• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New report on Apple’s VR headset: 8K in each eye, potential $3,000 price tag

Keihart

lYQeBOd.jpg

The future of gaming.

jk... but really I hope it bridges the gap. I'm just suspicious of how well the implementation will fair.
If it can track your eyes, it shoudn't be a problem, that's how human sight works in fact, a really high definition small area on the center of your vision.

Reallink

VR Gaming future:
3k for the High End PC
3k for the headset
$3K PC would be a bargain. This is Apple. It'll be a walled garden and won't allow off device tethering at all, but if for some reason it did, it'd only link to a Mac Pro which range from $6K to $50K (and like all Mac's, would only support a very small handful of games).

In all seriousness, I would actually pay $3000 for a genuinely cutting edge PC VR headset with 8K RGB OLED's, eye tracking/foveated rendering, and a true 140-150 degree FOV. I wouldn't pay $3000 for something that only works in Apple's ecosystem though.

Last edited:
You can laugh about the price tag, but it's Apple. People will absolutely eat this shit up on the name alone. There are people who pride themselves in being Apple product whores and replacing their iPhone / iPad every single time a new one comes out.

Gentle reminder that Apple sell wheels you can stick onto your Mac for $700.
Those are some nice looking wheels.

People act like they are being forced to buy 8K 3,000$ AR apple glasses.

And the apple headphones are overpriced. They are overdesigned.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Shit on Apple but their displays are leading class and only ones to push the laptop display area continually, and their desktop screens are reasonably priced for what they are to. Don't use either but interested to see where they take this with their R&D.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Three grand :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some balls on those cheeky cunts. I can't see too many Penny Farthings lined up outside Apple stores for this one.

Rikkori

It's obviously not gaming focused. Not that I care either way, fuck Apple, have no desire to be chained to their ecosystem. They make facebook look like angels by comparison.

Diddy X

It's freakin Apple we're talking about, they could make it 3000€ and people would buy it because Apple.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The first version of this isn’t for the every day consumer nor is it strictly for gaming.

ManaByte

3k for a VR that, as a concept, is notoriously suffering from "where is the user base" problem? Holy shit if true.
To be fair, people said the same thing about the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. But that was a different era.

mhirano

Sure, expensive product but it is APPLE.
They will set the gold standard, make it mainstream and a few years down the road we will get cheap Samsung knock offs.
Sounds good to me.

llien

To be fair, people said the same thing about the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. But that was a different era.
People said the same about tablets, when they were $2000 (end of 90s).
Do you know who was making them back then, by the way? Microsoft.
They didn't take off until price became 3-4 times lower.

Iphone... came when palm PC's dissapeard. I know, I was looking for one, once mine broke:

iPhones were not more expensive that those.
And I doubt to be the only owner of such device that was thinking "wouldn't it be cool, if it also was a phone".

Idgaf if each eyeball gets licked on by big titted women everytime I'm in VR, I ain't paying 3K for hardware from a company that us undoubtedly going to nickel and dime me for everything along the way.

I'll eat crow if Apple comes out and doesnt add an additional, kinda pretty needed, charge for an accessory, that you'll think is kinda pretty needed, for about 300 to 600 dollars.

:|

Last edited:

CAB_Life

I don't regret finally weaning myself off the sour milk of Apple's tit last year. Grotesquely exploitative monsters who make a killing off idiots with more money than sense.

Cyberpunkd

can rtx 3090 even handle 8k?

do a 4k version for $1400

and 2k version for $700
I cannot imagine this will be tethered to a PC. Apple never goes for products having niche applications or niche appeal, they wait and perfect the formula, at the same time avoiding growth pains of other companies and rip profits.

Last edited:

Alebrije

There are people that spends more money on other hobbies...3000 is not for me but know some guys that would pay it to get a 8K VR set.

Its not a product for the mass market at that price...

johntown

Banned
Will this even working for gaming? I have a feeling it will be proprietary to Apple and some service they have. Plus there is not much that could run anything decent in 8k 90fps so this whole thing seems like massive overkill and a waste.

Romulus

Pfffttttttt. What can even handle 8K? We're struggling with 4k/144 on Ultra.

Look up foveated rendering

It's a huge advantage VR has over monitors because it can track your pupils, effectively lowering the resolution of everything out of focus. Saving alot of resources.

This is one reason I believe VR gaming will outpace regular gaming from a visual standpoint too.

The people here comparing an 8k per eye VR/AR headset to Apple's monitor stand are hilarious. Most high quality VR setups are 1k and above and don't come close to these specs. 8k per eye with advanced rendering techniques and Apple quality would be fantastic and absolutely claim the higher end market and bring VR/AR into a more mainstream commercial area, especially corporate. This is straight sci-fi stuff. My Pimax is 1440p per eye and sim-racing in VR is already absolutely phenomenal. Can't imagine how realistic 8k would look.

For those wondering about performance, it uses eye tracking to know where you are looking at then renderings that specific area at native while rendering the surrounding areas in lower and lower detail the further away from that focal point. This greatly reduces the performance required and means that even dual 8k displays could be driven by lower end hardware. Lotta haters here that don't understand where tech is these days...

This headset would be the kind of thing that would legitimately change peoples view on what VR is. You take anyone skeptical about it and put them in an optimized high quality 8k per eye headset with an interesting demo reel and that person will be blown away every time. Everyone I've let try my Pimax has come out of it speechless and this headset would make mine look archaic. The only problem is motion sickness, but if Apple is as serious as they seem to be about AR, that element of the game could be huge in terms of giving people the connection they need to the world in order to avoid any disconnected/nausea feelings. I don't think there is another piece of tech that could impress people the way this thing could if these rumors are true.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Does the hardware even exist to run native 8k in each eye at 90hz ?

Does the hardware even exist to run native 8k in each eye at 90hz ?
It won't be native 8k per eye, it will render a small focal point where you eyes are looking at 8k with the surrounding areas dropping off in detail. It's all in the rumors. Eye tracking already exists today.

Lets read before posting, ya? This entire thread is a joke so far.

Gonna give you guys a little reality update, nobody are buying those 700$ Mac Pro wheels or the 1k monitor stand, both those products are accessories for professional grade equipment (Mac Pro and the 5k Pro display are both not consumer devices) with extremely small market share. The people dropping 20k on a Mac Pro and 15k on 3 pro displays don't care about the price of those add-ons. The iPhone is priced the same as all the main android rivals and its resale value blows any competition away. Apple's chipsets have been ahead for years and iPhones get software updates for way longer than 99% of android devices.

Get a grip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom