• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Info (Claire, Barry's Daughter, 1080p/60FPS, co-op)

RSB

Banned
I'm surprised Revelations gets so much flak here on GAF.

I was under the impression that Revs was seen as the perfect balance between new and old RE. At least I felt that way and saw many similar opinions on RE forums.
It kind of tries to take the middle ground approach, but it doesn't work, IMO. It's bad both as a classic RE, and as an action RE. And well, it's just a very mediocre game overall.

Anyway, both old and new Resident Evil are good.
Absolutely.

RedSwirl

My problem with co-op and Resident Evil is that all the co-op games were basically designed with co-op and online play as the default. They were designed around co-op to the detriment of singleplayer. If you didn't have anyone to play co-op with, your experience with the game suffered for it, and RE is a traditionally singleplayer franchise. You can't really have a single campaign be singleplayer and co-op at the same time. One of the two will take priority and the other will suffer for it.

I still don't see why Capcom can't design singleplayer and co-op campaigns separately. RE6 has three main campaigns and the closest thing it has to a singleplayer story is Ada's extra campaign. They couldn't have made ONE of the three main campaigns balanced around singleplayer? RE6 is, for all intents and purposes, an online game first and foremost. When you're playing singleplayer and offline, you're playing what was basically an afterthought. That was my biggest problem with RE5.

My biggest problem with Capcom in general right now is the company basically seems to have given up on singleplayer offline games, to the point where they can't even provide a mode or story that's designed around singleplayer. Even Call of Duty still has singleplayer campaigns.

While there may be some support to that, it may also come down to unfinished texture work as well. Something about the face, Claire Redfield or not, doesn't sit right with me and I could see it coming down to it being an unfinished product. Also have to take into account that these aren't fantastic scans either.

Personally I have a greater issue with the daughter of Barry Burton being thrown in and Claire once again seemingly being put in somewhat of a maternal role once again.

I imagine two possibilities:

1)Something happened to Barry and his daughter is trying to investigate.

2) Barry's daughter simply decided to join Terra Save (likely having been exposed to Unbrella's machinations in 1998) and Clair becomes her mentor of sorts.

Both may even be the case.

Mupod

I'm surprised Revelations gets so much flak here on GAF.

I was under the impression that Revs was seen as the perfect balance between new and old RE. At least I felt that way and saw many similar opinions on RE forums.

Perfect? Noooo. But I give it credit for trying, even a little.

I was hoping all along that it would be spun off into its own series that tried a little harder to bring RE back to its roots. And...maybe that's happening? We'll see.

Gamerloid

I think that's the route they're taking. Which is cool with me. RE being split into two different series sounds pretty nice.
Same. I enjoyed RE5, but not RE6 due to some of the storyline being wack. The only one I enjoyed was Jake and Sherry. As long as I get my horror fill, I can be happy with Action Evil around.

Xpliskin

I find it amazing that people are still having doubts about who the 3rd character is.

And given that Moira will be alongside claire for most of the campaign I assume, if "horror" there is it'll be akin to TLOU. More of an avoidance/survival type.
Maybe the barry segments will be more compelling (no co-op or new partner I'd guess).

I was wondering why that particular person was in the ignore list until you quoted a post(which shows it), then it all came back to me. Wow indeed.

Teknoman

Please let this be actual survival horror and not just Revelations style where the first part was great, then the rest of the game fell off.

Also can we make the gun sounds POWERFUL?

Sectus

It's always a shame to see people try to bludgeon others with the term complexity while having no idea what it means.

Anyway, both old and new Resident Evil are good.

I wish there were more fans who like both old and new styles, it's a bit insane how segregated the fanbase is.

Spaghetti

Well the initial question is how RE1-3's gameplay stands out on it's own. They seems to have aged pretty badly to me.
it stands out because of the tension the limited systems bring.

i've recently started playing re3 because it's the only numbered resident evil i haven't played in some form, and i'm really appreciating the gameplay because of how restricted it is in terms of movement and combat ability, as well as enemy placement and volume. it does make you feel helpless, but in the way that it's supposed to. it puts the survival part into survival horror and activates that little 'fight or flight' part of my brain.

the puzzles in re3 are a little shallow, but they encourage exploration while coming at the risk of running into enemies and expending ammunition to break a hole through them. REmake had the best puzzles anyway, but the old resident evil games had less linear puzzles than the ones seen in 4 onwards.

what makes the older resident evil games still good is the 'less is more' approach, the limitations on the gameplay enhance the tension and atmosphere. the newer games have tried to... shove everything in. too many cooks spoil the broth style, re6 is a perfect example of this. if capcom want to make resident evil a survival horror game again, they need to strip back the gameplay and pull it back to its core, and then build around that instead of just layering more and more shit onto the re4 template.

Clare looks terrible.

Why not just use her Degeneration look?

Because this chick has been through 3 zombie outbreaks. Possibly even more stress due to Terrasave trying to save people from Bio-Terror attacks and such. She's 35. She's not supposed to look good at this point. i don't even see how Jill looks the same age as she did in RE1/REmake.

I don't mind that people don't find her attractive, I just think that she should look "younger" is pretty fucking silly.

RE6 wasn't trying to be an actual old-school RE game despite the claims.

EulaCapra

:looks at pictures:

That's not Claire! That's just some rando brunette with a ponytail! Resident Evil faces change so much you might as well consider them new characters lol.

Alfredo

I do not believe the phrase "bringing the series back to its roots" one bit. People claimed the original Revelations to be that way, but I could not find that to be further from the truth. I bet the game will have a "spooky atmosphere" and that's probably all you're gonna get in terms of "survival horror," which is fine. I like spooky atmosphere.

I absolutely HATED Revelations, but I feel pretty confident that this game will probably not be much like the original.

I mean, for one, the character designs (so far) don't look outlandishly cartoony and out of place.

And hopefully the Genesis device is gone for good, now that 3D isn't a gimmick to make use of anymore.

Still, if there aren't any crazy melee attacks, I'm gonna be disappointed. Even the original Revelations had a weird melee system, which was neat, I guess.

I'm also going to be forever spiteful if they really do replace Claire's VA. :( I'm still excited to play the video game, however.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Who doesn't think Claire looks attractive? What 35 year olds have you been looking at? She looks good even compared to people in their ~20s.

Riposte

I know exactly what it means when I use that word.

By the virtue of Resident Evil 6 having more mechanics interacting with each other (i.e., more probability space) at any given moment, it is more complex than, say, Resident Evil 1. You can make an argument for RE1's level design having more depth in the "strategic" sense, as in what occurs over a sequence of rooms, but there's not a lot going on in the tactical sense compared to a full-blown TPS with more kinds of options and obstacles. BTW, this isn't about the older games being too hard for me - they actually lean towards less challenging than the peak difficulty of the newer games. The survival mechanics people praise, and should praise for that matter, are more about instilling a certain feeling rather than making the game brutally difficult or whatever people want to hype this stuff up to while making themselves sound like an "old school" "hardcore gamer".

Teknoman

I just want a standard quick button dodge mechanic ala 4/5. And enemies that react to specific shots, with actual tells that they've been "hurt".

Hell yeah, so more like Code Vernoica X where Chris became playable.
Moira can't fight, she just has a flashlight, but player 2 in Co-op plays as her.
who would want to play as Moira !!
The image of Moira's flashlight blinding an Afflicted gives me hope. It would appear that if you run out of ammo or health, Moira is your only hope at staying alive as Claire.

That type of asymmetry could work really well in a CO-OP survival horror game. CO-OP doesn't just mean more guns in the mix. Each person is severely weakened when their partner isn't around.
Agree, and as cool as this is, I believe very few would be interested playing Moira, the concept is cool, but when it comes to 2 players, it just ....., I don't know, I hope Capcom proves me wrong.
Jill's evolution
So she does have the same face, but that's simply because her face doesn't have any particular details, it's just a generic pretty face that wouldn't be recognizable out of context, so changing the hair colour drastically alters her appearance. I mean seriously, I would not have known this girl is the same character as this girl without being told.
Jill looks her best in 2007 and 2010, and 2010 remains my favorite.
20100514165019!Jill_Valentine_BSAA.jpg

I personally think Capcom should find their top look at just make it fixed, rather than having a new look every title, some which look totally awful, then again how would they find the one true look where fans have different favorites.
RE6 Chris is best Chris

Also, 2002 and 2007 Chris looks like Piers Nivans.

chris_redfield_s_evolution_by_yokoylebirisi-d79ds49.jpg
Dayum, the memories, I totally see RE5-2009 as the best Chris, didn't like him in RE6 at all, not to mention his costume in RE5 was top notch, I liked how he went on steroids, and he is probably the reason I love RE5.
Can we at least give them a chance?
We haven't even seen gameplay yet.
Personally speaking, despite not liking Co-Op, I'm giving them a chance, just for one reason, Revelation 2 Co-Op/Partner may be 'The Last of Us' rather than RE6, so it could be interesting in terms of story telling and whatnot.

By the virtue of Resident Evil 6 having more mechanics interacting with each other (i.e., more probability space) at any given moment, it is more complex than, say, Resident Evil 1. You can make an argument for RE1's level design having more depth in the "strategic" sense, as in what occurs over a sequence of rooms, but there's not a lot going on in the tactical sense compared to a full-blown TPS with more kinds of options and obstacles. BTW, this isn't about the older games being too hard for me - they actually lean towards less challenging than the peak difficulty of the newer games. The survival mechanics people praise, and should praise for that matter, are more about instilling a certain feeling rather than making the game brutally difficult or whatever people want to hype this stuff up to while making themselves sound like an "old school" "hardcore gamer".

I think this the stark difference people miss. Also the older games do not lend themselves to be challenging after you've played them a bit. Besides maybe nemesis(depends on if you fight Nemesis really), REmake, and Zero, they're the same game. RE4,5,6 differ enough to not necessarily run into that problem.

KyleCross

I wish there were more fans who like both old and new styles, it's a bit insane how segregated the fanbase is.
I agree. For example I loved Resident Evil 6, but saying that is something that can get your opinion card revoked in the gaming community. I honestly think people have an agenda against RE6 with how much sheer hate is thrown its way, but I won't go there.

I'll just say this: I think every Resident Evil game has been enjoyable. Isn't that enough?

Teknoman

I agree. For example I loved Resident Evil 6, but saying that is something that can get your opinion card revoked in the gaming community. I honestly think people have an agenda against RE6 with how much sheer hate is thrown its way, but I won't go there.

I'll just say this: I think every Resident Evil game has been enjoyable. Isn't that enough?

RE6 has its good points, but people get pissed off about it because of so much squandered potential, not because its a bad game. Imo of course, but that really does seem like the case.

chemicals

I'll have to play this game so I can finally tie up the Barry story.. Always had a soft spot for that old bear. Poor, poor Barry. Tsk tsk.

Seyavesh

eh, i think it's pretty much expected. all the games except 6 are objectively good games (6 is arguable but i personally think it's a pretty bad game overall, despite how much i love it)

re1-zero all have similar/the same core gameplay design alongside the resource management gameplay aspect that adds to the very strong atmosphere of those games.
i think there's a pretty strong overlap for folks who love re1-zero because of how similar they are in their core gameplay design

re4, 5 and 6 all have differing design approaches in their core gameplay with similarities being related the sequels trying to push 4's core gameplay design in various directions in terms of evolution (5's co-op and 6's everything) so the split between the three makes sense

The survival mechanics people praise, and should praise for that matter, are more about instilling a certain feeling rather than making the game brutally difficult or whatever

please read this people aaaa

BTHR Zero X

NO! How dare you have an opinion and that opinion is that the OG RE are not the best ever!!!

...Ok I am joking of course

But I agree I have been playing RE Since the Playstation, and I love them all in some way.

Even the ones people hated, The Gun Survivours, Gaiden, Operation Raccoon City.

You know why, because of the story and the characters. I could care less about their looks. Because despite all the alterations you can still see that character in them regardless. Some may agree with me alot don't and say I am not a fan. The £1000's I have sunk into the series as well as the time shows I am a fan.

But series always change to some degree, it happens to Music, Books, Films, TV Shows. But some people do not see that, all they see is "OMG they have aged Claire people shouldn't age in a timeline of events" .... Seriously this is not Pokémon these characters are not Ash, Brock and Misty.

Xpliskin

*snip*

That "assistive" co-op sounds promising. This really is inspired by TLOU after all.
As per new info, Claire is in her thirties and "seasoned".
I'd guess this is the same jump from RE2 Leon to RE4 "you're right hand comes off"

Seyavesh

on-the-fly switching between claire and moira and 'assistive co-op'?

that is... a really strange approach to the gameplay

color me extremely interested in how they pan out the design based on this, especially considering that it's now confirmed that the game is designed around only having one combatant character in situations

that is drastically, drastically different from combative co-op which generally requires the combat scenarios/situations to be built around that

I don't disagree about RE6 being more complex from a combat mechanics standpoint, I think that's valid.

Obviously, that would never be my argument for an older RE game, as they are not shooters and would not benefit from RE6's gameplay -- two completely different style of games.

My comments are only in regards to the survival horror merits of this series, of which Revelations 2 is purportedly a "return" to, which I find hard to believe. In addition, it's in response to the argument that modern RE has rendered the classic RE style of horror obsolete or as "trash". I don't believe that any advances that RE6 (or RE4 or RE5 or Revelations) made in its mechanics has any positive bearing on the "horror" aspect, as it is not in service of it. To say RE6 is more complex in that area may mean that it is a better shooter than old school RE games are, but again, that is tangential to any sort of advancement in the survival horror element.

I accept that the RE6 direction is something different, though not what I want from this series. That being said, Revelations is considered to be "old school" alternative to this, something that I don't believe to be the case at all. The design philosophy of the game is heavily based on RE4-RE6, which were shooters-first, and as a result the game never felt right as the survival horror game Capcom promoted it as.

When I mention "complexity", it is in regard to the level design, the puzzles, the strategy of engage or evade, the ammo/health/save management, aspects that serve to make a better survival horror game. And yes, I consider 4-6 to be far less complex in those areas. That doesn't mean I think that anyone who says one of those games are better than the older games is wrong, or that arguing that they are deeper from a gameplay perspective is invalid, because they are so very different.

My only beef is when the new RE games are considered to be any sort of replacement for, or an evolution of, the classic games, which I don't agree with at all. The areas in which a game like RE6 excels, for instance...it's not something that I would consider to be an improvement on the areas in which REmake excelled. It's a moot point to me, especially when we are discussing the merits of a series supposedly "returning to its roots".

I like to think we are the silent majority.

The series is still hugely popular, people are buying the games like mad so the fans are there.

It's the king fanchise of two different genres, I would say RE4 is the greatest TPS/action game of all time. And the original RE games are still by far and away the best survival horror games ever made, of its kind, I mean survival horror as in old RE style games.

HeelPower

Very nice.

Though Claire in the image looks like Plastic surgery gone wrong lol.

Claire is generally one of the most likable characters in the REverse.

Hope there is some nice level design on what seems to be an explorable island.

I like to think we are the silent majority.

The series is still hugely popular, people are buying the games like mad so the fans are there.

It's the king fanchise of two different genres, I would say RE4 is the greatest TPS/action game of all time. And the original RE games are still by far and away the best survival horror games ever made, of its kind, I mean survival horror as in old RE style games.
I'm there to an extent. I do think the old-school games are awesome (sans RE0), but I also consider RE4 to be the best third person shooter I've played.

I think it's possible to like both styles, while also acknowledging that RE5/RE6/Revelations are each lesser efforts by trying to make everybody happy, instead of simply making the best survival horror game possible, or the best pure shooter possible.

Hell yeah, so more like Code Vernoica X where Chris became playable.

who would want to play as Moira !!

Agree, and as cool as this is, I believe very few would be interested playing Moira, the concept is cool, but when it comes to 2 players, it just ....., I don't know, I hope Capcom proves me wrong.

Jill looks her best in 2007 and 2010, and 2010 remains my favorite.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...e/7/78/20100514165019!Jill_Valentine_BSAA.jpg
I personally think Capcom should find their top look at just make it fixed, rather than having a new look every title, some which look totally awful, then again how would they find the one true look where fans have different favorites.

Dayum, the memories, I totally see RE5-2009 as the best Chris, didn't like him in RE6 at all, not to mention his costume in RE5 was top notch, I liked how he went on steroids, and he is probably the reason I love RE5.

Personally speaking, despite not liking Co-Op, I'm giving them a chance, just for one reason, Revelation 2 Co-Op/Partner may be 'The Last of Us' rather than RE6, so it could be interesting in terms of story telling and whatnot.
RE5 Chris face was great but in the regular costume the proportions were bad.
RE5 STARS Chris was the best all around.

Xpliskin

Ohhh holy shit.

I like what they're doing

The co-op is like in Resident Evil 0 (the "partner zapping system").

You can switch characters on the fly ! But only claire's health matters.

I'm kinda getting hyped, if it's like RE0 that is.

This isn't your usual co-op.

I'm there to an extent. I do think the old-school games are awesome (sans RE0), but I also consider RE4 to be the best third person shooter I've played.

I think it's possible to like both styles, while also acknowledging that RE5/RE6/Revelations are each lesser efforts by trying to make everybody happy, instead of simply making the best survival horror game possible, or the best pure shooter possible.

True. Personally I felt RE5 is absolutely amazing, the best co-op shooter for me. I like it more than any gears game. RE6 was fun but a bloated mess. Rev was them haphazardly trying to mix genres.

I see the decline to go hand in hand with the loss of talent from Capcom. Right now they don't know what to do. Instead of being leaders like RE the franchise has been, practically inventing entire genres, they are copying others. But lets face it, it was Mikami who created those games and no one at capcom is that good right now. The best we can hope for are great shooters. I just hope someone comes along and says "lets do something NEW". Maybe it is time for the third kind of RE title.

Nafta

Neo Member
Claire is back, nice!

I'm not a big fan of co-op in RE but in this case it could be something interesting.

Can we expect some visuals during TGS?

Seyavesh

RE5 STARS Chris was the best all around.

this is such a cool thing that folks usually overlook when it comes to gorilla chris

in the flashback sequence (LIN, stars outfit also uses this as base model) he is significantly smaller muscles-wise. he's still got big muscles, but it's like 80s action hero proportions

him roiding up is specifically due to getting wrecked by wesker and jill dying and i really wish the game started with LIN or the LiN finale or something like that so the difference was shown more

Top Bottom