• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New R&B - The Weeknd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer

Anyone else heard of this guy?

wikipedia said:
The Weeknd is a Toronto-based R&B singer named Abel Tesfaye. Songs recorded under The Weeknd name first leaked in late 2010, though the identity of the individual behind the project was initially unknown. The Weeknd released a nine-song album, House of Balloons, on 21 March 2011. The album is a part of a trilogy which includes Thursday and Echoes of Silence, to be released in the summer and autumn respectively.

High for This - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9DgavXiN4

The Morning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TAko3RH0bk

wikipedia said:
In late 2010, The Weeknd uploaded three songs - "What You Need", "Loft Music" and "The Morning" - to YouTube. A nine-track album titled House of Balloons was digitally released on 21 March 2011 through the artist's official website. Hip-hop artist Drake has been partly credited for generating public awareness for The Weeknd, after he quoted a line from the track "Wicked Games" via Twitter and linked to the singer's music on his website.In a review of the House of Balloons album, Pitchfork Media's Joe Colly wrote that "all the thematic and sonic pieces fit together - these weird, morning-after tales of lust, hurt, and over-indulgence ... are matched by this incredibly lush, downcast music. It's hard to think of a record since probably the xx's debut ... that so fully embodies such a specific nocturnal quality."Frontier Psychiatrist's L.V. Lopez claimed the album was "brilliant, disturbing, and not safe for work," calling the song "Loft Music" a song that is "so unsafe it should come with a child-proof cap, so dirty that you’ll feel guilty the next time you see your wife."Tom Ewing of The Guardian said that although the singing and songwriting on House of Balloons "aren't especially strong by R&B standards," the Weeknd is receiving "so much attention" as a result of its "command of mood." Sean Fennessey of The Village Voice called the album "impressive" and added: "It's patient, often gorgeous, and consistently louche ... with the sort of blown-out underbelly and echo-laden crooning that has already made Drake's less-than-a-year-old Thank Me Later such an influential guidepost." Maegan McGregor of Exclaim! praised the album: "Packed full of sex, drugs and some downright killer production, this easily stands as one of the year's best debuts so far, hipster, Top 40 or otherwise." Sputnik Music's Tyler Fisher said that "despite being a free mixtape, House of Balloons feels like a true album, a true labor of love." The title track samples Siouxsie and the Banshees' 1980 single "Happy House".

Some seriously good music. Entourage used High for This as the song for the promo for the 2011 season.

CRS

joelseph said:
Dude is late as hell to the album of the year. Fuck the haters.
Agreed. Not my album of the year but really damn close. I've been playing the mixtape almost daily these past few months.

Thursday should be out pretty soon. Hopefully something within the next week.

joelseph

Ron C of OVO who does all the chopped and slopped Drake stuff is working on chopping The Weeknd Albums, he has a few tracks on his soundcloud.

Related, there is an amazing James Blake x Drake mashup mixtape, "James Drake". Check it.

I love how my two favorite styles are converging.

It's disposable pop. I'm glad there's some new R&B that doesn't fall into the "adult contemporary" or "hoot rat with a smooth voice" traps but there's nothing remotely original here.

Anyways, I see these guys around town all the time and their entourage is hilarious.

CRS

joelseph said:
Ron C of OVO who does all the chopped and slopped Drake stuff is working on chopping The Weeknd Albums, he has a few tracks on his soundcloud.

Related, there is an amazing James Blake x Drake mashup mixtape, "James Drake". Check it.

I love how my two favorite styles are converging.
A member from another forum already screwed the mixtape which turned out really good. I highly prefer it over Ron C's attempt at it.

big ander

Heh, yeah this is nowhere close to new. It is great though. Sure, the lyrics aren't anything original, but Tesfaye has a nice voice and some amazing beats. Production on the tracks is solid, which is why I'm so confused that people enjoy the screwed or chopped things. Just ruins it for me.

joelseph said:
I think we are getting to heart of your argument.
My argument is it's a competent but unoriginal mainstream pop record that has only been getting any attention because the Drake name is attached and blogs love mysterious acts with trendy/edgy album covers and free MP3s.

Just came across this guy, so f'n good. I'd have to say its my album/mixtape of the year. Now I've discovered the thursday mixtap songs, damn, so good....

nns3d

This was probably my favorite drop of 2011, I went in expecting a downgraded Frank Ocean but the production was just incredible.

Awwwesome stuff. Been bumpin this for a while. Supposedly he has enough material to release 2 more mixtapes before the end of the year (we'll probably only see one though).

Toddler

The Interrobanger said:
You're about 3 months late to the shitty and overrated party.
jBteh.jpg

3 months LOL

Weetrick

I like this album a lot, even though its not my normal style.

I don't know much about the album other than the music...is it one of those "cool to hate" albums?

Timo

If I found it a month ago does that make me cool?

Anyways, I really enjoyed the hell out of the album, I thought it was great. I also liked So Far Gone by Drake too so take that how you will.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
The Interrobanger said:
It's disposable pop. I'm glad there's some new R&B that doesn't fall into the "adult contemporary" or "hoot rat with a smooth voice" traps but there's nothing remotely original here.

Anyways, I see these guys around town all the time and their entourage is hilarious.
Wtf?! This sounds like nothing like disposable pop. You're thinking of the latest Britney spears album.

epik

I saw him live on sunday at OVO fest!!

I'm from toronto, and I respect drake and the weeknd for doing their thinggggg!!!!!!

YMCMB

big ander

AvidNobody said:
OH MY GOD HE SAMPLED BEACH HOUSE AOTY AOTY AOTY

EVEN THOUGH WE STILL GOT 5 MONTHS LEFT
:lol I listen to this album all the time but isn't his beach house sampling like, 2 seconds long? Still it is sweet

rinse82

I love when it gets grimey midway through House of Balloons - Glass Table Girls

Paranoid Android esque with the switch up.

overcast

rinse82 said:

Favorite track because of the switch.

One of the best albums of the year for sure.

big ander

rinse82 said:

Same as above, my favorite track because of that.
bring the 7-0-7 out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom