• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Punch-Out Trailer (Wii)

Alcibiades

Zoramon089 said:
What exactly makes something like Fight Night warrant the $50 cost but not Punchout?
Not that Fight Night warrants $50 (personally I wouldn't pay $10), but it's clear which one got the higher budget and more work put into it...

That said, these things are always complicated when deciding how much a game is worth. Many people find GTA: China Wars more fun that GTA4, but if it was $60 would people still be willing to pay even if the consensus was that it was "more fun"?

I know personally I'd be much more willing to pay $50 for a game from the talented Platinum Studios that had 20 members and a small budget than I would for a game from EA that had 50 member and a large budget (in general of course). I'd also be more likely to be willing to pay $50 for a AAA Blockbuster Nintendo game than a small, quirky, but highly-rated game from the same EAD.

Still, it's not clear to me how much "more fun" Punch-Out is than Fight Night and that will determine a lot. If the game gets 9's and 10's across the board while Fight Night gets 4's and 5's, even with the bigger resources that make Fight Night a more "blockbuster"-type game Punch-Out would be worthier (to me). But if they both get 7-8's yet one obviously had more work put into it, then it could make a different to someone on which to spend full-price on (as a non-boxing fan I'll probably always prefer Punch-Out but I'm talking about people in general here).

It really is quite complicated how eventual purchases come about to some people - for some fun trumps everything, for others experience and atmosphere do (sort of like how some people enjoy somber or weird movies that aren't very fun), for others it's that "blockbuster" quality that games with great visuals and presentation have...

Just because you have two games in the same genre (boxing/sports) doesn't mean they warrant equal perceived value.

I know personally I'd be much more willing to pay $50 for a game from the talented Platinum Studios that had 20 members and a small budget than I would for a game from EA that had 50 member and a large budget (in general of course). I'd also be more likely to be willing to pay $50 for a AAA Blockbuster Nintendo game than a small, quirky, but highly-rated game from the same EAD.

jesus

jesus

Alcibiades

BrandNew said:
jesus

jesus
heh in general of course... I'm kinda just throwing hypotheticals out there since I haven't really thought this out in the sense that I don't really have THAT system for making purchases (usually I wait for price drops on everything), but in terms of what I've plunked full price for it has usually been Nintendo's major titles (Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, etc...) - and that's only if I know I'm gonna have time for it...

maybe it's not fair to the smaller games but for some reason I just haven't felt compelled to spend $50 on smaller games IN GENERAL... not fair perhaps, but I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Top Bottom