• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Punch-Out Trailer (Wii)

Looks awesome! Love the training vignettes.

Now just confirm Super Macho Man and Soda Popinski and I'll be set. It would be nice if they included the Arcade Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out heroes as a hidden characters/bosses and finally gave them names.

Salmon

41464024.gif

punch3.gif

Azure J

ShockingAlberto said:
Let's get this out of the way now

If you're only interested in how long a game takes you from beginning to credits, hit back and leave this thread. Don't click on any further Punch-Out threads. You will not like this Wii iteration, in all likelihood. It is at its core an arcade title and is more about how fast you can beat your opponent than whether you can.

Perfect. Absolutely perfect comment.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SonicMegaDrive said:
We gamers need to get out of this mindset.

This is the exact kind of thing that encourages developers to tack on needless, superfluous stuff in their games. Collect-a-thons, QTEs, boring and excessive dialogue, story, cut-scenes, and pretty much anything else that is thrown into a game to artificially enhance the length of a game with not-so-fun gameplay(or worse, non-gameplay).

It really IS OK for a game to be short. If you had a ball playing it, who cares how long it is? It's a boxing game, anyway! No doubt there will be multiple modes to choose from that will give you different ways to go through the game.

Let me better explain what I meant to say...

I don't object to "short but sweet" games. I merely object to paying the same price for them as I do for Super Mario Galaxy.

That is the only reason why I previously posited that Punch-Out!! might be far better as a WiiWare game than a retail one.

Granted, a $20-$30 retail release would be nice too, but I doubt it.

Then again, we are getting Exitebots for $40...

(...and I share your disdain for games with tacked on junk... and that's part of my fear about the versus mode.)

People complaining about the length of the game have no idea what they're talking about. It doesn't matter if the game is "short" providing that it has something called "replay value." Believe it or not, there used to be a time in which people actually used to play through a game more than once. I'm sure Nintendo could have easily extended the length of each fight to twelve rounds in an effort to artifically lengthen the game, but that certainly wouldn't make it a better game.

Davey Cakes

If anything, a combination of the replayability aspect of older games with the added features of newer games would hit the sweetspot for a game like this. Just think of how Inti Creates took Mega Man 9, a game that was already as fun and replayable as its predecessors, and then added in a challenge/achievement system.

Games can be short and replayable to justify their price tags rather than being overlong and packed with unnecessary features.

This is an angle that I would like to see more developers take, especially on Wii.

Zachack

Rash said:
If anything, a combination of the replayability aspect of older games with the added features of newer games would hit the sweetspot for a game like this. Just think of how Inti Creates took Mega Man 9, a game that was already as fun and replayable as its predecessors, and then added in a challenge/achievement system.
And charged $10. I've been trying to think of a Nintendo game in the last few years that didn't have padding and all I can come up with is Excite Truck, and that's questionable.

Neomoto

Now this is a game that doesn't need any words, reviews or whatever to win you over. It looks fucking awesome and it will play fucking awesome.

With this and Excitebots for my arcade excite in a relatively short amount of time makes my heart skip a beat. :)

Gunloc said:
Looks awesome! Love the training vignettes.

Now just confirm Super Macho Man and Soda Popinski and I'll be set. It would be nice if they included the Arcade Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out heroes as a hidden characters/bosses and finally gave them names.

There were confirmed by the ESRB.

Punch-Out!!

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief

Rating summary: This is a boxing game in which players compete in boxing matches against a cast of colorful, fictional characters. While players can use standard boxing moves (jabs, hooks, uppercuts), most fights are performed in a comical fashion with an assortment of "dizzy stars," "cartoony" sound effects, and slapstick signature moves (e.g., growling, dropping shorts, conking oneself on the head, twirling, etc.). Boxers' faces show lumps and bruises after taking damage, and some knockouts are depicted in slow motion as players are sent flying across the canvass. One character flexes his pectoral and glute muscles prior to a fight, while another boxer belches during a cutscene.

Super Macho Man and Soda Popinski respectively.
Also all the classics are confirmed plus 3 new (in the Nintenpo european web)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Also all the classics are confirmed plus 3 new (in the Nintenpo european web)
You mean all the classics minus Tyson/Mr. Dream, right? Counting that would be 11, and 3 new fighters would up the opponent count to 14.

I hate that red flash, but other than that Im lovin it :D
The hits dont sound as impactful as super punchout, but then again they were drowned by the trailer music a bit, so its all good. Either way, this looks nice, and I love how the characters still do the whole "side to side" deal when they are being hit.

classic

Edit: Was the guy from Super Punchout supposed to be mac? If not, it would be awesome if he was a fighter in the upper ranks.

Salmon said:

Salmon said:
I love gaf :lol

Shit did they replace Don Flamenco with Disco Kid?! It looks like Disco Kid is doing the Don Flamenco uppercut. And Little Mac is using the left, right, left, right, repeat jabs. Nooooooo!

punch3.gif

*Edit: woah spelling mistake.

Next Level Games have done an excellent job with Disco Kid, if I dindt had play original Punch-Out!! 1 million times, I would think it was created for the NES.
Awesome dance. :lol

XiaNaphryz said:
You mean all the classics minus Tyson/Mr. Dream, right? Counting that would be 11, and 3 new fighters would up the opponent count to 14.

No, 13. I think that Mr Dream will have a new design to change it and be better. So 10 + 3. One of them is Disco Kid.

Eaten By A Grue said:
Shit did they replace Don Flamingo with Disco Kid?! It looks like they have the same moves. Nooooooo!
No, the 10 classics are back, and Don -awesome- Flamenco was in the info of the Official Nintendo European webs.
And no, Disco Kid has not the same moves as Don Flamenco. Don Flamenco moved the arms wanting a punch of you so he could counter attack, Disco Kid only dances.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
No, the 10 classics are back, and Don -awesome- Flamenco was in the info of the Official Nintendo European webs.
And no, Disco Kid has not the same moves as Don Flamenco. Don Flamenco moved the arms wanting a punch of you so he could counter attack, Disco Kid only dances.
Well that is a relief.

It has been so long since I purchased a Wii game. The last one I purchased was Brawl. :lol

Eaten By A Grue said:
Well that is a relief.

It has been so long since I purchased a Wii game. The last one I purchased was Brawl. :lol
DAMN! :lol Well, i hope its as good as you hope, otherwise your wii may be taken to the backyard and put down.

Man this looks fantastic, they really seem to understand what made the old ones awesome.

Can't wait!!!

(lol @ the bike stealing). :p

The fan service to old players of the original in that trailer was just mind-blowing, wow!

DOWAAAAAAAAANT.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Silent_Echo said:
kassatsu said:
Not sure why this is so funny to you. They just recently announced a 2 player mode so it's not out of the question. Online leaderboards would be a great addition.

He must be retarded or something.
Not saying onlne will 100% be in there, far from that, but Next Level's Mario Strikers was the FIRST Nintendo Wii game EVER to boost a "real" Online multiplayer component.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
YESSSSS! WIN! A new Punch Out!! baby. And it looks so damn awesome. Man I so want this game right now. I'm gonna play this over and over like the original back in the day.

mclem

Valtor said:
IGN said:
NOE also confirmed that the title will boast 13 playable fighters -- roughly three more than the original. And it will also include Doc Louis.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/964/964846p1.html

This makes me sad :\

I mean, half of them will be beat in half an hour tops? Then we get half a game? Sorry to be raining on the love parade, but that kinda sucks.

BTW, I'm pretty sure multiplayer was confirmed, so there's that! And wifi would be nice for leaderboards and things like that.

Um. I think you may be missing something significant. Although it may just be IGN phrasing things confusingly:

PLAYABLE?!?

Now, I generally use that term to mean you can play *as* them, not as you can play *against* them (isn't it common to say that Sagat et al are not 'playable' in vanilla SF2 and they become playable in the later evolutions?)

Knocks

SpacePirate Ridley said:
This game needed voice overs for the quotes, not nintendo grunts. And im actually liking Kaisers, Mac and Doc's voices.

I'm talking about in-game grunts. They sound bad.

Cobra84

demolitiongc1 said:
So as someone who has never played any punch-out game, which game is better? Punch-out or Super Punch-out?

Punch-out by far.

Super Punch-out has a lot of boxers who don't follow the rules (kicking, spitting, headbutts, using a cane as a weapon)and fighting them can be annoying and boring. Super Punch-out's zoomed in, directly behind the back with a 50% transparent Little Mac makes it hard to see what is going on.

Although Punch-out is over the top, it is mostly 100% legal boxing. The higher up, zoomed out view gives better visibility and keeps Little Mac from blocking the view.

Top Bottom