

Thanks!!

SpyGuy239

My bet is on Christmas 2016.

299€
16nm APU

Oh well then there's no point waiting then lol.

I was just expecting a price cut to $349 this year after all those rumors....I didn't miss an E3 2015 announcement from Sony right?

Also all the last of us remastered packs seem to be gone; I prefer that over the Arkham one ):

GAF I'm thinking of getting my first PS4 when my First paycheck comes in a few weeks.

Question: Is there a price cut coming soon? If so what are the rumors on when it is?

Thanks!!

They are outselling Xbox and their system costs nearly $100 more if u think about all the deals and promotions Xbox has. No price cut is coming. That's like throwing away free $

Andrefpvs

Yes I have far cry 4.

So go to a shop, press playstation button to go to xmb for a few minutes, then go back to game, select gun and wait for a few minutes?

I've got assassins creed unity too, wasn't that meant to ramp the fan up on a menu?

Edit: I'll make a couple of short videos, one showing the fan at idle on xmb, another showing in game, and another showing going from game to xmb without closing the application.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to this.

Chronos24

Yes I have far cry 4.

You sir are awesome! Really looking forward to seeing that. So I did some testing myself last night because the last couple times I noticed TLOU would take longer to finally reach the constant rpm I was talking about. You can also test this by going in to the options and turning on the 30fps mark. If the fan doesn't immediately go down when you switch it on then you're at the constant rpm. Last night it finally reached that point almost an hour in to playing, but also I noticed the fan revved higher than usual before that point. So, just on a whim I decided to try rebuilding the database. Not sure if it meant much of anything but it only took between 15-20 minutes before reaching the constant rpm. Will do more tonight to really see if it did any good.

iBlue

No release date as of yet. I got a 1100 model and I love it, no regrets. It's up to you if you think the minor changes are worth waiting for.

I just want my PS4 to work perfectly, dont wanna deal with the issues that i stated before.

OCD Guy

Thanks, I'm looking forward to this.

I've just done two videos that I'm uploading to YouTube, one is the console just idling on the xmb so you can get an idea of fan noise whilst idling, the second one was the console after multi-tasking for about 10minutes, I.e pressing the playstation button without shutting the game down, I also filmed the fan returning to idle once I exit out of the game,

The only issues with the videos is they're not great quality, but it's more for the sound.

Will update this post with links, and am filming some videos whilst in game too.

Elandyll

Banned
Oh well then there's no point waiting then lol.

I was just expecting a price cut to $349 this year after all those rumors....I didn't miss an E3 2015 announcement from Sony right?

Also all the last of us remastered packs seem to be gone; I prefer that over the Arkham one ):

Don't listen to him... 2016 Holidays?

The chance of Sony going -3 years- without a single price cut is almost 0.

Unless you would like one relatively rapidly, a price cut ($50 or imo $100 more likely) could be announced any time between Gamescom (8/5-8/9) and PGW (10/28).

SpyGuy239

Don't listen to him... 2016 Holidays?

The chance of Sony going -3 years- without a single price cut is almost 0.

Unless you would like one relatively rapidly, a price cut ($50 or imo $100 more likely) could be announced any time between Gamescom (8/5-8/9) and PGW (10/28).

Thank you. Very informative. Looks like I will wait until PGW at least.

Drackhorn

I've just done two videos that I'm uploading to YouTube, one is the console just idling on the xmb so you can get an idea of fan noise whilst idling, the second one was the console after multi-tasking for about 10minutes, I.e pressing the playstation button without shutting the game down, I also filmed the fan returning to idle once I exit out of the game,

The only issues with the videos is they're not great quality, but it's more for the sound.

Will update this post with links, and am filming some videos whilst in game too.

Appreciated greatly.

knerl

Appreciated indeed, but I'd still like to see and hear what it's like after at least 15 min in one of the games I mentioned earlier. While actually running a level with a decent amount of intensity going on.

No, it's just a relatively minor revision, resulting in slightly lower power consumption. And also, the console is 10% lighter now.

But on the outside it's exactly the same.

Planet

I have an easier fan speedup test: just start Rocket League and when the main menu is up, hit the PS button to bring back the system menu. This makes my fan go nuts in a minute.

Is it silly of me that I'm waiting for a US announcement of this model in the hopes that the original versions will go on sale for $350 and I can snag one up? I'm close to jumping on a PS4, but I feel the moment I do there'll either be some ubiquitous sale that I could have saved a few bucks waiting for. :\

Does anyone know why so far no announcement has been made for the US?

Resseh

Any chance you can check the speed of the HDD please? Just wondering if it's faster due to change in the architectre

big_z

Yes I have far cry 4.

no stay out of the xmb when a game is running. here ill copy the steps from an older post with pictures showing the menus.

-go into a weapons shop and go into the options menu wait a minute or two for the fan to slow.
-now exit the options and talk to the merchant and view a weapon so its model is displayed. wait a few minutes. this stressed the ps4 like crazy.

does the ps4 still go into jet mode when doing this?

Is it silly of me that I'm waiting for a US announcement of this model in the hopes that the original versions will go on sale for $350 and I can snag one up? I'm close to jumping on a PS4, but I feel the moment I do there'll either be some ubiquitous sale that I could have saved a few bucks waiting for. :\

Does anyone know why so far no announcement has been made for the US?

Even if/when they do announce, I don't think they're going to actively try to clear out the old model with a temp price drop. I think they're just going to put these into the channel and attempt to sell out the old model naturally.

Intel_89

Can someone get me the source that states that the MGS one is going to be the 1200 model? Thanks in advance, I can't make up my mind between getting the 1TB old model now or the new 500GB one.

iBlue

So the new 1TB model will be like original one just with more space? In that case I think I should wait for the 500gb 1200 model

OCD Guy

EDIT:ignore them, the sound quality is absolute shit. For some reason the microphone is picking up lots of noise

Right I've got a couple of quick videos here, but the sound quality is awful,

Before I go and make a shit load more showing what people are asking, is the quality satisfactory enough?

Ignore the image quality, and shaky recording, I go from TV to console to show what the ps4 is doing.

First is idle on xmbhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eHqbCp8Xurc

Second is in xmb while infamous second son has been on for around 30 minutes https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=synzH7wN_fg

knerl

All I can hear is some of your clothes causing friction at one point. Dead silent otherwise. From what you've experienced so far is this what it's like in all games?

OCD Guy

I have an easier fan speedup test: just start Rocket League and when the main menu is up, hit the PS button to bring back the system menu. This makes my fan go nuts in a minute.

Here you go.

Video shows main menu, then system menu.

Rocket league https://youtu.be/0PueqlB_ZJI

All I can hear is some of your clothes causing friction at one point. Dead silent otherwise. From what you've experienced so far is this what it's like in all games?

The fan still ramps up on the same games that caused my previous ps4s to ramp up, so Killzone, infamous, etc at the same points but it doesn't reach the same levels. So it remains very quiet.

But if you put your ear by the console while idling to get an idea of the sound, and then later on after an hour or so playing an intensive game put your ear next to the console you can clearly hear that the fan has increased its rpm.

The key thing though is you need to put your ear next to it, my previous console you could hear from 6 feet away when the fan ramped up.

Honestly at normal seating distance, if I mute everything I hear nothing at all. I need to go right next to the console.

Planet

Thanks, but I really can't judge anything from that video.

How is your subjective experience? Do you even notice the fan speeding up when the XMB is up with RL in background? Or is it even annoying?

EDIT: OK, you basically described it already in an edit. Sounds like the PS4 just got a whole lot better, even though the old model is far from unusable.

UK GAFFERS:
just spoke to the support at shop to, if you're interested in their (rather great) ps4, two games & 3 months of PSN deal, it does not feature the new CUH-1200 models. just a heads up!

OCD Guy

Thanks, but I really can't judge anything from that video.

How is your subjective experience? Do you even notice the fan speeding up when the XMB is up with RL in background? Or is it even annoying?

No it's not annoying at all, from my viewing distance of 6ft I can't hear the console at all.

My previous ps4s were audible from 6ft, they honestly sounded like a hairdryer on a low setting.

I need to go up close to the ps4 to hear anything. The fan does clearly go up when doing anything intensive, so when going to the main menu while a game is in the background clearly causes the fan to increase in rpm, but the level it reaches is nowhere near the level it reached on my other consoles.

I appreciate my videos are shit, there is too much background noise the mic seems to be picking up. I could do a decibel reading and film that if that's more informative?

mango_ash

Neo Member
It's worth mentioning where you live..

btw, to those who've spotted this new version in Europe, how much did it cost?
The 1TB is currently priced €390 in the Netherlands, so from a sales perspective i think it would be strange if the new ps4 isn't cheaper.

Top Bottom