• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Patent Says One of the Most Annoying Gamer Gripes Could Disappear.

LostDonkey

As a smoker (well I vape and smoke joints), I actually appreciate reasonable loading times.

Everyone's been complaining about CTR loads, but to me they are just long enough and correctly spaced for me to get in some vapes before and after each race. If I had to pause the action manually, maybe I'd take longer or check my phone or something, but small little load times are perfect for me to just grab a quick vape and get back into the action.

So, what you youre actually saying is, no load times means no time for vaping or smoking

Sony helps people stop smoking.

This is fantastic news!!

Nymphae

Banned
So, what you youre actually saying is, no load times means no time for vaping or smoking

As I mentioned, If there were no load times at all I would simply be manually pausing at a time of my choosing, and likely taking longer breaks. Reasonable load times give me just enough time to grab a vape before being forced back into the action.

oldergamer

First, this was filed in 2009

Second, I don't think it relates to PS5.

Third, did anyone check what the actual patent linked to in the article says?

"Rewarding classes of purchasers

Abstract
Rewarding a first classification of purchasers of digital media is provided. Such a classification may include initial purchasers (e.g., purchasers of new items) and secondary purchasers (e.g., purchasers of previously used items). A digital medium is played on a digital device and a notification is sent to a server. The server identifies the user of the digital device based on a unique device identifier associated with the digital device and a stored association of that digital device with the user. The user is determined to belong to the first classification of purchasers of the digital medium based on a unique identifier associated with the digital medium. The user, belonging to the first classification of purchasers, is provided with access to a reward that is not generally accessible to users belonging to a second classification. Users that are identified as belonging to the second classification may be offered a chance to upgrade their classification and access the reward."

Forth, addressing the topic, any sort of directional pre-loading is clearly what games that stream large amounts of data are already doing to prevent load screens. Just look at how large the world is in GTA. I'm not certain there is anything in there that hasn't already been accomplished.

so the same objective as Microsoft? As more and more news is released it seems next gen is par for the course, xbox and ps5 with basically the same architecture, minor differences, and Nintendo being...Nintendo

ruvikx

Banned
Give me a stable framerate first. Loading times are a long way down the list of what needs fixing & improving.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see how that can work universally across games and engines since they can have vastly different ways in which they handle data streaming/loading and what is required to remain in memory for the whole to function.

But the SSD alone will help loads with that if it's big enough to fit all your currently played games.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

So much eye rolling needed in this thread....
Nobody patents general goals! They patent very specific ways to achieve those goals, meaning MANY other ways (patented or not) might exist with the same purpose.
Saying stuff like "the ps2 already did that" are some of the dumbest comments I have read in this site.

sublimit

Banned
Another pointless PR stunt.
This is basically them saying "hey guys instead of 4 horses this time the carriage will have 12 horses so it will be much faster!!" But then the developers will look at that and say: "12 horses huh?What if we put weight for 18 horses instead?!"
The carriage will always move fast or slow regardless of horse power because at the end of the day loading times is a developer problem not the hardware's.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nobody patents general goals! They patent very specific ways to achieve those goals, meaning MANY other ways (patented or not) might exist with the same purpose.
Saying stuff like "the ps2 already did that" are some of the dumbest comments I have read in this site.

Exactly! I don't think some of these people know how patents work.

Hexa

Exactly! I don't think some of these people know how patents work.

LMAO. This patent isn't for PS5. It's for PS2. Sony filed it in 2001 for PS2. The figures literally have a PS2. Which makes sense because as people have been saying similar tech has been used since then. You should maybe know what you're talking about before criticizing others.

First, this was filed in 2009

Second, I don't think it relates to PS5.

Third, did anyone check what the actual patent linked to in the article says?

"Rewarding classes of purchasers

Abstract
Rewarding a first classification of purchasers of digital media is provided. Such a classification may include initial purchasers (e.g., purchasers of new items) and secondary purchasers (e.g., purchasers of previously used items). A digital medium is played on a digital device and a notification is sent to a server. The server identifies the user of the digital device based on a unique device identifier associated with the digital device and a stored association of that digital device with the user. The user is determined to belong to the first classification of purchasers of the digital medium based on a unique identifier associated with the digital medium. The user, belonging to the first classification of purchasers, is provided with access to a reward that is not generally accessible to users belonging to a second classification. Users that are identified as belonging to the second classification may be offered a chance to upgrade their classification and access the reward."

Forth, addressing the topic, any sort of directional pre-loading is clearly what games that stream large amounts of data are already doing to prevent load screens. Just look at how large the world is in GTA. I'm not certain there is anything in there that hasn't already been accomplished.

The patent they meant to link is https://patents.google.com/patent/US10322347B2/en?oq=10322347 . It actually goes back to 2001. Your main point about tech like it being common is absolutely true though.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
As a gamer that focuses on a game while I play it I think this is something great if true.

V4skunk

Banned
This isn’t talking about SSD. It’s talking about detecting how to break games down into smaller parts so it continually loads as you play. (Like what God of War/Uncharted does but on a global scale)
Just means speed runners will break games in some crazy ways really.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Ykno I don't like loading screens but unless they are super long then I don't really care. Very disappointing that this is what everyone is talking about when it comes to next gen and not improved CPU or GPU processing power.

Yes an SSD is nice but it'll just be a small capacity one for the OS and maybe a few games. Most games will be stored on a HDD.

I'm less bothered by in-game transitional load times with most games than I am by how effing long it can sometimes take to get into a game. Time it takes booting the game up, getting through the logos, intro video/animation, slow menu starts, loading between different menu screens, etc.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Starter Edition %.5 Load Reduction Edition: $4.99/month
Bronze Edition %.50 Load Reduction Edition: $14.99/month
Gold Elite Fast-Load %.75 Reduction Premium Founder Edition: $19.99/month
Platinum %100 Insta-Load Ultra Response Bend Over And Take It Like a Bitch We Patented This Shit To Eventually Charge People Champion ROFLOL Edition: $24.99/month

Pre-order now.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm less bothered by in-game transitional load times with most games than I am by how effing long it can sometimes take to get into a game. Time it takes booting the game up, getting through the logos, intro video/animation, slow menu starts, loading between different menu screens, etc.
So true.

Add unskippable cut-scenes and credit intros to it too.

The old shameless self promotion ads..... something only media companies do.

You can buy the best car in the world, and you won't see one mandatory dashboard intro or self serving "the car was designed by these people in the lab" BS.

Buy a 3-line poem for 2 cents and you'll see the writer's named plastered in plain view.

Ar¢tos

LMAO. This patent isn't for PS5. It's for PS2. Sony filed it in 2001 for PS2. The figures literally have a PS2. Which makes sense because as people have been saying similar tech has been used since then. You should maybe know what you're talking about before criticizing others.

The patent they meant to link is https://patents.google.com/patent/US10322347B2/en?oq=10322347 . It actually goes back to 2001. Your main point about tech like it being common is absolutely true though.
The criticism is still valid.
If you look at the thread about Sony patent for a new "type" of SSD with a custom controller and file system designed for max reading speeds and removing loading times (that might or not be used next gen), you will find tons of ridiculous and stupid comments saying that some Xbox games already don't have loading times, totally missing the point of the patent.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sony’s new system achieves this by splitting games up into a kind of jigsaw puzzle. Whenever a player steps into one of the pieces, or areas, the adjacent pieces will load automatically in the background in case the player chooses to travel in that direction.
This is patentable? This is a pretty obvious technique and also an intermediate step to my current culling solution for my game (luckily I changed it now though, to overlapping areas.

Top Bottom