• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New round of layoffs at Kotaku

Interfectum

Cracking Up Lol GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Kotaku YouTube channel has 350k subscribers yet their videos are barely scraping 1000 views. I'd wager the main Kotaku site doesn't get much traffic either.

Go click bait, go broke.
That’s nuts. That’s got to be among the worst conversion rates ever.

I just checked a few YT sites I like Action Lab and eater dude Zermott Neo. The avg views per video for recent videos is like 10% conversion for AL and like 30% for ZN. Of course that doesnt mean all views are by subbers. But at least there is some kind of ratio based off subbers or random people clicking. Kotaku at 1000 views (many less) is basically a zero given they are a gaming site. It’s be like a random YouTuber uploading a video of him mowing the lawn and it gets 50 views.

Kotakus rate…. I had to check it myself as it seemed so low and you’re right! It’s like 0.3% based off 1000 views per video! Lol.

When my buddies did a YT gaming site way back… I don’t think they’ve done anything in years even they get high view rates than that. Sometimes they’d do pretty good getting 2000 views from 2000 subs if they did a catchy call of duty vid.

It goes to show how shit the videos are. No subbers are watching it, and no random people looking for gaming info are finding it either. And nobody in gaming social media are telling people to check out their video with a link or embed because it’s worth watching. Worthless content.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
NeoGaf: I hate partisan politics in gaming
NeoGaf: Let’s mock people for losing their jobs because I don’t like their politics

Kotaku sucks and I don’t read that site but it’s ghoulish and bad karma to be giddily mocking job losses IMO.

I would respect them if they did not write social polution garbage and putrit gaming journalism.
Since thats not the case, no amount of "poor them job sob" posts will make me feel sad for them. People lost job everyday and I will feel pity for the ones who work decently, not everyone.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
NeoGaf: Let’s mock people for losing their jobs because I don’t like their politics

Kotaku sucks and I don’t read that site but it’s ghoulish and bad karma to be giddily mocking job losses IMO.

jOuRnALiSm

AmuroChan

I just checked a few YT sites I like Action Lab and eater dude Zermott Neo. The avg views per video for recent videos is like 10% conversion for AL and like 30% for ZN. Of course that doesnt mean all views are by subbers. But at least there is some kind of ratio based off subbers or random people clicking. Kotaku at 1000 views (many less) is basically a zero given they are a gaming site. It’s be like a random YouTuber uploading a video of him mowing the lawn and it gets 50 views.

Kotakus rate…. I had to check it myself as it seemed so low and you’re right! It’s like 0.3% based off 1000 views per video! Lol.

When my buddies did a YT gaming site way back… I don’t think they’ve done anything in years even they get high view rates than that. Sometimes they’d do pretty good getting 2000 views from 2000 subs if they did a catchy call of duty vid.

It goes to show how shit the videos are. No subbers are watching it, and no random people looking for gaming info are finding it either. And nobody in gaming social media are telling people to check out their video with a link or embed because it’s worth watching. Worthless content.

It's obvious that most of their subs are fake and bought.

dave_d

That's so bad I honestly think if I did a video on the purpose of floating point numbers it'd get more views than that. (Seriously I've thought of doing a video like that since so many fellow software developers don't seem to understand the purpose of them.)

AmuroChan

Probably just dead accounts. Their channel is almost 12 years old.

That many though? You don't see this kind of conversion rates with most other channels. It's an open secret that a lot of traditional media will buy subs and views in order to prop up their numbers so that advertisers don't abandon them.

bender

What time is it?
That many though? You don't see this kind of conversion rates with most other channels. It's an open secret that a lot of traditional media will buy subs and views in order to prop up their numbers so that advertisers don't abandon them.

Yes. Go look at DarkSydePhil's or Boogie2998's channels.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yesterday, G/O Media laid off a supremely skilled editor at Kotaku
Cracking Up Lol GIF

But still, sad to hear someone lost their job

Last edited:

dave_d

How is that even possible?
Well admittedly most documentation doesn't even go into it. I've literally never seen any floating point documentation mention sigfigs or scientific notation. Long story short floats are basically the computer equivalent of doing a calculation on a slide rule, IE scientific notation and sigfigs. (I'd hope back in the day if people saw their accountant pulling out a slide rule they'd have sense enough to fire the bastard, they're an idiot. These days so many software developers would do just that.)

zenspider

Karma is the consequences of your actions. Maybe it's bad taste, but they were early architects of this game, I think it's good that they're finally starting to lose after a decade of poison.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's obvious that most of their subs are fake and bought.
Got to be.

I checked out a few boardgame websites (they tell you how to play the game or review them), both sites have around the same number of subs as Kotaku in the 330-340k range each (just by luck), and their recent videos get about 5,000 views each. For Kotaku at 350k subs and 1000 views definitely seems odd and fishy. Even GameIndustryBiz's YT channel with only 3000 sub gets way more views as a conversion rate. Some of their vids get more views despite 1% of Kotaku's sub count.

But I didn't think of paid subs (my ignorance when it comes to social media and tech). Makes sense.

Last edited:

This is a false equivalence fallacy.

Posters from NeoGaf have literally zero impact on the industry, other than pay for games.

People from Kotaku and other outlets have the power to impact companies with bad reviews and ill-fated articles. The Insomniac leak being the most recent case. They jumped to the jugular with zero ethics and zero regard for THE JOBS of the people impacted by the leak.

So, no, it's not the fucking same. All this without taking into account their insidious politics, boycott campaigns, and the likes.

People who love this hobby can only rejoice at the dismissal of these cunts.

Top Bottom