• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Red Dead Map Leaked?

artsi

That one (rumored) leak mentioned a gang system, and gang hideouts are there on the map.

A big new part of the RDR prequel is the new gang system. You can join several different gangs, or if you think you are up for it you can join the law enforcement of certain towns, but this will restrict you on things you can do like robbing.

The fact that Mafia 3's main city is called New Bordeaux is too much of coincdence, pretty sure it's fake.

not sure, was that revealled yesterday? I think this must have taken a while to make whoever did it.
A New Orleans-a-like is likely going to be New *insert French city name*

artsi

The fact that Mafia 3's main city is called New Bordeaux is too much of coincdence, pretty sure it's fake.

New Bordeaux is based on New Orleans, right? And both are Take-Two games so cross-references aren't impossible IMO.

Also, despite the map being compressed + fictional, wouldn't the city placement be fitting considering RDR was happening around (fictional) Texas / Mexico?
I'm not an expert on US geography as I'm from Europe, but I've got the impression that Louisiana is a swampy area, and so is the New Bordeaux area on the new leaked map.

ujYUXMn.jpg

packy34

Could be real, could be fake just as easily. Hard to get excited without proof, though RDR was my favorite game last gen.

mclem

I'll tell you two things that bother me.

The colour and the detail.

That is, I've seen early development maps (often for the likes of WoW) with clear demarcations for zones and lots of colour. It's perfectly normal. Here's one from Blizzcon last year:

...heck, I worked on the PSP port of Gun, and I'm pretty sure we had such a thing knocking around the design doc ourselves (although it's not a design doc I've seen in, like, ten years, so my memory might be playing up!). It's the sort of reference tool that makes sense to use internally and occasionally present externally but not have it user-facing in a game context; it's a clear basis of how the zones are split, but doesn't have the aesthetics and theming to make it a usable in-game asset.

But what that map isn't, is particularly detailed. Compare with this Red Dead map, and there's tons of detail on there; roadways, villages, contours, rivers. That map could be a user-facing asset. It's got the detail of an in-game asset with the colour scheme of an internal reference piece, and those two things would seem to be unlikely to go together.

I'm not intending this as a "...therefore, it's not real", I might well be missing something about Rockstar's internal processes that makes this logical. But it strikes me as odd.

sappyday

If real, would be a cool way for the game to leak. Imagine GTAV leaking with its map first. I do wonder when R* will announce their next title. E3 seems like a no brainer but R* usually do things on their own schedule.

Yeah we'll see. I think we all remember the many leaks of GTA V's map and things in general that all turned out to be fake. This could be anything.

If real, would be a cool way for the game to leak. Imagine GTAV leaking with its map first. I do wonder when R* will announce their next title. E3 seems like a no brainer but R* usually do things on their own schedule.

Yup, but they did let Sony announce GTA 5 remaster at their show. So who knows.

Little hard to believe there would be some kind of environment overlap between Mafia 3 and RDR3 under the same publishing roof with 2 games that will likely come out within about a year of each other. We'll see I guess.

Nyx

Hope not, the setting does not need a huge map.

I found the map in RDR too big and mostly empty already....

Hope not, the setting does not need a huge map.

I found the map in RDR too big and mostly empty already....

???

It's a western. There should be big empty spaces. Hell RDR wasn't nearly vast or lonely enough IMO. Every 2 minutes you'd run into another wacky random person or serial killer animal.

sappyday

Yeah we'll see. I think we all remember the many leaks of GTA V's map and things in general that all turned out to be fake. This could be anything.

Yup, but they did let Sony announce GTA 5 remaster at their show. So who knows.

True, and I just remembered that Red Dead Redemption was originally announced at E3 2006 along with the announcement of the PS3. Although I could be wrong on that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
looks OK to me.

i don't care if it's fake or not but just thinking about a new Red Dead game has got me way too excited. I truly hope it is the next game from Rockstar.

It would have to be set before RDR if it takes place east of it. The whole theme of RDR was how the West was dying, Blackwater was the primary example of that.

packy34

It would have to be set before RDR if it takes place east of it. The whole theme of RDR was how the West was dying, Blackwater was the primary example of that.

Fine with me. Much rather have John back than a new character and/or Jack.

artsi

A past leak/rumor actually said that it would be a prequel, and you would meet John Marston back when he was in a gang.

Dmax3901

Holy shit I've been excited for another Red Dead for years now but the thought of the level of detail of GTA V applied to Red Dead omggggg

The darkness!

Top Bottom