• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 3 Remake details from OPM

GymWolf

Gold Member
Capcom continue to cut contenents from their remake...

That's why rebirth is gonna be the better remake at the end.

GrayChild

Gold Member
If you didn't like the original then that's okay but if they made a new one it wouldn't be the same as the one we got in 1999.

I mean some versions of RE1 and RE2 had a battle game and they took that out. AT LEAST they added HUNK and Tofu in RE2. I could forgive them if they turned around and surprised us with like 5 in-game quality unlockable boutique costumes and good weapons. But Mercs, the branching path choices also the action choices gave you free rewards.

They've literally missed the point of the game. I mean not at all remakes need to be a 1:1 of the original game, Mikami went out of his way with Remake.

I mean, one can argue that the RE1 remake has also cut a lot of previously available features (such as the arranged mode from the DC and the Battle mode from the Saturn version). However, it introduced other game modes. I can see something similar happening here, especially with RE Resistance thrown in as what is basically a free spin-off.

Besides, the first remake came out at a time when the original game design formula was not that dated. I seriously can't see how CAPCOM can make the exact same game 1:1 but in RE engine and expect it to be relevant for anyone outside the most hardcore fanbase in 2020.

Geki-D

Banned
- No Mercenaries mode : A shame it's gone but we're getting Resistance instead.
- No multiple endings : There were only really 2 in the original (one just had a different in-game cutscene before it with different dialogue) and it was hardly worth playing through the game again to see it.
- No action choices : They were pointless and gimmicky in the original. They barely changed anything and didn't add any replay value.

Nothing of value is really lost without being replaced and I'm sure the overall product will be tightened up and longer to make up for the missing stuff.

Fenris Wolf

If they're going to change the game so drastically, Why not make a new one entirely?
I mean what's this game exactly? a reboot of RE3?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If they're going to change the game so drastically, Why not make a new one entirely?
Isn’t exactly what FFVIIRemake is doing? I feel like both RE2Remake and this one are not meant to replace the original games.

Geki-D

Banned
Yes? RE2RE was pretty much a reboot of RE2, too. I'd say it's more justified here to actually lean more towards a reboot with RE3 because the original game simply wasn't as good as RE2 was. RE2 had more that was worth keeping, RE3 -let's be honest here- had Nemesis and the rest was pretty forgettable and inconsequential to the overall RE storyline. RE3 could have never happened and we could have been told that Jill was just out of town during RE2 and nothing would be different for the franchise. No RE2, on the other hand means no Leon, no Claire, no downfall of Raccoon City.

Fenris Wolf

Yes? RE2RE was pretty much a reboot of RE2, too.

But they're marketing RE3 as a remake. If it's a remake shouldn't it be faithful to the original game?
Like i get it, They can't rebuild every single thing since the gameplay of the original game might be considered outdated by the majority of today's players so they must modernize it as much as possible
but removing and changing things such as making decisions, Mercenary mode (which they could release it as a free to download separate mode) and etc. as you have said, leans the game more towards reboot than a remake. Wouldn't it be better to just focus their entire resources to make RE8 and not remaking the older game to just change it drastically from what is originally was?

- No Mercenaries mode : A shame it's gone but we're getting Resistance instead.
- No multiple endings : There were only really 2 in the original (one just had a different in-game cutscene before it with different dialogue) and it was hardly worth playing through the game again to see it.
- No action choices : They were pointless and gimmicky in the original. They barely changed anything and didn't add any replay value.

Nothing of value is really lost without being replaced and I'm sure the overall product will be tightened up and longer to make up for the missing stuff.
I take it you've either never played the game or forgotten most of it, because while Mercenaries is indeed a minor shame, both the choices and alternate endings gave significant changes to any playthrough and added a ton of replay value

Firstly, the choices often gave you access to locations or items you'd have missed otherwise, as well as potentially offering you a greater challenge in confronting the Nemesis with a significant reward either from the cases he dropped, or other items such as Brad's STARS ID card, which saved needing to search the police station for Jill's own card.

There were smaller, less significant choices as well, but the big ones could completely change the difficulty of your playthrough and effected gameplay choices you'd be able to make for rhe rest of the game.

Secondly, the endings were unique due to several different cut scenes and a different path though the final area, affected whether the primary human antagonist lived or died, and gave you an awesome out of nowhere rescue by Barry Burton, that was the only confirmation that the guy was still alive until Revelations 2.

These are not minor elements to cut from the game, and make the remake a significantly poorer prospect by their exclusion.

Arachnid

"I'm glad they are cutting content cause I just want more content!"
Lame attempt at being a dick aside, we both know that's not what that post means. I stated "story content" to rule out Mercs (which I haven't enjoyed since RE4, and even then it was probably just the novelty of OTS; flat out never liked it in 3, 5 was ok, 6 I didn't even bother with) or Ghost Survivors.

I don't want multiple endings or choices in RE because those are almost always half-assed in games that aren't specifically designed around choice (Heavy Rain, Detroit, RPGs like Divinity OS2 and Fallout), as they were in RE3 (and RE1s endings for that matter; both of which don't hold a candle to the mentioned). I'd rather just get a longer set story, and these little choices barely add content or anything of interest. I'd prefer DLC, a full new area, or Carlos' section expanded than waste resources on little gimmicky choices that lead to small changes like picking between Jill or Brads card, backtracking, Carlos helping with a boss battle (or not), skipping a boss, noncanon changes like Jill dying, or a lame cutscene change between Jill escaping or being rescued.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who never played the original for more than maybe an hour or so back then, im hyped for REmake3 and love that there's no multiple endings. Just give me one definitive ending and that's it. Three months to go!!!

Arachnid

As someone who never played the original for more than maybe an hour or so back then, im hyped for REmake3 and love that there's no multiple endings. Just give me one definitive ending and that's it. Three months to go!!!
IMO you're not missing out on much. OGRE3 was my second least favorite of the fixed angle games (right after 0). Any change in the remake will be an improvement (and so far, they have been).

johntown

Banned
I'm okay with it being a one and done. I am just happy to have the game get a reamke so I will take what I can get and try not to complain too much.

SuperGooey

Listen, motherfuckers!

If you think that no mercenaries and no multiple endings isn't a big deal... YOU'RE DEAD WRONG. And I got proof:

1. I'm right.

2. You're wrong.
---

In all seriousness, a huge part of the appeal of RE3 for me, and the reason it is one of my most played games in the series, are the choices. Every playthrough feels different whether you choose a different live selection or just have to adapt to the puzzle solutions, item and enemy spawns being randomized. No two playthroughs have felt the same to me (and I've played it over 10 times). Most recently, I did my first kill-all Nemesis encounters run. What a rush, and it was totally worth it for the T2 style shotgun and infinite ammo!

Having so many options while also having to adapt to the RNG defines RE3 for me, even moreso than Nemesis, and is the reason that RE3 has jumped up the ranks as my favorite of the original trilogy. Taking away what makes RE3 stand out amongst all the other games in the series for a more "defined story" seems misguided. Also, keep in mind that Capcom gave the same excuse for no zapping system in RE2make, and that ended up being a complete lie.

I hope Capcom proves me wrong. I'm still holding out hope that you can down Nemesis for upgrades and randomized item and enemy locations, but that's starting to seem unlikely. I really wish we got REmake 1 style remakes for 2 and 3, because these modern remakes feel like major compromises.

Also, can't wait for Capcom to replace the "You want stars?" line with something clever like "fuck you!" Ugh.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really wish we got REmake 1 style remakes for 2 and 3, because these modern remakes feel like major compromises.
I personally really enjoyed RE2Remake but I don't disagree with you because I had absolute blast with original REmake, I go even further, I wouldn't mind seeing RE8 goes fix camera REmake style.

Reactions: RSB

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Honestly, I had a bad gut feeling about this game since it was announced, but didn't bring it up because it wasn't based on really anything. I just had the feeling that finding out the news about the RE3 remake not even a year after 2 was released just felt like another cash grab with how well 2 did, and also it just felt too good to be true for Capcom. They can never have too many great RE's in a row before they start fucking them up.

RE3 just came totally out of the blue and so damn fast after 2 I doubt the amount of love and passion will be put into this.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I personally really enjoyed RE2Remake but I don't disagree with you because I had absolute blast with original REmake, I go even further, I wouldn't mind seeing RE8 goes fix camera REmake style.
The remakes don't necessarily have to be fixed camera. I'd probably prefer a RE2make with fixed camera, but I think RE3 will play better with free aiming, over-the-shoulder since it is more action-based. Tank controls don't work super well when you are taking on Nemesis in the original.

But I'd love to see RE8 go for cinematic camera angles. It doesn't have to be fixed all the time, maybe have the camera pan and shift, like Code Veronica. I'm still really curious about how RE3.5's approach would work out--fixed/panning camera that switches to over-the-shoulder when aiming your gun. I'm also OK with first-person again since it gave RE7 more of a point-and-click adventure game feel that I love in RE1 and REmake.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Honestly, I had a bad gut feeling about this game since it was announced, but didn't bring it up because it wasn't based on really anything. I just had the feeling that finding out the news about the RE3 remake not even a year after 2 was released just felt like another cash grab with how well 2 did, and also it just felt too good to be true for Capcom. They can never have too many great RE's in a row before they start fucking them up.

RE3 just came totally out of the blue and so damn fast after 2 I doubt the amount of love and passion will be put into this.
It’ll turn out fine trust me

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I'm honestly kind of shocked at the, "welp it's ruined" or "no longer day one" reactions. Especially since I'm still in 100%, considering how impressive RE2 was. I never told myself it was going to be a 1:1 remake. Hell, I threw that out the window when they announced that asymmetrical multiplayer mode was included.

The cut spiders is still weird to me, but it's not game breaking. Also the action sequences always felt like they were a lazy implementation. Not something I remembered vividly. Just like Mercenaries, I legit forgot it existed in RE3. Probably doesn't help that when I think of Mercenaries, I think of RE4's over RE3's.

I'm still really excited about RE3, but at the same time, I can't wait for it to be out so they can start on RE8. 7 was really cool, and I'm ready for another original RE sequel.

Ingeniero

No path choices is very disappointing.... That was the best part of the original RE3 imo.
Replace Mercenaries with Project resistance sounds bad too.... at least I hope that you can get weapons and upgrades in Project Resistance and be able to use them in new runs in the main game.

kunonabi

I'm honestly kind of shocked at the, "welp it's ruined" or "no longer day one" reactions. Especially since I'm still in 100%, considering how impressive RE2 was. I never told myself it was going to be a 1:1 remake. Hell, I threw that out the window when they announced that asymmetrical multiplayer mode was included.

The cut spiders is still weird to me, but it's not game breaking. Also the action sequences always felt like they were a lazy implementation. Not something I remembered vividly. Just like Mercenaries, I legit forgot it existed in RE3. Probably doesn't help that when I think of Mercenaries, I think of RE4's over RE3's.

I'm still really excited about RE3, but at the same time, I can't wait for it to be out so they can start on RE8. 7 was really cool, and I'm ready for another original RE sequel.

The difference is RE2 had major issues despite it's popularity so there was a lot of room for improvement. Some of which was implemented while other elements were made worse or omitted. RE2's zapping system and A/B scenarios were a great idea executed poorly but instead of fixing them they basically just didn't bother.

RE3 didn't have much that needed fixing outside of rebalancing ammo mixing and making dodging easier for casual players. They had a much stronger framework and could have focused on expanding and fleshing out the live selections, Mercs, etc.

Instead they just gutted them again while also shitting out some really crappy new character designs for everybody.

RE3 is one of my top ten games of all time and my favorite RE so the chances of me being receptive to a remake that takes everything I loved about it out are pretty slim. Especially with how hit or miss REmake 2 was in regards to the new characterizations. There's a very good chance that the story and characters aren't going to make up for all the missing gameplay elements.

SuperGooey

In RE1, the shark room is super forgettable. It's just a square room with some water and easily avoidable sharks that you quickly drain to pick up an item and leave. If this were RE2make, that part would have been cut, and fans would defend this decision by saying "it was only one room!" Instead, Mikami saw an opportunity to turn that shark room into one of the most intense and memorable parts of the whole series.

Instead of cutting features that weren't fully developed, I wish RE2/RE3make would develop them further. In my mind, that's what makes for a great remake. RE2make is great, but I don't think it's even in the same ballpark as the first remake when it comes to taking the original and improving it in every possible way. RE3make seems to be more in line with RE2make.

I still can't let go of all the missed potential in a more developed RE2 zapping system, and now I'm going to have to wonder how cool the choice system could have been if the time was put into the remake to expand on the feature instead of cutting it. It just blows my mind that fans defend this shit.

Last edited:

NT80

RE3's Mercenaries mode sucked.
The live action choices would not work as good in a modern game.
The two endings barely had any difference.

We're getting bigger and more dense Raccoon City, expanded sections with Carlos and more aggressive and unpredictable Nemesis.

I don't see what the problem is here. The latest updates actually got me even more hyped about the game.

I played RE3 about 20 years ago and remember feeling no compulsion whatsoever to replay the game. It doesn't sound like the differences were ever worth playing through the game again to me. Of far more importance to me is making the game much bigger and better.

Paracelsus

I played RE3 about 20 years ago and remember feeling no compulsion whatsoever to replay the game. It doesn't sound like the differences were ever worth playing through the game again to me. Of far more importance to me is making the game much bigger and better.

Which is not what happened with RE2r, so why would it happen here?

NT80

Which is not what happened with RE2r, so why would it happen here?
I hope they will, that's more important then cutting little things. With RE2 I can't remember too well what's new or removed since I haven't played the original since 98 when it first came out. seemed like there were new areas, encounters and weapons but certain things were missing. I remember Clair having an extra ammo type for the grenade launcher and few areas seem different. While I liked them a lot I never felt like replaying any of the old REs though which is why I haven't played any of them again since they were first released. I've replayed RE4 a few times.

Last edited:

Aggelos

I think the game is going to be shown at PAX South, which is held Jan 17, 2020 – Sun, Jan 19, 2020

80816682_1112282499116045_8992620868065772768_n.jpg

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Bad news to not incluided Mercenaries mode.

I wish could play again with Mikhail 1000kg of Rock.

maxresdefault.jpg

The most fat and badass character (Only for their weapons)

KiteGr

They butchered the B scenarios on REmake 2.
They removed all scenarios in REmake 3...

makes sense...
IMO these recent remakes aren't anywhere as good as the first one!
The original REmake can perfectly replace the original from your library. As they didn't remove a thing and only added!

Belmonte

I mean, one can argue that the RE1 remake has also cut a lot of previously available features (such as the arranged mode from the DC and the Battle mode from the Saturn version). However, it introduced other game modes. I can see something similar happening here, especially with RE Resistance thrown in as what is basically a free spin-off.

Besides, the first remake came out at a time when the original game design formula was not that dated. I seriously can't see how CAPCOM can make the exact same game 1:1 but in RE engine and expect it to be relevant for anyone outside the most hardcore fanbase in 2020.

I understand the argument but Arranged mode and Battle mode were more akin to DLCs to the first RE. They weren't part of the original game. Action choices and multiple endings are part of the backbone of RE3 and Mercenaries, despite not being as important, was part of the original product also.

In RE1, the shark room is super forgettable. It's just a square room with some water and easily avoidable sharks that you quickly drain to pick up an item and leave. If this were RE2make, that part would have been cut, and fans would defend this decision by saying "it was only one room!" Instead, Mikami saw an opportunity to turn that shark room into one of the most intense and memorable parts of the whole series.

Instead of cutting features that weren't fully developed, I wish RE2/RE3make would develop them further. In my mind, that's what makes for a great remake. RE2make is great, but I don't think it's even in the same ballpark as the first remake when it comes to taking the original and improving it in every possible way. RE3make seems to be more in line with RE2make.

I still can't let go of all the missed potential in a more developed RE2 zapping system, and now I'm going to have to wonder how cool the choice system could have been if the time was put into the remake to expand on the feature instead of cutting it. It just blows my mind that fans defend this shit.

Damn, perfect example. I mean, for a Code Veronica hater.

giphy.gif

Seriously now, great comparison. I see this, not only in RE but in other remakes also, like FFVII.

Belmonte

Bold prediction:

Jan. 16th we will get a new trailer that CONFIRMS Mercenaries mode is in.

If I'm right, we all need to agree as a community that Code Veronica sucks.

RE3 can be great, even without Mercenaries mode. But asking it to rewrite history is too much. Code Veronica will be awesome to the end of time.

zombrex

Feels like this is a rush job based on the success of RE2 remake. All those changes are designed to make development easier and quicker, not to improve the game. They want this out well before next gen to avoid any dip in interest.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Gold Member
Serious question.

Considering that all modern RE games start to lean heavily towards being more and more realistic and immersive, do you expect CAPCOM to implement a mechanic where the screen freezes for a minute and an on-screen prompt asking you how to deal with the situation appears on screen?

Yes, REmake was amazing (and is still my favorite game in the series). But it also came only 6 years after the original, while there are now more than 20 years between the original RE3 and its remake. And it's not like Capcom is only cutting old stuff without adding tons of other things to the game.

P.S. Code Veronica is the worst canon RE game. Yes, even worse than 5 and 6.

kunonabi

Serious question.

Considering that all modern RE games start to lean heavily towards being more and more realistic and immersive, do you expect CAPCOM to implement a mechanic where the screen freezes for a minute and an on-screen prompt asking you how to deal with the situation appears on screen?

Yes, REmake was amazing (and is still my favorite game in the series). But it also came only 6 years after the original, while there are now more than 20 years between the original RE3 and its remake. And it's not like Capcom is only cutting old stuff without adding tons of other things to the game.

P.S. Code Veronica is the worst canon RE game. Yes, even worse than 5 and 6.

You could still implement choices and branching paths even with a more "realistic" take. Let's not act like these sorts of things haven't been really popular in horror games as of late.

Dacon

Banned

What is more realistic about modern RE than the originals? It's the same ridiculous shit as before, it just takes itself more seriously, and lost its fun campy vibe in the process.

Lol, you already spend plenty of time in menus managing items in RE2make, adding a onscreen prompt to make a story choice would be no more immersion breaking than that is.

Top Bottom