• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Punch-Out Trailer (Wii)

MoogPaul

But Mejilan, you forgot lean left and right to dodge. Ducking on the board should redistribute your weight to be more focused so it should be able to work this way but for some reason, I think they'll go with stepping off the board maybe?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I didn't forget the BB. I just completely ignored it. Kinda like I've done ever since the day I played Wii Fitness for the last time. Consequently, that was the same day it came out here in the US.

radcliff

MoogPaul said:
So what's the deal with Next Level Games? Are they still 3rd party? They called themselves an in house developer.

I think it was Kensuke Tenabe who said that. He is head of SPD 3 at Nintendo (making his group internal). He typically works with 3rd parties on Nintendo IPs.

ElFly

Minsc said:
Even with BB support, I'm thinking along these lines, and since it's a first party Nintendo game, price will probably never get that low.

Unless somehow, there's more than 2 hours of game to this, I really don't see spending $50 on it.

This is almost as bad as Animal Crossing. Ok not really, but 3 new people? They should have introduced like 15 new boxers. At least the graphics got a nice overhaul, unlike Animal Crossing.

It's not like they reused the sprites of NES Punch Out, or the code or anything.

It was a full game back in the NES days, and I don't see why it wouldn't be now.

MoogPaul

icn11

from the evil nintendo website that goes places. Controller mapping of Punch Out!!!

edit: looks like you can star punch from the south paw this time around. excitement.

Ganondorfo

I am one of the few people in the world who hasn't played the original punch out on nes, but is the sequel (super punch out snes) hated by the fans?

Because I really liked that, even if it didn't had mike tyson as the final boss (I didn't play punch out nes, but I saw recently some youtube videos and was surprised to see mike tyson as the final boss lol).

There were so many iconic characters in super punch out (dragon chan, sandman, kagero, mad clown and the bruiser brothers). I am thinking that none of these characters were in the original punch out.

This trailer doesn't give me the vibe of super punch out, but we will see.

Cipherr

Ganondorfo said:
I am one of the few people in the world who hasn't played the original punch out on nes, but is the sequel (super punch out snes) hated by the fans?

Because I really liked that, even if it didn't had mike tyson as the final boss (I didn't play punch out nes, but I saw recently some youtube videos and was surprised to see mike tyson as the final boss lol).

There were so many iconic characters in super punch out (dragon chan, sandman, kagero, mad clown and the bruiser brothers). I am thinking that none of these characters were in the original punch out.

This trailer doesn't give me the vibe of super punch out, but we will see.

Sandman was in 1. I never got to him when I was younger Soda Popinski was my bottlekneck and Ive never gone back. Just gonna leave the nostlagia in tact. But yeah SPO was really fun. Loved it.

gkryhewy

Mejilan said:
I didn't forget the BB. I just completely ignored it. Kinda like I've done ever since the day I played Wii Fitness for the last time. Consequently, that was the same day it came out here in the US.

I am duly impressed by your hardcoreness and stoic rejection of the balance board peripheral.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
xs_mini_neo said:
Grrrr, game length does not determine value.

It does, to an extent.

Imagine buying a $50 video game with exactly 15 minutes of gameplay.

We have certain minimal expectations for length with video games; games with LESS than those minimal expectations are expected to be released at a reduced price.

I want this new Punch-Out!!, but I fully agree that I'd GENERALLY find WiiWare to be a better medium for a modern day Punch-Out!! game, unless there was some radical working of the formula.

Alcibiades

DavidDayton said:
It does, to an extent.

We have certain minimal expectations for length with video games; games with LESS than those minimal expectations are expected to be released at a reduced price.

I agree, game length does not determine value in itself, but it's part of it for many people.

Also, there are many "minimal expectations" (sometimes easy to articulate, sometimes not) among many game buyers. For example, as good as games like Boom Blox and HOTD: Overkill are, something about them not being epic, grand adventures kept some "core" gamers frombuy them when plunking down $50 for Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3 was no problem.

Puzzle games for many don't fall into the expectations of what some are willing to pay $50 for no matter how good it is. I can definitely imagine for many a game like Punch Out falling into that. If a game is getting 9's and 10's across the board and it really falls into something one is passionate for, then the type and scale of a game that is smaller in scope may still be worth $50.

It really all depends, and for everyone that concept of value is different. Usually, traditional games (if they turn out great) selling really well at full-price happen to have from the development standpoint: large teams and budgets, and long development times. It's no accident that games given these resources usually turn into "blockbuster" games with more "depth" and "scale" than the usual game. Take for example Nintendo's "core" titles - the ones that sold really well at full-price had lots of development resources behind them. The ones that didn't (Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars 2, Wario Land, etc...) definitely didn't sell as much (although certainly adventures games are more popular in general that the genres of those titles).

Punch-Out may be an excellent title, but for many it's just not gonna reach the level of value one expects for $50, just like many are waiting for a price drop on HOTD: Overkill.

DavidDayton said:
It does, to an extent.

I want this new Punch-Out!!, but I fully agree that I'd GENERALLY find WiiWare to be a better medium for a modern day Punch-Out!! game, unless there was some radical working of the formula.

People paid full price for Tetris, and it was awesome. Other short games people ate up at full price: Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter series, Contra, Super Mario Sunshi--nah, I kid. lol The original Punch out was hard. Even if there aren't 30 people to challenge, the difficulty alone could jack up the playtime into several hours.

I'm not saying all games should be short. I'm talking about games that are short due to their nature/genre. How many people replayed the crap out of Street Fighter, Tetris and Mario games? If it is something like an RPG, then yeah people won't pay 50-60 for a five hour game. Unless it was somehow amazing and perfect at that length... Chrono Trigger and the first Suikoden were both around 20 hours long, and yet they were/are both awesome. I love how Suikoden 1 always got straight to business and never shoved in any padding to increase length. Same with CT. On the other hand FFVI was long or short depending on how you played. the length of that one ranged from 15-80 hours or so, I think. I don't remember the fastest speed run...

Alcibiades

Tetris and Mario Bros. were revolutionary games that lay the foundation for many games that came afterwards...

Punch-Out Wii may be a good game but it's in a very different situation from those "short" games you cited.

jett said:
Eh? Punch-Out looks better than 99% of the garbage ninthings attempt to hype.

Not really, no. It looks exactly like what ninthings were hyping, twenty years ago. I'd rather buy Excitebots by a country mile.

pakkit

Banned
Details are still sparse. If this game really doesn't have anything beyond a 2 hour single player component and multiplayer, I might not pick it up. But developer comments said they were the first Nintendo dev to struggle with the DVD size. Nintendo may have started rereleasing 6 year old products in the form of NPC on Wii, but I doubt they'd release a 15 year old game with only aesthetic improvements (and multiplayer).

DDayton

xs_mini_neo said:
People paid full price for Tetris, and it was awesome. Other short games people ate up at full price: Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter series, Contra, Super Mario Sunshi--nah, I kid. lol The original Punch out was hard. Even if there aren't 30 people to challenge, the difficulty alone could jack up the playtime into several hours.

It's also not the 80s or even the early 90s. There is an expectation of MORE than a short arcade game in modern games, at least if they title is being sold at the full price.

Once again, I'm not saying that "short games are bad" -- I'm saying that short games should NOT be sold for the same price as standard-length/content games.

Replay value does make up for some of it, yes, but again, a insanely short or limited game can't be defended. I don't believe Punch-Out!! will be either of those two, but the nature of Punch-Out!! (an arcade boxing title) and the "13 fighters" thing isn't exactly a heartening concept.

I'm not saying all games should be short. I'm talking about games that are short due to their nature/genre. How many people replayed the crap out of Street Fighter, Tetris and Mario games? . . . and never shoved in any padding to increase length.

PADDING is always bad, as that refers to random junk tossed in to bulk up a game's length without really adding any content of note.

I don't want "padding" in games. I want more real content... and, in the case of Punch-Out!!, I must insist on more than a grand total of 13 boxers.

If it helps, consider the fact that the Mario Kart games have gone from 20 SNES tracks and 16 N64 tracks to a larger number in the more recent games, done via the use of Retro tracks in the GBA, GC, DS, and Wii versions. The newer games have about twice as many tracks as the NES/SNES originals.

Punch-Out!!, to me, is set up in much the same manner as Mario Kart... multiple circuits of boxing with 3-4 boxers per circuit. I'd expect modern incarnations to have about TWICE as many boxers as the NES or SNES originals.

Luckily, the one interview implies hidden additional characters...

Mejilan

abstract alien said:
Id love for this game to have a remixed mode where all of the patterns are different and the fighters do a bit more damage.

Actually, I expect just that, in the form of multiple difficulty levels.

DavidDayton said:
It does, to an extent.

You're reaching by creating a hypothetical that doesn't exist.

Game length isn't a static concept. Especially not when it pertains to an arcade game like Punch-Out. It doesn't suddenly stop having gameplay once you beat the final boss. The fun of this game is going back to play it and finding better ways to beat the characters. It's asinine to judge Punch-Out based on how long it takes to beat all the fighters.

And speak for yourself when you mention expected lengths. There is no defined length of any specific genre because it would be silly to put a limit to it, just like it would a movie. Any expectations come from inadvertant conditioning.

As for the character number. I'd rather have 13 well created characters that are very different, then 26 where half of them are boring and reptitive. I really can't imagine them making 26 great boxers for one game.

I only care about fun in a game. If a game is really fun I'll replay it over and over. I don't care how fast the main mode can be beat. You can't compare a game with an intricate storyline to an arcade game. It doesn't do anything to explain the fun of Punch-Out. Punch-Out isn't a game that has ever relied on the length. It's all about the replayability. And for me there is certainly 50 bucks worth of play in it.

Mejilan

Grabbed my PSP and ran to the crapper, then hit up some Punch Out!! for old time's sake. Man, this game has aged pretty damn well!

Punch Out!! is not like riding a bike. Skills can be lost. :/

jett

D-Member
Mejilan said:
Grabbed my PSP and ran to the crapper, then hit up some Punch Out!! for old time's sake. Man, this game has aged pretty damn well!

Punch Out!! is not like riding a bike. Skills can be lost. :/

Punch Out is really tough, much harder than its pussy sequel. :p

Feep

Banned
VistraNorrez said:
You're reaching by creating a hypothetical that doesn't exist.

Game length isn't a static concept. Especially not when it pertains to an arcade game like Punch-Out. It doesn't suddenly stop having gameplay once you beat the final boss. The fun of this game is going back to play it and finding better ways to beat the characters. It's asinine to judge Punch-Out based on how long it takes to beat all the fighters.

And speak for yourself when you mention expected lengths. There is no defined length of any specific genre because it would be silly to put a limit to it, just like it would a movie. Any expectations come from inadvertant conditioning.

As for the character number. I'd rather have 13 well created characters that are very different, then 26 where half of them are boring and reptitive. I really can't imagine them making 26 great boxers for one game.

I only care about fun in a game. If a game is really fun I'll replay it over and over. I don't care how fast the main mode can be beat. You can't compare a game with an intricate storyline to an arcade game. It doesn't do anything to explain the fun of Punch-Out. Punch-Out isn't a game that has ever relied on the length. It's all about the replayability. And for me there is certainly 50 bucks worth of play in it.
Indeed. This is why I get incensed with complaints of Mirror's Edge's length. The time trials and speed runs are the meat of that game, and I had far more fun with them that I did simply running through the story. It took me well over a hundred hours to get all 1000 achievement points, and I loved every minute.

jett

D-Member
EmCeeGramr said:
I don't know what it is, but IGN's version of the video is a lot better quality all of a sudden: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14266716/punch-out/videos/punchout_trailer_032309.html

Like they actually got the full-resolution video instead of just capturing it from the Nintendo Channel stream like everyone else.

Better enough for me to make an improvement, anyway:
s4uqfa.gif

Now that it's in higher quality it's pretty clear to me the cut-scenes are offline rendered. Maybe that's why the devs keep going on that they're filling up the DVD. :p

Do people not like super punch out because of some of the odd ball boxers, the mechanics, or both? I guess i can understand not liking some of the boxers(even though punchout has NEVER been realistic in the slightest), but mechanically, I just dont understand.

jett

D-Member
abstract alien said:
Do people not like super punch out because of some of the odd ball boxers, the mechanics, or both? I guess i can understand not liking some of the boxers(even though punchout has NEVER been realistic in the slightest), but mechanically, I just dont understand.

I personally love Super Punch-Out, the patterns are easier to figure out and exploit though.

Nicktals

Banned
Does it look like the bike scene is interactive? It seems like little Mac's stride is being influenced in some way.

Maybe it's just the way it's shot, and the small snippet we have of it...but he's definitely changing speeds/accelerating....

jett

D-Member
Nicktals said:
Does it look like the bike scene is interactive? It seems like little Mac's stride is being influenced in some way.

Maybe it's just the way it's shot, and the small snippet we have of it...but he's definitely changing speeds/accelerating....

The film-quality motion blur means its a video, so nope.

jett said:
I personally love Super Punch-Out, the patterns are easier to figure out and exploit though.
I found it about the same to be honest. I guess it would be considered easier since it plays similar to the original, so we had the knowledge of how it plays already...but it still felt so good. Knocking Piston Hurricane out in like 5.54 seconds(or whatever it was) on time attack was so damn fun.

DDayton

VistraNorrez said:
I'm judging it based on the NUMBER of fighters, and thus the number of potential challenges in the game. If there are really only 13 fighters, that seems far too skimpy. However, the German interview thing DID say there were hidden characters, so...

While that is true, I'd find it hard to believe that you couldn't come up with a consensus on a range of lengths that were generally considered to be "too short." You can't claim that there is NO expected length for a game... a full price game with 30 minutes of gameplay would be perceived as a rather poor game. Not that that is the case with Punch-Out!!, mind you, but there are minimal expectations of game length.

I'm not entirely sure the majority of consumers would agree with you in this day and age, but we shall see. I'm just hoping there is enough gameplay in the new Punch-Out!!, as it certainly has the style and NES action in abundance.

nyprimus2

OK. I can't start threads yet but this has been bugging the shit out of me.

I believe within a year or two at the most I saw a fan made video based on the original Punch Out. It's like a little kid who is trying to beat it with his buddies and there is a bully and stuff and at the end his friends are cheering him on to beat the game. He finally beats it at the end. This all I could remember. It is 10-15 minutes long? It had production values of a very well done short film. I need to find this.

nyprimus2 said:
OK. I can't start threads yet but this has been bugging the shit out of me.

I believe within a year or two at the most I saw a fan made video based on the original Punch Out. It's like a little kid who is trying to beat it with his buddies and there is a bully and stuff and at the end his friends are cheering him on to beat the game. He finally beats it at the end. This all I could remember. It is 10-15 minutes long? It had production values of a very well done short film. I need to find this.
Thanks to google...this?

DavidDayton said:
It does, to an extent.

What exactly makes something like Fight Night warrant the $50 cost but not Punchout?

Top Bottom