• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 3 Remake details from OPM

Mista

Banned
resident-evil-3-remake-jill-carlos-nemesis-uhdpaper.com-4K-7.610-wp.thumbnail.jpg

- Nemesis is based on Tyrant from RE2 but has better AI - they created a "real" Nemesis to scan him with photogrammetry - No Mercenaries mode - Mutant worms will return - Carlos is playable - No multiple endings

- They created a "real" Nemesis to scan him with photogrammetry
- No Mercenaries mode
- Mutant worms will return
- Carlos is playable
- No multiple endings
- Nemesis will use an improved version of the AI developed for the Tyrant of Resident Evil 2 Remake
- Sound will be very important in a city like Raccoon City, you will have to rely on it to anticipate dangers lying in wait around the corner
- Confirmation that we will visit the streets, the shops, the Stagla petrol station, the Raccoon Press offices, the hospital
- There will not be the action choice mechanism as in the original, which could give different sequences of the game afterwards or an advantage over a danger
- There will also be no more endings. It will therefore be interesting to know who will fly the helicopter at the end of the game and whether Nicholai will survive or not

Source

Blond

Banned
So they got rid of the action choice? Not sure how I feel about it, but I *hope* that means that the choice is dynamic when he appears and you can make the choice to run/hide or fight in real time.

Edit: Also why Tyrant and not Mr X? I'm sure because of attack patterns and the fact you'll be up close and personal with him is why but a curious choice regardless.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I want to feel the old days so please you need to activate run mode for Nemesis not just walking behind us like the tyrant in RE2

Christopher

So they got rid of the action choice? Not sure how I feel about it, but I *hope* that means that the choice is dynamic when he appears and you can make the choice to run/hide or fight in real time.

Edit: Also why Tyrant and not Mr X? I'm sure because of attack patterns and the fact you'll be up close and personal with him is why but a curious choice regardless.

im sure they meant mr x as he is a tyrant

KàIRóS

Tyrant and Mr.X are the same thing, someone named him Mr.X and it got stuck but the official name has always been Tyrant

Dacon

Banned
Why is there a regression in gameplay options in a bloody remake?

Also,Capcom is so obsessed with scanning shit in rather than digitally handcrafting their characters that they made a Nemesis just to scan him? Lmao their artists must be thrilled.

Paracelsus

- There will not be the action choice mechanism as in the original, which could give different sequences of the game afterwards or an advantage over a danger
Of course, Nemesis will be a nuisance like Mr.X, he'll chase you everywhere, they can't have things like "use the light to blow him up and leave".

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I remember finishing re3 as a kid but I don't remember multiple endings or choices... was it important ? (don't spoil the ending since I don't remember it!)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Belmonte

I remember finishing re3 as a kid but I don't remember multiple endings or choices... was it important ? (don't spoil the ending since I don't remember it!)

IMO, RE3 has the best replay value of the classic Resident Evils because the multiple ending/choices. It was fun to try a new approach in consecutive playthroughs. This is a feat since you can't choose your protagonist like RE1 or RE2.

Moses85

Seems we will have the same situation as RE2 Remake. A great game but it won't replace the original, like the Resident Evil 1 remake.

Resident Evil 1 didn't scrap anything of the original. Only built in its shoulders.

Yes, I am playing it right now and for the 10th time. I love it. So goddam perfect and still scary.

Way to ruin every single thing that I loved about the original and most of what made it stand out from the rest of the series.

Guess I'll be buying this on a deep discount then.

Super bloody disappointing. Way to monkey's paw my dream game Capcom.

Dacon

Banned
It is sounding more and more like Nemesis is going to just be a reskinned Mr. X, stripped of everything that made Nemesis encounters unique and thrilling.

I almost expect there to be several heavily scripted "escape" set pieces complete with quicktime events.

dan76

So does that mean that you can't fight Nemisis and get extra stuff? That was one thing of the coolest things about 3 and worst things about REmake 2. It was just an easy hide and seek, I'd hoped they would give you a reason to fight like the original. Sound like it might be even more of a drag than 2.

I'll reserve my judgment until i play the game, i was never fond of the mercenary mini game until 4-6 so it's no big loss to me, now if the game's size and locations have been expanded i think it would be a worthy sacrifice.

Aggelos

It's again obvious that they're going down the path of free re-imagination.

The Capcom folks over there at Osaka (Capcom HQ is situated in Osaka and Capcom Development Division 1 is also housed there) are not gonna do faithful remakes in the style that Shinji Mikami did back in 2002 with the RE Remake for Gamecube.
That was a masterful Remake, it was a trail-blazing remake. He made it so faithful to the original yet he directed his dev team to create original content as well. And everything came together so beautifully and harmonically. What a masterpiece.

With RE2 Remake they started this kind of trend of free re-imagination. And it's a queer trend indeed. It leaves me befuddled and discombobulated at times.
Moreover, the two directors of RE2Remake, Yasuhiro Anpo and Kazunori Kadoi, are very old Capcom employees. They both worked on the first Resident Evil of 1996. They know very well the style and flavour of classic RE games of the '90s.
And now this bizarre trend goes on with RE3Remake. I can't wrap my head around it.

Last edited:

ElCasual

I know that this is out the post but..I hope Konami see how capcom is working in one of the most beloved franchise and do a remake of Silent Hill (and maybe the rumor is true). After all RE and SH were like rivals in times of PS1.

SuperGooey

There are a lot of fans defending one ending and no Mercs, like how they defended the cut content in RE2make. Since Capcom does occasionally listen to its fans, I wish they were more vocal now that we are getting remakes with even less content than RE1. Maybe Capcom would prioritize releasing more complete games...

Even RE1 had multiple endings and a choice system. WTF, Capcom?

I expected the worst in terms of content and replay value after they announced Project REsistance was being included with RE3make (which also guaranteed no Mercenaries) and classic costumes were pre-order (free unlockables in RE2remake), seems I was right. :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I'm hoping a new trailer comes out and blows me away because so far nothing I've seen or heard about this game is leaving me impressed.

The original RE trilogy is my favorite gaming trilogy, so I really want these remakes to be good. REmake is still a perfect game that improves over the original in every possible way. I really wish that same level of care was taken with RE2make and RE3make- RE2make being a great game, but an underwhelming remake, imo.

Here's to hoping that RE3make finds a way to make up for cut content, but so far I'm not seeing it in the footage or reading about it in the interviews. I'm starting to get worried that enemy and item randomizations that helped keep the original RE3 so fresh won't return in this remake.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm hoping a new trailer comes out and blows me away because so far nothing I've seen or heard about this game is leaving me impressed.

The original RE trilogy is my favorite gaming trilogy, so I really want these remakes to be good. REmake is still a perfect game that improves over the original in every possible way. I really wish that same level of care was taken with RE2make and RE3make- RE2make being a great game, but an underwhelming remake, imo.

Here's to hoping that RE3make finds a way to make up for cut content, but so far I'm not seeing it in the footage or reading about it in the interviews. I'm starting to get worried that enemy and item randomizations that helped keep the original RE3 so fresh won't return in this remake.
I definitely agree with that and I'm surprised how much I liked character models and overall visuals.

Last edited:

Arachnid

- No Mercenaries mode
- No multiple endings

wtf are they doing? Do they want me to buy the game?!
On the flip side, I don't want any of those. Sounds like they've got the right mindset IMO. I just want more story content.

Last edited:
I think the people complaining about no multiple endings are making a mountain out of a molehill. Resident Evil 3 literally had 2 different endings, and they were barely different. Sure there were different aspects to the area of the Dead Factory (mainly centered around Nikolai, a character who is most likely dead by the end of the game depending on your actions, and who has zero impact on whether or not Jill AND Carlos make it out or Jill OR Carlos make it out - only on if Barry is there). But look at what the action choices resulted in for most of the game. A lot of them resulted in "Fight Nemesis here, or run away," or "Fight Nemesis now, or knock him down immediately." For a game in the late 90s, the action choices WERE awesome. But nowadays, I'd rather the choices arrive in a more dynamic fashion, which isn't entirely ruled out. Even if that didn't happen, I wouldn't be upset. It still looks fantastic and fun.

Also, Resident Evil 3's mercenaries was a far cry from RE4-onwards. It was cool, but ultimately I remember thinking the side game in 3 wasn't all that fantastic.

Before we crucify Resident Evil 3 Remake's decisions, can we actually see how these will play out? Because some of the changes (a more live, responsive city specifically) have me somewhat excited.

E.T. Waifu

Nooo. Omg I was sure they'd bring back the choices, they make RE3 the game it is.... I'd be fine with having only one ending, but this? HMMMMM. And I hope this doesn't mean we can't fight Nemesis, because if that's the case, I might actually not get this.

RSB

Banned
The classic RE games were infinitely replayable.

Tis a shame they’ve decided to fuck up RE3 the way the did the RE2 remake.

Just release the originals on Steam so we can avoid this watered down cash grab!
Seriously, I don't understand why they haven't re-released the original trilogy yet. Put the quick turn from RE3 into RE1 and 2, include the option to play with AI upscaled backgrounds, call it Resident Evil Classic Trilogy, and release it on Steam and consoles.

After seeing what they did with the RE2 Reimagining it's obvious bringing back classic RE is not on Capcom's plans, so they should at least give us that.

Bkdk

I’m totally ready to play this in remake on summer once some good sexier jill makeover and quicker movement mods are out with summer special.

GrayChild

Gold Member
RE3's Mercenaries mode sucked.
The live action choices would not work as good in a modern game.
The two endings barely had any difference.

We're getting bigger and more dense Raccoon City, expanded sections with Carlos and more aggressive and unpredictable Nemesis.

I don't see what the problem is here. The latest updates actually got me even more hyped about the game.

I'll speak for myself, but after playing the Mercenaries Mode for a while I got tired of it.

I think the main concern is how they handle Nemesis. If they get it right, it may even surpass the original game.

RE3's Mercenaries mode sucked.
If you didn't like the original then that's okay but if they made a new one it wouldn't be the same as the one we got in 1999.

I mean some versions of RE1 and RE2 had a battle game and they took that out. AT LEAST they added HUNK and Tofu in RE2. I could forgive them if they turned around and surprised us with like 5 in-game quality unlockable boutique costumes and good weapons. But Mercs, the branching path choices also the action choices gave you free rewards.

They've literally missed the point of the game. I mean not at all remakes need to be a 1:1 of the original game, Mikami went out of his way with Remake.

Top Bottom