• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Punch-Out Trailer (Wii)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
What would be -amazing- is if the 13 boxers were all in the first ____ of the game... the credits roll, then you end up in the "SUPER World Video Game Boxing Association", complete with 13 new boxers.

pakkit

Banned
DavidDayton said:
What would be -amazing- is if the 13 boxers were all in the first ____ of the game... the credits roll, then you end up in the "SUPER World Video Game Boxing Association", complete with 13 new boxers.
But I'm not sure if Punch-Out could survive IGN's 3.9 rating.

turk128

Wow, so much awesome.

And...
punch3.gif

=
16bxcph.jpg

Nicktals

Banned
pakkit said:
But I'm not sure if Punch-Out could survive IGN's 3.9 rating.

:lol

okay, but i don't want this to end up being perpetuated as some huge fuck-up by Matt. First of all, it's easy to miss. Second, the game really stinks for 90% of the game up to that point, and you can't blame him for not wanting to go complete ever last mission (to continue the story you need to select a mission, which is just mixed in with the rest of the ones you haven't completed). The game gets better, but seriously...keep it a 3.9 so that SEGA can fix the pacing, so that you're playing and controlling a character that's fun, like sonic at the end of the game, compared to a complete migraine with shoes and a fancy blue costume.

Aaaanyways. I really wish two player had been enemy vs. enemy. Sure there would be serious balance issues, but who gives a fuck? Put the mode in there, please! I want to King Hippo pound a Bald Bull charge of my friend! Would be great to fool around, figure who can kick whose ass...

hell, give us the option to choose an enemy opponent and play through the circuits...come on, punch-out is kind of compelling because you're little mac. a wimp. Glass Joe is now known as being way more wimpy! Let me take glass joe and turn him into a champ!

Won't happen, but sounds fun to me.

So what does this mean? Will we be seeing more of Punch-Out during GDC? Perhaps at Iwata's keynote? That doesn't seem right, this isn't E3. Seems kinda strange for Nintendo to just toss out a short trailer for a game without fanfare the day before a non-major, development-focused conference. But then they did the same thing with Mario Galaxy, so I guess this is probably it. =/

[Nintex]

BrodiemanTTR said:
So what does this mean? Will we be seeing more of Punch-Out during GDC? Perhaps at Iwata's keynote? That doesn't seem right, this isn't E3. Seems kinda strange for Nintendo to just toss out a short trailer for a game without fanfare the day before a non-major, development-focused conference. But then they did the same thing with Mario Galaxy, so I guess this is probably it. =/
Nintendo and Microsoft obviously didn't get the memo, so far GDC has been pretty good with a new Punch-Out! trailer, Max Payne 3 announcement etc.

Agalloch

Oh yes! A true classic of my childhood,
i like the way Nintendo capture the original spirit of the prequels,
from a period where games are only pure fun and not Holliwood movies.
The only thing i don't like is my english.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Holy shit that trailer was awesome.

Love the latest rendition of the theme. Love the graphics. Love the animation. Love the clearly arcade-style gameplay of old. LOVE the bike.

It's odd, as there are times I feel Nintendo are truly disconnected from their old and new fans, and dont really know how to speak to them. Then shit like this comes out with such very, very obvious homages to the classics.

Bravo Nintendo.

tim1138

Hobbun said:
IGN gave Punch-Out! a 3.9 rating?? WTF?

They gave the new Sonic game for Wii a 3.9 and complained that it was too short. Apparently the game has a fake ending so when the credits rolled they turned it off and missed the whole 2nd half of the game. :lol

Hobbun

tim1138 said:
They gave the new Sonic game for Wii a 3.9 and complained that it was too short. Apparently the game has a fake ending so when the credits rolled they turned it off and missed the whole 2nd half of the game. :lol

Oh god, that's fucking awesome. :lol

Alcibiades

Hobbun said:
IGN gave Punch-Out! a 3.9 rating?? WTF?
In IGN's review of Sonic and the Black Knight they turned the game off as soon as they saw a fake ending and reviewed despite this mistake (found out when someone on a podcast mentioned how much they played and who had actually played the game figured out they missed the vast majority of it).

They haven't admitted their incompetence up to this point though.

Hobbun

Alcibiades said:
In IGN's review of Sonic and the Black Knight they turned the game off as soon as they saw a fake ending and reviewed despite this mistake (found out when someone on a podcast mentioned how much they played and who had actually played the game figured out they missed the vast majority of it).

They are NEVER going to live that down.

:lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alcibiades said:

That kind of shit would be so much easier to forgive if they just admitted they fucked up, retracted the review, and re-reviewed it in full.

I mean really, isn’t doing something like this also going against any contract signing in regards to getting a publisher like SEGA to send them the game for reviewal? I would imagine publishers kinda want their games reviewed properly.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm not sure the whole 3.9 thing as to do with how short they thought the game was, but as more to do with how much they hate the gameplay.

Nicktals

Banned
This is just what I didn't want to happen....They missed the final boss, and what, 3 main missions, and a handful of subpar side missions?

You act like this was half the game, and unless my memory is waaaay off, it's nowhere near. This is Sega's fault. If I hadn't heard of the fake ending I probably wouldn't have noticed either. More a fault of the pacing. The game does get better towards the end. But the beginning to that point, 90% of your time, is spent playing a terrible game. I would give it a 5 or so, and I've played the whole thing.

He should just add that he was in such a rush to be done with that shit that he had no idea there was more to it. Make these goofs happy by "admitting to his huuuge mistake he'll never live down", but I gurantee it would have effect on his score. There's never any real reason to use any of the other characters. I didn't, and I beat all the missions I believe, before I had to return it. If it had really been the "2nd half", maybe the pacing wouldn't have seemed so purely awful.

Oh, and you have to select one particular mission after getting the fake ending, and I believe 3 others are unlocked at the same time as that one. You could have as many as 5 or more missions that you still haven't played yet. So 8 or more open missions you haven't played yet...and you just finished a gaming marathon of a game that shows you it's absolute worst, up until the end....There is no marking or sign that there is anything special about that mission, or that it is in any way important or different than other side missions. The whole "oh he's never going to live this down!" thing is just preposterous. It was a shitty game and Matt missed out on the moderately less shitty true ending, and a couple missions, and experiencing truly superfluous unlockable characters.

EDIT: I'll add that it might even be lower...The game is more fun at the end because Sonic is no longer a tremendous blue chore to control, but it isn't until the last few areas that Sega displays just how clueless they are when it comes to fun, fluent level design. You don't make a game fun, and difficult, by building levels that force the player to fight with the controls in order not to die.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
wish there were some modern boxing menace tyson equivalent they could put at the end. it's easy to forget how unbeatable mike tyson seemed at the time the first game was released; he was as scary and powerful as any other video game villain, and the perfect cartoony character to cap off an entire cast of them.

linkboy said:
If King Hippo gets up at any point after knocking him down, I'm going to be pissed.

I want this game now.

But imagine knocking Hippo and at the count of 9 he gets up an says.
"Ha, ha, ha... You thought you get me, eh?!"

That would be a new twist and a tribute for the fans and would be awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SpacePirate Ridley said:
But imagine knocking Hippo and at the count of 9 he gets up an says.
"Ha, ha, ha... You thought you get me, eh?!"

That would be a new twist and a tribute for the fans and would be awesome.

or, keeping with the questionable caricature theme, a small band of pygmy tribesman hoist him back to his feet.

beelzebozo said:
wish there were some modern boxing menace tyson equivalent they could put at the end. it's easy to forget how unbeatable mike tyson seemed at the time the first game was released; he was as scary and powerful as any other video game villain, and the perfect cartoony character to cap off an entire cast of them.

The only thing the could add that rivals Tyson is Rocky. Yeah, he is not a real boxer, but we all know him, his awesome, he would be an awesome Punch-Out!! character, the saga is a tribute to his movies and the contract would not expire if he was in bad shape. It would also have sense as the last fight is a dream fight.

Imagine a caricature of Rocky shouting "Adrian!" at the protrait scene. Or giving the thaks to Mac at the end of the match (and thats something we know rocky wourld do).
It would be excellent.

or, keeping with the questionable caricature theme, a small band of pygmy tribesman hoist him back to his feet.
YES! :lol

Nicktals

Banned
beelzebozo said:

Or he eats several large pigs. Then rolls onto his stomach. Then propels himself to his feet with a powerful stream of vomit.

That would be awful. Don't do that Next Level. What you should do is allow us to play as all the characters, and fight any other character in multiplayer.

Oh, and light RPG elements.

EatChildren

Nicktals said:
What you should do is allow us to play as all the characters, and fight any other character in multiplayer.

Seems entirely possible, in my opinion.

Quixzlizx

TheKingsCrown said:
I played the original punch out when it came out, and I have yet to understand anyone who would want to play it NES style. But to each his own I guess. :)

Wat. This game would go from Day 1 to Day Never if I were forced to use waggle to play it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BrodiemanTTR said:
Just because a trailer hits during the GDC timeframe doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be at GDC.

Agalloch said:
....potentially the best post ever.

Hobbun

Quixzlizx said:
Wat. This game would go from Day 1 to Day Never if I were forced to use waggle to play it.

Same here.

I mean I will probably give the waggle a shot, to see how it plays. Who knows, maybe I will like it better? But if I didn't have the option to go back to the tried and true NES-style, I wouldn't be buying the game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Agalloch said:

proper english would only complicate this post. the point rings crystal clear:

punch-out!! rules.

Calcaneus

Man that looks amazing, Punch-Out was probably the first non-Mario game I ever played. And this looks like it fucking nails it, but you know what the most awesome thing about that trailer? The awesome music.

Nicktals

Banned
EatChildren said:
Seems entirely possible, in my opinion.

I thought someone said multiplayer was going to be little mac fighting against another little mac? Which, after having my idea in my head....seems like a severe disapointment...We'll see how it works. Won't it just be like Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots or something? Who knows, could be cool.

I would much rather get to play as opponents against other opponents. Ideally we could choose an opponent of little mac and go through the circuits with them. Upgrade punches, stamina, speed...learn a few new moves throughout the course of all the circuits...I really want to make glass joe into a champ.

The mode should only be unlocked after totally beating the game. Then a maxed out little mac takes the place of tyson for the dream bout.

EDIT: Anybody else wondering, or wanting to make a clone of the NES game, but retrofitted for two players where you can use any character? Don't make any changes to the moves or abilities...just to see how it works. Obviously Tyson would kick everyone's ass....except little mac in the hands of a pro, of course...simply because he doesn't have any tells.

GDGF

Soothsayer
beelzebozo said:

Yeah, there is never going to be a game that captures the magic of 'beating Mike Tyson' again. Hell, even if they put Mike Tyson in it again it wouldn't be the same.

Edit:WTF is up with my avatar?

methane47

Man.. game looks great, art, animation, humor, everything.............. EXCEPT!!! the knockout animations and sounds.. One of the things i loved MOST about Punchout were the over-the-top exaggerated knockdowns where the character would get scrunched up and slide from side to side to side with the ridiculous "WEEEUUUuuuuuwweeeEEEeeuuuuuu" sound effects... it was awesome and cracked me up everytime..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3tRs8IGno

The cinematic knockout is cool.. but I miss the old hotness.

Man that looks amazing, Punch-Out was probably the first non-Mario game I ever played. And this looks like it fucking nails it, but you know what the most awesome thing about that trailer? The awesome music.

in the First punchOut wasn't Mario the referee?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks hot as hell, glad to see Doc and the famous bike scene making the return... though I'll play classic-style, no waggle for me.

Masked Man

I said wow
methane47 said:
One of the things i loved MOST about Punchout were the over-the-top exaggerated knockdowns where the character would get scrunched up and slide from side to side to side with the ridiculous "WEEEUUUuuuuuwweeeEEEeeuuuuuu" sound effects... it was awesome and cracked me up everytime..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3tRs8IGno

The cinematic knockout is cool.. but I miss the old hotness.

I totally agree! The sounds of Punch-Out!! are indelibly etched into my memory, and I would love to see them make their glorious return on Wii--or at least in some capacity. The only knock-outs we have seen, though, have been part of a trailer for the game, leading me to wonder as to whether or not these are just cinematized for show.

Or maybe Nintendo--rather, NLG--will include a "retro" option by which players can play the game with classic controls (sideways Wiimote) and classic sound effects. :D

Vinci

Danish
Alcibiades said:

Someone should start a thread for 'Reviews That Fuck Up' and list the ones where they obviously missed something about the game or simply had no clue what the hell they were talking about. Yes, lots of subjectivity - but I'm primarily thinking of reviews like this. Hell, if GAF folks heard about the fake ending, shouldn't game journalists have known something about it?

I think:
1. Is only for the TKO's
or
2. Is only for the trailer.

And when he hits Von kaiser with out an special move, the character doesnt fly, maybe if the video continues he will do the walking backwards until he falls thingy.

BTW. There are 3 kinds of special, 1 star, 2 star, 3 stars. The one to Disco Kid is 3 stars and seems ultra powerfull.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That must be the least energetic version of the Punch-Out theme I've ever heard. What a pile a crap.

Animations and gameplay look great.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Things I hope are in this game:

Knock down sound effects. WOOWOWOWOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOWOWOWOOOOOOOOOO
Don Flamingos "MA MA MA"

Soda Popinskis giant penis.

RubxQub said:
That must be the least energetic version of the Punch-Out theme I've ever heard. What a pile a crap.

Animations and gameplay look great.

What the fuck are you talking about, is Punch-Out!! fighting theme Rocky style with trumpets. IMO is awesome.

Top Bottom